Do we need a Video Game Map Thread?

Do we need a Video Game Map thread

• Total voters
I don't know... A single AAR thread can get really big when you consider all the pictures and comments that get posted. A master thread for video games might just get bloated and disjointed. I'd suggest a thread for each video game (HoI, Civ IV, etc.), but then we'd have to argue which games get their own threads...

Um... Sorry I can't be more conclusive about this.

I agree- if you have a long line of maps, then they'd probably be better in their own thread. (I think the same thing about the "mini-TLs" that occasionally show up in the Map Thread, they'd probably be better off in their own thread) Single maps can go in the Map Thread...

I think this form isn't packed yet. Perhaps in the future if it gets too crouded, but not now.

I support this idea. Video game maps (which I have an odd affinity for) tend to get lost in the Map Thread very quickly.

Thande

Donor
I think this form isn't packed yet. Perhaps in the future if it gets too crouded, but not now.

That's backwards. If it was crowded with threads, that would be an argument for saying we shouldn't have too many multiple map threads. As it isn't, we can - and the main map thread, as we've discussed before, moves way too fast, so anything to take the pressure off would be good.

I'd say yes, they seem a bit out of place in the main map thread.

That's backwards. If it was crowded with threads, that would be an argument for saying we shouldn't have too many multiple map threads. As it isn't, we can - and the main map thread, as we've discussed before, moves way too fast, so anything to take the pressure off would be good.

As I read it, the question is: Do we need a single "Video Game Map Thread". In stead of the multiple threads for different games.
I rarely see any game maps posted in the map thread anyway, or is my eyesight worsening!? So I dont see what this poll has got to do with the map thread?

Thande

Donor
As I read it, the question is: Do we need a single "Video Game Map Thread". In stead of the multiple threads for different games.
I rarely see any game maps posted in the map thread anyway, or is my eyesight worsening!? So I dont see what this poll has got to do with the map thread?

The reason you probably don't see many game maps in the map thread is because the map thread cycles way too quickly, as I say.

I'd estimate maybe one in 20-25 maps posted in the map thread is a videogame map.

I seem to have read this as "video game map forum"

I think so. I thought this thread was mainly intended to be a place where we could discuss actual, published, AH fiction (books, movies, TV etc). I would rather all games (video, computer, board) be in another place. There are big differences between talking about ideas in a book, and describing ones exploits in HOI.

In fact, there is a lot of good stuff in this thread which should perhaps be elsewhere - such as the map and flag threads, which started out as tie-ins to published AH or SF and then morphed into something quite different. Its all good stuff - it just should be in another place.