Dixieland: The Country of Tomorrow, Everyday (yet another Confederate TL)

I think the sh#t just hit the fan in Texas. Here's hoping the American vice president isn't as aggressive.
Who was Mahone' s vice president? Did he even have one?

I think the sh#t just hit the fan in Texas. Here's hoping the American vice president isn't as aggressive.
Who was Mahone' s vice president? Did he even have one?

It was Patrick Cleburne, the guy who was ruled to be a natural-born citizen because he was not Jesus.

Amusingly, every single President of the Confederacy so far has been a General from the U.S. Civil War. No US presidents except McClellan have, although Benjamin Butler came close to the presidency and Thomas Ewing Jr. served as Vice-President under Clay, which I think says something about the political culture of the two nations.

It was Patrick Cleburne, the guy who was ruled to be a natural-born citizen because he was not Jesus.

Amusingly, every single President of the Confederacy so far has been a General from the U.S. Civil War. No US presidents except McClellan have, although Benjamin Butler came close to the presidency.

So the Confederacy is now ruled by an Irish-born former General who really couldn't care much one way or another for the institution of slavery (in fact, in OTL, he supported freeing slaves who agreed to fight for the CSA) and is probably going to be roundly hated by the former ruling class. His rags to riches mentality, though, is likely going to go over very well with the lower class. And no one can doubt his bravery or military capabilities as he was known as the Stonewall of the West prior to his OTL death in combat. AND he's Catholic (I can already head the northern and Southern Protestants spinning conspiracy theories that the Pope had Mahone assassinated to get a compliant Catholic on in the Presidency to, somehow, sell out CSA interests to ... SPAIN!!!!! On a side note - what's Sidney Johnston Catts up to? Because he would be having a field day with this!). Hmmmmm

So the Confederacy is now ruled by an Irish-born former General who really couldn't care much one way or another for the institution of slavery (in fact, in OTL, he supported freeing slaves who agreed to fight for the CSA) and is probably going to be roundly hated by the former ruling class. His rags to riches mentality, though, is likely going to go over very well with the lower class. And no one can doubt his bravery or military capabilities as he was known as the Stonewall of the West prior to his OTL death in combat. AND he's Catholic. Hmmmmm

The institution of slavery has something pretty close to an expiration date in most states now, without any national intervention. It's clearly 1904, because that's when the first born-frees turn 18. And they are probably going to vote for the first people who go "uh, I'll emancipate your parents now" in every state where they're allowed to vote. Though I could see it persisting in Mississippi for longer because they've still got poll taxes and what not.

Horror at this inevitability is honestly probably what drives the rampant terrorism against the Confederate government. The Redeemers don't think they can win an election now - and they think their country is irredeemable by 1904.

Pennoyer's going to have one hell of a complicated legacy. On one hand he nearly provoked a war with Britain and firmly backed anti-Orientalism, and on the other hand he laid the ground work for increased labor rights and union legalization. And then to top it all off he gets blown up by confederate terrorists while desperately trying to back peddle away from losing midterms due to almost provoking a war.

Which in total is about what I expected of the guy after reading his wikipedia page.

The institution of slavery has something pretty close to an expiration date in most states now, without any national intervention. It's clearly 1904, because that's when the first born-frees turn 18. And they are probably going to vote for the first people who go "uh, I'll emancipate your parents now" in every state where they're allowed to vote. Though I could see it persisting in Mississippi for longer because they've still got poll taxes and what not.

Horror at this inevitability is honestly probably what drives the rampant terrorism against the Confederate government. The Redeemers don't think they can win an election now - and they think their country is irredeemable by 1904.

So, I have to ask - you responded to my post before I edited in the bit about the inevitable anti-Catholic conspiracies: What's Catts up too? He's gonna have to read his ugly head sooner than later! :)

The Redeemers have just signed their death warrant. Assassinating not only their own country's President but the US's will result in Redeemer organizations being broken up wholesale. And no quarter would be given.

I'm guessing that in this massive government crackdown you could see some crackpot Redeemer create a novel about toxic racist conspiracies.

The sooner the Confederacy can get a proper constitutional convention and shed their outdated and racist constitution the better.

I wonder if this'll lead to the US and Confederate relations taking a nosedive with their homegrown terrorists killing the US President. I imagine the Confederates will have to act very quickly indeed to prevent any bad feelings from growing too much. And we get the first hints towards the European conflict along with the maintaining of the UK-Qing alliance. Be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

However, during the parade through Dallas, several Redeemer terrorists tossed various bombs into their motorcade. Most missed and splattered the street, but two of them fell directly into the car, immediately exploding and killing all the passengers, including both Presidents.

That literally is one of the most unexpected twists I have ever come across

So, Dennis Kearney who I have no idea who he is, and Patrick Cleburne are now the Presidents of the US and CS respectively????

Well looks like things are going to get very interesting in North America.

Also what do the C.S. Army uniforms look like?

I bet would be like the late war CSA uniforms "Butternut" because it is the cheapest way to make them. But I could be wrong.

Also @TastySpam Great twist last chapter all I can say is

tumblr_nj9u4lOY6k1s2wio8o1_500.gif

So, no we have one Irsh-born Catholic [Denis Kearny] as US President and another Irish-born Catholic [Patrick Cleburne] as CS President. It will be interesting...
And while the fact that Cleburne is eligible was rammed through the Confederate Supreme Court, how did they successfully make Denis Kearny the VP of the United States? I'd like to hear from the Author on this one. Is Dennis Kearney (with two n's) supposed to be someone else other than the California Labor Leader of the time?

BTW, the new President's first name has one n, not two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Kearney

And the "but not a Lunatic" apparently does not apply to new Kearney.

Well, both the CSA and USA presidents are Cork men. However, although the CSA Court ruled that the natural both citizen aspects of the Constitution were pretty much null and void, the US courts have not done so. So I don't know how we have ended up with an Irish-born US president?

Well, both the CSA and USA presidents are Cork men. However, although the CSA Court ruled that the natural both citizen aspects of the Constitution were pretty much null and void, the US courts have not done so. So I don't know how we have ended up with an Irish-born US president?

Oops, didn't know he was born in Ireland. Time for a retcon...