Diversity Maximized World Map | Atlas Altera

Would you consider making a "flat" version of your world map in the form of a png similar to q-bam? While your NatGeo stylistic map is aesthetically pleasing, I think more of a blank bare-bones "political" map would help make the borders and distinctions clearer. Otherwise, fantastic work as always!

Would you consider making a "flat" version of your world map in the form of a png similar to q-bam? While your NatGeo stylistic map is aesthetically pleasing, I think more of a blank bare-bones "political" map would help make the borders and distinctions clearer. Otherwise, fantastic work as always!
I think it's possible for me to do so, sure. I might just do a country-name-only classroom political map one of these days.

Rixe (board game) - 60 territories version
Altera_Rixe_60territories_AH.jpg

Zveiner and I made this Risk game for the r/atlasaltera community. To see a larger version, go to my Deviantart. You can also download a 3 feet png file and print off your own tabletop version if you support me through my Patreon.

There isn't too much lore to say here. If this is your first time seeing the project, check out the preface on the website or read through my responses to questions on my first post on ImaginaryMaps.

Minor tweaks on gameplay:
  • Maritime invasions are 2:2 for dice rolls between attack and defense, with defense trumping in ties.
  • There are 60 territories instead of 42 (territory cards will come later this month).

Last edited:
Wiki-style Map of Language Families
This is a language family map for Atlas Altera and is based on the primary language used by a state. There are over 200 represented here (hence the colour theory nightmare). To put it in perspective, in OTL, only about a dozen language families can be represented on the political world map.

Altera_Data_Generating_LanguageFamilies_AH.jpg

Check out https://www.atlasaltera.com/language-families for a full legend of the language families, inspired by the Periodic Table of Elements.
For those interested in taking a closer look, all the linguistic data for Altera has already been released on my Patreon.
Join us on r/atlasaltera and stay tuned for a future version that will be fully interactive.

For more on Altera or if this is your first time introduced to the project, check out my videos on YouTube, see my Deviantart for my maps, or see the comment thread of my first post for questions answered.

On a more personal note, I've been itching to share this as I worked to fix all the glitches over the winter break. I have not been able to fully imagine what the language spread of the world I created until now, when I generated this map with my data set. So although this map doesn't look like much, it's a bit of a personal milestone haha.

PS: yes, there are new additions/countries on this map from the update that I am releasing later in January. Consider this a sneak peak / first look.
1641847034663.png

Last edited:
Yes, sort of At the moment, I only am working with Excel, but I am slowly but surely building up the makings of a database. The language spreadsheet was prioritized and completed, so every autonomous territory is logged there, for a total of 1362 unique territories/entries. That spreadsheet is currently still being used internally, but I have made it available on Patreon.

As for the food staples/domestications spreadsheet, and the general factbook, there is only this so far, corresponding to the content published via map plate posts on the website:

I am also collaborating on an interactive version for the map where people can see what language is spoken per state.

Is there a complete list of countries and their people?
Actually, here's a little sneak peak that I captured off Instagram of that interactive map coming down the line:

Nine Mandalas
Here's a historical map, circa 1600s, of the Southeast Asia version of Altera, so Sumatrea and nothern Tamirea. For a larger image, see the Deviantart.

Altera_Historical_Mandalas_Framed.jpg

The Nine Mandalas at their Height c. 1600 - The Political Leagues of Sumatrea and Tamirea Prior to Company Rule.

Nine Mandalas.
At the turn of the 17th century, nine political entities rule much of the oceanic continent now called Gandrasea. Within Gandrasea, these political entities spanned across the region of Sumatrea and the northern half of Tamirea, effectively controlling the production source of some of the most sought after spices and commodities before the rise of European dominance and Company Rule in the region. Portuguese presence is marginal, the Spanish are unable to break into the monopoly despite their recent capture of the northern Miniras, and the Flemish East Indea Company is still in its exploratory stage in mapping the furthest reaches of the region, all the while the British bide their time.

Rings of powers. Mandalas are a way of referring to political leagues or blocs in which power radiated from maritime-based city-states. Unlike formal empires, mandala rule was based on large degrees of local autonomy, balanced cultural hegemony from the core city-state. But they were also more than military alliances, and tributes and regional tariffs and trade policies were the norm.

Indean origins. This form of political relation stems from contact and cultural diffusion from nearby Indea. In fact, it was the Chola invasions and explorations of much of Sumatrea and northern Tamirea that led to the establishment of such a dense and complex network of regional trade. Indean exploration of the eastern Emporic followed whiffs of cloves, nutmeg, and sandalwood, leading them to go beyond the spice-adorned isles of the Malukus all the way to Tamirea and its vast interior Chandara Sea, as well as beyond the ocean to a new frontier marked by the Rovianas and Solomas.

Cultural legacies. Despite Flemish dominance in much of the region in the 18th century and eventual British takeover in the 19th century, much of the territorial and cultural divisions of the former mandalas remained largely static, even when they were grouped into colonial presidencies with new political centres or cores. A lasting legacy from the Mandala Period, for example, is that religious patterns of Hindu and Muslim sects, as well as literary traditions, can all be explained from the cultural connections made during tis period. Foodways and agricultural techniques also spread during the period. Hardy staple crops were brought over to Indea from the drought-prone areas of Dinataga and Irini, and in exchange, advanced irrigation techniques from Rajputana made it over to much of Tamirea.

Support this kind of content. To access in-depth lore and footnotes, or to download a high resolution print-quality version join the Patreon! Your funds will go to supporting future collaborations and commissions for Atlas Altera.

Last edited:
A World Steeped in Steeps
Here's to the drinks that keep us going! This is a map I did with Zveiner. It features the staple steeps preferred by every state in Altera. To view a larger version of the graphic, go to my Deviantart. Also, it goes along with this video.

What is a steep? A steep is basically the go-to drink that people in different cultures keep going back to, every few hours, or day by day. It's something we rely upon for work, for more formal social functions, or just to get up first thing in the morning. It's coffee, tea, even hot cocoa, plus more! I've long been fascinated by ethnobotany. I sometimes lament that we no longer drink all the wonderful things that kept our ancestors awake or energized throughout the day. Thankfully, Atlas Altera gives me the latitude to explore a world brimful with different steeps.

The map style is an ode to the aesthetics at the turn of the last century. You see on the map the supposed or hypothetical originary points of domestications, as well as the preferred staple steeps of every country. The text blurbs on the map add more "colour" in the sense of giving details on cultural variations of the steeps/drinks from one part of the world to the next. Then there are little blurbs or introductions to each steep on the legend, as well as two corner maps that focus only on tea and coffee. I highly encourage you to search up the scientific names of each of the steeps I've listed (as I sometimes use a different name than the OTL name). A mildly stimulating adventure awaits...

Altera_Steeps_AH.jpg

Support this kind of content:
To access in-depth lore and footnotes (such as the spreadsheet of detailed linguistics information/data that goes with this map), or to download a high resolution print-quality version join the Patreon! Your funds will go to supporting me as well as other collaborators of the project. Otherwise, please join the community around this project on r/AtlasAltera or Discord (link in the subreddit).

Last edited:
Batting Around the World
Here's a map featuring the four most prominent bat-and-ball or safe haven games to be played professionally around the world of Altera. Even though I'm not into sports myself, I recognize the connection between sports and games with culture, and I'm very interested in painting culture with broad-yet-interesting strokes to give people helpful clues of what's going on in the countries of Altera.
Altera_Sports_SafeHaven_AH.jpg
For a better version of the map, view it here.

Support this kind of content:
To access in-depth lore and footnotes (such as the footnotes that goes with this map), or to download a high resolution print-quality version join the Patreon! Your funds will go to supporting me as well as other collaborators of the project. There's also a special offer of receiving two free vinyl stickers in the mail right now for anyone who pledges this month.

Otherwise, please join the community around this project on r/AtlasAltera or Discord (link in the subreddit). I'm also doing backstage-style discussions for this project with my friend, which you can watch on YouTube. I'm hoping to start a new style of shorter videos too, so do subscribe to the channel to stay tuned.

African Lects | Sprouting from Babel
This is a map for the Atlas Altera project, and is the first map for a new series of maps I will be racing to pump out over the next little while as I work to completing my linguistics spreadsheet for the whole project. This one is on Africa, and the next ones will also be continent-based. Each country depicted has an easy to Google 3-letter code that corresponds to an OTL / real ISO-639-3 code for a lect/language. I urge you to search some of these up. There are so many interesting Wiki rabbit holes awaiting you!
Languages_Africa_AH.jpg

For a better version of the map, plus all the corresponding OTL languages written out, see the Deviantart version.

Crucean Lects | Sprouting from Babel
I have to admit - I am still trying to work out why France seems to be under the Greenwich Meridian, even though Paris is the meridian of a separate time system.

I have to admit - I am still trying to work out why France seems to be under the Greenwich Meridian, even though Paris is the meridian of a separate time system.
I think the implication is that Revolutionary France established decimal time with the Paris meridian, which was abolished by *Napoleon but eventually emulated by the Eastern European revolutionary regimes. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use a meridian somewhere within their own territory – maybe at the Pulkovo Observatory south of St Petersburg – but I don't think it's necessarily a ridiculous choice not to, particularly if they planned on spreading the revolution westward.

I think the implication is that Revolutionary France established decimal time with the Paris meridian, which was abolished by *Napoleon but eventually emulated by the Eastern European revolutionary regimes. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just use a meridian somewhere within their own territory – maybe at the Pulkovo Observatory south of St Petersburg – but I don't think it's necessarily a ridiculous choice not to, particularly if they planned on spreading the revolution westward.
Yeah, that's kind of what the thinking was for us, plus the idea that Paris would be recognized as the beginning of it all, and honoured as the original centre of radical political transformation.