Diversity Maximized World Map | Atlas Altera

Factions of WW2
Looking Back from 1945 - Factions of WW2 in Altera
Altera_WW2_Factions_AH.jpg

And another map to build the lore further for Altera's WW2 era...

This map shows how the Second World War war played out from the perspective of the Society of Nations (SoN), who have more teeth than the analagous League of Nations did in OTL. In ATL, the SoN's measures for intervention, though not as mature as they will be by the end of the century, are enough to be activated so that a collective security mission is triggered when Germany invades Polony. Member states are compelled to either commit to the war effort with aid or directly form part of the coalition forces in the fight.

Neutrality is not an option for members of the SoN for collective security missions. States who were originally sympathetic to the Axis, but who wished to bide their time, ejected themselves out of the SoN and declared neutrality.

You can see that from the beginning of the war, there were a lot more problematic factions or alliances that the SoN could not contain, but as Germany alienated its former (pragmatic) allies in the Comintern Bloc, and as the Allies successfully curried a truce between the Comintern Bloc and Norway and White russia, the tide quickly reverses for the Axis.

World of Ketchup Infographic (Visual Cosmopolitanist Infographic)
Ketchup World - The Way Ketchup Spread Across Altera
Altera_Ketchup_Infographic_AH.jpg

Zveiner and I did this infographic to pay homage to ... ketchup—and its interesting history. It is done in the style of a Visual Capitalist infographic.

Some cool TILs:
  • Did you know thhe word ketchup or catsup likely comes from Hokkien, koe-chiap, for "pickled fish brine"?
  • Did you know that before the tomato form became synonymous with the term itself, there was also mushroom ketchup or even white (horseradish) ketchup (as shown by Max Miller from Tasting History)?
  • Did you know that the related sauces of A1 and HP are defined by using raisins and tamarind, respectively?
This mapping exercise is partly inspired by Weird (Fruit) Explorer, who sometimes experiments with making ketchup from obscure fruits he encounters. To a lesser degree, it's also informed by the tidbits from people like Max Miller and Townsends. And a recent TED-Ed video on the history of ketchup inspired me to revisit the Wikimedia-style map on ketchup I made awhile ago and turn it into this much more satisfying infographic.

If you recall, some of the other more serious ethnobotany maps we developed include:

Ketchup World - The Way Ketchup Spread Across Altera
View attachment 900816

Zveiner and I did this infographic to pay homage to ... ketchup—and its interesting history. It is done in the style of a Visual Capitalist infographic.

Some cool TILs:
  • Did you know thhe word ketchup or catsup likely comes from Hokkien, koe-chiap, for "pickled fish brine"?
  • Did you know that before the tomato form became synonymous with the term itself, there was also mushroom ketchup or even white (horseradish) ketchup (as shown by Max Miller from Tasting History)?
  • Did you know that the related sauces of A1 and HP are defined by using raisins and tamarind, respectively?
This mapping exercise is partly inspired by Weird (Fruit) Explorer, who sometimes experiments with making ketchup from obscure fruits he encounters. To a lesser degree, it's also informed by the tidbits from people like Max Miller and Townsends. And a recent TED-Ed video on the history of ketchup inspired me to revisit the Wikimedia-style map on ketchup I made awhile ago and turn it into this much more satisfying infographic.

If you recall, some of the other more serious ethnobotany maps we developed include:
Nice, this is another great exploration of the world of Altera, and decidedly unexpected, so am looking forward to what other ideas you guys have to explore for this.

Definitely some surprises, such as peaches and cherries. Just one question though, is the Western Europe Prussian Blue/Blue-Grey supposed to be as our timeline, or what fruit ketchup is that supposed to be?

Keep up the fascinating work :)

Nice, this is another great exploration of the world of Altera, and decidedly unexpected, so am looking forward to what other ideas you guys have to explore for this.

Definitely some surprises, such as peaches and cherries. Just one question though, is the Western Europe Prussian Blue/Blue-Grey supposed to be as our timeline, or what fruit ketchup is that supposed to be?

Keep up the fascinating work :)
Thanks for the interest! So the peach and cherry bits are inspired by my observations of how there are a lot of Chinese American sauces that are really just sugar + vinegar with a hint of fruit (kind of like orange and lemon sauce in Cantonese cuisine) and the fruit is often stone fruit. These are sauces used with spring rolls, sometimes known as duck sauce, and these also resemble the more "authentic" Pekin duck-style plum sauce. So ya, plum sauce, and just sugar + vinegar sauce, led me to think that I could explore more sauces made with adjacent fruits.

The Western European version of ketchup is a raisin-based one, which in OTL, is closest to what we know as A1 sauce, I believe. The one with tamarind is what is closest to what we in OTL know as A1 sauce.