Divergent Longitudes: an East-West swap scenario

The closest Japan had at around that time is the Tokugawa, and they also reign at similar time periods as the Hanovers did in Great Britain.
Well, was thinking of a foreign dynasty as an equivalent of how the Hanoverians were notable for being Electors of Hanover before taking the British throne (with George I IIRC not knowing English when he became King).

Yeah, the comparison is too good to pass up. Though in that case Britain would need an ancient ruling dynasty that rules the island for thousands of years, similar to the house of Yamato. Maybe a native chieftain of dubios historicity is regarded as the royal ancestor of this British dynasty, similar to Emperor Jimmu in Japan? And a celtic folk religion takes the place of shintoism (though Christianity also exists, similar to Buddhism in Japan)?
Yes, and if you think about it the whole King Arthur myth already serves as a basis for something like that
Which leads to my second point...
So for Japan to be a more accurate British analogue, the House of Yamato can't rule it for a thousand years like irl, so maybe a harsher end of the Heian Period that ends with the House being overthrown or going extinct can happen, with the Minamotos taking over.
Which I guess means the last (good) Yamato ruler(s) get romanticized to the point of being turned into a mythological king who one day would come back in a messianic return to save Japan

Maybe have Koreans conquer the place as an equivalent to the Norman Invasion?

Which means Korea would take the place of France in this TL. They’re pretty much the only ones who fit in that role, mainly due to their proximity to Japan, thus mirroring the Anglo-French rivalry in Europe.

And on that note, what would be the Hanoverian equivalent?

Probably the ruling house of some minor Chinese kingdom. Which reminds me, @shearsforest would have to invent names for dozens of new kingdoms in Asia, and an even larger number of ruling houses, which doesn’t sound like an easy task.

Which means Korea would take the place of France in this TL. They’re pretty much the only ones who fit in that role, mainly due to their proximity to Japan, thus mirroring the Anglo-French rivalry in Europe.

Probably the ruling house of some minor Chinese kingdom. Which reminds me, @shearsforest would have to invent names for dozens of new kingdoms in Asia, and an even larger number of ruling houses, which doesn’t sound like an easy task.
Concerning that latter one, the collapse of the Western Roman Empire should help as a framework for how to go about with the 16 Kingdoms period. All we need is to keep China fragmented.

Concerning that latter one, the collapse of the Western Roman Empire should help as a framework for how to go about with the 16 Kingdoms period. All we need is to keep China fragmented.
What would the Northern/Xianbei Wei equivalent be, on that note? Maybe the Goths considering the Visigoths and Ostrogoths were IIRC among the more Romanized of the Romano-Germanic Kingdoms with the Ostrogothic Kingdom being notable for how the Senate (and much of the day-to-day administration and elite) operated as if nothing of great significance happened in 476 with games still being held in the Colosseum (in the form of beast hunts) and Circus Maximus and Consuls and urban officials for the city were still being appointed until the Gothic Wars? Heck, even IOTL, Theodoric the Great was able to temporarily unite the Visigothic and Ostrogothic Kingdoms.

Last edited:
I wonder what he'll do with Canton, both the southern Song & Ming held power for quite a while if he wants a byzie equivalent(you could even make a analogy between the Jurchen and the Turks with the Qing & Ottomans respectively) but on the other hand considering the OTL european colonization I'd love for TTL Macau to be a Portugal of sorts for irony sake

Could the Asians be more bold and take OTL Brittany as a territory?
Japan might I think, which would make it even funnier if this Japan is Britain and Britain is Japan because then you'd have a Japanese Brittany
But speaking of France, I wonder if it would be feasibly for the asian "France"(Korea? If following previous comments) to have a protectorate on the european equivalent of Indochina

A hannover equivalent requires a "holy chinese empire" to have fractured houses and weak enough authority marrying the various duchies is viable

INTERLUDE // Julian — AMIJITEN article
Not logged inSign upLog in
1663270183679.png

AMIJITEN
🔍Search...

🔒 This is a medium-risk article. Edits have been limited to registered users.🔒
Julian
(
READVIEW SOURCE ARTICLE HISTORY DISCUSSION)

from Amijiten, the public information database.

80A37A40-72DF-4C0D-A1F8-4B45E42D7DC7.png

日付と名前は、一部の視聴者のためにニッポニア語[1]から「英語」[2]コンラングと即興ユリウス暦[3]に翻訳されています。元の記事にアクセスするには、ここをクリックしてください。

Dates and names have been translated from Nipponian[1] to the "English"[2] conlang and Improvised Julian[3] calendars for some audiences. To access the original article, click here.

Julius Caesar (12 July 100 BC – 4 September 28 BC), or Julian, was officially the first Roman emperor who reigned from 44 BC until his death in 28 BC. He is known for being the founder of the Julian dynasty, the first dynasty of the Roman Empire, and is renowned by historians as one of the greatest leaders in human history. His cognomen was subsequently adopted as a synonym for "Emperor"; the title "Caesar" was used throughout the Roman Empire.

Caesar was an accomplished author and historian as well as a statesman; much of his life is known from his own accounts of his military campaigns. Contemporary accounts of him vary from praise to disdain, and controversy has erupted over some aspects of his wars of conquest and his brief periods of reforms in between campaigns, largely sparked by assessments from the succeeding Augustine dynasty. Ever since the mid-20th century, scholars have largely shifted their perspective, creating considerable discussion on the actual nature of his policies and reforms. Regardless, according to eurologist Zhen Yichang, "few would contest the view that the achievements of his reign have exercised a paramount influence on the whole of Europe's subsequent history, marking the start of an epoch that ended in 1911".

AUTHOR NOTES:
[1] A form of Japanese, partly influenced by neighboring Chinese and Korean languages.
[2] A conlang that imagines a Brythonic language with greater influence from Anglic and European dialects.
[3] An adjusted form of the Julian calendar that corrects discrepancies by fixing the leap year system. Equivalent to the Gregorian calendar.

Last edited:
Japan might I think, which would make it even funnier if this Japan is Britain and Britain is Japan because then you'd have a Japanese Brittany
But speaking of France, I wonder if it would be feasibly for the asian "France"(Korea? If following previous comments) to have a protectorate on the european equivalent of Indochina

I don’t think it’s feasible to transpose all of Asia onto Europe, the latter is simply too small for that. The way I see it, continental Europe is supposed to represent just China, which means the equivalents for the various Asian countries that are bordering China would be located at the periphery of the European continent. So Britain is Japan, and Korea is maybe Ireland or Scandinavia, Tibet is possibly Anatolia or the Caucasus, and Taiwan maybe is Sicily or Cyprus or something like that. In which case I think the most plausible equivalent for South-East-Asia (Indochina, Siam, Indonesia etc.) would be North Africa and the Levant.

So this TL’s version of Indochina could either be Egypt (with the Nile mirroring the Mekong), or maybe Morocco. Gibraltar could be the new Hong Kong, and either Djibouti or Aden could be the new Singapore (due to their strategic location between the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, mirroring Singapore’s location between the Pacific and the Indian Ocean). If we follow colonial history in Asia, then Europe itself won’t be directly colonized, just like China wasn’t (with the exception of small foreign concessions and ports like Hong Kong and Macau).

The big question in all this is if India remains as it is, or if it assumes a different role, because there’s no other country or region in the world that could take India’s place, mostly because (other than China) no other place could realistically support such a large population. If Japan is Britain, and is supposed to take Britain’s place as the world’s most powerful global empire, then it pretty much needs to colonize India. There is no other place that would be of equal value. In which case this TL’s equivalent for the Ottoman Empire would probably be located in South-East-Asia. Maybe a more successful Khmer empire that conquers most of S.E Asia and Indonesia and disrupts trade between India and East Asia, thus creating an incentive for the East-Asian countries to sail east to explore a different route to India, leading to the discovery of America?

So Britain is Japan, and Korea is maybe Ireland or Scandinavia, Tibet is possibly Anatolia or the Caucasus, and Taiwan maybe is Sicily or Cyprus or something like that. In which case I think the most plausible equivalent for South-East-Asia (Indochina, Siam, Indonesia etc.) would be North Africa and the Levant.
personally i hold out hope for japan as Scandinavia and Korean britan, but i don't think taiwan makes sense for sicily or cyprus. it's too far away from the mainland for it to work and honestly could probably also be a strong britain analogue