Welcome to Disney Lives! This is a timeline created by myself, any contributions you wish to add can be requested in the inbox.

-

"I was just expecting a simple train ride to a place that Walt would enjoy. As I would too. If he hadn't met that engineer, I wonder if he would still be around for so long."- Ward Kimball, in a June 1998 interview

-

December 1948

Walt Disney was not feeling happy lately. He had recently suffered an injury that thwarted his hopes of playing polo. And the injury still hurt him. Walt's confidant Hazel George, spoke to him.

"I think you need a vacation, Mr. Disney." explained Ms. George. "There's apparently a Railroad fair in Chicago soon, where they'll have lots of trains."

Walt was immediately intrigued. He had been a major rail enthusiast as a child. A family friend worked on the Aitchison Topeka and Santa Fe as a worker. And Ward Kimball had recently shown him his private rail live, the 3ft gauge Grizzly Flats Railroad. Where as Walt himself had worked the Missouri Pacific Railroad's passenger trains as a teenager.

He knew his wife Lillian and his children wouldn't be interested. So he instead got one of his faithful employees. Ward Kimball. Who himself had been a long time rail enthusiast.

Ward naturally got ready when he got the call. Soon, the two were on the Santa Fe's premier Super Chief from Pasadena to Chicago. The railroad's president had arranged for the two to get a ride on board to cab of the diesels pulling the train. It was here Walt noticed the engineer eating several bags of licorice.

"Whatcha got all the candy for?" asked Walt.

"I'm using this to help me stop smoking." explained the engineer. "My doctor said it was the reason I had trouble breathing lately. So he suggested I begin eating something like this or Jelly beans."

"I dunno." said Walt thoughtfully. "Personally, I can't stand the idea of going one day with out a cigarette."

"That's what I thought at first too." replied the engineer. "But now, I feel much better. Why don't you try it?"

The engineer threw Walt a bag of the confectionary. Walt pondered the idea of following the man's footsteps for a while. Then he finally agreed. He took out a piece of licorice with the engineer's permission. Swallowed it... and enjoyed it. He soon took another, and another.

"Ward," said Walt, "Any idea where I can toss the rest of my cigarettes?"

(This is the POD. IOTL, the engineer and Walt never have this conversation.)