Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

Little ol' me caused this update? Oh dear... :eek: :p

Heart is the eponymous eighth studio album (and ninth overall album) released by Heart. Released in 1985, the album continued the band's transition into mainstream hard rock, a genre that yielded the band its greatest commercial success. Marking the band's Capitol Records debut, it spent 96 weeks on the U.S. Billboard 200 and became the first Heart album to hit number one, reaching quintuple platinum status. It also yielded the first number-one single for the band, "These Dreams,” along with four other top ten singles: “Never,” “Nothin’ at All,” “If Looks Could Kill,” and “We Built This City / Rock and Roll.” A sixth single, “If Looks Could Kill,” was a minor hit as well, reaching the Top 100. [1]

I love this album, personally, and I'm glad you decided to show us how it's doing. I never expected you to include that fifth song on there, but more on that later...

After substantially reworking the song, Ann Wilson called Robert Plant to secure his permission to use “Rock and Roll;” Plant was said to be thrilled with the result and frequently performed Heart’s complete “We Built This City / Rock and Roll” live during his 1988 Now and Zen tour, causing Rolling Stone magazine to note the “strange phenomenon of an artist covering an artist covering himself.” [3]

At 7:58, “We Built This City / Rock and Roll” is the longest Heart single to crack the U.S. Billboard Top 40, peaking at #9. It was recently named Rolling Stone’s 38th-best song of the 1980s. [4]

I seriously never expected you to take the worst songs of the '80s (possibly of all time) and mix it with a Led Zeppelin song! That instantly makes anything good. :D

38th-best song of the '80s, huh? I guess that proves my point...

Singles
Year, Single, Chart, Position
1985, “What About Love,” Billboard Hot 100, 9
1985, “Never,” Billboard Hot 100, 3
1985-86, “These Dreams,” Billboard Hot 100, 1
1986, “Nothin’ At All,” Billboard Hot 100, 11
1986, “We Built This City / Rock and Roll,” Billboard Hot 100, 9
1986, “If Looks Could Kill,” Billboard Hot 100, 63

This lets me know that "These Dreams" makes #1, and I'll have to find something to attract would-be listeners to Starship's version of "We Built This City"...

[1] I’ve had this one in the works for a long time, and I wasn’t going to post it right on the heels of True Colors – there are so many other topics to cover, after all! But once The Walkman started speculating as to “We Built This City,” I figured I’d better get this update out before one of my ridiculously sharp-eyed readers noticed "We Built This City" was a Taupin/Page collaboration, put two and two together, and spoiled the fun. :) Anyway: minus “We Built This City,” the album is pretty much as OTL.

Sorry about that...I should keep my mouth shut more often. :eek:

Also: if you have not listened to Heart performing “Stairway” at the Kennedy Center in front of Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones, you should go do that right now. Dirty Laundry can wait.

Huge Zeppelin fan as I am, I can seriously say: been there, seen that. ;)

[4] Yes, despite (or is it because of?) the fact that TTL’s “We Built This City” is a significantly better song throughout, it enjoys less commercial success and more critical appreciation. You’ll have to find something else to crown as “The Worst Song of the 1980s” in the Dirty Laundryverse. :)

Well, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" still has a good chance of doing it. :p

since you're doing music right now, any chance of getting some news about the country scene?

And on another note, perhaps you could save Keith Whitley?

Although it's a bit in the past now, I just wanted to say that I really like the idea of Billy Joel and Cyndi Lauper forming a partnership! Having never heard the "Code of Silence" song before (hey, he put out a lot of music, I can't be expected to know all of it :p), I agree that they do indeed harmonize very well with each other - like chocolate and peanut butter. And perhaps this might help extend her career ITTL? She collaborated so well with so many people in the 1980s IOTL, it's a bit of a shame that she couldn't sustain her own popularity. Maybe it's because she was so unpretentious - I can't imagine too many other huge pop stars "slumming" with Captain Lou Albano and the WWF.

On another note, my extremely high tolerance for 1980s cheese compels me to defend "We Built This City". Taken on its own, divorced from the context of it having been performed by the remains of a once cutting-edge, counter-cultural icon having long ago passed the point of selling out, I think it's a perfectly acceptable piece of pop inanity. It's obviously the contrast of those pretentious lyrics ironically being performed by that which music critics hate above all else - an act that is no longer "relevant".

In any event, keep up the good work, Andrew :)

You probably knew I was going to ask this...but what's Stevie Nicks doing now? :D OTL, she released Rock A Little, her third solo album, in November 1985; this was a somewhat uneven effort IMO in part because Jimmy Iovine, who had originally been slated to produce the album as he did Bella Donna and The Wild Heart, left the project partway through and was replaced by Rick Nowels. OTL, the album produced two Top 10 singles, "Talk To Me" and "I Can't Wait", and another song, "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You", while it didn't crack the Top 40 as a single IIRC, has since become one of Stevie's iconic concert staples, her traditional show closer. OTL, Stevie was having increasingly serious problems with cocaine addiction which would eventually put her in the Betty Ford Clinic the next year (and which would, ironically, eventually see her getting addicted again, this time to the medication, Klonopin, that she had been prescribed as part of her therapy, requiring another and longer rehab stay). Since The Wild Heart, lacking "Stand Back", has been less successful ITTL, have you had any thoughts as to what Stevie might do to try something new to get her solo career moving again? (Also at this time OTL, Fleetwood Mac was beginning the creative process that would lead to the release of Tango In The Night in April 1987 - and would also end up leading to the departure of Lindsey Buckingham from the band that August under circumstances both acrimonious and slightly confusing.)

I hadn't noticed this topic yet, mostly because I am actually not at all interested in alternate 1980s pop culture, most of which I didn't know. But when I came across your mentioning of Back to the Future (through Google, no less) I was immediately interested.

I have to say that I have a hard time relating to people not liking either Part II or III (I considered the trilogy great from the moment I saw it, and it never occurred to me to distinguish between films until much later) and I only ever had three complaints (so I remember anyway, but it's been nearly a month since I saw the last two and even longer for Part I, so I could be mistaken) - A, the fact that we never find out how in the finished, Eastwood Timeline Marty and Doc go from 2015 to 1955 if there is no alternate 1985 in-between, which is the only aspect of the films I can't rationally explain, B - the fast pacing in the early, 1955 scenes of Part III, complete with lots of Jules Verne exposition which doesn't entirely feel justified to me, in-universe at least, and C - the fact that we never really found out whether Doc will return home or not. Besides that, they're great, and the entire last scene of Part 2, starting from when Marty is burning the almanac (or perhaps even during the chase with Biff) to the reprise of the clock tower scene and the trailer is actually my favourite scene of the entire trilogy.

Nevertheless, your alternate film quadrology (that's the correct term, isn't it?) sounds very interesting as well, even with an alternate Marty (I still don't get what annoys you so much about MJF in drag), Jennifer and Linda. The other movies also sound interesting, which is my main complaint here: details! I am afraid that as a Back to the Future buff I am obsessed with the thought of an alternate version of the movies and I have no choice but to request every tiny detail about them. Some questions in particular that I'm interested in:

1. All right, so Back to the Future I is mostly the same to the one we know, right? Are there any subtle differences besides having different actors?

2. What is Part II like? I got from the scene about the future kids thing that it is still like the original ending (and thus the new beginning) but how do we get from there to the western environment that Part III has? Does Biff steal the time machine (sooner, I guess, since the future isn't really described until Part IV) and take it to the late 19th Century instead with a gift for an ancestor, rather than to his own past? Speaking of which, is it still 1885, or 1888, like in one of the earlier scripts? Subtle difference, I suppose, but I just feel like I have to know. By the way, when was Part II filmed ITTL? I take it that without some complexities OTL's version had and with Part I being released earlier anyway, it might have been released as early as 1988.

3. So, Part III is a mix of time periods which features among others Marty becoming a girl and, in the third act, Marty visiting 1967. So, how does that tie in to the last part - when, I presume, Doc still met Clara Clayton and everyone got back home when they belonged? (With or without Jules and Verne as kids, depending on whether Doc and Clara made it to the ride to the future or not). Did they alter history in the 1880s more than they imagined, and now have to spend time travelling to set things right? Or did they get home safely, and then decide to go time travelling for some random reason and just kept messing up Marty's family history (again) which I suppose climaxed in them going to 1967 to repair history? Does that mean that Part II was another stand-alone movie for a while, just like Part I IOTL, and then Part III and IV were made after it? This just reminded me of some BTTF fanfiction writer who became an original novelist and wrote a time travel series, one book of which featured something like that too (the protagonist going back in time to correct his family history and then travelling through various alternate timelines as things go horribly wrong and every time he goes back something else will turn out wrong).

By the way, it just occurred to me that since the timeline hasn't reached the late 1980s yet, you might end up describing all I could ask for and more in glorious detail eventually. I'm just going to write on for future reference anyway.

4. Part IV, you say, is a future movie and I believe also returns to 1955, so I suppose it's basically like Part II, although something must be wrong there if it is regarded as the weakest of the series (perhaps it is written differently so that rather than the cool look at the future, the horror of the alternate 1985, and a separate mission to 1955 that in the meantime ties in with Part I in an original and funny way, it is just a boring expansion of a short Part II scene depicting the future and a just as uneventful reprisal of 1955? But how does an almanac fit in there... or does it?) Anyway, how does Marty go from trying to fix his family history to somehow ending up back in the future? An error in the time circuitry? (By the way, that was one aspect I also liked about BTTF II: if you wanted to go somewhen, you could just hop into the DeLorean and go there, without having to worry about gas, time circuit error, plutonium, or even roads (because as we all know, where we're going we don't need them)) And do they get safely back home afterwards by just not getting mixed up in the thunderstorm and having a safe ride home to 1985?

By the way, if you haven't checked out The Game yet, I'll just warn you that whether you like it seems to depend on whether you view it as a game or as a continuation: experienced video gamers overall seem to have problems with it and occasionally dislike it for being too easy, while BTTF fans are often amazed by its quality (I, for one, immediately resorted to the hints and so forth whenever I got stuck because I wanted to know what would happen next in the game) although it does have a few factual errors.

Oh and BTW, the rest of your timeline is probably good as well - I don't know, because I haven't read it yet. :p

That's a very good point, and I think it's easy to go too far in one direction. I mean, everybody talks about how Nirvana knocking Dangerous off the number one spot in 1991 was a musical revolution (and it certainly was a big deal), but they seldom mention that Nirvana were themselves dethroned by Garth Brooks of all people, whose album went on to stay at number one for fucking sixteen weeks.

I think our human tendency is to construct narratives retroactively that (roughly) plug in correlations into something that sort of resembles a pattern. Change one data point, and that entire story unravels. At least, that's part of what I'm trying to do here.

Take a look around: you're halfway through a 1980s in which music was not dominated by Madonna, Prince, and Michael Jackson's weirdness and in which Michael J. Fox isn't the hottest film actor on the planet... and doesn't it still seem all right?

Holy $#1+, I do wish I had lived in the Dirty Laundryverse!

:D I couldn't ask for more!

I think you should branch out in the genres ;) Would be cool to see Chicago (the band I listen to at 3am when I'm drunk and... never mind :D).

Well, I think I've already said that Chicago 17 is as huge as OTL, and -- because so much of the writing was so close in time to the POD -- that it's virtually identical to OTL's version. And I've dropped a hint about the future of Chicago that you'll have to go back and find. :) And also: "25 or 6 to 4."

Also, I'm shocked that I've never listened to "Code of Silence" until now. After giving it a listen, though, I can attest that it's an awesome song, and I'm surprised it was never released as a single.

I think critics and stations didn't quite know what to make of The Bridge, which is kind of weird, because they seemed to get the "joke" of An Innocent Man (homages to different styles of music) just fine, and The Bridge is very much in that mold. If I had to take a completely wild stab in the dark, maybe it's because the key "piano" track on The Bridge ("Running on Ice") was never a single? Or maybe it's that the diversity of OTL's 1983 was homogenizing by OTL's 1986.

Same here. This TL is so unpredictable it's almost funny. In addition to music, we've had movies, TV, computers/video games, politics, and even baseball and basketball. I wonder what the next surprise will be?...

There's a pretty significant social issue blowing up in 1985 that's on my near-term agenda.

since you're doing music right now, any chance of getting some news about the country scene?

I will, but let me be honest: that requires a lot of work on my part, because I have so little familiarity with the source material.

Haha! Nice one!

There are two adjustments that would have made "We Built This City" a half-decent song IOTL. First, the producer should've taken Mickey Thomas aside and said, "Can you put some grit in this one? Sing it like you sang "Jane"!" (I imagine Ann Wilson, who's probably the best female rock singer of all time, would have that covered ITTL). Second, they should've cut back on the synth and replaced it with guitars. The excessive synths make it sound somewhat less than rocking, in my opinion (again, I suspect that's not an issue for Heart).

Like Brainbin, I enjoy "We Built This City" unironically, and I think the "Worst Song of All Time" bit really comes from the fact that it was put out by one of the most serious and thoughtful bands of the 1960s, and sung by Grace Slick of all people (and, of course, she was not shy about telling the world how much she hated the song even while it was hitting #1).

Let me put it this way: does anyone really think "We Built This City" is a worse song than, say, "Foolish Beat" by Debbie Gibson, which hit #1 in 1988? (I am assuming for the sake of argument that purely novelty or ego-driven releases, like Eddie Murphy's "My Girl Wants to Party All the Time" or Don Johnson's "Heartbeat," are ineligible.)

Have you ever listened to the Starship album Love Among the Cannibals, by the way?

I've heard "I Didn't Mean to Stay All Night," but no, I haven't.

I love this album, personally, and I'm glad you decided to show us how it's doing. I never expected you to include that fifth song on there, but more on that later...

It's a great album, and it introduced me to Heart's (great) stuff from the '70s. It almost certainly won't surprise you to learn that I think Bad Animals is criminally underrated, too.

I seriously never expected you to take the worst songs of the '80s (possibly of all time) and mix it with a Led Zeppelin song! That instantly makes anything good. :D

38th-best song of the '80s, huh? I guess that proves my point...

Interestingly, "We Built This City" is 144 bpm, and "Rock and Roll" is a relatively ponderous 85, so the fun of the song (as I imagine it) is that as it's winding to a close and slowing down, it transitions into Zeppelin.

This lets me know that "These Dreams" makes #1, and I'll have to find something to attract would-be listeners to Starship's version of "We Built This City"...

I have faith in you! :)

Although it's a bit in the past now, I just wanted to say that I really like the idea of Billy Joel and Cyndi Lauper forming a partnership! Having never heard the "Code of Silence" song before (hey, he put out a lot of music, I can't be expected to know all of it :p), I agree that they do indeed harmonize very well with each other - like chocolate and peanut butter.

I had to rush out the Heart album, so it's still a topical reply :)

If I were putting together a "best-of-Billy-Joel-that-you've-(probably)-never-heard-of," it'd include "Code of Silence," "Christie Lee," "All For Leyna," "Sleeping With the Television On," "Easy Money," "Running on Ice," and -- if I can cheat a little, since it appears on multiple compliations -- "Miami 2017." It wouldn't quite be a Greatest Hits album, but it'd still be pretty listenable.

And perhaps this might help extend her career ITTL? She collaborated so well with so many people in the 1980s IOTL, it's a bit of a shame that she couldn't sustain her own popularity.

It's almost certainly reading too much into things, but I've always seen Cyndi Lauper has having this fundamental humility/lack of self-confidence that drove her into sharing the spotlight IOTL. You described it as "unpretentious," and I think that's exactly right. Anyway, we'll see what happens here. :)

Also: I can't believe no one has noticed what this album is missing, and what that might mean in another area.... ;)

On another note, my extremely high tolerance for 1980s cheese compels me to defend "We Built This City". Taken on its own, divorced from the context of it having been performed by the remains of a once cutting-edge, counter-cultural icon having long ago passed the point of selling out, I think it's a perfectly acceptable piece of pop inanity. It's obviously the contrast of those pretentious lyrics ironically being performed by that which music critics hate above all else - an act that is no longer "relevant".

As I said above, I think this is absolutely correct. Give "We Built This City" to, say, Tiffany, and its legacy would be as yet another bit of pop-fluff instead of The Worst Song Of All Time. (Heck, isn't "We Built This City" better than "I Saw Him Standing There" already?)

You probably knew I was going to ask this...but what's Stevie Nicks doing now? :D

Rest assured that, in any timeline featuring Don Henley, tremendous care will be given to Stevie Nicks. :) I'm going to move on from music for a bit because the last few updates have been music-heavy, but you will find out, I promise.

And finally, EmmettMcFly55: first, welcome to the timeline, and second, I'll respond to some of your questions separately. Go ahead and give the whole thing a read if you've got some time; hopefully it'll entertain you. :)

Heavy

Banned
Like Brainbin, I enjoy "We Built This City" unironically, and I think the "Worst Song of All Time" bit really comes from the fact that it was put out by one of the most serious and thoughtful bands of the 1960s, and sung by Grace Slick of all people (and, of course, she was not shy about telling the world how much she hated the song even while it was hitting #1).

Let me put it this way: does anyone really think "We Built This City" is a worse song than, say, "Foolish Beat" by Debbie Gibson, which hit #1 in 1988? (I am assuming for the sake of argument that purely novelty or ego-driven releases, like Eddie Murphy's "My Girl Wants to Party All the Time" or Don Johnson's "Heartbeat," are ineligible.)

Fair enough. As I said, it's a song that I think I would like if it was subject to just a couple of small adjustments (namely easing off on the synthesizers and getting a somewhat tougher-sounding vocal performance out of Mickey Thomas). To me, it comes across like it should be an Adrenalize-era Def Leppard song, but it doesn't come across that way (I asked about Love Among the Cannibals because, to a significant extent, it does sound rather like Adrenalize-era Def Leppard :)).

I suppose it's unreasonable not to account for the state that Starship was in at the time as a group. Grace Slick was the only one who'd been there from the Airplane days (and she disliked the song intensely, as you've pointed out) but Mickey Thomas was very much the dominant personality in the band. I'm pretty sure I've read that when they started recording Knee Deep In the Hoopla (either that one or No Protection), Peter Wolf went to Craig Chaquico and told him it was going to be "a singer's album", ie. a Mickey Thomas solo record credited to Starship.

With all the talk about music, I think it's time for another update to the #1 songs of the Dirty Laundry Universe. It's a whole new year, and I'll be doing January-April 1984 today.

I told you '84 was going to be a tough year, but looking over the first four months of Billboard charts from said year, I can at least say that the first four months will probably be easy to predict. Case in point: heavy traffic from "Foolin'" and "All Night Long" have prevented "Say Say Say" by Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson from reaching #1, but when "All Night Long" falls off, I can see "Say Say Say" reaching #1 (becoming McCartney's ninth and Jackson's sixth #1 in both OTL and TTL). However, as opposed to the six weeks it racked up at #1 IOTL, the song will probably only spend two, maybe three weeks at the top here. I'm giving it two, because it's been on the charts for quite a while by this point.

The song that knocked "Say Say Say" from its perch IOTL was "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes, and looking at Andrew T's "End of Year Special" for 1984, I see that that song was Billboard's #22 song of 1984. Since Billboard gives songs that hit #1 pretty high rankings on their Year-End charts, I'm going to say Yes hit #1 ITTL as well, probably about as long as they did IOTL.

Speaking of Yes, rock music is going to be pretty prevalent on the charts in the first one-third of 1984. Huey Lewis & the News' "Heart and Soul", John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses", Genesis' "That's All", and the Police's "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and "Synchronicity II" hit the Top 20. None of them reached #1 IOTL, and sadly, I don't see them doing it ITTL either. Also, according to Andrew T's post on Third Stage, Boston's "Hollyann" looks like it hits the Top 20 at around this time, reaching #3, and probably detracting a few listeners from other rock songs at this time--with a notable exception, of course.

New wave isn't that prevalent at this point, but it does produce the first (and IOTL, only) #1 hit for Culture Club: "Karma Chameleon", which I've calculated will hit #1 for three weeks, as OTL.

Van Halen's "Jump" will definitely be the same phenomenon it was IOTL (probably even bigger due to the focus on rock music). IOTL, it spent a healthy five weeks at #1, and it almost certainly will spend at least that much at the top in this universe. But since "Ghostbusters" spent five weeks at #1 as well, I can't have it spend too much time at #1, since Billboard tends to make the song that spent the most time at the top of the charts their #1 song of the year. As such, I've put Van Halen at only five weeks at #1--the same as "Ghostbusters".

But which song will dethrone "Jump"? Since Cyndi Lauper is slightly bigger ITTL (she has three of the top 25 songs of 1984 in the Laundryverse, more than any other artist), I'll say she hits #1 with the song she's climbing the charts with, "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (the song made it to #2 IOTL--a very respectable position, but #1 is always better. Besides, it gives Lauper at least two #1's, since I know that "True Colors" won't make it to the top of the mountain).

To finish up, my calculations tell me that "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins and "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins will probably finish out April at #1. I'm assuming that both movies that the songs are from are as OTL (with the exception, of course, that Stevie Nicks probably isn't on the Against All Odds soundtrack).

Billboard #1 songs, January-April 1984
  • 1/7: "Say Say Say" - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson
  • 1/14: "Say Say Say" - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson
  • 1/21: "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - Yes
  • 1/28: "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - Yes
  • 2/4: "Karma Chameleon" - Culture Club
  • 2/11: "Karma Chameleon" - Culture Club
  • 2/18: "Karma Chameleon" - Culture Club
  • 2/25: "Jump" - Van Halen
  • 3/3: "Jump" - Van Halen
  • 3/10: "Jump" - Van Halen
  • 3/17: "Jump" - Van Halen
  • 3/24: "Jump" - Van Halen
  • 3/31: "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper
  • 4/7: "Footloose" - Kenny Loggins
  • 4/14: "Footloose" - Kenny Loggins
  • 4/21: "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" - Phil Collins
  • 4/28: "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" - Phil Collins

And with the exception of Cyndi Lauper, the #1 songs for this stretch turn out to be exactly the same as OTL! Funny how that works out. :D

Let me know if any of this needs to be changed, Andrew, and I'll be sure to do it!

1985 and the Small Screen

Top 30 TV Shows, by Nielsen Ratings, for the 1985-86 TV Broadcast Season [1]:‎
‎(New shows in bold)‎

‎1.‎ The Cosby Show (NBC), Thursdays at 8 pm
‎2.‎ It’s Your Move (NBC), Thursdays at 8:30 pm
‎3.‎ Murder, She Wrote (CBS), Sundays at 8 pm
‎4.‎ Miami Vice (NBC), Fridays at 9 pm
‎5.‎ ‎60 Minutes (CBS), Sundays at 7 pm‎
‎6.‎ ‎The Golden Girls (NBC), Saturday at 8 pm‎
‎7.‎ Who’s the Boss? (ABC), Tuesdays at 8:30 pm
‎8.‎ Kate & Allie (CBS), Mondays at 9 pm
‎9.‎ Dynasty (ABC), Wednesdays at 9 pm
‎10.‎ Cheers (NBC), Thursdays at 9 pm
‎11.‎ The A-Team (NBC), Tuesdays at 8 pm
‎12.‎ Shaping Up! (ABC), Tuesdays at 9 pm
‎13.‎ Cover Up (CBS), Fridays at 8 pm
‎14.‎ Night Court (NBC), Thursdays at 9:30 pm
‎15.‎ Dallas (CBS), Fridays at 9 pm
‎16.‎ Newhart (CBS), Mondays at 9:30 pm
‎17.‎ Monday Night Football (ABC), Mondays at 9 pm
‎18.‎ Knots Landing (CBS), Thursdays at 10 pm‎
‎19.‎ ‎Mr. Belvedere (ABC), Tuesdays at 9:30 pm‎
‎20.‎ Crazy Like A Fox (CBS), Sundays at 9 pm
‎21.‎ ‎MacGyver (ABC), Mondays at 8 pm‎
‎22.‎ Falcon Crest (CBS), Fridays at 10 pm
‎23.‎ St. Elsewhere (NBC), Wednesdays at 10 pm‎
‎24.‎ Remington Steele (NBC), Tuesdays at 10 pm
‎25.‎ Punky Brewster (NBC), Saturdays at 8:30 pm
‎26.‎ ‎The Lost Episode (CBS), Wednesdays at 8 pm
‎27.‎ Scarecrow & Mrs. King (CBS), Tuesdays at 10 pm
‎28.‎ ‎Lime Street (ABC), Saturdays at 10 pm‎
‎29.‎ Hardcastle and McCormick (ABC), Sundays at 8 pm
‎30.‎ ‎Hollywood Undercover (ABC), Saturdays at 9 pm

TV Guide’s Look Back at the Fall 1985 TV Season

There’s an old adage about two hikers who come across a bear in the woods. The one hiker ‎calmly begins lacing up his running shoes as his companion stares at him, incredulous. “You ‎can’t outrun a bear!” “No,” replies the first hiker, “but I can outrun you.” [2] Network ‎television shows are a lot like that first hiker: they don’t have to win their timeslot to survive; ‎they just have to outperform other shows on the same network.‎

With that in mind, we look at some of our favorite or noteworthy shows that are safe, on the ‎bubble, or facing cancellation from the three networks:‎

ABC

Safe: New hits Mr. Belvedere, Lime Street, MacGyver, and Hollywood ‎Undercover.‎

ABC diversified its television portfolio in 1985, even as the evening soap opera Dynasty ‎slipped from being the nation’s #1 show in 1984 to ninth despite facing essentially no ‎competition from the other networks. Sophmore sitcom Who’s the Boss (#7) and mainstay ‎‎Shaping Up (#12) anchored ABC’s Tuesday lineup, paving the way for their top new hit, ‎‎Mr. Belvedere, which finished the season as the 19th-highest rated program on network ‎television. [3] All in all, it was a healthy bounce-back season for 1984’s worst network.‎

Featuring the unlikely pairing of English stage actor Brian Blessed [4] and ballplayer-turned-beer-‎pitchman-turned-actor Bob Uecker, Mr. Belvedere tweaks the family sitcom model ‎ever so slightly. Sportswriter Dad (Uecker) and law student Mom (newcomer Ilene Graff) ‎parent two teens (Rob Stone and Tracy Wells) and an adorable little moppet (Brice Beckham), ‎but little do they know that uptight butler Lynn Belvedere (Blessed) is actually an acclaimed ‎author, immersing himself in the role so – in his words – “as to write the great American novel, as ‎only an Englishman can.” The back-and-forth comedic timing between Blessed and Uecker ‎provides the laughs; the genuine, almost fatherly chemistry between Blessed and Beckham ‎provides more than a few heartwarming moments. ABC has renewed Mr. Belvedere for ‎‎1986.‎

While Lime Street is ostensibly about the machinations of tough-as-nails insurance ‎investigator J. Greyson Culver (played by veteran Robert Wagner, last seen on Hart to Hart) ‎solving various crimes (as a result of his insurance fraud investigations), it’s more accurate to say ‎that the show is a star vehicle for the acting debut of teenaged peace activist Samantha Smith, ‎who plays Culver’s 13-year-old daughter, Liz. [5] Smith, who memorably served as “America’s ‎Youngest Ambassador” to the Soviet Union in 1983 after writing a letter to then-Soviet premier ‎Yuri Andropov, is a natural actress and serves as the moral compass to the otherwise-too-‎pragmatic Culver. One quibble: although the title refers to the headquarters of the world’s ‎oldest insurance market, Lloyd’s of London, the show is quite obviously filmed in studio in ‎Hollywood, California. [6] ABC has renewed Lime Street for 1986. [7]‎

We discuss MacGyver and Hollywood Undercover in depth on page 67. [8]‎

On the bubble: Moonlighting, Growing Pains, and Webster.‎

Moonlighting is the quirky comedy/drama starring Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd that we ‎discuss on page 58. [9] With critical acclaim but mediocre ratings, it sits squarely on the renewal ‎bubble.‎

Growing Pains is a formulaic family sitcom starring Alan Thicke (Thicke of the Night) ‎as the 40-but-looks-50 dad, Joanna Kerns (Marjorie Donovan from V) as the 40-but-looks-‎‎30 mom, Kirk Cameron as the popular, wisecracking slacker older son, Tracey Gold ‎‎(Goodnight, Beantown) as the nerdy sister who’s frequently the butt of Cameron’s jokes, ‎and Jeremy Miller as the obligatory adorable tot. Sound familiar? Growing Pains finished ‎last in its timeslot, opposite CBS’s Cover Up and NBC’s Knight Rider. [10]‎

Finally, the Diff’rent Strokes ripoff Webster limped through its third season and might ‎not be back in 1986. [11]‎

Likely Cancellation: Lady Blue, Our Family Honor, The Insiders, T.J. ‎Hooker, Hotel, and Spenser: For Hire. [12]‎

CBS

Safe: The Lost Episode, Dreams

Despite a strong 1984, no network shook up its lineup more than CBS, which cancelled half its ‎prime-time lineup and debuted a whopping nine new shows in 1985. CBS also took the ‎biggest risk of any network, declaring Wednesday to be “Movie Night In America!” and airing ‎three small-screen adaptations of recent hit movies: The Big Chill, Stir Crazy, and – ‎perhaps most inexplicably – Ghostbusters.‎

However, for all of CBS’s bold moves, only one produced a hit: The Lost ‎Episode, a wildly inventive sketch comedy show that re-enacts supposedly “lost” episodes ‎from classic shows throughout TV’s history. Already, the troupe has revisited The ‎Honeymooners, Get Smart, and I Love Lucy; we can’t wait to see what season two ‎will bring. [13]‎

The Lost Episode stars Dave Thomas [14], Stuart Pankin [15], Robin Duke [16], Mike ‎Hagerty [17], Bekka Eaton [18], and Saturday Night Live alums Brad Hall and Julia Louis-‎Dreyfus [19]. It’s written by Thomas, Buck Henry, and George Meyer, with contributions from ‎Al Franken and Steve Martin. [20]‎

Meanwhile, CBS continues to hope that Dreams will catch on; it’s the story of the would-be ‎metal band “Steel Cobra,” led by John Stamos, looking to hit it big on L.A.’s Sunset Strip, led by ‎John Stamos – will catch on. After a promising first season, the producers reworked the show, ‎bringing in real-life heavy metal rocker Michael Bolton to play Stamos’s nemesis, bad-boy band ‎‎“Rampage” – and, not incidentally, to play guitar and provide vocals for “Steel Cobra’s” songs. ‎The result is a TV show with considerably more verisimilitude, but despite the improvements, ‎‎Dreams finished just outside the Top 30 for the second straight season. Nevertheless, CBS ‎has already renewed Dreams for 1986. [21] And, in a strange case of art imitating life, ‎Michael Bolton’s latest album – released as “Rampage,” of course, and featuring two “Steel ‎Cobra” songs – has been climbing the charts. [22]‎

On the bubble: No Complaints, Still The Big Chill, and The Equalizer.‎

New sitcom No Complaints features two former college roommates, Valerie (Diana ‎Canova, Soap) and Joanne (newcomer Anne Twomey) who reunite 15 years after ‎graduation. Valerie is a housewife with two kids; Joanne is an ad executive rapidly climbing the ‎corporate ladder. Both suffer from the-grass-is-always-greener syndrome; Valerie is envious of ‎Joanne’s high-roller, expense-account lifestyle, while Joanne, coming off of a string of painful ‎breakups, is jealous of Valerie’s doting, faithful husband and adoring children. No ‎Complaints is the only sitcom in CBS’s Tuesday block not to win its timeslot, and it is on the ‎bubble for 1986. [23] ‎

Still The Big Chill is the only show from CBS’s ill-fated “Movie Night In America” ‎with a chance to survive the 1985-86 season. A direct-to-TV adaptation of the hit 1983 The ‎Big Chill, its TV successor stars Jane Kaczmarek (The Paper Chase and Hill Street ‎Blues) as Mary Newell, and Franc Luz (The Doctors) as Ben Abbott. Mary and Franc’s ‎Beaufort, South Carolina wedding provides the pretext for reuniting college friends (in the ‎movie, the main characters are brought together by a funeral, instead). Rounding out the circle of ‎friends are troubled rock star Christopher Springer (Andrew Rubin), college professor Peter ‎Kincaid (John Bedford-Lloyd), divorcee Barbara Donnelly (Margaret Whitton), and fry cook ‎Joey Nathan (Daniel Stern), a single father whose parentage is thrown into question by his ex-‎girlfriend, which forms the major story arc for the first season. [24] CBS has not yet decided ‎whether to renew Still The Big Chill for the 1986 season.‎

The Equalizer is discussed in detail on page 77. [25]‎

Likely Cancellation: Ghostbusters, Stir Crazy, The Recovery Room, ‎‎Charlie & Co., and The George Burns Half Hour Comedy Hour.‎

Where to begin? CBS’s “Movie Night In America” was a high-profile flop, and the network has ‎already cancelled its TV adaptation of the 1980 Richard Pryor /Gene Wilder hit film Stir ‎Crazy [26], as well as The George Burns Half Hour Comedy Hour [27] and the ‎unsuccessful Cosby-ripoff Charlie & Co. [28]‎

Next up? We suspect it will be Ghostbusters – a very funny movie that just never ‎worked on the small screen. You know the plot: parapsychologists Peter Venkman (ably played ‎by stand-up comedian Bob Saget), Ray Stantz (Xander Berkeley, doing a passable Dan Aykroyd ‎impersonation) and Egon Spengler (Steve Buscemi) crack wise while saving New York from an ‎army of spooks. The special effects get more laughs than the scripts. [29]‎

After striking out with last season’s quirky hospital sitcom E/R, it’s strange to see CBS ‎essentially doubling down with The Recovery Room – a quirky sitcom set in a bar ‎whole locals work in, you guessed it, the nearby hospital. (Oh, and the bar is called “The ‎Recovery Room”; get it?) The bar is owned by med school dropout Steve (Mark Linn-Baker) ‎and former nurse Kelly (Kelly Bishop), and is frequented by a cast of stereotypes: the young ‎genius, the overbearing heartthrob, the clumsy bookworm, and the philandering hospital ‎administrator. The Recovery Room has had terrible ratings opposite ABC’s smash hit ‎‎Who’s The Boss?; between that and it’s poor lead-in (the already-cancelled George Burns ‎Half Hour Comedy Hour), there’s a slight chance that it survives the chopping block. But we ‎doubt it. [30]‎

NBC

The transformation begun three years ago by NBC’s boy-wonder executive Brandon Tartikoff is ‎now complete. Once relegated to the bottom of the ratings, NBC now has the top-rated show on ‎television, three of the top five shows, the highest-rated new show, and the most high-profile ‎night on television: Thursday’s “Must See TV!” [31]‎

We’ve already devoted much ink to NBC’s Thursday night, which has been credited with ‎revitalizing the sitcom as a genre. We’ve also written extensively about The Golden Girls – ‎NBC’s effort to reach out to the blue-haired demographic that gave CBS a surprise hit in last ‎year’s Murder, She Wrote. [32] Oh, and of course there’s also Miami Vice – perhaps ‎the most talked-about, most imitated show on TV.‎

Of course, not everything Mr. Tartikoff touches turns to gold, and the peacock network had ‎its share of flops in 1985.‎

Safe: The Golden Girls, 227 [33]‎

On the bubble: Family Ties, Misfits of Science.‎

Despite extensive retooling in 1985, including a touching story arc surrounding Elyse Keaton’s ‎miscarriage which led to the addition of adopted daughter Ariel Keaton (played by adorable ‎seven-year-old child actress Judith Barsi), ratings for Family Ties remain low, and the ‎series faces a possible cancellation. [34]‎

We discuss the bizarre superhero show Misfits of Science on page 85. [35]‎

Likely Cancellation: All That Glitters

A spinoff of NBC’s hit Knight Rider, All That Glitters features ready-for-action ‎secret agent David Dalton (Charles Taylor) paired with fish-out-of-water Janene St. John ‎‎(newcomer Fran McDormand). Together, the two criss-cross the nation, solving mysteries and ‎fighting crime on behalf of a shadowy government organization led by the elusive “Z” (George ‎Murdock). Ratings are very low. [36]‎

‎----------‎
NOTES:‎

‎[1] See post #323, note 2, for details on all of the shows from the 1984-85 TV schedule that were cancelled in 1985.

‎[2] This is shamelessly stolen from the "Cancellation Bear"‎ feature at tvbythenumbers.com.‎

‎[3] IOTL, Mr. Belvedere never cracked the Top 30, although it frequently won its time slot ‎and aired for six seasons. With a stronger lead-in, a better night (IOTL, it aired on Fridays at ‎‎8:30, after Webster), and somewhat weaker competition, #19 seems about right.‎

‎[4] He’s certainly available, and I always envisioned that Christopher Hewett was cast as Lynn Belvedere OTL from ‎notes that said “looking for a Brian Blessed type.”‎

‎[5] Even had Unknown not put in this request back in post #358,‎ I had always intended to save Samantha Smith. Whether Bar Harbor flight 1808 doesn’t crash, ‎or whether Samantha is on a different flight, it strikes me as the perfect example of an event ‎that’s highly contingent and almost must be butterflied away.‎

‎[6] Currently under construction ITTL and IOTL, the Lloyd’s building at 1 Lime Street is one of ‎the most distinctive pieces of architecture in west London.‎

‎[7] Boy, the reviews are all over the map for OTL’s Lime Street; there’s a particularly ‎scathing one at IMDB that seems strangely passionate for a show that was cancelled two ‎decades ago after a handful of episodes, for example. But pretty much everyone agrees that ‎Samantha Smith really could act, and Robert Wagner is obviously Robert Wagner, so I’m ‎having difficulty imagining it being a total dog. IOTL, Lime Street aired at 9 pm on ‎Saturday opposite NBC’s The Golden Girls (#7) and 227 (#20) and got bulldozed; ‎here, it airs an hour later opposite the 1985 reboot of The Twilight Zone and the WWF ‎Main Event, so it’s pretty easy to see it winning its timeslot.‎

‎[8] As for MacGyver: it’s pretty much as OTL, so it doesn’t get a writeup. Hollywood ‎Undercover is profiled in post #323,‎ and I’m tickled that I've dropped two separate hints as to a non-event in 1985 that continues to ‎elude people. :)

‎[9] Moonlighting is also mostly as OTL; it just has the misfortune of airing on Thursdays at ‎‎9 pm opposite Cheers and Night Court instead of on Tuesdays at 9 as IOTL – largely ‎because ABC has already locked up Tuesdays from 8 to 10 with (mostly) successful sitcoms, ‎including TTL’s Shaping Up! and Mr. Belvedere. Moonlighting will be back for 1986; ‎TV Guide just doesn’t know it yet.‎

‎[10] Growing Pains is, with minor butterflies, as OTL; the difference is that OTL’s version ‎‎(a) had the wildly successful Who’s the Boss? as a lead-in; and (b) aired opposite a rotating ‎black hole from CBS (and the The A-Team on NBC, which fared worse IOTL). Here, with a ‎weak lead and strong competition from CBS, Growing Pains falls outside the Top 30. ‎Status for 1986 is uncertain.‎

‎[11] Webster got four seasons IOTL despite declining ratings due to a syndication deal with ‎Paramount; ABC cranked out the minimum 100 episodes and washed its hands of the whole ‎deal. Probably the same thing will wind up happening ITTL.‎

‎[12] The first three are flops from OTL; The Insiders is (briefly) profiled as a Miami ‎Vice ripoff in (of course) post #323.‎ ‎T.J. Hooker had sort of a strange path IOTL; it was cancelled by ABC in 1985, but picked ‎up by CBS for a final season, where they tried to retool the series with longer, “edgier” episodes. ‎‎(That didn’t work.) Here, it just limps through the final season on ABC before quietly going ‎away.‎

The real changes from OTL are Hotel and Spenser: For Hire. IOTL, Hotel was ‎the #22-rated show of 1985, although it lost 20% of its lead-in audience from Dynasty. ‎Here, it runs opposite the CBS adaptation of Stir Crazy (instead of The ‎Equalizer), which competes for some of Hotel's Baby Boomer/prime-time soap audience. The net result is that ‎‎both shows suffer -- and NBC’s St. Elsewhere does significantly better, finishing the ‎season at #24. OTL’s Hotel would run for another two seasons, although it would never ‎again finish among the Top 30 shows.‎ Despite all this, Hotel might be back in 1986; the network still isn't sure.

Spenser: For Hire ran for three seasons IOTL on Fridays at 10; it does rather less well on ‎Saturdays at 8 – particularly opposite the bulldozer that is NBC’s The Golden Girls. The ‎careers of Robert Urich and Avery Brooks survive intact, though.‎

‎[13] There’s no OTL analogue to this show; it’s kind of inspired by SNL-ripoff ‎‎(and flop) The New Show, although obviously actual thought has gone into this one.‎

‎[14] Yes, this is the brainchild of TTL’s Doug McKenzie, who was on hiatus from both SCTV ‎and SNL at this time; sadly, it will butterfly away Thomas’s role as Sam Sleaze in Follow That ‎Bird but otherwise, his schedule is pretty wide open. A veteran of the Second City comedy ‎troupe in Chicago, Thomas will recruit a lot of his fellow alumni.‎

‎[15] The second-biggest star here, Pankin was leaving his gig as news anchor Bob Charles on the ‎HBO series Not Necessarily the News right as The Lost Episode was being cast. He’s ‎a comedic straight man.‎

‎[16] Whom you might remember as the diner waitress from Groundhog Day. Like Thomas, ‎she was also in the (strange, but hilarious) 1985 Martin Short comedy special “Martin Short: ‎Concert for the North Americas,” which is butterflied away ITTL. Like Thomas, she's also a Second City ‎alum.‎

‎[17] Another Second City alum, to me he’s most memorable as one of “Da Bears” on SNL; he’s ‎also apparently a regular guest star in the Star Trek universe,‎ apparently playing aliens who really, really sound like they’re from Chicago.‎

‎[18] Yet another Second City alum; she had a few bit parts in the 1980s and then disappeared ‎from the TV landscape. She’s a plus-sized actress.‎

‎[19] Louis-Dreyfuss is 24 here, and fresh off of a disappointing three-year run on Saturday Night Live. ‎Hall and Louis-Dreyfuss are dating at this time IOTL and ITTL; they would marry IOTL in 1987.‎

‎[20] The New Show was never made ITTL, so you can think of this as occupying roughly ‎the same space, albeit with no involvement from Lorne Michaels. Meyer never returns to ‎‎SNL ITTL. And, as great as this writing team looks, remember that it’s a subset of the ‎awesome team assembled for OTL’s The New Show, which turned out to be one of the ‎lowest-rated TV shows of all time, so it’s no guarantee of any sort of long-term success.‎

‎[21] I talked about this a little bit in post #210,‎ but didn’t want to give too much of the fun away.‎ :D

‎[22] Yes, this is an analogue to OTL’s Everybody’s Crazy album,‎ the last hard rock/heavy metal album released before Michael Bolton switched over to the soft ‎rock ballads for which he’s known today. ITTL, Rampage (featuring Michael Bolton) ‎spawned three Top 40 singles, all of which were featured in episodes of Dreams: ‎‎“Everybody’s Crazy,” “(Goin’ On A) Rampage,” and “You Gotta Want It.”‎

‎[23] IOTL, “No Complaints” was a failed pilot sold to NBC, rather than CBS, by the same ‎outfit that put together “The Recovery Room” for CBS. Here, CBS buys and goes forward with ‎both shows. “No Complaints” really is on the bubble in the Dirty Laundryverse, but some ‎of you won’t be surprised that I gave Diana Canova another chance ITTL. :)

‎[24] IOTL, the small-screen adaption of The Big Chill was called Hometown (because ‎there was no “Movie Night In America”); it was not successful on Tuesdays at 8 pm. Here, ‎airing opposite the NBC flop Hell Town and the fading remnants of The Fall Guy, it ‎manages narrowly to win its time slot.‎

‎[25] The Equalizer is also discussed in (some) detail in post #323.‎ It’s firmly on the bubble, being beaten by both Hollywood Undercover in the first half-hour ‎and 227 in the second.‎

‎[26] Truth is always stranger than fiction, so of course this was a real show.‎ Look at that promo shot: you can just tell it’s not going to be funny. At all.‎

‎[27] IOTL, this aired (very) briefly as “George Burns Comedy Week,”‎ where it still wasn’t funny.‎

‎[28] As OTL.‎ And I think Flip Wilson is quite talented, but, "here, go be in this Cosby ripoff" almost certainly wasn't going to work.

‎[29] Berkeley and Saget were taking bit parts in various TV shows at this time. Buscemi had a ‎bit part in Season 1, Episode 5 of Not Necessarily the News,‎ and strikes me as the kind of guy whom you would instantly cast as “oh, hey, kind of like Harold ‎Ramis, only weirder.”‎

‎[30] The Recovery Room was a pilot sold to CBS IOTL; here, it makes it as a full-fledged ‎show, only to disappoint.‎

‎[31] The earlier use of “Must See TV!” was foreshadowed in post #205.‎

‎[32] The Golden Girls is as OTL, except that it airs an hour earlier.‎

‎[33] 227 is also as OTL, although it does slightly worse here (outside the top 30) without ‎‎The Golden Girls as a lead-in.‎

‎[34] As per OTL, Meredith Baxter-Birney’s real life pregnancy (with twins, no less) played out ‎on screen; IOTL, Elyse gave birth to a son, Andrew. ITTL, a smartly written series of “very ‎special episodes” has Elyse miscarry and the Keatons adopt a daughter whom they name Ariel ‎Moonbeam Keaton (much to Alex’s disgust).‎

‎[35] Which is to say that it’s as per OTL.‎

‎[36] IOTL, All That Glitters was a backdoor pilot developed by veteran executive producer ‎Glen A. Larson. It aired as a two-hour episode of Knight Rider (titled “Mouth of the ‎Snake”), with Taylor, Murdock, and Joanna Pettet instead of Frances McDormand. NBC ‎declined to pick up the show on the grounds that it was too similar to the CBS flop Cover ‎Up, which had also been developed by Larson. NBC kept the “Dalton” character and ‎reworked the whole thing into Code of Vengeance. Here, Cover Up is a hit, so All ‎That Glitters goes forward as originally envisioned by Larson. In development, Pettet is ‎replaced by McDormand (still going by “Fran”) as the pilot becomes a series. Ratings are indeed ‎low.‎

The complete 1985-86 TV schedule is attached.

Attachments

• 2013.05.02 DL TV sked 85.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
So with a failed Ghostbusters live action show, does this mean no Real Ghostbusters cartoon? Shame if so, as that was one of my favorite cartoons of the 1980s.

Based on what I know about Webster (#4), I'm kinda upset it's still a thing ITTL...

While still on the subject of TTL's TV: How's the 80s Twilight Zone doing compared to the OTL version?

Try and save Judith Barsi (and her mom, too) (talk about sad, IMO) from her abusive dad (have him get hit by a truck or something).

BTW, did Don Henley win the special election?

Time to answer a few questions as Dirty Laundry heads towards the 50,000 page view milestone; we're at 49,298 and counting as I write this. I can't tell you how grateful I am to all of you for reading, for asking great questions, offering sometimes pointed criticism where appropriate and encouragement (even where not appropriate), and in many cases for actually helping to write and shape the timeline. So to all of you: thank you very much for continuing to support Dirty Laundry; you make it fun to keep writing! :D

Now, on to the mailbag:

And with the exception of Cyndi Lauper, the #1 songs for this stretch turn out to be exactly the same as OTL! Funny how that works out. :D

Let me know if any of this needs to be changed, Andrew, and I'll be sure to do it!

These are great, and one thing that I want to call attention to is the fact that (after doing the research) there was considerable overlap between OTL and TTL, which I think is a good thing. One of the guiding principles I've used in writing Dirty Laundry is to try and see what happens and not force change just because change is there to be forced. So this is exactly in the spirit of Dirty Laundry, and is now canon. :)

So with a failed Ghostbusters live action show, does this mean no Real Ghostbusters cartoon? Shame if so, as that was one of my favorite cartoons of the 1980s.

The whole story about Ghostbusters, the weird Ghostbusters cartoon, and then the Real Ghostbusters cartoons is so bizarre, I'm sure I'll cover what happens at some point. The Ghostbusters TV flop does have in-timeline consequences, though, including something I already hinted at a few dozen posts ago :)

Based on what I know about Webster (#4), I'm kinda upset it's still a thing ITTL...

You and me both! What's funny is seeing that IOTL, the ratings were pretty crappy but ABC kept cranking out episodes to get to that magic number 100, at which point they dropped it like a live grenade. It's hard to imagine something coming up that would disturb economic incentives that powerful, but we'll see.

While still on the subject of TTL's TV: How's the 80s Twilight Zone doing compared to the OTL version?

Well, it has two things going for it ITTL: (1) it airs Saturdays at 10 opposite Lime Street instead of Fridays at 8 opposite Night Rider (which attracts some of the same would-be viewers), and (2) it's not (inexplicably) the lead-in to Dallas (which attracts none of its would-be viewers).

So the magic 8-ball sez: results hazy, ask again later. :)

I love Moonlighting and Die Hard.

You're not going do something to derail Walter Willis are you? :eek:

God, I hope not! I love that guy! :D

Try and save Judith Barsi (and her mom, too) (talk about sad, IMO) from her abusive dad (have him get hit by a truck or something).

The interesting thing is that when I went looking for appropriate-age child actors to adopt on to Family Ties in 1985, Judith Barsi was pretty much the only choice. The runner-up was then six-year-old Sara Rue, who got her first acting job IOTL in 1988.

BTW, did Don Henley win the special election?

We're skipping around a bit, as is usual here. There are a bunch more election posts in the can, so if you like Texas politics, you'll love the next few weeks. :)

If you want to take bets, consider the following:

1) Isn't Henley a shoo-in to win? You've got a district that's two-to-one registered Democrats that hasn't elected a Republican since Reconstruction. Hall last won a contested race by forty points! Oh, and Henley's a celebrity; he's going to draw crowds wherever he goes, isn't he?

2) Isn't Henley a shoo-in to lose? You've got an old-school liberal and a political neophyte, with a session musician and songwriter for a campaign manager, trying to get elected to Congress in rapidly-reddening Texas in Ronald Reagan's 50-state-landslide America. Oh, and his opponent is slick, well-funded, and has a campaign staff that isn't pulling any punches!

:D

‎1.‎ The Cosby Show (NBC), Thursdays at 8 pm
‎2.‎ It’s Your Move (NBC), Thursdays at 8:30 pm
‎3.‎ Murder, She Wrote (CBS), Sundays at 8 pm
‎4.‎ Miami Vice (NBC), Fridays at 9 pm
‎5.‎ ‎60 Minutes (CBS), Sundays at 7 pm‎
‎6.‎ ‎The Golden Girls (NBC), Saturday at 8 pm‎
‎7.‎ Who’s the Boss? (ABC), Tuesdays at 8:30 pm
‎8.‎ Kate & Allie (CBS), Mondays at 9 pm
‎9.‎ Dynasty (ABC), Wednesdays at 9 pm
‎10.‎ Cheers (NBC), Thursdays at 9 pm
‎11.‎ The A-Team (NBC), Tuesdays at 8 pm
‎12.‎ Shaping Up! (ABC), Tuesdays at 9 pm
‎13.‎ Cover Up (CBS), Fridays at 8 pm
‎14.‎ Night Court (NBC), Thursdays at 9:30 pm
‎15.‎ Dallas (CBS), Fridays at 9 pm
‎16.‎ Newhart (CBS), Mondays at 9:30 pm
‎17.‎ Monday Night Football (ABC), Mondays at 9 pm
‎18.‎ Knots Landing (CBS), Thursdays at 10 pm‎
‎19.‎ ‎Mr. Belvedere (ABC), Tuesdays at 9:30 pm‎
‎20.‎ Crazy Like A Fox (CBS), Sundays at 9 pm
‎21.‎ ‎MacGyver (ABC), Mondays at 8 pm‎
‎22.‎ Falcon Crest (CBS), Fridays at 10 pm
‎23.‎ St. Elsewhere (NBC), Wednesdays at 10 pm‎
‎24.‎ Remington Steele (NBC), Tuesdays at 10 pm
‎25.‎ Punky Brewster (NBC), Saturdays at 8:30 pm
‎26.‎ ‎The Lost Episode (CBS), Wednesdays at 8 pm
‎27.‎ Scarecrow & Mrs. King (CBS), Tuesdays at 10 pm
‎28.‎ ‎Lime Street (ABC), Saturdays at 10 pm‎
‎29.‎ Hardcastle and McCormick (ABC), Sundays at 8 pm
‎30.‎ ‎Hollywood Undercover (ABC), Saturdays at 9 pm

Lots of great stuff here. But Golden Girls and Lime Street be damned, I know what I'm watching on Saturday Night: grown men in tights beating the crap out of each other!! :D

Growing Pains is a formulaic family sitcom starring Alan Thicke (Thicke of the Night) ‎as the 40-but-looks-50 dad, Joanna Kerns (Marjorie Donovan from V) as the 40-but-looks-‎‎30 mom, Kirk Cameron as the popular, wisecracking slacker older son, Tracey Gold ‎‎(Goodnight, Beantown) as the nerdy sister who’s frequently the butt of Cameron’s jokes, ‎and Jeremy Miller as the obligatory adorable tot. Sound familiar? Growing Pains finished ‎last in its timeslot, opposite CBS’s Cover Up and NBC’s Knight Rider. [10]‎

So Growing Pains might not make it, huh? Damn. Oh well, at least this could save all the actors from Kirk Cameron's "holier-than-thou" attitude that pissed all his co-stars off and pretty much derailed Julie McCullough's career (IOTL, Cameron tried to re-work parts of the scripts he thought were too "un-Christian", and got McCullough fired from the show just because she previously appeared in Playboy).

And, in a strange case of art imitating life, ‎Michael Bolton’s latest album – released as “Rampage,” of course, and featuring two “Steel ‎Cobra” songs – has been climbing the charts.‎

MORE crap for me to plug into my Top 40 calculations? Great; just great. :p

A little aside: I'm kind of stuck on June 16, 1984. I can't decide whether to have Night Ranger's "Sister Christian" or Deneise Williams' "Let's Hear It for the Boy" knock Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" off the #1 spot.

‎[7] Boy, the reviews are all over the map for OTL’s Lime Street; there’s a particularly ‎scathing one at IMDB that seems strangely passionate for a show that was cancelled two ‎decades ago after a handful of episodes, for example. But pretty much everyone agrees that ‎Samantha Smith really could act, and Robert Wagner is obviously Robert Wagner, so I’m ‎having difficulty imagining it being a total dog. IOTL, Lime Street aired at 9 pm on ‎Saturday opposite NBC’s The Golden Girls (#7) and 227 (#20) and got bulldozed; ‎here, it airs an hour later opposite the 1985 reboot of The Twilight Zone and the WWF ‎Main Event, so it’s pretty easy to see it winning its timeslot.‎

Personally, I'd be watching WWF, while switching over to The Twilight Zone during the commercials. But I can see your logic there. ;)

‎[14] Yes, this is the brainchild of TTL’s Doug McKenzie, who was on hiatus from both SCTV ‎and SNL at this time; sadly, it will butterfly away Thomas’s role as Sam Sleaze in Follow That ‎Bird but otherwise, his schedule is pretty wide open. A veteran of the Second City comedy ‎troupe in Chicago, Thomas will recruit a lot of his fellow alumni.‎

Danny Thomas without Rick Moranis? To you, I say: take off, ya' hoser! :p

Also, I wonder if Saget's role of Venkman will butterfly away some of his other more lucrative gigs, like Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.

You and me both! What's funny is seeing that IOTL, the ratings were pretty crappy but ABC kept cranking out episodes to get to that magic number 100, at which point they dropped it like a live grenade. It's hard to imagine something coming up that would disturb economic incentives that powerful, but we'll see.
If by that line you mean "do something to end the show sooner", why not just have Susan Clark and Alex Karras snap and force NBC to end the show (or quit, either way)...

Heavy

Banned
With all the talk about music, I think it's time for another update to the #1 songs of the Dirty Laundry Universe. It's a whole new year, and I'll be doing January-April 1984 today.

One song that might be number one ITTL is "Oh, Sherrie" by Steve Perry, which got to #3 but was a major hit on MTV in 1984. There was a post many, many pages ago where Andrew mentioned Perry being a little more popular here (and thus feeling "too big" for Journey).

I'm not sure when the song was released, though.

Great to finally see the 1985-86 season coverage! IMO, one of the great seasons of network television IOTL.

There’s an old adage about two hikers who come across a bear in the woods. The one hiker ‎calmly begins lacing up his running shoes as his companion stares at him, incredulous. “You ‎can’t outrun a bear!” “No,” replies the first hiker, “but I can outrun you.” [2] Network ‎television shows are a lot like that first hiker: they don’t have to win their timeslot to survive; ‎they just have to outperform other shows on the same network.‎
Ah yes, TV By The Numbers. A great website, which also very helpfully provides a ratings point-to-households conversion chart: in the 1985-86 season, one ratings point (a 1.0) was equal to 859,000 households. IOTL, The Cosby Show enjoyed a rating of 33.7 during this season, which equates to 28.95 million households. (All you have to do then is take demographic information to convert the number of households into the number of people, and further divide them by age, gender, wealth, location...)

Andrew T said:
Sophomore sitcom Who’s the Boss (#7) and mainstay ‎‎Shaping Up (#12) anchored ABC’s Tuesday lineup, paving the way for their top new hit, ‎‎Mr. Belvedere, which finished the season as the 19th-highest rated program on network ‎television.
So Shaping Up is definitely here to stay! That should prove very interesting for Nielsen's future career, starting around about 1988...

Andrew T said:
Featuring the unlikely pairing of English stage actor Brian Blessed [4] and ballplayer-turned-beer-‎pitchman-turned-actor Bob Uecker, Mr. Belvedere tweaks the family sitcom model ‎ever so slightly.
BRIAN BLESSED?! Good thing that television sets have volume control - though would they be able to hear anyone else if they turned it that far down? :p

Andrew T said:
Moonlighting is the quirky comedy/drama starring Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd that we ‎discuss on page 58. [9] With critical acclaim but mediocre ratings, it sits squarely on the renewal ‎bubble.‎
This does not bode well for Moonlighting - that it was an instant hit (#24 in its first season IOTL, and it only went up from there) provided cover for the many production woes the show experienced throughout its run, and from the very beginning. Frankly, I'm quite stunned that it's being renewed for a second season ITTL - this is a huge leap of faith akin to the Cheers renewal a few years earlier (though is it one that will pay dividends?). And then there's just how you'll handle the chemistry between the two leads...

Andrew T said:
Tracey Gold ‎‎(Goodnight, Beantown) as the nerdy sister who’s frequently the butt of Cameron’s jokes
TV Guide likely would have mentioned that Tracey's little sister Missy was the obligatory adorable tot on Benson (though she obviously grew out of it).

Andrew T said:
We’ve already devoted much ink to NBC’s Thursday night, which has been credited with ‎revitalizing the sitcom as a genre. We’ve also written extensively about The Golden Girls – ‎NBC’s effort to reach out to the blue-haired demographic that gave CBS a surprise hit in last ‎year’s Murder, She Wrote. [32] Oh, and of course there’s also Miami Vice – perhaps ‎the most talked-about, most imitated show on TV.‎
Ah yes, The Golden Girls. For my money, one of the greatest sitcoms ever aired. I remember watching it first-run with my family when I was very young, and you can still find it in reruns today. It definitely holds up (despite the plethora of late-1980s and early-1990s cultural references), which I attribute to the crackerjack writing, superb casting, and exquisite chemistry between the leads. The irony, of course, is that the audience for The Golden Girls always skewed young, and still does to this day. (Funnily enough, The Golden Girls spoofed their fellow Miami-set NBC stablemate in a first season episode, featuring a beat cop who was aping Don Johnson and clearly living way above his means). You claim that The Golden Girls is as OTL, and that's your prerogative, of course - but a great WI moment is that Rue McClanahan was originally cast as Rose, and Betty White as Blanche (evoking their prior famous roles, Vivian from Maude and Sue Ann from Mary Tyler Moore, respectively) before the director, Jay Sandrich, encouraged them to swap parts. (McClanahan, who had always wanted to play Blanche, was ecstatic; White was horrified.) Apparently, Bea Arthur was not interested in playing Dorothy with the original casting (calling it "Maude and Vivian meet Sue Ann Nivens") and only relented when McClanahan informed her that the roles had been reversed.

Some great material here! I look forward to reading more about the established shows as well, and the direction they're taking. A few requests...

I hope it would be possible to save the life of Nicholas Colasanto ("Coach") on Cheers. True, he was already dead by now IOTL, but you haven't mentioned him either way, so there's no canon there ;) The reason for my request is twofold: it prevents Coach's replacement by Woody (I much preferred the former), and it probably keeps Shelley Long aboard (Colasanto was her only friend among the cast - the rest of them hated her. She'd be much likelier to stick around with an ally.)

I'd love to hear more about It's Your Move, and how they're keeping the show fresh and interesting in what should be its golden period (the second season).

And finally, All Just A Dream. IOTL, this was the season of Dallas which ended with Bobby in the shower. And then there was St. Elsewhere, which has resulted in the theory that all of television but the last ten minutes of that show take place in Tommy Westphall's head :mad: Now, granted, if we lose those, we also lose "The Last Newhart" (the only good "All Just A Dream" ending in the history of the medium), but that's a price I'm willing to pay. (The decoy ending was Dick dying and talking to God - just use that instead.)

I obviously won't insist upon any of these, of course, but I figured I might as well speak now, or forever hold my peace. As always, I look forward to more! :)

(And an early congratulations on reaching your pending milestone!)

I think I know what the non-event is...

Hulk Hogan doesn't put Richard Belzer into a headlock in 1985.

Am I correct, Andrew T?

Also, I wonder if Saget's role of Venkman will butterfly away some of his other more lucrative gigs, like Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.
Sagat wasn't the original choice for Full House. That was John Posey. Butterflies in this timeline could affect that, though, or Full House could never occur at all. Or it could be radically different. Ideas are all very random and whim based and how things creatively come out are based on random bits building up into a final product.

Here is the John Posey Full House intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWZ9Hb6aKs

A message to Andrew T:

If Full House does occur, it may be worth taking into consideration having it continue past it's actual history cancellation. I remember from the E! story on it that Stamos said that with the ratings they were getting, if it were on today they would never have cancelled it. So it may be worth taking into consideration the network keeping it on the air for an eternity. That get's into the 90s, though.

On a similar note, I'm curious what happens to Jesse Frederick in this timeline. He's the guy who did all of those 80s/early 90s ABC sitcom themes, along with his writing partner. Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Matters, etc.

There is also the possibility that Stamos wouldn't be available to be cast in Full House ITTL if Dreams lasts long enough.