What if Germany won WW1 in 1914 by winning by the Schlieffen Plan succeeding or winning the Race to the Sea? My question is how the Eastern Front will develop on military area. Will Hindenburg and Ludendorff stay as commanders and with that will the “Hindenburg Myth” still occure, or would there be a clash between them and commander in chief Von Moltke and his adjudant Falkenhayn?

How the entire front will develop is very speculative I think; perhaps there will be an early peace in 1915 or maybe the Germans decide to launch a large campaign into Russia to conquer the Brest Litovsk area (which is likely if Hindenburg and Ludendorff stay in charge I think).

What are your thoughts on this?

Riain

Banned
What if Germany won WW1 in 1914 by winning by the Schlieffen Plan succeeding or winning the Race to the Sea? My question is how the Eastern Front will develop on military area. Will Hindenburg and Ludendorff stay as commanders and with that will the “Hindenburg Myth” still occure, or would there be a clash between them and commander in chief Von Moltke and his adjudant Falkenhayn?

How the entire front will develop is very speculative I think; perhaps there will be an early peace in 1915 or maybe the Germans decide to launch a large campaign into Russia to conquer the Brest Litovsk area (which is likely if Hindenburg and Ludendorff stay in charge I think).

What are your thoughts on this?

That's two questions with two possibly wildly different answers, although I think they'd come to variations of the same answer.

The idea of the schlieffen plan was to knock France down with 7 armies so thoroughly in 6 weeks that 3 of those armies could then transfer to East Prussia and launch an offensive against the Russians. Assuming this is possible, which it likely isn't, OTL events up until after tannenberg would stay the same. After that while H&L would go to the East the 4 divisions that fought at Masurian lakes and formed half the 9th army would not. Multiple field armies would start transferring from the West from mid September, so someone more superior and important would likely command the 4 field armies that rapidly gather, unlike OTL where armies slowly gather under H&L Ober Ost. OTL 1915 results would likely happen 4 or so months earlier. Howver I reiterate this is unlikely to happen, trying is likely to result in winning the race to the sea.

The other question, winning the race to the sea, which is far more likely doesn't change the Eastern front much in the short term. How I imagine it happens had H&L go east etc etc etc. The big impact is on Britian, which will be under direct military pressure unlike OTL. It will be hard to quantify an impact on the Eastern front, but there will be an indirect one for sure.

The decisive battles in the west and in the east occurred more or less at the same time. Hearing of the crisis in the east, the Germans sent troops east but the Battle of Tannenberg had been won by the time they arrived. If the German invasion of France goes more or less as planned and the French are crushed, the East will likely go roughly as OTL, frankly, since reassigning troops and commanders would not take effect at the eastern front until Tannenberg is finished already and Hindenburg's reputation is made.

One thing to keep in mind is if Germans smash the British, Belgians and French then Germany has multiple "hero" generals. In OTL the Germans pre-war plans went off the rails and only Hindenburg was available as senior general out of the mess as a shinning light.

So while Hindenburg would still be important I do not see him getting the same larger than life reputation as historic. Moltke 2.0 would be getting a great deal of acclaim.

Michael

One thing to keep in mind is if Germans smash the British, Belgians and French then Germany has multiple "hero" generals. In OTL the Germans pre-war plans went off the rails and only Hindenburg was available as senior general out of the mess as a shinning light.

So while Hindenburg would still be important I do not see him getting the same larger than life reputation as historic. Moltke 2.0 would be getting a great deal of acclaim.

Michael
Would this result in a clash between Moltke and Hindenburg/Ludendorff over the supreme command?

Would this result in a clash between Moltke and Hindenburg/Ludendorff over the supreme command?
No clash to occur as if the Germans win in the West then Falkenhayn has no opening to push Moltke out as OHL. Again there will be plenty of other generals looking good. Moltke will be secure in his role as head of OHL. If the plan is followed Moltke will without a doubt come east along with the reinforcements and take direct command of the fighting against Russia. Perhaps instead of Ober Ost to manage things in the east with Moltke there we end up with an Ober West to manage whatever remaining fighting there is in rump France while Moltke handles the fighting in Russia.

Michael