Different definition of "Europe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leo Caesius said:
I'd like to see them head south to India and see what they do there, actually. A Turkish India, ruled by a Buddhist Turkish elite, might make for an interesting TL.
coughKushanEmpirecough

Ok, Ok, they weren't actually turks. But they were central asian nomads. :)

Leo Caesius

Banned
I was thinking more along the lines of Buddhist Mughals, but I suppose they could follow in the footsteps of Kanishka and co.

Leo Caesius said:
I'd like to see them head south to India and see what they do there, actually. A Turkish India, ruled by a Buddhist Turkish elite, might make for an interesting TL.
Would it be enough to postulate that the Mongol Muslim Tamerlane's descendants are Buddhist instead of Muslim, forming the Mughal Empire as they did in our timeline?

Or, is an earlier POD better?

HelloLegend

Banned
The Chinese word for "Asia" doesn't even include the Indian Subcontinent...
It certainly doesn't come close to touching Turkey.

The point is, whether u call the Holy Lands Europe or Asia, it's only a title.
Doesn't really affect history much.

Leo Caesius

Banned
The Kushan tribes were Turkic, weren't they? :confused:
There's not a lot of information on their native language, but it is believed to be Indo-European, and related to Tocharian.

I have heard Turkish scholars claim that they were Turkic, but they tend to make that argument about everyone (Hittites, Sumerians, etc.).

Thande

Donor
Ironic that Scarecrow began a thread looking for different consensus geographic definitions, and we've learned that we don't have a consensus on the ones we already have in OTL :D

There's not a lot of information on their native language, but it is believed to be Indo-European, and related to Tocharian.

I have heard Turkish scholars claim that they were Turkic, but they tend to make that argument about everyone (Hittites, Sumerians, etc.).

thought I heard good case for Sumerians to be Altaic...?

Leo Caesius

Banned
thought I heard good case for Sumerians to be Altaic...?
Well, it's agglutinative (like a lot of languages, not merely the Altaic ones) and there are some chance lexical similarities (Turks point to Sum. DINGIR = Turk. Tenri 'God,' ignoring the fact that they got their word from Chinese tienri). It's not a strong case. Sumerian also has a split ergative system like Urartian, Hurrian, some of the Caucasian languages, and some Iranian languages, but some of the old-school Turkologists claim that these are Turkic as well, or at least influenced by Turkic languages.

Straha

Banned
Somehow avoid the rise of islam and I'd imagine the entire medditeranean basin would be considered part of "europe"

Valamyr

Banned
In French, "Proche-Orient" would refer to the countries bordering the eastern coast of the Mediterranean (Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Jordan by extension) but excluding Turkey (which would be "Asie Mineure". "Moyen-Orient" would include the Arabic peninsula, Iraq and Iran.

Finally! I was really beginning to wonder where all these people were getting their definitions.

This is what its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.