Dieselpunk?

Krall's Sky Father maps brought the word 'Dieselpunk' to my attention. My question is: What the heck is it?

I have heard of Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Biopunk and even Clockpunk, but never have I encountered Dieselpunk. Can someone explain what that kind of world would be like?

Krall

Banned
It's steampunk but with petrol engines instead of steamengines. Things in a dieselpunk world are generally less crazy and more plausible than those in steampunk worlds.

It's essentially the early 1900s.

Or Ring of Red.

Whats clockpunk? Clockwork I guess? I thought that was Baroquepunk.

The punk scale goes AFAIR:

Renaisance: Da Vinci Punk
Pre industrial: Baroquepunk
Industrial age, (19th century, very early 20th): Steam punk
WW1ish- Atomic age: Diesil punk
Mid 20th century: Atom punk
80s: Soviet punk (i.e. recognisable modern sci fi but with the soviets)

Towards the end things are too recent to look quaint
Cyberpunk is a 80s invention but it doesn't fit into the standard punk scale.

I thought that was 'Nukepunk'? Nukepunk certainly sounds cooler.
I like 'atom' better.

Deiselpunk is a 1930s-ish world, with zeppelins and loads of Art Decco. The beat example I can think of is Crimson Skies.

Last edited:
Judging from what I've read online, "dieselpunk" as an identifiable style is still something in the process of formation. Apparrently the term was first used in 2002 as a description for the RPG Children of the Sun, which combined a fantasy setting with elements of early 20th century technology. According to various articles/forum arguments on this website, the term has been reinterpreted to include some elements of neo-pulp (with Indiana Jones being a quintessential example) and noire, as well as industrial-themed dystopias and apocalypses (1984, Mad Max, what have you...). It has also been suggested that atomicpunk may just be a subset of dieselpunk interpreted for a later age.

Clockpunk is the usually accepted name for Leej's "DaVincipunk".

And it is kinda funny that cyberpunk doesn't fit on the scale anymore. :rolleyes:

What's pre-renaissance? Feudalpunk? (I don't know whether that's even possible, but it would be cool, which is the whole point of -punk.)

I'd say Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a form of dieselpunk... '30s-'40s technology supposedly, but more advanced than modern day in some ways (i.e. the flying aircraft carrier springs to mind...)

Clockpunk is the usually accepted name for Leej's "DaVincipunk".

And it is kinda funny that cyberpunk doesn't fit on the scale anymore. :rolleyes:

What's pre-renaissance? Feudalpunk? (I don't know whether that's even possible, but it would be cool, which is the whole point of -punk.)

Hm... well, Feudalpunk could be interpreted as a low magic fantasy setting, if that's your thing.

The mini-series Tin Man.
Hellboy, the opening scene has a dieslpunk overtone.
Dark City has some dieselpunk overtones.
The Borrowers movie is heavy dieselpunk.
Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

I'd say Feudalpunk would be worlds like the World At War series by Harry Turtledove or Wyrms by Orson Scott Card or The Sword Of Truth series or He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe or Storm Hawks or the Jak series where magic and/or fantastical creatures along with pre-renaissance(sometimes higher) tech are to a degree part of everyday life.

p.s. I have another Punk setting to put forward: Alienpunk which is basically a Punk setting in which aliens and other non-humans are either an important part of a world or are the main sentients in said world the Oddworld series and the Barsoom series the aforementioned Wyrms are examples of this setting(the Redwall series would also be a member of said genre but that series doesn't have much in the way of technology or magic and is a tad on the happy side even if it does have great villains).

I'd say Feudalpunk would be worlds like the World At War series by Harry Turtledove or Wyrms by Orson Scott Card or The Sword Of Truth series or He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe or Storm Hawks or the Jak series where magic and/or fantastical creatures along with pre-renaissance(sometimes higher) tech are to a degree part of everyday life.

p.s. I have another Punk setting to put forward: Alienpunk which is basically a Punk setting in which aliens and other non-humans are either an important part of a world or are the main sentients in said world the Oddworld series and the Barsoom series the aforementioned Wyrms are examples of this setting(the Redwall series would also be a member of said genre but that series doesn't have much in the way of technology or magic and is a tad on the happy side even if it does have great villains).

Check out the Sliding Albion arc of the first Authority comic series.

Some people still like Steampunk.

Anyways on topic: Diesel punk is I think best classified as Pulp with modern sensibilities, just like Steampunk is often based off older works, but is fundamentally very modern. It also often has noir elements because the two categories get mixed up peoples minds due to their similar chronological place.