Die Atombomben der Bundesrepublik: An Oral History of Germany's Nuclear Weapons Program

Maybe if you replace the original motor with a more powerful and modern motor...?
The final versions of Tabant from 1989 to 1991 had 1.0L engine of VW Polo. Whent Trabant 601 had top speed of 100, then VW engined Trabant 1.1. had top speed of 125 km/h and had about 22 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h.

And the worst car in GDR was not a Trabant, that "honour" goes to a Range Rover of The British Commanders'-in-Chief Mission to the Soviet Forces in Germany (BRIXMIS) , that particular SUV had its carburetor in wrong settings. There is a story about the Range Rover going at It's full speed on the Berlin ring road, when it was supassed by heavily loaded Trabant with full luggage rack and loaded light trailer.

A poor army sergeant fell prey to an alluring HVA fraulein, and within a few weeks
What happened to that poor sergeant?

Tactical bombers were not powerful enough to deliver 1st generation nuclear weapons, by the mid 50's that had been fixed and nukes could be carried by such. It took longer to carry thermonuclear weapons, but again by the 60's that had been fixed. ICBMs were created to be able to hit something on another continent in a way that could not be shot down like a bomber could be
Though, there is also ballistic missile carrying submarines, could East German Army use that?

Last edited:
What happened to that poor sergeant?

Though, there is also ballistic missile carrying submarines, could East German Army use that?

I think the Soviets would be EXTREMELY interested in any SSB the East Germans were to construct. Rather pointed questions would be asked, and it’d negate the whole purpose of stealing a supply of US warheads.

And good luck hiding an SSB in the Baltic.

Would be an odd SSB anyway, given the need to fit in water not much deeper than 17m.

And good luck hiding an SSB in the Baltic.

Would be an odd SSB anyway, given the need to fit in water not much deeper than 17m.

It’s more practical for a nuclear west or unified Germany, but not by much. Probably better just to invest in some fighter bombers, and later, perhaps some mobile IRBMs. France and the USSR/Russia should easily be in range.

Going down the suspected Israel path with cruise missiles would be best option. A Tomahawk sounds about right. Question is would it raise too many questions. Best option maybe gravity bomb.

Michael

If they want to keep the existence of the nukes hidden, they absolutely cannot have single-use delivery systems like small IRBMs or lob-toss computers for dropping gravity bombs. The best option would probably be something that hides the nuclear warheads among a stockpile of large anti-ship cruise missiles. The 8-inch nuclear artillery shells weigh 200 lbs, compared to the conventional warhead on the Kormoran missile that weighs 360 lbs and is about 13.5 inches in diameter.

If I remember correctly scud missiles are build to carry nuclear weapons and East Germany had scud missiles.
Well.. USSR is infamous for selling their downgraded version of their weapons.. I think they would remove nuclear capablity from the Scud missile.

Brylyth

Banned
What a delightful little surprise, this is a amazing idea. I wonder how horrendously shocked the Unification team was when the news of the Ossie bombs was dropped.

You're officially allowed to needle me if there isn't an update of some sort by this time next week. Until then, enjoy the kiddie sized tanks.
I dunno, are you the type to listen to music while writing?

...anyways, this thread needs more Patenbrigade:Wolff

Last edited:

You're officially allowed to needle me if there isn't an update of some sort by this time next week. Until then, enjoy the kiddie sized tanks.
I SO welcome this thread back!
And this sounds foolish: I've heard the music many times before, but what is the NAME?
My early 1980's timeline may need to make use of it...how influential would someone need to be to get his daughter into the unit? And did they have them in the USSR?

Last edited: