Did Germany suffer a bigger national trauma after World War 1 or 2?

Did Germany suffer a bigger psychological trauma and emotional scars after World War 1 or 2?

• World War 1

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • World War 2

Votes: 220 84.0%

• Total voters
The second or the third?
The Deutsches. The entire 1914-45 period. Including the Weimar Republic, because the idea that the Weimar Republic was "not the Reich" is a then-Nazi propaganda lie.

Second, Germany seemed to be advancing leaps and bounds no?
Well, Germany had its own late-19th-century Gilded Age fueled by industrialization. Just like the American Gilded Age, it wasn't a golden age but a gilded one.

Then came the complete failure of political and military leadership that was WW1, millions of deaths at the front and famine at home. Admittedly that wasn't just a failure of German political and military leadership, but "everyone else sucked even worse" isn't exactly a nostalgia-inducing statement. What's pretty unique about WW1 Germany though is our leadership's behaviour when the war was lost. Let's be blunt there, maybe the KPD came up with the term "accelerationism", but Ludendorff came up with the actual idea in 1918 when he sent Erzberger to sign the armistice.

Following the old elites' treason we got the Weimar Republic. Five years of economical misery and political violence, followed by five years of peace, followed by five more years of economical misery and political violence. Not really nostalgia-inducing either. By 1933 they just gave Hitler the keys to the country because they felt that the alternative was civil war, which it probably was. Can't even blame them... I mean, the last time Hitler had attempted to destroy the Weimar Republic he accidentally ended up saving it from the Kahr-Lossow clique, so maybe it was worth a try.

Well, and then it went downhill from there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

As a German I really don't feel particularly destroyed. I'm not a market liberal, but I'll gladly take the 70 years of peace and prosperity under the Federal Republic over the preceding 30 years of war, chaos, famine and mass murder under the Reich.
80 years later why would you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Applying linguistic nationalism to the natural mixing at borderlands is a big invitation to violence, and Wilson was really keen on it.
I think most border areas are complicated cases... Though Eupen-Malmedy was an exception.

Border areas are complicated, but that's no excuse for transferring foreign territories from one country to another under the pretext of "national self-determination".

Also, the situation often gets easier when you break up larger regions into smaller owns. After lower Silesia voted to remain in Germany one of the few plebiscites actually held, the Entente powers had no problem with separating those territories that voted for Poland from those that wanted to remain with Germany. This, of course, was a blatant violation of the Treaty of Versailles, but at least it was consistent with the objective of creating ethnically homogenous states.

Well... I wonder why this wasn't possible in "complicated" areas like Elsass-Lothringen. Maybe it was less about Wilson's idealism and more about France wanting to regain Elsass-Lothringen no matter what, even against the wishes of the Alsatians and Lorrains?

As for Danzig and West Prussia, there was no way that a Poland of any kind could sit next to post WW1 Germany and have national self-determination without secure access to the sea. Keep in mind that even in the US in this period, Polonophobia was strong. Imagine how much worse it was in a country where Poland's existence served as a reminder of defeat.

I understand why Poland wanted a port on the Baltic Sea and the neutralization of Danzig, but it was still hilariously naive to assume that the German majority in Danzig and West Prussia would just sit there and accept their separation from Germany and discrimination by the Polish administration (after they themselves had discriminated against the Poles for centuries). Of course they would agitate for the return to Germany! Honestly, in such a situation, your only choice is between ethnically consistent borders (e. g. not awarding West Prussia to Poland) or ethnical cleansing (which was done after WWII, and spared post-war Poland a lot of trouble, at the expense of millions of indigenous Germans).

I'd recommend reading some actual histories that deal with the negotiation process of the treaties that ended WW1.

Actually, I've recently been reading some of those for my job, but I'm glad that you did too because we always need more posters with substantiated information on this board.

. One of the problems faced by the negotiators is how to build a European order where any nation had the right to rule itself and achieve peace and prosperity.
German sovereignty, peace and prosperity had to be compromised with French, Lithuanian, Danish, Czech, Belgian and Polish sovereignty, peace and prosperity. And French SP&P had to compromise with German and British SP&P. And Polish SP&P had to be compromised with German, Czech, Slovak, Lithuanian, Ukrainian and Russian SP&P.
Sure, the Germans weren't allowed to take any official role beyond signing the finished product, but the aim of the Entente after WW1 was to settle things with a prosperous Germany in a prosperous Europe.

Well, it's important to understand that the members of the Entente had various goals. The US was led by Wilson with his idealistic program for a post-war order, but had to deal with a strong internal opposition to the any political involvement in Europe. Britain wanted to have Germany pay for the war, without weakening it to much to preserve it as a counterweight to France. France... wanted to weaken Germany as much as possible, after it had been invaded by Germany for the second time in less than 50 years, and had suffered most of the destructions of the war.

Already from this rough outline, I'm not that sure that you can just summarize the aims of all Entente members. They had different objectives which were often at odds with each other.

Compare Versailles with any of the treaties the German allies got. Or with Brest-Litovsk or the 1918 treaty of Bucharest that Germany imposed on Russia and Romania respectively. Or with the treaties that ended any of the major 19th Century wars in Europe.

The peace treaties Germany imposed on eastern Europe were indeed cruel, and probably one of the reasons for the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles. But Versailles was just as much a break with traditional, more conciliatory diplomacy of the 19th century.

I would venture that what really discredited the Weimar republic was the efforts of the army to shift the blame for losing the war by any means necessary.

Yes, but the democratic politicians then had to also sign the Treaty of Versailles and to devise ways to pay for the exorbitant reparations, so all those issues are actually pretty closely related to each other.

Between that, the Great Depression and the former Entente members trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities under the treaty by any means, the peace was lost. Not because it was an "unfair" treaty. But because the interwar years saw actors on all sides undermining the peace in an effort to bolster their own narrow self-interest.

Almost everybody undermined the treaty because everybody quickly understood that it was virtually unenforceable. Great Britain quickly lost interest in forcing Germany to abide to all provisions of the peace agreement, while France didn't have the strength to permanently hold Germany down with British or Russian aid. Meanwhile, the two strongest continental powers, Germany as well as Soviet Russia, had very good reasons to revise the interwar international order, and especially the Germans broke the Treaty from day one.

In that respect, the Treaty of Versailles was fundamentally flawed.

The second or the third? Third I could understand, they were quite literal monsters. Second, Germany seemed to be advancing leaps and bounds no?

Honestly, I don't like the Second German Empire (or Realm, Reich, whatever you want to call it), mostly because it did impose Prussian autocratic principles upon a Germany which had a long liberal tradition, and this authoritarian tradition certainly had its role in the downfall of the Weimar Republic and the rise of the "Third Reich". It took the complete destruction of Germany in the Second World War and an industrial genocide of unprecedented scale to ensure the final triumph of the democratic ideas of 1848, embodied by the 1949 Fundamental Law.

I also object to the Kleindeutsche Lösung forced upon Germany by Bismarck. The War of 1866 was a civil war between Germans, provoked and conducted by Bismarck, which led to the permanent exclusion of a substantial portion of the German population and territory from the German state. I'm really not going to thank Bismarck for that.

Well, Churchill is up there with folks like Guderian in terms of "mythologizing" (being a lying liar who lies) the war. And indeed, some of his lies had good reasons behind them. Both the US and the UK benefited from the myth that they were the best and most trusting of allies both during and after the war. And in fairness, it was an amazingly close alliance. Just people were human.

So when and where did Churchill claim this surprise? And who were his audience when he made the claim?

Right. You see why I used it as an example then. Applying linguistic nationalism to the natural mixing at borderlands is a big invitation to violence, and Wilson was really keen on it.

I think most border areas are complicated cases... Though Eupen-Malmedy was an exception.

As for Danzig and West Prussia, there was no way that a Poland of any kind could sit next to post WW1 Germany and have national self-determination without secure access to the sea. Keep in mind that even in the US in this period, Polonophobia was strong. Imagine how much worse it was in a country where Poland's existence served as a reminder of defeat.

I'd recommend reading some actual histories that deal with the negotiation process of the treaties that ended WW1. One of the problems faced by the negotiators is how to build a European order where any nation had the right to rule itself and achieve peace and prosperity. German sovereignty, peace and prosperity had to be compromised with French, Lithuanian, Danish, Czech, Belgian and Polish sovereignty, peace and prosperity. And French SP&P had to compromise with German and British SP&P. And Polish SP&P had to be compromised with German, Czech, Slovak, Lithuanian, Ukrainian and Russian SP&P.

And this was a time when the whole set of rules had changed and the new set of rules were in the process of being written.

Sure, the Germans weren't allowed to take any official role beyond signing the finished product, but the aim of the Entente after WW1 was to settle things with a prosperous Germany in a prosperous Europe. Compare Versailles with any of the treaties the German allies got. Or with Brest-Litovsk or the 1918 treaty of Bucharest that Germany imposed on Russia and Romania respectively. Or with the treaties that ended any of the major 19th Century wars in Europe.

Contrary to popular myth, the Entente did make a good-faith effort to deliver a new Europe based on the ideas in the 14 points. Just, when you really think about those ideas, and think that German fantasies would have to co-exist with the fantasies of other people it is clear why no-one would or could get what they imagined.

I would venture that what really discredited the Weimar republic was the efforts of the army to shift the blame for losing the war by any means necessary.

Between that, the Great Depression and the former Entente members trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities under the treaty by any means, the peace was lost. Not because it was an "unfair" treaty. But because the interwar years saw actors on all sides undermining the peace in an effort to bolster their own narrow self-interest.

Similarly, one can say that the peace that ended WW2 didn't succeed because it was far harsher. Rather, it succeeded because of the hard work on all sides to build on the foundation provided by the return to peace. I have no doubt that if the US and UK had behaved after WW2 as they had after WW1 the chances for peace continuing would be much lower.

Bringing this back to national trauma, what really stands out to me is that conditions being conducive to healing after the trauma has occurred is really important.

fasquardon
Oh, Churchill undoubtedly lied about many things. After all, he was a politician. He even accepted he did..."history will be kind to me...for I shall write it!" In fact, he had a couple of writers to help him...so he also lied about that.
However, I would be interested to know the source for your statement that unconditional surrender was firmly agreed before its announcement. I haven't read that anywhere else.

WHumboldt

Banned
World War Two, Germany went from beinf a nation with pride to a nation thay has become a pale imitation of what it once was with market liberalism its bread and butter. Hitler and the Nazis destroyed a once great nation.
I don't think Hitler and the Nazi's were the ones reshaping the bombed out remains of Germany into an American empire financial administrative zone or a soviet tributary state.

However, I would be interested to know the source for your statement that unconditional surrender was firmly agreed before its announcement. I haven't read that anywhere else.

So am I. When I have time I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find a history on the diplomacy around that particular plank of Allied policy.

The peace treaties Germany imposed on eastern Europe were indeed cruel, and probably one of the reasons for the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles. But Versailles was just as much a break with traditional, more conciliatory diplomacy of the 19th century.

OK. Can you give me a few examples of conciliatory diplomacy after wars in the 19th Century?

Already from this rough outline, I'm not that sure that you can just summarize the aims of all Entente members. They had different objectives which were often at odds with each other.

But all of those goals ultimately boil down to securing the SP&P of those countries - even the ways they treated each-other and the defeated powers. After the horrors of WW1, it was agreed between the Entente members that vengeful peace would be down right criminal. And a criminal peace was not seen as offering much in terms of security or prosperity. Also, the massive economic weight the US brought to the alliance meant that what the US congress considered criminal had great weight. Similarly, the new fashion for embracing self-determination had a pragmatic attraction, since if the people who lived in places had more of a say in what empire got to own them, maybe the world would be saved from another Gavrilo Princip. It also provided some sort of guidelines for how to address the situation in the former Austria Hungary and former Russian Empire, where events were far, far outside the Entente members' control. Oh, and the ideology of self-determination let the French have their cake and eat it, getting Alsace-Lorraine (which was actually not much of an issue in French politics before the war, but as the death toll had mounted had become the reason for France to keep fighting) while also denouncing arbitrary annexations.

We see Wilson as an idealist, but he saw his ideas as a practical blueprint for saving European civilization (and thus continuing European civilization's domination of the planet). Similarly, other idealists also saw their actions as being practical ones and people whose acts we might today see as selfish opportunism saw themselves as idealists.

And I don't think anyone at the time wanted too much that was unreasonable. Why shouldn't the Germans want security and prosperity? Why shouldn't the French want the same? Is it wrong for the British to worry that creating an over-mighty Poland between two angry great powers might cause a great war in the future? Or for Poles to want to protect themselves against Ukrainian atrocities? Or for Ukrainians to want to protect themselves against Polish atrocities?

In theory it is all fine. Of course, in practice everyone acted like they were the chosen ones who deserved special treatment. That their SP&P was a little or a lot more important of that of others. Especially when those others weren't fellow European Christians. Every single participant in the post WW1 peace process fell short in some way. Should we judge them only by their faults though? Or is it worth also judging them by what they aspired to as well?

Almost everybody undermined the treaty because everybody quickly understood that it was virtually unenforceable.

It was perfectly enforceable. But enforcing it would cost money and require long-term cooperation. According to the treaty as signed all Entente members were supposed to station troops in the Rhineland DMZ until reparations were fully paid. Just as Germany had occupied a big chunk of France after 1871 until France paid all the blood money demanded after that war. But the British and Americans didn't like that since it violated old traditions, so they bailed on those clauses within a few years. France, Italy and Belgium could have enforced it on their own even so, but at heavy cost to their own economies and to their foreign relations with the US and UK.

The lack of enforcement was a choice.

That said, had Hindenburg not handed the Nazis power by presidential fiat, we might well be lauding the wisdom of that lack of enforcement. The British rapidly came to see the treaty as excessive and that Germany and the Soviet Union would re-emerge sooner or later as powerful actors on the world stage and that everyone would be better off if this process were facilitated by the victors in WW1, rather than spending treasure trying to stop the tide coming in.

I understand why Poland wanted a port on the Baltic Sea and the neutralization of Danzig

Not wanted. Needed. At least, if the goal was a sovereign Poland.

And yes, that need impinged on the sovereignty of Germany, just as the sovereignty of Germany impinged on Poland. This is why people started to dream about European unions after WW1, as sharing sovereignty has advantages over endless wars and ethnic cleansings.

Of course they would agitate for the return to Germany! Honestly, in such a situation, your only choice is between ethnically consistent borders (e. g. not awarding West Prussia to Poland) or ethnical cleansing (which was done after WWII, and spared post-war Poland a lot of trouble, at the expense of millions of indigenous Germans).

I am not sure that the ethnic cleansing of the parts East of the Oder-Neisse line saved Poland trouble really... Maybe it did. But the area is still blighted today because of the human trauma inflicted on those expelled from the "new territories" and those expelled into those lands from the parts of Poland annexed by the Soviets.

German speaking people had lived in Poland as Polish subjects for centuries before the partitions. Indeed, German-speaking Poles were often particularly patriotic, since the Polish crown was seen as the best guarantor of the rights of the German cities. So in the bigger picture, Germans could clearly live in Poland. But it is perhaps unrealistic to expect that Germans could live in Poland after the horrors the Nazis had inflicted on the country.

fasquardon

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
So am I. When I have time I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find a history on the diplomacy around that particular plank of Allied policy.

OK. Can you give me a few examples of conciliatory diplomacy after wars in the 19th Century?

The Treaty of Prague that ended the Austro-Prussian War of 1866 is the most conciliatory - towards Austria, not her German allies - as Bismarck did not want a vengeful Austria on his flank for the showdown with France. The cost to Austria was Venetia ceded to Italy, and the permanent exclusion of Vienna from German affairs. An Austrian would still be resentful, while a Saxon or Hannoverian would be supremely pissed off.

This isn't really true, in 1871 Germany wanted a treaty so financially harsh it would keep France down and not a potential threat for a generation while the new Germany consolidated itself. This makes perfect sense as they didn't want France to come roaring back a few years later to avenge it's loss, but that sounds a bit familiar because it was pretty much France's motivation in 1919!

the 1815 treaty of Paris saw reparations of 700m francs, the 1871 saw reparations of 5bn francs*

It also involved the Prussian army staying in France until it was paid, and they happily took territory. Land was always lost in the C19th treaties. the difference is in 1919 it was more fashionable to call it "ethnic self determination" not "we're taking this because you lost". (although TBF I think even in the C19th there was some allusions to ethnic self determination)

On top of that WW1 had been proportionally more devastating to the winners having been fought on French soil in the west than pretty much anything conflict in the C19th except maybe the Napoleonic wars for some. It was also frankly less devastating to the loser as well since German infrastructure and industry was largely still intact. So that is a big factor in how much recompense was taken because losses had to compensated for, and that means land and resources. Basically to be glib if you want to keep your territory don't lose a war, but really don't lose a war that cripples entire economies, scars entire nations and kills millions in a 4 year meat grinder the likes of which even proportionally hadn't been seen since the wars of religion. i.e fighting wars is a gamble and if you lose you will have to give stuff up (i'm not going to get into the whole "who started it" debate suffice to say there was little doubt about it in the minds of the winners in 1919)

The largest territory changes were in the east. Poland basically had to be created whole cloth out of territory that had been held by others in 1914 and frankly largely out of territory that had only ever been held by the previous winners aka 'the partitions of Poland' anyway so very little was naturally anybodies (see the shifting borders in the area during the previous 200 years)! What this means is that any reduction of 1914 German territory is going to involve ethnic Germans either living under a different flag or moving. Just like ethnic french in A-L (or ethnic Germans in A-L at different times).

It's nice to say we learnt to do better post WW2 after the "mistakes of the ToV" but the realty is we didn't. The same thing happened in eastern Germany, and in the west the costs of war was ameliorated by the US partly funding rebuilding but more importantly Britain and France while economically hit not also owing vast sums as per post WW1 to be paid back over extended periods of time, Not to mention fear of the USSR, and the fact that Germany had largely been reduced to piles of rubble (a reverse of WW1) although again the soviets certainly took economic reparations! Most wars after WW2 still end up with the loser having to give something up.

So actually the ToV doesn't really buck the trend here, it's actually the end of WW2 that does and even then only in western Europe, and even then Germany is in pieces at that point because unlike WW1, WW2 hadn't ended with Germany retreating back to it starting borders and a truce then armistice being declared.

Also as an aside we often talk about the movement of ethnic Germans post war, but there were refugees all over, both external and internal in absolute terms one of the largest and under reported refugee movement in European history was in 1940 almost 2m Belgians et al, and 8-10m french from northern France (and it's not like there weren't other mass refugee movements during the war).

*sorry that looks like i'm saying the 2nd was way out of proportion to the first! I'm not I'm just pointing out reparations was a thing. what with inflation in the intervening years and difference in scales of the the two conflicts I'm not sure how unequal they are! (if pushed I'd say 1871 looks steep, but that could be because 1815 was actually light!)

Last edited:

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'

- The Treaty of Paris. Although France lost the Rhineland and territories annexed in Italy, Germany and Spain, it conserved its historical borders of 1792, no military restrictions were imposed on her, AFAIK no reparations either. The objective was to restore the European balance of powers, not to indefinitely punish France for the Revolution and Napoléon. France was quickly reintregrated into the European Order as it had its delegates on the Congress of Vienna and concluded an alliance with Britain and Austria against Prussian and Russian interests in Saxony. It was only after France "relapsed" in 1815 (I actually sympathize with those Frenchmen who welcomed back Napoléon in 1815, but that's not the point) that France lost parts of its core territory, that a military occupation and substantial reparations were forced upon her.

- The Peace of Prague. Austria lost its position in the German Federation and was thus excluded from German politics, but reparations were moderate, and neither Austria nor Saxony lost any territory (Bismarck successfully stopped his monarch from annexing Austrian territories).

- The Peace of Frankfurt. Although the reparations were indeed a heavy burden imposed on France, and even though the German popular opinion had forced Bismarck into annexing Elsass-Lothringen, the treaty conserved France as a great power on the European continent. It kept its colonies and quickly found the means to repay the Germans in short time, which did quite a bit to scare off Bismarck who went on to plan a war in 1875 in the "Krieg in Sicht"-crises – only to shrink back because both Britain and Russia made it clear that the European balance of power could only suffer from new German gains in the west.

Of course, I don't have to mention that Germany didn't impose any restrictions on French army size in 1871 (which Napoléon did with regard to Prussia in 1807).

As far as I know, all treaties between European countries respected the principle of the Pentarchy and of the balance of power. That's something the Treaty of Versailles did not. It replaced these old rules by new principles of diplomacy, some naive, some very good, but even then both the treaty and those enforcing it didn't stay true to those Ideals.

After the horrors of WW1, it was agreed between the Entente members that vengeful peace would be down right criminal. And a criminal peace was not seen as offering much in terms of security or prosperity.

Yes, but a fair peace, which is durable and beneficial to everyone, can only be a process of a sensible negotiation process. For that, inviting the other party to the negotiation table is more less indispensable. It also helps if you don't destroy the other party's negotiation position by forcing it to an armistice that is a capitulation all but in name. The armistice of 1918 was intended to break Germany's ability to pursue the war.

It's, of cause, understandable why the Entente would want that, but it completely undermined the German negotiating position. Temporarily keeping some of the occupied territories, or at least Elsass-Lothringen, and being able to continue the war (at least for some time) would have allowed Germany to negotiate harder (and to be accepted at the negotiating table in the first place). That would have been closer to an armistice, i. e. to a general ceasefire, than November 1918 was.

Instead, the democratic government of the young German Republic was forced to agree to a treaty that was rightly called a "Diktat" from the first day of its publication. It had no other choice. The army and navy had already lost most of their equipment, the border territories had been abandoned, the armed forces were in the process of demobilization. Turkey had least had the chance to fight for a better settlement.

In theory it is all fine. Of course, in practice everyone acted like they were the chosen ones who deserved special treatment. That their SP&P was a little or a lot more important of that of others. Especially when those others weren't fellow European Christians. Every single participant in the post WW1 peace process fell short in some way. Should we judge them only by their faults though? Or is it worth also judging them by what they aspired to as well?

I think that, fundamentally, we're of the same opinion. Every power had its own objectives and its own need for security and for a territory supporting its economy. The (early) war goals reflect exactly that. Germany wanted to assert European dominance, while Austria-Hungary fought for its survival. Russia had ambitions in Poland, on the Balkans and in the Caucasus, and France wished to regain Elsass-Lothringen pretty much from day one. Britain wanted to preserve the European balance of powers, which had been her aim for centuries.

When the US entered the war, under the principles proposed by President Wilson, it had to deal with those war aims. American, British and Italian goals were easy to bring into harmony, but France, which had, as you write, to bear most of the destructions and feared a fourth German invasion (after all, 1815, 1871 and 1914 had been devastating enough).

In the end, peace was shaped by all those interests, which (partially) interfered with Wilsonian idealism and the high hopes everybody had of the coming peace. British preoccupation with continental balance proved to be a hindrance to ambitions French plans of territorial expansion, while American influence did actually little to restrain France.

Germany ended up separated from substantial territories with a German ethnic majority, and the young German democracy was burdened with reparations that it could not pay in practice. People like Keynes recognized that already as the treaty was signed. And this brings us to the question of enforcement...

It was perfectly enforceable. But enforcing it would cost money and require long-term cooperation. According to the treaty as signed all Entente members were supposed to station troops in the Rhineland DMZ until reparations were fully paid. Just as Germany had occupied a big chunk of France after 1871 until France paid all the blood money demanded after that war. But the British and Americans didn't like that since it violated old traditions, so they bailed on those clauses within a few years. France, Italy and Belgium could have enforced it on their own even so, but at heavy cost to their own economies and to their foreign relations with the US and UK.

Yes, if the UK, the US, France and Belgium had cooperated to enforce the reparations and the payment plan in their first version, they would likely have succeeded by use of sheer military force.

However, Britain and America were of the opinion that at least the individual installments, if not the entirety of the reparations, had to be cut if the German economy was ever to recover from the war. A ruined Germany would have been catastrophic for the European balance of powers and an invitation to communist agitation in Central Europe. I don't know if that, if enforcing the Versailles Treaty really would have been such a good idea.

Not wanted. Needed. At least, if the goal was a sovereign Poland.

Other perfectly sovereign nations like Czechoslovakia did not need such an artificial port.

German speaking people had lived in Poland as Polish subjects for centuries before the partitions. Indeed, German-speaking Poles were often particularly patriotic, since the Polish crown was seen as the best guarantor of the rights of the German cities. So in the bigger picture, Germans could clearly live in Poland.

Germans had lived in Eastern European countries for centuries, that's right, but the German population in question lived in territories adjacent to Germany proper and formed the majority in the regions they lived in. Moreover, nationalism had come by since the first waves of German immigration to Eastern Europe, and the Germans dwelling the annexed territories did not actually want to live under the Polish government – and the German government had no intention to let them go.

Flash forward 30 years, and you'll see that even socialist parties like the SPD still had no will to let East Germany go – and that was after the horrors of WWII and the complete defeat in 1945:

teilung2.jpg

So, to wrap it up, I don't doubt that the Entente (at least some of its negotiators) had good intentions, whether it was classical British diplomacy or the new Wilsonian idealism, but the very real interests of the victors ended up compromising the objectives of those that wanted a fair and lasting peace. Especially France wasn't interested in an equal coexistence with an equal German partner. They feared Germany way too much to ever allow it to regain its full sovereignty and economic prosperity. The Versailles Treaty, to be durable, needed to be revised, and the French governments were more or less forced to agree to these revisions – mind you, I'm saying that as a (half-) French person.

So yes, I consider the results of the 1919 Entente negations imposed on the former Central Powers as flawed.

*sorry that looks like i'm saying the 2nd was way out of proportion to the first! I'm not I'm just pointing out reparations was a thing. what with inflation in the intervening years and difference in scales of the the two conflicts I'm not sure how unequal they are! (if pushed I'd say 1871 looks steep, but that could be because 1815 was actually light!)

Oh, there's no doubt that the treaties imposed on France in 1815 and 1871 were harsh! In 1815, France had let Napoléon back in and was punished accordingly by the European monarchies, while Bismarck indeed intended the war reparations to prevent France from waging war against Germany for quite some time.

But those reparations were, in contrast to those based on the Treaty of Versailles, not impossible to pay. Indeed, France managed to reimburse Germany pretty quickly, much to the anger of Bismarck and his government, which feared that France might soon take her revenge.

It also involved the Prussian army staying in France until it was paid, and they happily took territory.

They took Elsass-Lothringen, but only because Bismarck was under internal pressure because the public opinion wanted to "take back" these ethnically and culturally German territories (which, as far as we know, politically identified as French).

Again, while the reparations were heavy and the loss of an integral part of the French territory was demoralizing, the Treaty of Frankfurt was nothing compared to the Treaty of Versailles.

Land was always lost in the C19th treaties. the difference is in 1919 it was more fashionable to call it "ethnic self determination" not "we're taking this because you lost". (although TBF I think even in the C19th there was some allusions to ethnic self determination)

The annexation of Elsass-Lothringen being one of the first instances. Parts of the German public opinion agitated for annexation precisely because the territory was considered German in certain ways.

Nobody, however, took the time to ask the Alsatians and Lorrainer about their preferences, so that's another parallel to 1919 and "the right to self-determination".

On top of that WW1 had been proportionally more devastating to the winners having been fought on French soil in the west than pretty much anything in the C19th except maybe the Napoleonic wars for some. There is going to be recompense taken and that means land and resources. Basically to be glib if you want to keep your territory don't lose a war, but really don't lose a war that cripples entire economies, scars entire nations and kills millions in a 4 year meat grinder the likes of which even proportionally hadn't been seen since the wars of religion. i.e fighting wars is a gamble if you lose you will have to give stuff up

Exactly. WWI was, in its length and intensity, unlike all wars of the 19th century, and accordingly was ended by a treaty much different from the more moderate, conciliatory settlements of the preceeding centuries. Which is my entire point.

(i'm not going to get into the whole "who started it" debate suffice to to say it there was little doubt abot it in the minds of the winners in 1919)

I feel that this debate is pretty much settled among (German) historians (it was the German government), but of course it wasn't really for diplomats to decide the question. "It's all your fault" it's not a very good principle to have a fresh start and do constructive, peaceful work.

Last edited:
In 1918 the German people:
  • had lost the war they were not supposed to lose
  • the military, economy and empire they had grown up with was gone
  • it was replaced with revolution
  • they had been hungry for a long time
  • everyone had lost family
  • they were lumped with reparations that they were supposed to inflict on others
  • hyper-inflation wiped out their life savings.
From 1914 they had come down to rock bottom without physical destruction

From 1939 they had not really recovered from 1918 but 1945 added complete physical destruction.

I'd say 1914 down to 1918 was a greater psychological shock than 1939 to 1945. However it's only up from here.
Ww1 to me. Ww2 more death, more destruction and clearly they were responsible for the war and the crimes committed. However psychologically I believe ww1 was a greater trauma because they really believed they would win and losing was unfathomable. Ww2 most Germans did not have expectations of victory or they jubilance they want into the First World War, it was a night and day how they viewed them going in

Exactly. WWI was, in its length and intensity, unlike all wars of the 19th century, and accordingly was ended by a treaty much different from the more moderate, conciliatory settlements of the preceeding centuries. Which is my entire point.

Ah OK do you mean in absolute terms? If so then yes probably. But I think in proportional terms is was well within the same proportional response of the C19th Treatises and the conflicts that led to them. As I said if you going to lose a war try not to lose a war on the scale of WW1!

I also think there is is the this idea that a fair or equitable treaty would have been one Germany accepted or otherwise agreed to given a choice. But really that was never going to happen and pretty much never happens in any conflict so it's not a very realistic metric to measure the ToV by.

Last edited:

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
I also think there is is the this idea that a fair or equitable treaty would have been one Germany accepted or otherwise agreed to given a choice. But really that was never going to happen and pretty much never happens in any conflict so it's not a very realistic metric to measure the ToV by.

Of course it wasn't going to happen!

But even a peace on the basis of the British pre-1918 proposals (France regaining Alsace-Lorraine, Germany losing all colonies but being allowed to unify with German Austria) would have been more acceptable for Germany and this more durable than Versailles.

Even if Versailles had been more favorable to Germany, the right would still be terrified of the leftists and the pacifists gaining a real following in Germany. The fear that the backlash against the violence of WW1 among the German population would make that population unwilling to defend itself when the next total war happened (an inevitability in the minds of the professionals) and thus lead to the extinction of German culture as the committed Political suicide like Poland had 200 years before was a strong one.

For these people, the terms of the treaty were a minor footnote in their motivations. The real problem was with German culture and the German right's determination to destroy that culture by any means necessary so they could save it.

Especially France wasn't interested in an equal coexistence with an equal German partner.

Only... they absolutely were.

The problem with France wanting equal coexistence with Germany? France was much, much weaker than Germany.

Other perfectly sovereign nations like Czechoslovakia did not need such an artificial port.

You mean a state with which Germany had no real problems could expect more freedom using German ports than a state occupied by a people that were regularly portrayed as being "irrational", "irresponsible" and second class? I am shocked. Absolutely shocked!

Moreover, nationalism had come by since the first waves of German immigration to Eastern Europe

My point was that perhaps the problem wasn't with the Germans in Poland, but rather with the nationalist ideology.

However, Britain and America were of the opinion that at least the individual installments, if not the entirety of the reparations, had to be cut if the German economy was ever to recover from the war. A ruined Germany would have been catastrophic for the European balance of powers and an invitation to communist agitation in Central Europe. I don't know if that, if enforcing the Versailles Treaty really would have been such a good idea.

Which is funny since the British were the ones who had insisted on the reparations bill being so high in the first place...

It would be interesting to see what the world would have looked like if Lloyd George died of his bout of the Spanish Flu. Without his Francophobia and his burning determination to make Germany pay an inflated reparations bill, Versailles could have come out better.

France wished to regain Elsass-Lothringen pretty much from day one.

Early war? Not so much. Early war the French wanted to keep the Germans out of Paris. As I said before, Alsace-Lorraine was pretty much a dead political issue in France before the war. It was the war which re-awakened an issue that had been dead for over a decade.

Yes, but a fair peace, which is durable and beneficial to everyone, can only be a process of a sensible negotiation process. For that, inviting the other party to the negotiation table is more less indispensable. It also helps if you don't destroy the other party's negotiation position by forcing it to an armistice that is a capitulation all but in name. The armistice of 1918 was intended to break Germany's ability to pursue the war.

Well, you're still missing the point. What does a fair peace actually look like? Not just a peace that gives Germany everything it wants (which as I was saying to TDM above, the Entente is unable to do, since they do not have mind control rays that can make the German people all willing to die by the millions to realize Ludendorf's ideas of what it would take to win the next war, and in any case giving Ludendorf, Hindenburg and the militarists what they wanted would mean the German pro-democracy factions don't get what THEY want).

Also, if you think that the armistice of 1918 was the Entente acting in bad faith... For a start you really need to read more about what the German generals were thinking at the time. There were seriously people who thought that after a couple of months of truce to recover, the best move for Germany would be to start the war right up again.

These were people who wanted to win. For whom anything less than victory, total victory was absolutely an existential threat to everything they loved and believed in. You really think that they'd be willing to sit down and negotiate a compromise peace? They'd rejected every opportunity to do just that during the war!

- The Treaty of Paris. Although France lost the Rhineland and territories annexed in Italy, Germany and Spain, it conserved its historical borders of 1792, no military restrictions were imposed on her, AFAIK no reparations either. The objective was to restore the European balance of powers, not to indefinitely punish France for the Revolution and Napoléon. France was quickly reintregrated into the European Order as it had its delegates on the Congress of Vienna and concluded an alliance with Britain and Austria against Prussian and Russian interests in Saxony. It was only after France "relapsed" in 1815 (I actually sympathize with those Frenchmen who welcomed back Napoléon in 1815, but that's not the point) that France lost parts of its core territory, that a military occupation and substantial reparations were forced upon her.

Here I agree with you. After the brutality of the Napoleonic wars (which before WW1 was what people had called "The Great War" and was proportionately to the population of Europe perhaps even more deadly than WW1) France did get a good deal.

- The Peace of Prague. Austria lost its position in the German Federation and was thus excluded from German politics, but reparations were moderate, and neither Austria nor Saxony lost any territory (Bismarck successfully stopped his monarch from annexing Austrian territories).

Here I disagree. The peace itself destroyed Austria as independent great power. But this was ameliorated by German policy after the war, which made it clear that Austria-Hungary could do very well if it accepted its place as #2 in the Prussian order in Central Europe.

- The Peace of Frankfurt. Although the reparations were indeed a heavy burden imposed on France, and even though the German popular opinion had forced Bismarck into annexing Elsass-Lothringen, the treaty conserved France as a great power on the European continent. It kept its colonies and quickly found the means to repay the Germans in short time, which did quite a bit to scare off Bismarck who went on to plan a war in 1875 in the "Krieg in Sicht"-crises – only to shrink back because both Britain and Russia made it clear that the European balance of power could only suffer from new German gains in the west.

Right. The treaty that was supposed to cripple France for a generation...

Bad example.

fasquardon

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Only... they absolutely were.
Early war? Not so much. Early war the French wanted to keep the Germans out of Paris. As I said before, Alsace-Lorraine was pretty much a dead political issue in France before the war. It was the war which re-awakened an issue that had been dead for over a decade.

So I really need to ask you about your sources here. I've got to admit that I've most information about the war goals discussion from the German Wikipedia page on that subject, which however is pretty substantial and, most importantly, substantiated. Doesn't seem to be based on hot air. And they say that Alsace-Lorraine emerged as a war aim pretty early in France (really on the first days of the war) and that France devised several plans to weaken Germany considerably, mostly by creating an independent Rhineland and annexing/getting control of the Ruhr area.

To me, this sounds like a return to the old pre-1866 French policy of dividing Germany to keep it weak and unable to attack France.

Which is funny since the British were the ones who had insisted on the reparations bill being so high in the first place...

They did! The British government decided to have Germany fund their war retroactively. But Britain was also one of the first countries ready to compromise one the dust of war had settled and after it became clear that Germany wasn't going to be able to pay those reparations, at least not at the proposed pace.

France... not so much.

Right. The treaty that was supposed to cripple France for a generation...

You already stressed the important word here. It was supposed to, but it didn't work out.

The Treaty of Versailles would have crippled Germany for more than one generation, if it actually had been enforced.

These were people who wanted to win. For whom anything less than victory, total victory was absolutely an existential threat to everything they loved and believed in. You really think that they'd be willing to sit down and negotiate a compromise peace? They'd rejected every opportunity to do just that during the war!

I don't one a fair peace for them, but for the Social-Democrats that took over the government in late 1918! For Democrats like Erzberger who got murdered not because they had signed the peace, but because they had signed any peace (the only one available, of course), and then had honestly tried to fulfill Germany's financial obligations to the victors.

Well, you're still missing the point. What does a fair peace actually look like?

Well, if I had the power to enforce the peace in 1918, which of course no individual had, I would probably mandate plebiscites in all contested territories (no outright annexation), as well as allow the various parts of the dissolving Habsburg Empire to join there various "home nations" (Italy, Poland, Germany). Germany would have to pay reparations, mostly for the damages caused in Belgium, as the invasion of that country was an obvious violation of international law, and for the unrestricted submarine warfare.

The League of Nations would be entrusted with making sure that nations respect the treaty, overseeing plebiscites and publicizing any breach of the peace. The League of Nations would also administrate the former German colonies.

Of course, that's totally utopian and pays no respect to political/economic interests and the actual atmosphere after four years of war, especially in the victorious nations, but you asked me what a fair peace would look like in my opinion.

It's an interesting question and it's hard for a British person to answer since we have never known military defeat nor occupation of our homeland. Even Dunkirk, the worst disaster since Yorktown, has been turned into a victory which it wasn't.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have foreign soldiers in East Ham High Street or to realise they had a right to be there and you didn't any longer. We know brutal excesses (certainly in terms of rape) were committed by Soviet soldiers in the liberation of eastern Germany (and Berlin) and one or two incidents occurred involving French, American and even British soldiers during the conquest of Germany.

1945 isn't called "Stunde Null" in German for no reason. The entire fabric, not just of the Nazi state but of the independent entity that had existed since 1871, was destroyed. For the Volksdeutsche (the Germans who lived outside the country's borders in the east), defeat meant ethnic cleansing as we now understand it - the forced expulsion of millions from lands they had called home for generations, the seizure of land and the erasure of every trace of German culture and history. It was little known and understood in the West for decades after the event but groups like the Sudeten Germans and those in East Prussia were forcibly expelled and thousands were massacred as the Communists took over.

That said, West Germany was able to recover more quickly because it did not have to deal with the imposition of a wholly alien ideology. Weimar was capitalist - the Nazis were capitalists to a degree and didn't discourage the profit motive. Once the capitalist system had been restored, those who were able to adapt could rebuild and begin making money once again. In the East, that didn't happen as orthodox Stalinism was imposed in the GDR by Ulbricht and that, combined with the appropriation of infrastructure by the Russians, left a longer legacy of destruction and dislocation.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have foreign soldiers in East Ham High Street or to realise they had a right to be there and you didn't any longer. We know brutal excesses (certainly in terms of rape) were committed by Soviet soldiers in the liberation of eastern Germany (and Berlin) and one or two incidents occurred involving French, American and even British soldiers during the conquest of Germany.

The Red Army did not "liberate". Not taking issue with your post specifically, it bugs me that theword "liberate" is generally used to refer to any situation in WW2 where the Germans are pushed out of a region.

Also, the situation often gets easier when you break up larger regions into smaller owns. After lower Silesia voted to remain in Germany one of the few plebiscites actually held, the Entente powers had no problem with separating those territories that voted for Poland from those that wanted to remain with Germany. This, of course, was a blatant violation of the Treaty of Versailles, but at least it was consistent with the objective of creating ethnically homogenous states.

The Treaty did not say that Upper Silesia would go to the country which got more votes. The Treaty said that Upper SIlesia would be divided.

Honestly, in such a situation, your only choice is between ethnically consistent borders (e. g. not awarding West Prussia to Poland) or ethnical cleansing (which was done after WWII, and spared post-war Poland a lot of trouble, at the expense of millions of indigenous Germans).

West Prussia was not awarded to Poland. Pre-1914 West Prussia = (1) areas which remained part of Germany + (2) Free City of Danzig + (3) areas which went to Poland, the so-called corridor. 1+2+3 in total had a German majority but 3, which was the only region which Poland actually got, had a Polish majority.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
We know brutal excesses (certainly in terms of rape) were committed by Soviet soldiers in the liberation of eastern Germany (and Berlin) and one or two incidents occurred involving French, American and even British soldiers during the conquest of Germany.

One thing that I learned from recent literature (and not from Wikipedia, for that matter) and which surprised me is that mass rapes of German women were not limited to the eastern front, although that's how they're remembered in Germany. Probably because of Nazi and Cold War propaganda, it's always the red army which is depicted raping and plundering, while the brave Americans and British are giving chocolate to the nice German children.

Meanwhile, the French army existed.

The Red Army did not "liberate". Not taking issue with your post specifically, it bugs me that theword "liberate" is generally used to refer to any situation in WW2 where the Germans are pushed out of a region.

In the context of Germany, 1945 was certainly a liberation, especially for those sitting in the prisons and camps, but also for the general population finally set free from the horrors of war. Of course, that liberation was accompanied by new hardships and the violence of occupation, but that wasn't comparable to what had preceded it.

The Treaty did not say that Upper Silesia would go to the country which got more votes. The Treaty said that Upper SIlesia would be divided.

Ah, excuse me, my bad. I just read it up in the Treaty (Article 88) and it's true that the partition of Upper Silesia was planned from the onset.

West Prussia was not awarded to Poland. Pre-1914 West Prussia = (1) areas which remained part of Germany + (2) Free City of Danzig + (3) areas which went to Poland, the so-called corridor. 1+2+3 in total had a German majority but 3, which was the only region which Poland actually got, had a Polish majority.

Ok, pretty messy!

But why then separate Danzig from Germany, if not to f*ck Germany over a little bid more?

One thing that I learned from recent literature (and not from Wikipedia, for that matter) and which surprised me is that mass rapes of German women were not limited to the eastern front, although that's how they're remembered in Germany. Probably because of Nazi and Cold War propaganda, it's always the red army which is depicted raping and plundering, while the brave Americans and British are giving chocolate to the nice German children.

Meanwhile, the French army existed.

Everything I've been able to find on the western front indicates the number of cases was vastly lower, and that the number was dropping as the war went on, meaning the WAllied armies committed more atrocities in France than in Germany. It is almost completely absent from history however (like most atrocities from period, in fact, which given how much we talk about the atrocities of WW2, really goes to show just how nasty the war was).

Well! I learned something. Thanks for that.

That said, West Germany was able to recover more quickly because it did not have to deal with the imposition of a wholly alien ideology. Weimar was capitalist - the Nazis were capitalists to a degree and didn't discourage the profit motive. Once the capitalist system had been restored, those who were able to adapt could rebuild and begin making money once again. In the East, that didn't happen as orthodox Stalinism was imposed in the GDR by Ulbricht and that, combined with the appropriation of infrastructure by the Russians, left a longer legacy of destruction and dislocation.

Isn't East Germany still part of Germany though? And doesn't its history matter when assessing the impact of WW2 on the country?

(Also, the West actually stripped more infrastructure from West Germany than the Soviets did from the East, just West Germany rebuilt more during the Cold War.)

So I really need to ask you about your sources here. I've got to admit that I've most information about the war goals discussion from the German Wikipedia page on that subject, which however is pretty substantial and, most importantly, substantiated. Doesn't seem to be based on hot air. And they say that Alsace-Lorraine emerged as a war aim pretty early in France (really on the first days of the war) and that France devised several plans to weaken Germany considerably, mostly by creating an independent Rhineland and annexing/getting control of the Ruhr area.

Every book on French history that I have and also the memoirs of some of the French negotiators at Versailles.

Yes, there were those who indeed considered dismembering Germany. Foch wanted to annex the Rhineland (and was told to shut the heck up by his civilian bosses) and the French did attempt to support separatist groups in the Rhineland in the 1920s, only to find that there weren't really any separatists.

France had more than 30 million people at this time. Unsurprisingly, those who weren't responsible for signing the treaty on behalf of France exploited that to make wild claims about what they would have done if only they'd been allowed in the negotiating room. (Poincare could have been a part of negotiations if he'd wanted, but knowing that any treaty would disappoint France, he instead fed his old political enemy Clemenseau to the peace process. It worked. After Versailles Poincare had a political career and Clemenseau's was destroyed.) The people who were actually responsible for holding the bag quickly realized that a partition of Germany was in no way practical or desirable for the barely-standing France, who was in no state to enforce such a settlement.

In other words, when checking those people referred to in the German wikipedia, pay close attention to where and when they said it and if they actually had any power in the peace making. For example, Foch sounds important, but had no power when it came to writing the treaty. Clemenseau, being the leader who whipped France into shape after hope had started to flag in the last stages of the war, surely said he'd do alot, but what did he actually do when he was leading the French peace delegation? Poincare certainly was no friend of Germany, but at no point did he use his presidential power to actually enact any of the noises he was making - either to directly involve himself in the French delegation or to over-rule the delegation. He could have grabbed the wheel. But instead he stayed in the back seat and loudly carped about how he'd drive if he had the wheel.

Well, if I had the power to enforce the peace in 1918, which of course no individual had, I would probably mandate plebiscites in all contested territories (no outright annexation), as well as allow the various parts of the dissolving Habsburg Empire to join there various "home nations" (Italy, Poland, Germany). Germany would have to pay reparations, mostly for the damages caused in Belgium, as the invasion of that country was an obvious violation of international law, and for the unrestricted submarine warfare.

The League of Nations would be entrusted with making sure that nations respect the treaty, overseeing plebiscites and publicizing any breach of the peace. The League of Nations would also administrate the former German colonies.

Of course, that's totally utopian and pays no respect to political/economic interests and the actual atmosphere after four years of war, especially in the victorious nations, but you asked me what a fair peace would look like in my opinion.

Hm. So, not only does Germany gain territory, but gold still floods out of Europe and into the US, inflating a massive financial bubble there which in turn puts the world on the path to the Great Depression?

And are you allowing plebiscites in all of Austria-Hungary, or just assuming that all Galicians want to be Poles and all Austrians want to be Germans? And what happens to the Sudetenland? It isn't "contested territory" at this point so is it just made part of its "home nation" (i.e. Czechoslovakia). What about Slovakia? Is its "home nation" Hungary (that it has been part of for longer than Hungary has been Hungarian) or Czechoslovakia or should it be independent?

And how the heck do you satisfy those in Germany who will only accept victory?

Personally, I think the most important way the peace-makers could have done a better job was to better consider how the post-war economy would work. If Germany is to "pay", how does Germany earn the gold to do so? If the US and UK are to get their loans repaid, how can that process be managed so that the sheep of the European economy isn't butchered. Ultimately though, I think for most of the immediate questions, there are no good answers.

fasquardon