Det som går ned må komme opp-An Alternate Royal Norwegian Navy TL

Of course, that assumes the BoF is won...

I hadn't really thought about the US's response, other than this making the news

They are currently repairing themselves the best they can with the limited facilities, then yes, they will proceed to Bergen, and assuming they make it, the Norwegians will have a half-flotilla of DD's by British standards. Trondheim will be a major factor in the coming chapters.

Yeah, the Allies respect the Norwegians a lot more now, there are also far less collaborators than OTL

British/French planning underway.

Along with the target practice in Bergen, daring torpedo attack in Trondheim, courageous defense of Horten and Kristiansand, the easy win at Fornebu, and of course, Oscarsborg

It's going to be announced that the Germans attacked, our armed forces, thankfully modernized this decade, inflicted heavy casualties, the British and French are coming to help us as soon as they can, the Germans won in a couple places, but only barely and we won most of the battles, of course it will be more detailed than that.

Yeah, the RN and MN can make life difficult for the convoys. Problem is, there are now extensive minefields covering the Skagerrak, and almost everything the KM has is covering convoys

It's on the list, which will be clearer on April 9, the day the invasion happened.
One can not disregard the role of moral and the psycic influence of the war. The Whermacht was wied as unstoppable until 1942 with everything going against the allies. ITTL Norway has all but stopped the invasion in its tracks on the first day. The morale of the western allies will be bigger and among the troops on the ground the Germans will not be seen as supermen

And the "request" by the German ambassador in Sweden that Sweden should not mobilise will perhaps not be heard.

You´re right, if we are lucky we might get to see something i´ve always wanted to see in a TL - a swedish intervention in norway!

There were also 3 Polish destroyers that participated in Norwegian theater ops OTL, combined with the five RNN destroyers you could get an eight ship flotilla
To be fair I was referring only to the ships that will be available to reinforce the Norwegians the following morning. Also I really hope you let Grom survive as she has a awesome name

And the "request" by the German ambassador in Sweden that Sweden should not mobilise will perhaps not be heard.
Swedish reaction will indeed be very interesting...
Wasn't it Sweden that allowed Germany to use Swedish railroads to send soldiers to Narvik in OTL? At what moment of the battle did that happened?

You´re right, if we are lucky we might get to see something i´ve always wanted to see in a TL - a swedish intervention in norway!
Swedish reaction will indeed be very interesting...
Wasn't it Sweden that allowed Germany to use Swedish railroads to send soldiers to Narvik in OTL? At what moment of the battle did that happened?
The Swedish reaction is going to depend very much on how France goes

More very good stuff, I do hope to see some very large guns going off at very short range. (At a close enough range, Warspite's guns punch through Bismarck's armor just as effectively as vice-versa, and the competence of the crews might be what determines who floats and who doesn't. Sinking the Bismarck is one of very few ways that Warspite's career could be more amazing.
Poor Admiral Raeder is going to have a stroke at this rate
A stroke is a brain hemorrhage...a 9 mm hemorrhage, either self induced or caused by external causes is more likely, IMVHO. Do they list it as "Brain hemorrhage," or "Lead Poisoning?"

SwampTiger

Banned
I know your focus is naval, but what is the status of the H75-A6's? Have the ones at Oslo in crates still sabotaged? Are the ones at Keller able to fly, or is the snow and slush trapping them on the ground? The Norwegians also had five of them at sea, which were diverted to Britain. She also has 24 H75-A8's under order which were delivered to Norwegian forces in Canada.

Well! Watched!

I've been catching up the past few days.

I am confused by the status of the Soviet Union in all this. I have to wonder, how come there is no Berlin-Moscow Pact? What prevented it?

Mind, I'm awfully glad that did not happen; very bad things came of it OTL. But that is pretty much the point actually, why I have to ask.

In addition to the strategic benefit Hitler got, being reasonably sure he had the Bear all mollified and lulled for his eventual invasion plan, the Pact involved major materiel benefits to the Reich. Stalin agreed to ship all sorts of resources, including oil, to Hitler.

How can Hitler have proceeded essentially the same way as OTL, and doubled down on the invasion plan for Norway, without offering this deal to Stalin?

I know your focus is naval, but what is the status of the H75-A6's? Have the ones at Oslo in crates still sabotaged? Are the ones at Keller able to fly, or is the snow and slush trapping them on the ground? The Norwegians also had five of them at sea, which were diverted to Britain. She also has 24 H75-A8's under order which were delivered to Norwegian forces in Canada.
The Norwegians got D.XXI's with American engines TTL, 12 are fighting in Oslo, 12 are being rushed to completion in the Kjeller factory
Well! Watched!

I've been catching up the past few days.

I am confused by the status of the Soviet Union in all this. I have to wonder, how come there is no Berlin-Moscow Pact? What prevented it?

Mind, I'm awfully glad that did not happen; very bad things came of it OTL. But that is pretty much the point actually, why I have to ask.

In addition to the strategic benefit Hitler got, being reasonably sure he had the Bear all mollified and lulled for his eventual invasion plan, the Pact involved major materiel benefits to the Reich. Stalin agreed to ship all sorts of resources, including oil, to Hitler.

How can Hitler have proceeded essentially the same way as OTL, and doubled down on the invasion plan for Norway, without offering this deal to Stalin?
There is a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, this deals with Norway mostly, I'm focusing more on evens in Norway, any changes to OTL are in the story

Forgive me, I happened to notice this post from March 16:

The KM pretty much used everything it had to invade Norway, and getting Sweden to invade with them is ASB IMO and I'm not going to do a Berlin-Moscow Axis

I guess the "not" that I bolded is a typo? All italics and bolds are mine of course.

The whole clause seems to be a non sequitur in context of the thread as it is--were you responding to stuff that got edited out by others or to PMs or conversations on other threads?

In context of your clarification the Pact happens as OTL, which sadly makes excellent sense, of course, I suppose you might have been drawing a distinction between the Soviets being in effect co-belligerents with the Axis but not actually part of the Axis, which makes sense. But as you say given the close focus on Norwegian divergences alone, it was puzzling to me why you mentioned this at all. Without this one clause I would of course have assumed everything in the East is just as OTL.

Forgive me, I happened to notice this post from March 16:

I guess the "not" that I bolded is a typo? All italics and bolds are mine of course.

The whole clause seems to be a non sequitur in context of the thread as it is--were you responding to stuff that got edited out by others or to PMs or conversations on other threads?

In context of your clarification the Pact happens as OTL, which sadly makes excellent sense, of course, I suppose you might have been drawing a distinction between the Soviets being in effect co-belligerents with the Axis but not actually part of the Axis, which makes sense. But as you say given the close focus on Norwegian divergences alone, it was puzzling to me why you mentioned this at all. Without this one clause I would of course have assumed everything in the East is just as OTL.
By a Moscow-Berlin Axis, I meant that there wouldn't be an Axis consisting of the USSR and Germany fighting together, it would be OTL Axis, I didn't think anyone would mistake that for no M-R Pact, my bad.

The Norwegians got D.XXI's with American engines TTL, 12 are fighting in Oslo, 12 are being rushed to completion in the Kjeller factory
Open speculation here:
Is the Norwegian command of Fokkers goign to lead to more in service with the Dutch KLu? OTL they ordered only 36 fighters and the deliveries were completed by the autumn of 1939, that is only little more than a year after the first of the batch got out of the factory. Give Fokker a bigger contract and nine more months of production and I'd say we could see 20-25 more delivered by the time of the German invasion (if the author have the Germans follow their OTL schedule of course).
Looking at what the small numbers of D.XXIs did to the para's Ju 52s on May 10, I wouldn't want to be in any of those transports come the TTL invasion of the low countries...

Driftless

Donor
By comparison, the Finns got very good use out of the Fokker D.XXI's (To be fair, the Finns probably could have turned a box kite into an effective fighter). I believe it was one of their preferred weapons.

By comparison, the Finns got very good use out of the Fokker D.XXI's (To be fair, the Finns probably could have turned a box kite into an effective fighter). I believe it was one of their preferred weapons.
I'm now imagining the horrible things the Finns would have done to the Red Air Force if a ASB had given them a radar network and 250 P-47-Ds and the parts and training to maintain them

Last edited:
Exactly, the D.XXI wasn't a Spitfire but for 1940 it was a very fine defensive weapon. It was also simple to build and maintain, two qualities that makes a weapon system extremely useful in war conditions. I've always though this plane to be one of the underdogs of early ww2, one that is often overlooked because the Luftwaffe simply seemed to roll over everything it faced thanks to its sheer size.
That's why I'm interested to see wath is going on in the KLu, I know this is a Norwegian naval TL but still, I'm curious.