Destroy the ozone layer?

What is the worst plausible scenario for ozone depletion (bromine instead of chlorine in industrial gases? Delay in discovering ozone depletion?)? What would be the consequences of this level of depletion?

No Industrial revolution accompanied by an ever increasing level of cattle, horses etc throughout the world. Methane destroys ozone.

Without an Industrial Revolution, would we be able to grow the grain to feed such a large population of domesticated ungulates?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Earlier discovery of CFCs - whilst the ozone problem might be known about earlier, the correlation won't be accepted by most, and the will to do anything about it won't emerge until about the same time as it did in OTL

Would it be possible to make CFC-based weapons and to see them used in massive fashion, maybe in Vietnam?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

No Industrial revolution accompanied by an ever increasing level of cattle, horses etc throughout the world. Methane destroys ozone.

I don't think methane destroys ozone. Chlorinated methanes maybe, but not methane itself. You need the halogen to perform the reaction.

Would it be possible to make CFC-based weapons and to see them used in massive fashion, maybe in Vietnam?

I don't think you could control where the CFCs go. The reason the ozone hole is in Antarctica is because global air currents carry all the CFCs there I think.

Earlier discovery of CFCs - whilst the ozone problem might be known about earlier, the correlation won't be accepted by most, and the will to do anything about it won't emerge until about the same time as it did in OTL
The Laboratory/Blackboard calculations were known. There are still questions about the effects in the real world, CFCs v Cold v Polar lack of sun and the balance between these.
It is only a coincidence that all the Media Hype happened just as the DuPont Patent expired, and dozens of competitors were waiting to produce the CFC at pennies of the DuPont cost.

Well, that CFCs aren't flammable or poisonous is kind of the reason they were considered useful for household aerosols in the first place.

I don't think any have properties suitable for use in warfare.

Well, that CFCs aren't flammable or poisonous is kind of the reason they were considered useful for household aerosols in the first place.

I don't think any have properties suitable for use in warfare.
Massive Hairspray bomb to make the Vietcong uncomfortably sticky?

gallows humour

lol

But there was an uncomfortably sticky weapon used against Vietnamese, and that was flammable.

But a CFC is just, like, used as a propellant gas. No idea if CFCs have ever been used for aerosol dispersion of chemical weapons, I kind of doubt it though.

Maybe you could issue every GI with a spray can with VX nerve agent as the liquid inside if you really wanted a widespread use of CFCs, perhaps take their rifles away too, make sure the cans get plenty of use...