Describe Your own Tentative timelines, pre 1900

The Dead Captain

*Horatio Gates KIA at Braddock's Defeat.

*Benedict Arnold is in command of the Continental Army at Saratoga.

*Arnold triumphs at Saratoga and receives his due credit from Congress.

*Arnold (not injured at TTL Saratoga) leads Washington's main attack at Monmouth, rather than Charles Lee.

Still working on where it goes from there.

If anybody knows some good accounts of Monmouth, I'm looking for material to better sort out the butterflies there. The keys are who and what are where and when, regarding the British forces debarking from Monmouth Courthouse on the day of the battle.

Also, just what Washington's main battle plan for Monmouth was to be, before he had to adjust for Lee's sudden retreat is required and I'm having trouble finding info on that.

Falastur, it probably wouldn't be hard to think of a POD that would keep Scotland more culturally tied to Scandinavia, or at least have the monarchs of Scotland and Denmark marry each other, if you study those countries' history. However, I would like to suggest that Scotland breaks away from Denmark at some point.

Falastur, it probably wouldn't be hard to think of a POD that would keep Scotland more culturally tied to Scandinavia, or at least have the monarchs of Scotland and Denmark marry each other, if you study those countries' history. However, I would like to suggest that Scotland breaks away from Denmark at some point.

Oh, I know. The Maid of Norway might do the trick, for starters I guess. As for breaking away...perhaps, but I like personal unions ;) Trust me, there aren't many in my story, but I wanted to ensure Scotland had a good bulwark to expanding English influence across the border, and a political tie to Scandinavia seemed pretty much the right way of going about it. Plus, I see little reason why they would need to separate at some point if they experience several centuries together. The growing unified culture(s) would ease them in, the sea in the way would prevent excessive undue control of one country by the other, and with two such diverse countries there would always be an element of individual political ruling systems. Scotland wouldn't become a Danish province, it would if anything at most become a new Norway...likely as not it would retain far more autonomy even than that. Hanover and the UK is perhaps a better comparison.

But yeah. I don't really feel the confidence to write this TL anyway, so I tend to let minor inconveniences like that slide on the principle of "if I never write it, no-one will complain" :eek:

A house subdivided: After a relatively short (6-12 months), somewhat [not a "total war"; the South sues for peace or simply splinters after a couple major battlefield defeats] indecisive Civil War, the US holds a fresh constitutional convention, resulting in a binational confederation, or Dual Republic. The Washington government still exists but only handles foreign affairs and possibly the Navy. Slavery is replaced by debt peonage in the cotton belt (valuable exports). Each republic's government is headed by a Secretary of State, but beyond that the two governments have many differences and develop others over time. They have parallel armies, but only the Washington government can declare war.
With the late nineteenth century US far less unified than OTL, the Civil War-era vacuum of power in the Americas persists. Even if Maximilian eventually falls, French influence in Mexico is far more pronounced and the Spanish successfully re-colonize the Dominican Republic. When De Lesseps' sea level Panama Canal effort fails the shares are bought out by the UK, rather like what occurred with the Suez Canal.
Approaching the turn of the century, the US is wealthy but less thoroughly industrialized, more divided and unequal than OTL, and so is much less able to project power abroad. It might eventually emerge as a world power, but this would be delayed 2 generations or so, in which time rivals would be much more firmly established. In other words, bipolarity never develops.

Last edited:
im not sure if mine would count 1) because its ASB, 2) because it stretches into the near future, and 3) because it actually has multiple PODs, though most of them start pre-1900

Unconditional Surrender
POD: Beuaregard does not contract a badly timed cold in early 1862 and is sent to command the Fort Donelson garrison and breaks out of said fort.

-Features a bloodier Battle of Shiloh, AS Johnston living (along with some changes to other generals' lifespans ;)), a different Western Theater, and some other such fun things

Its still in the planning stages, but its coming along nicely.

The Dead Captain

*Horatio Gates KIA at Braddock's Defeat.

*Benedict Arnold is in command of the Continental Army at Saratoga.

*Arnold triumphs at Saratoga and receives his due credit from Congress.

*Arnold (not injured at TTL Saratoga) leads Washington's main attack at Monmouth, rather than Charles Lee.

Still working on where it goes from there.

If anybody knows some good accounts of Monmouth, I'm looking for material to better sort out the butterflies there. The keys are who and what are where and when, regarding the British forces debarking from Monmouth Courthouse on the day of the battle.

Also, just what Washington's main battle plan for Monmouth was to be, before he had to adjust for Lee's sudden retreat is required and I'm having trouble finding info on that.
Isn't that the same thing as Ichbinkaiser's TL:confused:

NothingNow

Banned
Royal Cuban Timeline V2.0 - I swear I'll get to it sooner or later. Probably sometime this decade, after Sticking with a Sure Thing and CTY end.
*POD on 1646 09 08, instead of some time in 1651 or 1652, as was in V1.0, however Alfonso Diaz is still born to an unnamed actress on 1653 06 26, and is the second bastard son of Felipe IV.
Felipe IV dies in 1668, Balthasar Charles ascends to the throne peacefully. Don Juan still has a decent amount of power, but isn't interested in gaining anymore at this point in time.
*After receiving a decent Jesuit education in Toldeo and then attending Universidad de Alcalá, Alfonso Diaz begins an eight year "grand tour" of Europe in 1671, including a stop in Amsterdam from 1677 to 1679. *Levi Maimon gets corrupted as in V1.0 (Seriously, the kid went from wanting to be a Rabbi to becoming an accountant for the VOC.)
*Things go roughly the same from here in the New World, but there is no Inquisition Report, the Cuban Archives and the then "Real y Pontificia Universidad de Santiago de Cuba" are at roughly the same time, and Diaz engages in his proxy war with the Viceroy of New Spain. Charleston gets burned to the ground, South Carolina withers on the vine, and an Cherokee speaking Maroon nation develops in OTL Georgia. and by 1700, the Canek goes and invents the concept of Nationalism, forging a unified Mayan state with Blood and iron and more or less limited in OTL's Peten Department and Belize.

*In Japan the Maimon Shogunate comes about as in V1.0, and as the Jewish communities of Edo and Nagasaki grow (having been established upon the invitation of Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, and extended by Maimon Levi,) it begins to displace the local Burakumin. This has the unique effect of more or less eliminating Pork as an ingredient in Edo cooking over the space of a century. However, Turkey, Schmaltz, Potatoes and the Macaroon were among the foods introduced by Jewish community at this time.

*The later portion of Tsunayoshi's reign was a rather tumultuous , being marked by the Genroku Akō incident, the eruption of Mount Fuji and , and marked by clashes as Levi, Yanagisawa Yasuakira, and Tokugawa Ienobu clash, each attempting to gain power over the Rōjū in Tsunayoshi's Illness.

Oh, and in Europe everything gets fucking weird, although it's much more stable without the War of Spanish Succession tearing everything up. But I still need to do a bit more work there, and find the rest of my V1.0 notes.

Last edited:
East Resurgent

Double POD:
1) Charles XII wins the Great Northern War, and then status of a great power.
2) Joseph Ferdinand of Bavaria survives his ordeal with Smallpox, inherits the Spanish throne, and the Spanish Empire (in Europe) is divied up between France and Austria.

From there, things go out of their way to be different:
  • Austrian culture is imposed on Naples, while the Mafia is imported to Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.
  • The Yamasee remain the dominant Indian culture in the South.
  • Spain remains neutral in the *Seven Years, but reforms are much more half-assed than OTL.
  • Swedish and French forces dispose Augustus II of Poland, and install a Swede-friendly regime
  • A Succession crisis in Russia causes the Swedish backed Poles to snatch the Ukraine.
  • Prussia fails to keep Silesia, and becomes a Pushover to Saxony-Poland.
  • Bavarian importation of Spanish goods enlarges Bavaria's sphere of Influence in Germany, causing a Munich-Dresden Coldwar.
  • ...A big war...I won't say much right now. That would ruin it.
Fool's Experiment

POD: Charles Darwin kills a butterfly in Argentina, and leads a different life. (traditional butterfly POD)

Small changes occur at first, until by 1880;
  • A Military, Revanchist New Grenada (Colombia),
  • French Japan, and French Korean protectorate,
  • A Republican and Kingdom of Italy vying for position in the Peninsula, with a rump Two Sicilies Kingdom in Sicily.
  • Russian Moldova, as well as Russian Alaska
  • A looser Argentine Confederation, which survives up till *WWI
  • Greater use of Special Operatives in Warfare
  • Confederate Sympathy in the US South.
And by 1900
  • South America is on the verge of total war
  • Sicilians are in the Congo
  • Ethiopia, Persia, and Siam don't have the same luck they do IOTL, and are colonized as well.
  • A Russian Puppet state in Mongolia has carved bits of Russian occupied China into 'Greater Mongolia'
  • *Tanks (called 'Rollers' ITTL) are making a debut
  • America has treated it's neighbors much better, helping to Stabilize Mexico.
And King Emmanuel II of Italy is riding in a Motor karraige, when an Italian Republican arises from the crowd and fires three shots into the King's chest...

Sure.

The Eternal Rot (a story of the Western Roman Empire)
  • Ricimer loses control of Anthemius when the latter successfully retakes Carthage in 467; the Suevic puppetmaster of late Rome is quietly disposed.
  • The coffers of Rome aren't nearly so strained thanks to the North African revenue.
  • The foederati are paid for their services; Odoacer never revolts, the WRE doesn't fall in 476.
  • There's still Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Franks and Burgundians within the confines of the Empire. Although the Visigoths, Franks and Burgundians are still theoretically foederati, Rome only has firm control over Italy, Carthage, southern Gaul and the eastern Spanish coastline; revenues are still way lower than they were a century prior, and the government is very much feeling the strain. The foederati begin to assert greater autonomy within the Empire while still recognizing the Roman Emperor as their liege. In theory.
  • Britain is pretty much beyond hope at this point; it is not recovered.
  • The Western Roman Empire devolves into a Holy Roman Empire-like mess of semi-autonomous powers that continue to divide themselves up into ever-smaller entities.
  • ???
  • The WRE survives, but its institutions have radically changed to deal with the circumstances and it kind of sucks ass.
It's basically what I tossed together when I started doing the EU3 mod, although I wouldn't stretch the timeframe nearly so far out in the timeline proper.

Something Rotten in the State of Denmark.
-The Danish Royal Family is assassinated/dies of sickness? and leaves young Prince William, Duke of Gloucester as the heir to the Danish Crown.
- Leads to joint Union between Denmark and Great Britain, eventually.
- Norway leaves and forms its own country with its own Monarch.
- Eventual Dano-British control over most of North America, including Greenland and Iceland
- Am thinking there would eventually be an Imperial Civil War over succession in the late 18thC and early 19thC which would eventually result in the Imperial Crown transferring its power overseas to the American Colonies. Or else, the empire will be permanently divided between the two sons of one of the Emperor.

A More Perfect Union
- Quebec/Canada rebels with the other Colonies which leads to a stronger Confederation of American States.
- This would eventually lead to the United States having control of most of the territory of North America, except the south western territories(such as Texas, New Mexico, Arizona...etc.)
- Giant Texas Republic, "from sea to shining sea"
- Republic of California
- French Central America (Their India)
- Successful Napoleonic Dynasty.
- Kingdom of Denmark-Prussia

The Khan of China
- Genghis Khan and his sons solidify their conquest of China instead of turning west to invade Samarkand/Persia and Europe.
- Eventual conquest of China and Japan under the Mongol Rulers of China.
- Rebirth of the Holy Roman Empire which stretches from Hungary to the Atlantic Ocean, including the English Isles.

Last edited:
The Purple Dream
(title is Stephen Vincent Benét reference)

I'm actually thinking of this as an account of a movement toward U.S.A./C.S.A. reunification in the early 20th century. But first I need to develop the background.

POD: Lincoln assassinated in February of 1861

Hamlin becomes president. The start of the Secession War is… I haven't decided yet, but it's a more ambiguous incident than the attack on Fort Sumter.

There's a bad series of defeats for the North in 1862. The Democrats narrowly retake the House. George H. Pendleton becomes Speaker.

Then, in April of '63, Hamlin is assassinated by Booth. President Pendleton declares an armistice while he tries to get the seceded states to return peacefully. The two sides spend a year negotiating and sending treaty proposals back to their congresses to be voted on before talks break down.

'64 is another bad year for the Union. George McClellan and Thomas Seymour defeat Salmon Chase and Thaddeus Stevens at the polls. McClellan negotiates a peace treaty with the Confederacy. And that's how the South wins the war.

Some notes:
• France will assume the Confederate war debt in exchange for the Confederacy sending troops to help Louis Napoleon hold on to Mexico. It won't end well.
• The Confederacy will try to take Cuba. This also will not end well, and will discourage them from going after northern Mexico.
• Britain will be a Confederate ally, but only up to a point.
• The U.S. will get Alaska, Hawaii and the Dominican Republic, but Britain will buy the Philippines from Spain and will get together with France to buy Puerto Rico and divide it.
• Slavery will technically, and only technically, be abolished around the turn of the century.

TL(s) in Progress

¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte!-Captain Ignacio Allende takes command of the ragtag Insurgent Army instead of Father Hidalgo soon after the Grito de Dolores, and the resulting butterflies allow for all of the leading figures in the Méxican independence movement to survive a much shorter war for independence, paving the way for a more stable and powerful México.

Idea(s) I have for future TL's*

Laurels of Glory

An alternate Méxican War of the Reform...haven't given it much thought but it's another area of Méxican history I really want to play around with.

*If and when I actually complete Por La Patria.

Alright, so I suck with naming stories, but they are locked in, more or less for now.

Ongoing
A Very Dangerous New World
Granted, its an ASB ISOT sort of nonsense, but its in 1488 and concentrates a great deal on real european events of the time, such as:
  • Alien Western Hemisphere plays havoc on European colonization
  • Portugal-wank, Castile-screw, Papacy...something, Breton-wank, German-screw...?, and more
  • A (multiplied) Reformation-analogue wherein the religious dissidents all claim rightful authority as a Papacy-equivalent
  • Italian Wars without France/Spain
  • Cults, Demons, and Political Marriages - OH MY!
On Hiatus
The Long Road
Didn't like the setup, and have yet to find the style I want, so it's on the backburner while I finish college and work out some kinks. Includes no ASB elements as above, although...:
  • Mali-wank and discovery/colonization of the New World
  • Longer and more pain-in-ass Reconquista
  • Prester John like wtf, mate!
  • Holy Roman (really an) Empire
  • Zheng He Zanzibar?
  • French Mexica
  • and other stuff I haven't figured out.
Ideas for Future TLs
A Decision Made - Princess Elizabeth is executed for treason, legal proof be damned. Some fun future backstabbery leaves the Tudors a thing of the past...
Extra-Strength Danelaw, Now with fewer Britons! - Alfred the Great is amongst many of the those other "the Great"s which are, ITTL, simply known as "the Dead."
A Stray Bullet; A Stray Book - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson doesn't die outside Chancellorsville due to friendly fire. Meanwhile, back in '48 some German guys wrote a book which has found its way into the hands of some guy in Latin America.
A Handshake is All it Takes - GERMS! Something...

Ongoing (Provided I start working on it and posting on a more regular base)

A Happier Wedding, A Greater France
POD: Anne of Austria's four miscarriage OTL are not miscarriage ITTL.
Currently in its 2.0 version but only 1 post. As I don't want to make too many spoilers, I'll just say this will (obviously) end up as a French Wank.

On Hiatus, but I may start over once I finished the first

A Bonaparte Europe
POD was a successful Russian Campaign due to a different Russian Commander in the early phase (Bagration instead of Barclay).
Was given up due to poor researches and lack of time & motivation. Might be resurrected later.
Timeline was supposed to end up as a French Wank with a surviving Napoleonic Empire.

Ideas that I keep in a corner of my mind

William of Poitiers, King of England
POD would be the survival of the firstborn son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, William of Poitiers. Butterflies would be:

• Break up of the Angevin Empire into several states, as Henry II intended: the surviving William of Poitiers gets England & Normandy, Henry the Young gets Greater Anjou and Richard gets Aquitaine. Geoffrey still gets Britanny by marriage. Didn't decide what happens to John Lackland.
  • Philip II Augustus will be weaker than OTL, but he will still create the basis for a powerful French Kingdom.
John I the Wise, King of France
POD would be the survival of John I the Posthumous, which would change French History a lot.

Heirs of the Sun King
POD would be no Smallpox epidemy in the 1710s in the French court. As a result, the Grand Dauphin and Petit Dauphin (son and grandson of Louis XIV) both survive and end up as rulers of France. Louis XV would be TTL Louis XVII, but would be better councled and prepared and, obviously, a better ruler.

The King of Corsica:
Napoleon Bonaparte stays on his native island and continues fighting for its independence from France. He is eventually successful and is first made first consul and later king of the island. Napoleon's new role in history has considerable effects upon European history in general and French and Italian history in particular.

Republics and Kings (provisionnal title)

Frederick II dies at Kolnin. The French and the Austrian won the 7YW. The French keep their colonies and try to devellop them, ruining the crown and resulting in a revolution.

-Balkanized North America
-Independant kingdoms in India
-Civil wars in China
-Lots of Republics

Other Ideas :

-Rome destroyed early by multiple gallic invasions
-no unification of christianity which stays broken in a lot more sects
-Surviving "kingdom" of Soissons
-Harald Hardrada become king of England
-Cromwell commonwealth survive

Last edited:
Canceled: "For Fish, Fur and the Tsar!"

POD: A better management of Russian America leads to it remaining useful for St. Petersburg for a longer time (lower hunting quotas, a gold rush...)

Other points of note (partly spoilerific/not implemented):

- Russian-American friendship (underdogs unite!)
- a proper Russian California
- weaker British Empire
- early Russian civil war
- semi-successful 1848 revolution in Germany, Hungary and Italy
- weaker (but not weak) Japan

But relaunch possible.

Minor, not fully developed concepts:

- Napoleon emigrates to the Ottoman Empire and eventually becomes ruler of Egypt
- the CSA survives... and turns Communist in the late 19th century
- the British take Cuba instead of Florida (or both) at the end of the 7YW
- obligatory Aragon-wank
- Italy keeps Savoy and Nice in exchange for minor aid against Austria (still leading to an Italy-wank; known as Clevitalia to myself)
- more successful Bourbon reforms in New Spain lead to it not revolting from Spain in the early 1800s, paving way for a still powerful Spain with an equal Kingdom of New Spain in union with it (only to turn into a trans-Atlantic federal republic later)

Last edited: