Describe Your own Tentative timelines, pre 1900

Continental Victory: Napoleonic victory at Waterloo only to be crushed by the Austro-Russian force a few weeks later. British less willing to involve themselves in the continent. Russia grows stronger, Prussia knocks out Austria and unifies Großdeutschland. Continent devolves into war around 1900. Haven't thought it out past then.

The Other Empire Under the Sun: Spanish Armada succeeds. This is my mega-project. I know next to nothing about the period but would love to do a TL on this under-used but seemingly obvious cliche.

A More Perfect Union
A rework of my timeline America the Fallen. The Constitutional Convention fails, leading to a break up of the United States within a decade or so. However about 20 years later when Great Britain threatens to conquer one of the post-US confederations, the states reunite and form their More Perfect Union.

In the post-1900 one, too, since some listed theirs there, but...

Created Equal: Jefferson wins in '96 after the Frenchman who planned to write letters in support of him falls ill before writing to the newspapers, hence a few electors go the other way and Adams becomes VP.
In it, you'll see: Adams comes back in 1800 (mostly to keep Hamilton from winning). Expect a Spanish-American War within a dozen years of the POD. More British-American friendship. Aaron Burr starring as Huey Long and building a dynasty in the state of Louisiana, which becomes very egalitarian. And, Denmark on the Coalition side leading to British rescue of it to get to Hanover, with Napoleonic France getting very mixed up after Le Emperor's untimely death.

Target date - winter (Northern Hemisphere, that is), maybe earlier in December. I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year, I have a comedy idea I think I can get 50K words out of in a month.

Then, if work doesn't take too much time away, I'll start it (I don't like to start before I know I can get through a fair number of parts.

Last edited:
Not much thought into this yet but...
It's a long way to Madrid. Spain refuses to surrender in 1898 and the Spanish-American war drags on. The United States lands troops in Spanish North Africa, and then in mainland Spain. The war finally ends when US soldiers take the city of Madrid.

An unnamed timeline where Queen Anne dies young of doctors. Given more notice, the English bring over George's younger brother (a move used elsewhere in those times) and anglicise him. It was mildly Peru-wank, as come this alt-Seven Years War, the governor thought of himself as a sort of de Gaulle. (I rather liked having Spain governed from Lima. There were pure blooded Quechuas among Spains governing liberators.)

Fortunately, the slightly different Industrial Revolution ended up with a different-but-generally more advanced technology, and handwavimechanics can only go so far, and the spin offs even less so.

No N.O.
172? POD

The 1720's Hurricanes miss Biloxi. The French never consider moving the capital of Louisiana. New Orleans never founded.

British take Biloxi, & Louisiana [coast]

Different Treaty Aix Chappelle, both side keep conquests.

French Indian War
with British control of Biloxi [Gulf] & Fort Louisburg [Canada], the French hardly try to hold american territory, consintrating instead on expanding in far East.

1770's
ARW starts with 15 Colonies [Florida, Nova Scotia]

Kingdom of Darien

PoD Bonnie prince Charlie killed 1746 by persuing British army along with Flora MacDonald.

A charismatic chief called Duncan ralied the loyal clans around a baby he claimed was Charlie's, (Robert Silvestro Stuart), and set sail as lord protector with 1500 diehards and a small french fleet for the abondoned Scottish colony of Darien.

And so starts the story of the Kingdom of Darien and it's place in the world.

What do you think ?

An Alternate History of the Netherlands :D
-PoD: A general point, when the Netherlanders put religious differences aside for national goals (namely getting rid of Spain).
-A united Netherlands gives more manpower, and the Dutch grow stronger.
-Displace the Portuguese in Brazil, and drive the British out of India. The Dutch Commonwealth is what we'd call a Superpower after 1950.

Ethiopia of the West
-PoD: Morocco fails to conquer/destroy the Songhai Empire.
-The Songhai weather colonialism like Ethiopia (hence the name), surviving to the 21st Century.

And a few others, incomplete thus far.

Great American War
-POD: Henry M. Teller's Split from the Republican party is more acrimonious than OTL
-Anglo-American Relations deteriorate
-USA Annexes Cuba in 1905
-No WWI
-USA vs. Anglo-Japanese Alliance with south American allies on both sides in the early 20's

American Republics
The Thirteen Colonies win an early victory against the British, and never form a United States, thus creating six republics: New England (including suzerainty over a nominally independent Vermont), New York, the United States of America/the Atlantic (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware), the Commonwealth of Virginia, North Carolina, and the Charleston League (South Carolina and Georgia) which becomes the Republic of Carolina after North Carolina joins Virginia.

Actually, I don't see this as a TL so much as a board game concept (taking place from ~1780 to 1815), with all of the republics (minus North Carolina, plus British North America) as playable. Right now I'm trying to figure out mechanics. Unlikely that anything will come of it, but it's fun to think about, and no doubt I'll start more threads about it down the line. This comes out of a thread I made recently that's here.

PoD Bonnie prince Charlie killed 1746 by persuing British army along with Flora MacDonald.

A charismatic chief called Duncan ralied the loyal clans around a baby he claimed was Charlie's, (Robert Silvestro Stuart), and set sail as lord protector with 1500 diehards and a small french fleet for the abondoned Scottish colony of Darien.

And so starts the story of the Kingdom of Darien and it's place in the world.

What do you think ?
Definitely interesting.

Eh... what the hell, why not. Ok, so outside of my Hannibal timeline, I've had three main ideas that I've considered pursuing at different points.

La Tempete Parfait - Involves a successful French invasion of Great Britain in 1744 and a Jacobite restoration, as the wind that destroyed France's plans doesn't happen here. A Franco-wank, or at least a Brit-screw from OTL perspective. As second PoD would involve Catherine the Great dying of pneumonia before she marries Peter III (she was pretty sick with it at the time of the main PoD, but recovered). I'd have to read up a bit more on the period though before trying it.

Go Tell the Spartans! - Kind of an odd PoD, I think - King Croesus of Lydia gets some advice to ask the Spartans to send troops before he attacks the Persians, rather than after like OTL (year 547 BC). A small Greek force is sent, which tips the balance in Croesus' favor, and it's Cyrus' empire that falls, not Croesus'. This keeps Babylon and Egypt from being conquered by the Persians, and also gives a boost to Sparta, who at the time was rising to become the greatest Greek power, by earning a strong alliance with Croesus and his wealth. Admittedly, this one I would incorporate the most "rule of cool" in, as not only do I have less to work off of as far as clear, historical fact, but also because there's Spartans. ;)

The God of War (not sure on this name)- Alexander the Great timeline that I've toyed with a little, though I'll probably have to read a bit more on him and all that before I'd be really comfortable trying it. The PoD would be Hephaestion's survival, which I think would help Alexander out a lot in the long run for long-term survival, plus it's after his injury against the Malli, which I think would keep him away from risking his life in battle all the time. Haven't decided who exactly he'd conquer and who he wouldn't. Empire wouldn't entirely collapse after his death, though it would splinter. Might have an Alexander IV character break up the satrapies like the Seleucids, which helps the the remainder of it survive longer.
I can help a bit on that score:Livy tries...painfully to persuade us what difficulties Alexander would have faced if he had invaded Italy;of course we excuse the poor fellow,Alexander would land in Italy unopposed,take the lead of Magna Grecia,march north and since he would meet opposition
Rome would have had the fate of Tyre.The crucial question is:what would have happened if Alexander had accepted the letter of Darius for Eufrates demarcation line between the empires,mary Stateira,take the gold of Darius and turned against the west...

I can help a bit on that score:Livy tries...painfully to persuade us what difficulties Alexander would have faced if he had invaded Italy;of course we excuse the poor fellow,Alexander would land in Italy unopposed,take the lead of Magna Grecia,march north and since he would meet opposition
Rome would have had the fate of Tyre.The crucial question is:what would have happened if Alexander had accepted the letter of Darius for Eufrates demarcation line between the empires,mary Stateira,take the gold of Darius and turned against the west...
About your Lydian OTL I have to tell you that the episode took place 22 years later in Pelusium( where a small Greek contigent fighting with the Egyptians for a moment put the fight in a balance;Erick Mauraise in his "Introduction to Military History" writes:"Their desperate defence will astound the easterners and foretold the result of the Greco-Persian Wars and the final fall of the Persian Empire".You see there the Greeks were a small part of the army whereas in Greece they were the army....
It wouldn't make any difference if they were Spartans or from another city as long as they were professionals;anyway the Spartans had natural aversion for campaigns far from Peloponnese,fifty years later they refuse help to the Ionians in Asia Minor about to revolt against their Persian overlords(The Ionian revolution that precipitated the Persian Wars-499 BC)

Thanks for both the responses.

Dunno why necessarily Alexander, had he invaded Italy, would be opposed to Rome - at the time, Rome and the Samnites (and Etruscans) were fighting the Second Samnite War, which was pretty evenly contested, and Rome and Alexander of Epirus had come to an alliance during that Alexander's brief Italian campaign. If he comes at the right time, say after Caudine Forks or something, Alexander could use that and Rome's seemingly dire state to set up a deal that makes Rome effectively a client state, in exchange for his defeating the Samnites and Etruscans.

About your Lydian OTL I have to tell you that the episode took place 22 years later in Pelusium( where a small Greek contigent fighting with the Egyptians for a moment put the fight in a balance;Erick Mauraise in his "Introduction to Military History" writes:"Their desperate defence will astound the easterners and foretold the result of the Greco-Persian Wars and the final fall of the Persian Empire".You see there the Greeks were a small part of the army whereas in Greece they were the army....

It wouldn't make any difference if they were Spartans or from another city as long as they were professionals;anyway the Spartans had natural aversion for campaigns far from Peloponnese,fifty years later they refuse help to the Ionians in Asia Minor about to revolt against their Persian overlords(The Ionian revolution that precipitated the Persian Wars-499 BC)

Sparta's unwillingness to go outside the Peloponnese with troops is overstated - Sparta and Corinth besieged Polycrates of Samos for a couple months only a couple decades after the PoD I'm thinking of. The Ionians, rather than already being allies, plus they had left open the possibility of a really long campaign that could cripple Sparta at home. Here, the only goal is for Croesus to quickly defeat Cyrus, and then demand Cappadocia from him (which was Croesus' only real objective for the campaign), and would be at the very most a two year campaign, and probably closer to a year and a half or a year long committment. And I only plan on Sparta sending a few hundred people (3-600), a King, and having their other allies contribute maybe a thousand more - they have to leave a solid army back in Greece to ensure Argos doesn't take advantage of their absence. So I think I should be good as far as that goes...

Man, I have so many of these; I've got a list of roughly 60 PoD ideas starting in ancient Athens, but I only start to get rough TLs from them starting in the late 18th Century...

-----

PoD: Benedict Arnold sulks at Saratoga
Results: The battle, and subsequently the war, is lost by the Americans. Includes: France sticking up for Poland in 1791, leading to a alternate Continental War; a more divided India, including sovereign states; the Atlantic Slave Trade lasting into the 1830's, and slavery lasting well into the 20th Centuries in much (more) of the world; an Empire in Mexico headed by a Bourbon, that includes most of North America west of the Mississippi; the Holy Roman Empire not only surviving, but binding together, helped by Prussia's loss in the Polish Wars and an independent Hungary; and the definition of "republicanism", in places like the Republic of [South] Africa, evolving to develop an authoritarian ring.

-----

PoD: Northwest Ordinance bans slavery in "territories acquired in the next five years"; Hamilton puts off introducing his "British Plan" at the Philadelphia Convention
Results: First part means when Tennessee is brought in as a territory (as OTL), the Yazoo Lands are as well (earlier than OTL), and Kentucky votes to prohibit slavery in its constitution -- all that means that slavery soon becomes restricted to the southeastern seaboard. Meanwhile, the Convention discusses and rejects the Slave Trade Clause, leaving the issue of the trade untouched. This TL sees President Adams outlawing the Atlantic slave trade in America; a later Cotton Gin (1808); black heroes in the War of 1812; an earlier War with Mexico, and a free Texas; and a Carolina War in the 1840's that ends with the abolition of slavery in the United States. Oh, and TTL is an Ameriwank, with annexations in Nicaragua (and possibly Cuba).

-----

PoD: The French Royal Family escape to the Austrian Netherlands
Results: The National Constituent Assembly votes that Louis, his son, and brothers have "vacated" the throne; after debating a Republican measure, Louis Phillipe [II] is offered the throne, and accepts. Oh, and without the Champ de Mars Massacre, LaFayette remains popular, and goes on to be an important part of French politics, serving as PM on several occasions. The TL also sees a limited war with Austria; surviving "bastard laws" in France, picking up elsewhere; a French Haiti that provides citizenship for the Gens du Color; Thomas Jefferson elected US President in 1796; a less influential Edmund Burke; and more.

-----

PoD: Napoleon decides against sending a military expedition to Haiti in 1801
Results: Big picture, Napoleon makes a better go at preserving the Peace of Amiens, which survives until circa 1809. Meanwhile, Touissant agrees to increasing the "imperial share" of his island's revenue, and the decade sees much naval and military buildup in French America. All this leads up to a Napoleonic War that pits the US against the French Empire, including Native Nations flocking to the French banner, and slave uprisings across the young republic. Oh, and the French also invade Mexico around this time.

-----

PoD: Madison Administration gets Congress to hold off on declaring War against Britain for a few months
Results: In the interim, word reaches of the end of naval impressment, thus averting the War of 1812. Much US military buildup follows, and William Crawford is elected President in 1816. All leads to US declaring war with Spain (over Florida, and other things) in 1818. Also sees earlier Mexican independence and better US relations with Latin America.

-----

PoD: John Q Adams takes umbrage when a friend of Clay approaches for a political deal in 1825.
Results: Following their nominee's stroke, Crawford's supporters turn to Andrew Jackson, who is confirmed by the House. His Presidency is more troubled than OTL, seeing little popular backing for banking policies and killing his VP Calhoun in a duel during a nullification controversy. He is defeated in 1828 by Henry Clay. TL sees an enacted American Plan; Cherokees getting (albeit reluctant and belated) Federal protection; Presidents Lewis Cass and John Fremont; Speaker and VP Abraham Lincoln; an earlier Westward expansion and Civil War; and more.

-----

I'll have to add more sometime later...

The Unfortunate Case of Mr. Madison

While watching the battle of Washington DC, President Madison is captured by the British. His Vice-President, upon hearing the news, suffers a fatal heartattack. The United States is forced to go through a few election but, by this point, negative morale has seeped through the American troops.
The United States eventually signs of a peace with Great Britain, losing the Old Northwest, and Oregon, and recognizing an Indian Republic under Techumsah.
The Federalist Party, despite the hartford Convention, becomes the dominant party in the United States. Meanwhile, southrons flee to Texas to reestablish an ideal Republic.
We end up with a more centralized America, a fractured North America and some other fun!

The Lion and The Lilly

A Nova Scotia that remains whole from the ARW, including its claim over E. Maine to the Penobscot river. Titled as duchy and is granted responsible government in 1838, it took on Bermuda, and the Bahamas.

Come 1950 follows Newfoundland into confederation with Canada, as its hopes of having Newfoundland join it are dashed by a rigged referendum.

This is a lot more economically capable Maritimes, that would be able to speak for itself in the Empire and in Canadian politics.

Deleted member 36284

On to Montgomery!

-The Capital of the CSA is never changed to Richmond
-This Causes a completely different Union strategy mainly focused on landings in Mobile and the Western Theater.

Bozhe, Tsarya khrani!

In this TL, Russia does better with making a constitution and reforming the army. It did well in the Crimean war, Protecting the Christians in Jerusalem and won some eastern parts of Turkey earlier. Later it won the great game, winning over ethnic Azeri and Turkmen parts of Iran while A rump Iran was a Russian puppet. Later the Russians won the Russo-Japanese war, and gained Manchuria and Korea becomes a Russian puppet. And later it did well in WW1 (But a third alliance fighting both the CP and the Entente), gaining more territory