Intro
  • Manfred_von_Richthofen.jpg

Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen

------------------

"War is not as the people at home imagine it, with a hurrah and a roar; it is very serious, very grim."

"Where der Kaiser failed, Der Führer succeeded. Where our brothers fell in battle, our sons rose in triumph."

"Every pilot must be trained to the same standards as his wingman, otherwise he is a danger to himself and his fellows."

"Our female pilots in Kampfstaffel Reitsch have demonstrated that women can fly as well as any man, Mein Führer."

"We must disperse our factories, or else I cannot promise that Deutschland
    is safe from enemy bombers."

"A simple variable-time fuse can make one flak shell inflict the damage of ten."

Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, 1st Luftmarschall of the Luftwaffe, quotes from Unser Sieg

Note: This is an Axis victory TL. Just saying.

Another Note: The format of this TL is a short 3rd person view of the event and then the short/mid term TL events that are affected by the change. There is some dialogue as I believe its important to see history from a personal view, rather than just statistics and analysis.

FULL CREDITS to CrimsonKing for the style of this post. I am just using the style because I like it and think its cool. This TL is TOTALLY different than his. Just thought I'd give him the rightful credit for developing this introduction style.

Comments, suggestions and questions are encouraged and welcome.

Last edited:
    Chapter 1: A narrow escape
  • Wervik, Flanders
    06/07/1917

It was another gottverdammt Vickers. The German pilot struggled to evade the observer's .303 Lewis gun as he dived down towards the F.E.2d fighter. Banking sharply to the left, he managed to avoid the deadly rounds as he returned fire with his twin 7.92mm Spandau MGs. The German watched as the rear gunner slumped and the enemy pilot desperately put his damaged fighter into a shallow dive, trying to escape his relentless foe. Suddenly, the German pilot felt a sharp pain in left arm. Ignoring the pain, he quickly put his Albatros into a dive which was followed by a sharp right turn. The second F.E.2d overflew the Albatros and the rear gunner began firing, though the Fokker managed to avoid the lethal hail by swerving sharply to the right.

The German glanced at his fuel gauge. Just enough benzin left to bring down this Engländer and make it home. He turned his Albatros around, opened up his throttle, and chased after the two British fighters, intent on their destruction. Putting his Albatros into a shallow dive to gain speed, he quickly shifted into in a climb as he closed in unseen on the two Engländers from below. His first burst of fire shredded the first F.E.2d's right wing, putting it into a spin and sending it crashing to the ground. The second plane fled towards the southwest as the observer kept up defensive fire, though it was completely unnecessary. The Albatros had already turned towards the northeast, as headed back to its aerodrome. Manfred knew he had been wounded and decided to break off the attack.

The ground crew was already waiting as the red Albatros D.V landed on the grassy airfield. The pilot clambered out of his fighter and greeted the eager ground crew. Frederick, the chief mechanic, was the first one to inquire about the sortie.
    "Any kills, Manfred?"
    "Just one Frederick, an F.E.2d. Second one fled into the clouds. And can you call the doctor over, I think the Engländer grazed my left arm."

Manfred von Richthofen survived that fateful day with a mere graze on his left arm. He was kept on the ground during the next few days as his arm healed. During this time he contemplated an idea that had been swirling around his head for several weeks. It was a strategy; one that would define the face of air warfare for the next century. Manfred committed his ideas to paper as soon as possible, not knowing which flight would be his last.

The Red Baron's inital strategy of air combat was as follows:

1. Air superiority is the essential prerequisite to any large scale operation. This must be established promptly by fighter aircraft or one must expect heavy losses due to enemy air attacks.

2. Once air superiority is established, bombers can move in to destroy enemy forces. Their first objective must be the destruction of the enemy airfields unless friendly ground units are in a position to secure the airfield. This denies the enemy aerial support and allows friendly ground forces to operate unhindered.

3. The third stage is the use of fighters and bombers to attack enemy supply lines. This prevents them from receiving reinforcements and hurts enemy morale.

4. The final stage involves the use of fighters and bombers to destroy enemy ground and naval forces. Areas defended by AA guns are to be avoided in order to prevent heavy aircraft and aircrew losses.

Unfortunately for Imperial Germany, Manfred did not inform the Großer Generalstab of these innovative ideas as aerial combat over Flanders grew more intense by the day. (1) Managing Jagdgeschwader 1 took all of his time and effort while he was on the ground. (2) Losses continued to mount on both sides and replacements were urgently requested. The life expectancy of new pilots dropped sharply as the quality of their training decreased. This left an unforgettable mark on the Red Baron as he watched young German men who hardly knew how to fly being shot down by more experienced and better trained opponents, all the while powerless to do anything.

Down below, the war in the trenches continued unabated...

As usual comments, suggestions and questions are encouraged and welcome!

Notes:
    1. Großer Generalstab is German for Great General Staff, which was its official designation
    2. Jagdgeschwader is German for fighter wing.

Last edited:
    Chapter 2: "Fokker Dr. I" by Adolf Hitler
  • A military hospital in Flanders, Belgium
    01/05/1918

The hospital exploded into cheers as Manfred von Richthofen and his brother Lothar entered the busy ward. Nurses and doctors weaved left and right as wounded soldiers cheered on the two air aces. It would be Manfred's birthday tomorrow and Lothar had insisted that he would commission Manfred a painting to celebrate this occasion. Manfred had insisted that they visit the hospital first, as the propaganda unit had suggested a week ago. They reached a deal where they would both visit the hospital, and Lothar would look for a painter while they were there.
    "Excuse me Feldwebel, do you know anyone who is good at painting here?"(1)
    "That would be Gefreiter Adolf Hitler, Freiherr von Richthofen. He was just dropping off a wounded comrade." (2)
    "Do you have any idea where he went?"
    "I saw him leave through that door to the left over there a few minutes ago."
    "Vielen danke, Feldwebel. Hope you get better soon." (3)
    The Feldwebel nodded his thanks as Lothar hurried outside to find this Gefreiter Hitler.

Manfred was talking to some recovering troops as Lothar walked in with a Bavarian Gefreiter who wore a short mustache.
    "Freiherr von Richthofen?"
    "Yes, that me. And you are?"
    "Gefreiter Adolf Hitler. I was told your brother that you would like to have a painting commissioned." Hitler saluted the Red Baron.
    "Ah yes. I would like a oil painting of my Fokker Dr. I."
    "What?!? You want a painting of your plane of all things?" Lothar was astounded by his brother's choice of subject.
    "Lothar, I know what I want. I trust Gefreiter Hitler here will do a wonderful job."
    "Of course Freiherr. I shall not disappoint you. Now, if you will excuse me, I must go and retrieve my paints and brushes."

Some hours later, in an open field where Jagdgeschwader 1 is based...

Hitler was just adding the finishing touches to the commission when the 2 brothers walked over to see how the painting was coming along.
    "What do think, Freiherr? Does this painting match your demands?"
    "It most definitely does. Which art school were you educated at, Herr Hitler?"
    "None. I am a self taught artist, Freiherr."
    "A prodigy then. This is wonderfully accurate portrait of my Fokker." Manfred reached into his pocket and took out a total of 600 which Lothar had given him 30 minutes ago.
    "Freiherr, you misunderstand. This painting is a gift. Freiherr Lothar told me that tomorrow is your Geburtstag." (4)
    "No, I insist. Good artists must be compensated for their pieces."
    "Then I humbly thank you, Freiherr. Let us hope that we both survive this war."
    "Amen to that Gefreiter. May our paths cross again."

fokker dr 1.jpg

A replica Fokker Dr. I, one of which was always flown on Luftwaffetag to celebrate the founding of the Luftwaffe and its roots in the Luftstreitkräfte. (5)
    They were always painted bright red, which amused the Red Baron as his own plane was never this brilliant shade of scarlet.

The painting titled "Fokker Dr. I" by Adolf Hitler is currently held by the von Richthofen family in their Kleinburg estate located near Breslau. It is one of their most treasured pieces, as it was painted by the 1st Führer of Großdeutschland.
    The meeting between the 2 now famous men would have a great effect on history. Manfred's payment for his commissioned painting was the most money Hitler had ever received for a single piece of art he produced. Consequentially, he held a high opinion of the Red Baron from that point onwards. This extended to politics, as Hitler never interfered with Luftwaffe operations and von Richthofen was one of the few people in the Reich who was always and completely truthful with him. Manfred's opinion of Hitler was also high, especially after the ascendance of the Nazi Party in 1933. He saw Hitler was as a visionary who brought Deutschland out of poverty and chaos after its terrible defeat in World War I. Many military officers and Nazi officials who wanted to pass on important ideas to Hitler often went to Manfred, as they knew he was one of the few people who Hitler held in high esteem and trusted completely. This became especially true after accidental demise of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler in February 1936, the Unmasking of the Traitors in March 1938, and the death Rudolf Hess in the Elser plot of November 1939.

Notes
    1. Feldwebel is German for Sergeant.
    2. Gefreiter is German for Lance-corporal/Private 1st Class. Freiherr is German for Baron
    3. Vielen danke is German for thank you very much.
    4. Geburtstag is German for birthday.
    5. Luftwaffetag is German for Luftwaffe day. I invented this term. :cool:

There have been some minor edits (word choice, grammar, and spelling) to my previous posts which removed some of its clunkyness.
    Nothing important has been changed.

Until next time y'all!
    -Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Chapter 3: The End of the Kaiserreich
  • A airfield somewhere in Flanders
    11/11/1918

It was over. Manfred refused to believe that it was over. Der Deutsches Heer was losing, but surely Deutschland would never surrender. (1) Yet the Kaiser himself had left for Holland, abdicating his throne as he fled. This disturbed Manfred the most, as he had always believed that the Kaiser was a vital part of Germania; it's beating heart. If the Kaiser had fled, than was left for Germania? Manfred was wrestling with these thoughts as his chief mechanic Frederick walked into his command hut.
    "Freiherr, the Kiel mutineers have been suppressed, but Admiral Scheer ordered the entire fleet scuttled in deeper waters to prevent our ships from falling into enemy hands."
    "Feldwebel, that is the first piece of good news I have heard all day. Lang lebe der Kaiserliche Marine."
    Frederick nodded in agreement and then handed Manfred a rather large piece of paper.
    "Freiherr, everyone in Jagdgeschwader 1 has decided to follow your orders in spite of recent events. We will fight on if you order it sir!"
    "No Frederick, the war is over. I have no heart to see any more men under my command die for that dog of a Kaiser and his foolish Generalstab. Prepare our planes for destruction, but make sure they are not destroyed until I give the order."
    "Jawohl Freiherr." As Frederick walked over to the planes, he wondered what had changed inside the Freiherr in these few days. A officer who was once dedicated to his duty now insulted the Kaiser's name.(2) But Frederick understood the real reason behind this change. It was truly the end of the Kaiserreich.

Manfred sat alone in his command hut, fingering his Luger P08. He put it down on the table and stood up. Killing himself would make him no better than the Kaiser. There was still hope for Deutschland yet and Manfred had a feeling that his destiny had something to do with it.

Riga, German occupied Latvia
    June 17th, 1919

Oberleutnant Ludwig Maximilian Erwin von Scheubner-Richter paused to look up at the name of the bar before going inside. He was sure that this was the right one, as all the other ones had yielded no results. Outside, the high pitched screams of a teenage girl echoed through the night air, followed by the rapacious laughter of several young men. It was like Armenia all over again, thought Maximilian, except this time it was his fellow Germans that were the wolves and the Latvians that were the sheep. As he walked inside the bar he was saluted by a Jäger in a sloppy fashion. The man had his rifle slung over his shoulder casually as he held a mug of beer in his left hand, and he looked half-drunk by the looks of it.

"Soldat, do you know where can I find Feldwebel Werner Herzfeld?" The soldier nodded before pointing to a man sitting in the corner of the room, at a private table. Ludwig nodded his thanks before walking over to the table, as the soldier saluted again before letting out a loud burp. This bar was a busy place tonight, observed Max, as he weaved through drunken German soldiers who were getting stumbling out of the bar. As he reached the table, the man sitting down looked up at him. It was Werner, who seemed to recognize Maximilian in the same instant.

"Maxi! Where have you been these past weeks, Genosse? I haven't seen you since we took Riga on the 23rd of May." exclaimed Werner as he got out of his seat to shake his friend's hand. The 2 men shook hands, albeit in a very warm and friendly fashion.

"I've been busy Werner. HQ noticed my fluency in Russian and Latvian, so they assigned me the job of being a translator. I've been going with the around the local villages collecting taxes with the 1st Battalion for the past couple weeks." replied Max, as he and Werner sat down at the table. Werner chuckled at the thought of his friend become a glorified tax collector when he had been member of the German consulate in the Ottoman Empire during the war. Alas, how the tides of fate ebb and flow.

"Want a drink Max? You look like you could use one right now."

"Just a single shot of schnapps Werner. I don't want to go home drunk tonight." Werner gestured to a nearby waitress and called for 2 shots of schnapps.

"Speaking about home, how is your Mathilde?"

"She's alright. Just the usual, you know." Max's face grew slighty uneasy at the mention of his wife Mathilde, the mere mention of her name reminding him of the doctor's diagnosis.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you Max, but there'll be a party with the prettiest girls in Riga over at the hotel down the street in about half an hour. You coming?"

"I can't Werner, I've still got Mathilde and those vows mean something to me." explained Max. A waitress arrived with their drinks and the 2 men made a toast to the Vaterland before downing their shots in a single gulp.

"Tsk, a pity. You should enjoy life while you can Maxi, lest you become an wrinkly old man with unfulfilled desires." teased Werner. "But it's your choice in the end. Say, you haven't come all the way back to Riga just to talk with your old friend Werner and visit your wife, have you?"

Maxi smiled. "You guessed it Werner. The real purpose of my trip is to inform General Bischoff about the state of our defenses outside the city."

"So how are they Maxi? How is our glorious trench-line?"

"Perfectly fine. Our enemies will be decimated before they even get within a kilometer of our defenses. Every house near the frontline has been turned into a blockhouse, trenches are stocked with food, water, ammo and medical supplies and we've even set up the half dozen 152mm Russian guns we captured from the Reds into some sort of battery."

"Wunderbar." Werner took a shiny new gold pocketwatch out of his coat pocket and peered at it for a second. "Mein Gott, I'm going to be late for the party!" he exclaimed. "I'm sorry for cutting this conversation short Maxi but I've seriously got to go." explained Werner as he rose and dusted himself off.

"It's alright Werner. We can continue our conversation tomorrow at HQ. Just make sure to enjoy yourself tonight, lest you become an wrinkly old man with unfulfilled desires." Both men laughed at the joke before shaking hands. As Werner walked out of the bar towards his party, Maxi noticed that his friends was also sporting a pair of brand new officer's boots, together with his shiny new pocketwatch. They were probably looted from dead Latvian or Estonian officers thought Maxi, as walked over to the bar and placed several bills on the counter along with a number of coins.

"For the drinks. Coins are for the waitress." The girl smiled at him as he walked out of the now almost deserted bar towards his apartment. As he walked into the warm summer breeze, Maximilian thought about what he had heard from Werner. A party with the finest girls of Riga; more like a orgy of coerced sex and rape. The desperate cries of another teenage girl pierced the nighttime silence as Maximilian heaved a deep sigh, though he did not slow down.

We were once men, but now we are nothing, nothing but beasts. Beasts of war let loose on an innocent country because those republican cowards in Berlin abandoned us to our fate. Look at us now God, look at what we've become.

*****************************************************************************

The surrender and destruction of der Kaiserreich marked the end of an era. On November 9th, 1918 the Kaiserliche Marine under the command of Admiral Reinhard Scheer scuttled itself in deeper water off Kiel after suppressing the Kiel Mutiny through force and persuasion.(3) This controversial act was both a curse and blessing to Germany. Most German people applauded the act at the time, as it spare them the further humiliation of having their navy seized by the victorious Entente. The majority of the Entente were enraged by this blatant act of resistance, especially France, who desired the Hochseeflotte as war prizes.

This final act of defiance lead to an immediate occupation of the Ruhr Valley and Rhineland following the November Armistice, enforced by the Entente nations. French, British, American and later Belgian troops began marching into the Rhineland and Ruhr on December 9th 1918. Their entry was unopposed, as what remained of the Imperial German Army was busy demolishing the many Soviets that had sprung up all over Germany. Alone among the Entente, the Americans advised mercy, as they feared that such harsh terms on a proud country would lead to a general hatred of the Entente nations by the German people. Their warnings were ignored by the rest of Entente, especially France and Belgium. What no one could predict was that the Treaty of Versailles would ultimately come back to haunt the Entente in ways they could never have imagined in 1918. (4)

Meanwhile on the Eastern Front the Bolshevik Revolution was raging in full force, and it spilled over into the former lands of the Russian Empire such as the Baltic States, Poland, and Ukraine. After the November Armistice, German forces began a massive, yet orderly retreat back to German territory, but not before turning over control of the areas they held to right-wing, counter-revolutionary forces. The state of Ukraine, previously supported by the Germans after the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, was given control of all lands in Ukraine formerly held by German forces.

Despite the massive retreat, German ambitions for a nation in the Baltic area ruled by ethnic Germans remained. An experienced German infantry officer, Major Josef Bischoff, formed a Freikorps unit out of the thousands of German troops that were being withdrawn from Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania, with the goal of repelling any Bolshevik advance in East Prussia. Yet the Eiserne Brigade and other similar formations had their own agendas as well; the establishment of a German state in the Baltics. Estonia saw through their ruse and refused any German assistance, accepting volunteers from Scandinavia instead, together with naval support from the Royal Navy. Somehow, the Estonians managed to successfully repel the Bolshevik advance in a brutal war that last for a year.

Latvia however, was less successful than Estonia and requested the assistance of the Eiserne Brigade. The brigade's ranks had swelled after an recruitment campaign which targeted returning German soldiers from both fronts, promising money and land in the Baltics in exchange for service. A similar unit called the Baltische Landeswehr was formed around the same time by Major Alfred Fletcher, a German infantry officer of Scottish descent. After discussions among the two commanders and their staff, the 2 Freikorps units soon merged into one singular division, the Eiserne Division. The overall commander of the new unit was Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz, who had previously commanded the Baltic Sea Expeditionary Division in the last war. The new division (though they were composed of battle hardened veterans) quickly experienced their baptism of fire on February 7th 1919 while defending the port Libau (Liepaja). They proceeded won several victories against the Red Army in short succession, one of which saw the complete annihilation of 10000 Latvian Riflemen, one of the Red Army's elite units. Over the course of the fighting, the Germans copied their foes in mounting their MGs on horse drawn carts, a significant improvement in mobility and portability. (5)

With the Red Army defeated and in total retreat, the Germans executed their secret agenda and turned on their Latvian allies, seizing Riga on May 23, 1919 with the assistance of local Baltic Germans. The Latvian nationalists immediately counterattacked German forces, but were driven back in disorder. Defeated, the Latvians turned to the Estonians for assistance in driving out the Germans. Yet the combined Latvian and Estonian forces were still incapable of expelling the Germans from Latvia and it was demonstrated during the German defense of a small town 50 km northeast of Riga on June 10th, 1919. The 3rd Estonian Division along with assorted Latvian Nationalist forces attacked the town, (which had been turned into a small fortress by it's battle-hardened German defenders) hoping to storm it on the first try, but ended up losing over half their numbers dead or wounded after several failed assaults on the position. A turning point in the battle occurred when the Germans counterattacked using Sturmtruppen tactics and forced the Latvians and Estonians to retreat in disorder, leaving behind their dead and wounded. German forces did not have sufficient medical supplies at the time and the Hauptmann in charge of the German forces ordered the medical personnel to treat their own wounded first, leaving the Latvians and Estonians to bleed to death where they fell.

Meanwhile in Riga, terrible things were unfolding as German troops ran rampant through the streets killing anyone accused having Latvian nationalist or socialist/communist sympathies. Their bodies were hung on lampposts and telephone poles for all to see, but the Germans didn't stop there with their cruelty and brutality. Droves of teenage girls were raped day and night, many by several German soldiers at once and some were killed after being raped. The "Iron Terror" lasted for several weeks until General Bischoff and Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz put an end to the chaos, not because they cared about the Latvian people but because they feared that their troops were becoming undisciplined. Though the killing came to a halt, the rape continued, for the Germans were the law and none dared to oppose them as they fear the consequences. Many German soldiers consequently took advantage of General Bischoff's orders by extorting protection money from the shopkeepers and store owners of Riga. The Germans soldiers who planned to stay in Latvia after their victory began to looks for prospective brides in the surrounding villages and countryside (Riga was locked down and under curfew, which prevented news of the "Iron Terror" from spreading to the countryside and other nearby towns). Quite a few marriages took place during the German occupation, with the Germans taking many of the most beautiful Latvian country maidens as brides. Like things in the world though, the German occupation of Latvia would come to an end. (6)

The Entente nations "insisted" that the German withdraw from the Baltic States under the terms of the Versailles treaty, yet General Josef Bischoff (he was promoted to the rank of General by after the stunning victories of the Eiserne Division over the Red Army) initially refused to withdraw, as the Germans had the upper hand in terms of men, supplies, and equipment, along with the fact that they were occupying Riga, all nearby towns and the surrounding countryside. On June 25th, the Eiserne Division boasted 14,000 combat hardened veterans, some 60 aircraft of varying types (they had a surprisingly high serviceability rate), some 50 artillery pieces of varying calibers, and over 150 machine guns. A well-equipped field hospital and six battalion sized cavalry units (two of them were composed of White Cossacks who joined the Germans after their stunning victories over the Red Army) rounded out the capabilities of the reinforced division. The Latvians and Estonians would have certainly underwent another terrible slaughter had they tried to recapture Riga alone and without support. (7)

However, the Germans knew they were surrounded by hostile forces in a foreign land without any support from Berlin and began preparing their defenses immediately after their victory on June 10th. Defensive trenches were dug, MG positions were set up, and sandbagged artillery positions were set up by the men of the Eisen Division. Morale and spirits remained high among the Germans; confident that they could annihilate anything and everything the Latvians and Estonians threw at them. Yet it was at this moment that the Entente sent a delegation to General Bischoff's headquarters with an ultimatum: withdraw or Riga would be blockaded and then bombarded by naval gunfire. There were several Allied warships anchored outside of the harbor of Riga and their delegates gave General Bischoff and his staff one hour to make up their minds. After consulting with his staff and receiving approval from his commander Generalmajor von der Goltz, General Bischoff decided to withdraw the Eisen Division from Latvia under the condition that they be allowed to keep their weapons, which he said would be needed to combat the Communists that were plaguing Germany. This condition was reluctantly granted by the Allied delegation and thus the German occupation of Latvia ended on July 20th, 1919.

The Latvians cheered upon hearing this news but little did they know the consequences of their victory. Before leaving Riga, General Bischoff ordered his men to place timed demolition charges and booby traps in many of the cities buildings and set them to explode as the last German units left Riga. He also ordered all ships that were not being used to evacuate German forces (the Germans conducted the withdrawal by both sea and land, with the naval withdrawal being led by Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz) to be scuttled at the mouth of the harbor, to spite the Entente and the Latvians. If those orders weren't enough, the General ordered his men to conduct as scorched earth campaign as they retreated back to East Prussia. As the Germans marched through the Latvian countryside towards East Prussia, they burned houses, destroyed bridges and knocked down telephone poles. Villages that didn't hand over food and water to the Germans were massacred, with their inhabitants (both the dead and the living) thrown down the well, followed by a few hand grenades. Latvian forces harassed the Germans on several occasions but they were usually driven off before they could cause any serious casualties or damage to the Germans. The Eiserne Division was not alone in its westward march back to East Prussia, for the 12,000 men that made up the Deutsche Legion (a collection of various German Freikorps commanded by Major Sievert) chose to follow the Eiserne Division back home to Deutschland.

This was another blow to the West Russian Volunteer Army (commanded by Cossack General Pavel Bermont-Avalov), which was now down to 20,000 men (the vast majority were Cossack cavalry that had served in the Imperial Russian Army during the war) without any aircraft and little heavy artillery. Ultimately, General Bermont Avalov chose to retreat to Lithuania, despite the Lithuanian government's refusal to allow the Bermontians (the name given by the Latvians and Lithuanians to the West Russian Volunteer Army) to establish a base of operations in Lithuania. They captured several Lithuanian cities including Šiauliai, Biržai, and Radviliškis, though they engaged in the same brutal practices as the Eiserne Division; robbing, looting, raping, and killing the local populace when it pleased them. One of the more interesting rules they enforced once they captured a town was that only Russian could be used in all matters concerning administration. Yet for all their success they were defeated in a battle near Radviliškis when the Lithuanians launched an all-out attack against the last of the foreign invaders that still remained on their lands. The Bermontians were forced by a superior number of Lithuanian troops and forced to flee.

After their defeat on July 15th, General Bermont-Avalov and his staff finally chose to give up their ambitions in the Baltic region and retreat towards East Prussia like the Germans before them. Their journey was far more dangerous than that of the Eisen Division because the locals were wary of the Cossacks and White Russians. Lithuanians made guerilla attacks against the long winding columns of men, horses, wagons that made up the West Russian Volunteer Army, though they did little damage because the Cossacks were skilled in fighting off such attacks. After a long, grueling march through hostile territory, often made barren by the marauding Germans that had passed through before them, the Bermontians finally reached the border with East Prussia on August 8th, 1919. The German government in East Prussia agreed to grant them asylum under the condition that they put themselves under the command of the government. General Bermont-Avalov had little choice in the matter, with hostile Lithuanians on their backs and their homeland of Russia being devoured by the Bolshevik beast. Thus he agreed to the terms offered by the Germans and the 20,000 strong West Russian Volunteer Army settled in East Prussia, awaiting the day where they would march into Russia and liberate their homeland from the evil Bolshevik that plagued the land.

As for the Eiserne Division and Deutsche Legion, the infantry and cavalry columns finally reached East Prussia on August 2nd, 1919 after a long march through the Lithuanian and Latvian countryside. The planes and artillery reached East Prussia a couple days earlier on July 31st, disassembled and transported (along with their crews, of course) in "requisitioned" merchant ships that sat in Riga harbor on the day of the ultimatum. Being packed in nondescript crates ultimately prevented them from being destroyed as part of the Treaty of Versailles, because the crates were quickly whisked off to secret warehouses that were guarded by their crews after being unloaded at the docks. The infantry took a few casualties on their march back, but overall the withdrawal was a brilliant success, General Josef Bischoff, Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz and General Alfred Fletcher being hailed as heroes by their men and the Germans in East Prussia, where the German populace saw them as heroic warriors returning home after driving off the Red Hordes that would have otherwise overrun East Prussia.

Latvian women and girls who followed their German husbands, fiances, and lovers back to Germany were welcomed, as many were ethnic Germans or could speak German decently. These women and girls quickly integrated into their new communities, but not without bring some of their own Latvian traditions to their new households. They were not the only ones to follow the Germans back home, as tens of thousands of Latvians of German ethnicity chose to join the Eiserne Division on the march home rather than remain in a nation where they would be persecuted for being German due to the actions of the same men they now accompanied. (8) The Russians and Cossacks that made up the West Russian Volunteer Army also integrated rather well into the East Prussian communities where they chose to settle. It was around then that a new vois’ko (host) of Cossacks was formed from the Cossacks of the Eisen Division's cavalry units and the West Russian Volunteer Army, who called themselves Prussian Cossacks after their new, adopted homeland. This new host was made up of Cossacks from different hosts located all across the former Russian Empire, though they were all Russian speaking people who were belonged to the Russian Orthodox Church. Many of these Prussian Cossacks married German women and consequently, their children grew up speaking German as well as Russian, in a new culture that had traditions from both groups. General Pavel Bermont-Avalov, the man who lead them to their new home, was elected Ataman (leader) of the Prussian Cossacks, a role he would retain until his retirement after the Second World War. The Prussian Cossacks would later play an important role during Nazi Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union, where they would exact a terrible vengeance against the Soviets for the expulsion of their forefathers from their original homeland.

Ultimately the German occupation of Latvia would have several far reach consequences on the fledgling nation. Chief among them was the destruction wrought upon Riga and it's people during the occupation, the wholesale destruction of the land traveled by the Germans during their westward retreat, as well as the Latvian girls and women who were raped during the occupation. The majority of Latvian girls and women who were raped by Germans during the occupation would be ostracized by the rest of the populace in the coming years. This was due to the thousands of Latvian maidens who willing followed their German lovers and husbands back to East Prussia, which led the Latvian people to come up with the incorrect conclusion that these women had seduced German soldiers instead of being raped. Children born to these women and girls from rape were also ostracized by the community and shunned by their peers. In a horrific twist of irony, many would later become willing collaborators with Nazi Germany so they could seek revenge on those who wronged them in their youth. Overall, the damage done to the Latvia and it's people was immense both in monetary and psychological terms, and the nation struggled to recover in the following years though they would eventually succeed in their task. The biggest consequence of the German occupation however, would be suffered by the Soviets just over 20 years later, when Stalin gave the Baltic Nations an ultimatum in the summer of 1940. (9)

French occupation of the Ruhr following WW1.jpg

French troops on occupation duty in the Ruhr Valley following WW1.
    During the occupation, France attempted to boost production by bring in more foreign investments, but without willing workers, this plan fell on its face. This occupation would last until 1925, when a combination of sabotage and general strikes by the populace, supported by various Freikorps, forced them and the Belgians out. The people of the Ruhr Valley and the Rhineland would be some of the Nazi Party's earliest and most loyal supporters due to their desire for revenge against the French and Belgians. The German nationalism preached by the Nazi Party appealed to the wounded pride and shattered spirits of the inhabitants in those regions, who's votes would ultimately decide the fate of Germany in 1930.

SMS_Bayern_sinking.jpg

SMS Bayern sinking stern first after being scuttled by it's crew. The steel and guns from these scuttled ships would serve Germany once again in the coming decades.

von der goltz on the left bischoff on the right.jpg

Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz and General Josef Bischoff.
    Von der Goltz is on the left and Bischoff on the right.
    Generalmajor Rüdiger von der Goltz was the overall commander of the Baltic Freikorp unit known as the Eisen Division.
    General Josef Bischoff was Generalmajor von der Goltz's 2nd in command and the commander of the Riga garrison.

Baltic Freikorps.jpg

Germans and Latvians of the Eisen Division and it's predecessor units the Eisen Brigade and Baltische Landeswehr.

Aircraft of the Eisen Division.jpg

Aircraft of the Eisen Division being unpacked and prepped for battle.

Notes:
    1. Deutsches Heer is German for German Army
    2. Jawohl is German for Yes Sir.
    3. Kaiserliche Marine is German for German Navy
    4. The Versailles treaty is the same as OTL for the most part. Here are the main differences:
    • German possessions in Shandong are mostly transferred to China, except for a small Japanese concession on the coast. German officials would hand the territory over themselves, leading to better Sino-German relations down the road. German investments were another main part of their improving relations as secret German weapons factory were built in various cities in coastal China, which brought money and jobs to the area. German employers generally treated their Chinese employees fairly to improve productivity and attract more workers.
    • The immediate occupation of the Ruhr Valley and the Rhineland by French and Belgian forces were supported by German communists, who made a deal with the French government. They would take over the administration of these lands following the withdrawal of French and Belgian forces. After the revelation of this deal in 1924 by the Nazi Party, communism became highly unpopular in Germany, as they were seen as traitors to the Vaterland.
    • The scuttling of the fleet off Kiel is another main difference. ITTL the ships were scuttled for 2 main reasons. First, the German naval officers knew that the Hochseeflotte would be seized by the Entente as war prizes and they didn't want that to happen. Second, they feared that they had lost control over some of their crews after the Kiel mutiny and that communist sailors might seize the ship and pull an Aurora like what happened in the 1917 Russian Revolution or a Potemkin like the mutiny in 1905. The Entente would not bother with the salvage of these ships, as the war was over and all nations sought to reduce their military spending.These scuttled ships would be secretly salvaged by German corporations until 1923 and most of the steel was hidden away in covert warehouses, along with all the salvageable naval artillery. Salvage work was halted by the German financial collapse of 1923, but resumed after the ascendance of the Nazi Party. The excuse was that the scuttled ships were dismantled for scrap, though nation such as France and Belgium remained suspicious. America persuaded them to leave the issue, as they sought to placate a nation with a growing desire for revenge.
    5) OTL the 2 units only merged after much later. Also, the Germans would probably pick up the Russian tachanka after seeing it in combat. Beats having to lug your Spandau by hand all the time.

6) Everything described here happened in OTL one way or another. Link

7) These are OTL numbers as well, see the link in 6).

8) The snowball is getting bigger. And bigger. And it will get even bigger.

9) Cliffhanger, heh heh.

Until next time y'all!
    -Black Dragon

EDIT: I've updated this chapter with lots of new stuff. Hope you like it! If there are any errors of any sort feel free to point them out.
    -BlackDragon98

Last edited:
    Chapter 4: Land of Plenty
  • New York City
    12/02/1919

Manfred was in wretched spirits as the RMS Cedric docked in New York. His nation was gone, a shell of itself, wracked by disease, communists, and partially occupied by the Belgians and French. He felt as if the sky had collapsed and there was nothing left, no glory, victory, or honor. Especially honor. He had downed 88 Entente planes but that was all for nothing, absolutely nothing. Walking down the gangway, he look at the looming skyscrapers that stood above him. The skyscrapers seemed endless.

America was truly the land of plenty his uncle Walter had spoken of when he visited the family many years ago. They were simply untouched by war. Businesses thrived, rationing was non-existent, and everything seemed to give off a positive aura. It would have been perfect if it wasn't for the Spanish flu that was sweeping across the world.(1) Many had already fallen ill or died in Deutschland, where the lack of food and medical supplies was a widespread problem. The mere thought of the suffering made Manfred angry. He was angry at the Generalstab for losing the war, angry at the Entente for the harsh terms imposed on Deutschland, and angry at the communists for destroying what remained with their antics.(2)

He pushed the anger down and kept walking towards the Waldorf Astoria. It was time to focus on writing his autobiography.

1920s US.jpg

New York City as Manfred would have seen it as he walked towards the Waldorf Astoria. The Roaring Twenties was a time of prosperity and greatness for America.

Deutsche Republik
    25/04/1919

Oberleutnant Oskar Reinhart* was having a bad day. The communists were holding their positions and he had to wait for the artillery and flammenwerfers to move up. Those bastards were tough. He had to give them that. They were suffering from a variety of shortages but somehow they hadn't broken and fled. But he was sure that the der Stahlhelm would break through given enough time.(3) They would succeed just like how he and the other naval officers had suppressed the Kiel mutiny when he was just a Fähnrich zur See.(4) Communism had no place in Deutschland and Oskar intended to keep it that way.(5)

Stahlhelm troops besieging Soviet Bavaria.jpg

Stahlhelm troops waiting to be deployed for combat against Soviet Bavaria. The fledgling Soviet was crushed after a brutal week long battle, with all captured communists and socialists being executed for treason. Many Stahlhelm members would join the SA as the Nazi Party gained power and popularity throughout Germany. Later, these same men would be assigned to the SS together with the rest of the SA after the SA leadership was executed and the SA itself dismantled following the Night of Long Knives.

******************************************************************************

The Versailles treaty inflicted hardships and suffering on an already broken nation devastated by blockade and war. The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1919 only made things worse. Germany suffered terribly during this time, which only added to general hatred against the Entente, the Versailles treaty, and communism. Antisemitism grew exponentially during this time, along with general desire for revenge. Communism was highly unpopular during this time, as they were seen as agitators destroying an already ruined country with their antics about the proletariat and workers councils. Nonetheless, it still had many supporters, who saw it as the path to the future.(6)

German rearmament continued in total secrecy. Many German owned factories in China were underground weapons manufacturing workshops that produced arms for various Chinese warlords while experimenting with new production techniques. The German military would eventually operate secret military training schools in the Soviet Union (after the Treaty of Rapallo) such as Panzerschule Kama and Kampffliegerschule Lipezk, but the most important contributor to German rearmament was actually located in the United States. It was a recreational flying and gliding organization founded in Denver by Manfred von Richthofen which simultaneously operated as a front for secret military pilot training. He had founded the organization in 1921 following the overwhelming success of his autobiography "My Name is Manfred", an highly truthful account of his life and experiences as a ace pilot in WW1. The book quickly became a bestseller in the US, UK, and Germany following its initial publication in 1920. Profits from the book quickly made von Richthofen a millionaire (in USD) and a large portion of the book's profits went towards the purchase of a large tract of land outside of Denver, Colorado.(7) This property soon became the Eagle Flying School, which soon attracted flying enthusiasts from all walks of life. Von Richthofen had chose Denver because of it's symbolic connection to the von Richthofen family, as his uncle Walter had lived there for many years and was a instrumental part of Denver's development. As well, Denver was located at a very high altitude, which boosted the altitude acclimatization of students.

The secret branch of the Eagle Flying School trained about 100 pilots a year, and many of their numbers become the Luftwaffe's top aces in the coming war. They were trained in instrument flying, navigation, and other vital aspects of aviation by special instructors, all of which were former German WW1 pilots.(8) Many of the pilots who trained here in the 1920s became training staff when the Luftwaffe was formed, while those trained in the 1930s became squadron or flight leaders, as aerial tactics were also a part of their training program. This secret program operated until 1935, when the institution was closed by Bolko von Richthofen, who ran it after his older brother Manfred returned to Germany with his family in 1930.(9) No one knew about the secret training program except for the instructors, trainees, and a small cadre of administrative personnel, all of whom were sworn to secrecy. The results of this training program were both game-changing and utterly shocking, as the Luftwaffe became the world's best equipped, funded, and trained air force when it underwent its baptism of fire in the Spanish Civil War.

Notes:
    All characters marked with a (*) are fictional. But ITTL they will have a major role in defining the future. ;)
    1. Spanish flu pandemic was just like OTL. Same amount of people died.
    2. Manfred is mad, really mad. OTL the guy was close to a mental breakdown when he was killed in 1918. ITTL this turned to anger and hatred against the people and groups he thought were destroying Germany.
    3. Stahlhelm was a paramilitary organization that operated in the Weimar Republic. Most of its members joined the SA after Hitler and the Nazis grew in power. Those that did would join the SS after the SA was completely dismantled following the Night of Long Knives.
    4. Fähnrich zur See is German for officer cadet; its a naval rank.
    5. Communism is going to become real unpopular very soon in Germany.
    6. People will still support it. And those people are going to suffer for their choice after the Nazis gain power.
    7. He gave the draft to Charles Scribner's Sons. The rest is history.
    8. Many instructors were former members of Jagdgeschwader 1 and other German WW1 fighter squadrons.
    9. There were 3 von Richthofen brothers. Not much is known about Bolko, so I gave him some stuff to do.

Until next time y'all!
    -Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Chapter 5: The Shape of Things to Come
  • Denver, Colorado
    05/12/1921

When Manfred opened his eyes he did not know where he was. He was wearing a strange military uniform that he did not recognize and held a field marshal's baton in his left hand. There was a loud buzzing sound that he instantly distinguished as the sound of aircraft engines. They shot overhead with a thunderous roar, as more and more of them filled the sky with their distinctive shapes. Manfred looked around. There were men in Stahlhelms, wearing strange black uniforms that he could not identify and they marched in complete unison before him. And then he heard the booming voice beside him, which made him turn around. But there was no one there, yet the voice continued to speak. It spoke about rearmament, a new Reich, and revenge against the traitors that had betrayed them in the Great War. When it finished, everyone in the parade square saluted the voice by raising their right arm from the neck into the air with a straightened hand. Manfred saluted simultaneously, albeit in the traditional fashion. Then, he heard something behind him and turned around. All he could see were heaps of corpses and dying people. They all stretched their emaciated, rotting hands towards him in unison, trying to reach him. The stench of death filled the air.

Manfred woke with a start. He looked around fearfully. There was no soldiers or corpses anywhere and he was still in the confines of his bedroom. All he could hear was the gentle breathing of his young, pregnant wife as she slept peacefully. Manfred put his arm around her and began to fall asleep again. Everything was fine. Just fine.

Nuremberg rally 1936.jpg

The 1936 Nuremberg Rally is pretty much what Manfred saw in his nightmare.

******************************************************************************

The wedding between Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen and Caroline Sieglinde Hoffman occurred on March 20th, 1921. Caroline was a secretary in the Eagle Flying School when she first meet Manfred; he was 28 and she was 19. She was a part of the secret training program, a 2nd generation immigrant whose parents were from Hamburg, Germany. She and all the other administrative staff were the children of German immigrants or immigrants themselves and all were sworn to secrecy about the fighter pilot training program. Her beauty and efficiency quickly caught Manfred's eye, and she was soon promoted to executive secretary. He proposed to her on January 7th, 1921 and they were married a few months later.

Caroline was an accomplished woman who was a talented pianist, skilled in archery and fluent in 4 different languages; German, English, French and Spanish.(2) She was nothing like the society ladies of the time, as she would often joining Manfred in hunting, and worked closely with her husband in running the flying school. She did not even let her pregnancy get in the way of her duties at work and she would impart her strength and determination to her children, who would all to live up to their father's image and reputation. The couple's first child, a son, was born on December 27th 1921.(1) He was named Walter Frederick von Richthofen, Walter after Manfred's American uncle and Frederick* after his chief mechanic in WW1.(3) The von Richthofens lived a happy, peaceful life in Denver as Manfred's flying school grew all the more popular, while chaos wrapped it's dark fingers around the globe.

Notes:
    1. Walter won't be their only child for long. More will follow...
    2. Caroline and Manfred will return to German with their children in 1930. But that's a story of its own. ;)
    3. See my previous chapters for more info on these 2 men. Walter is historical but Frederick is my own creation.

Sorry for the short chapter everyone! Life is getting in the way of writing but I felt obliged to drop something off today. Hope you enjoy it!
    As usual, questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome!
    -Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Short Announcement
  • Just a short announcement, y'all.

I've run out of pre-written chapters. Literally.
    I never could have imagined in a million years that this TL would receive so much support and encouragement.
    Thank you to all my kind readers for showing me your support! This kind of stuff keeps my morale up and my keyboard clacking. ;)
    A new chapter and 3 year overview (1917-1920) will be released on February 2nd.
    In the meantime, I will go thru my previous chapters and edit for spelling and grammar mistakes, along with any general errors.

Until next time everyone!
    -Black Dragon

Chapter 6: Deutsche Arbeiterpartei Mitglied No. 577
  • Sorry about the delay everyone. Life decided to throw some more stuff my way. Hope you enjoy this new chapter.
    Here we have a slight time jump back to 1920, now that the Red Baron and his new life in Denver, Colorado has been addressed.

Munich
    13/12/1920

Adolf Hitler did not know what to expect at his first party meeting. He had just joined the Deutsche Arbeiterpartei a few weeks ago after being previously employed by them as an illustrator for their campaign posters. Their themes of anti-communism and anti-semitism appealed to him and since he was already working for them, he saw no reason why not to join the party itself. He thought about his childhood and chuckled at how far he had come, the Austrian boy from Linz was now an artist of some renown in Munich.

And it was all thanks to Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron. His commission had opened up a world of opportunities for Hitler, and for that he would be eternally grateful. Shortly after the commissioned painting, he was permanently posted to regimental headquarters to illustrate maps using field sketches, ushering him into a room full of potential clients. His promotion to Unteroffizier and Feldwebel came short afterwards, along with a commissioned oil painting by an Oberst.(1) That commission had earned him the acclaim of the Oberst and lead to a string of well paying commissions.(2)

And then came the defeat. He was inside his regiment's headquarters when the Armistice was announced. Talks and rumors of such a thing had been making the rounds for a few week by that point, though Hitler dismissed them as defeatist rumors and enemy propaganda. Even now he could recall the shock that he had felt as his mind processed the words. The silence that greeted the news was deafening, he remembered, and no one spoke a single word for several minutes. It was a terrible moment, one that would haunt him forever; a terrible specter of failure and defeat. (3)

In the weeks after the Armistice, he had asked for a discharge from the Deutsches Heer which was prompted granted. When he stepped out of the headquarters building, Hitler had felt like a new man, though he was still dressed in the uniform of a Feldwebel. After his honorable discharge from the Deutsches Heer, Hitler had decided to return to Munich and continue painting, yet circumstances conspired against him. The Volksstaat Bayern had taken over Munich and the city was in a state of chaos, so Hitler decided to stay in the countryside until the chaos subsided and Munich was stable once more. This lead to a 6 month period of wandering as a bohemian artist, in which the only items in his possession were the military uniform on his back, another military uniform in his bag, his paints, brushes, canvas and a small easel, all packed up in his old military backpack and a large pouch slung over his shoulder. He also had a loaded Mauser C96 hidden in his greatcoat, a few dozen rounds of 7.63x25mm for the pistol, and 37 in his pocket, payment for the last commissioned watercolor he had done while still part of the 6. Bayerische Reserve-Division. (4)

Hitler smiled when as he remembered those peaceful days spent painting watercolors and oils in the woods and fields, sleeping on hay bales and in farmer's barns (with the permission of the farmer of course), and traveling to different cities to sell his works. He'd probably traveled the whole of Bavaria at least once, though Hitler, or maybe twice. It was a pity that those days couldn't last forever, for he decided to return to Munich after the communists had been defeated in May 1919. Back in the city, he continued to paint, though this time his subjects were cityscapes and architectural pieces. His pieces sold well enough that he was to rent a single room flat and still have money leftover for dinner at a fine restaurant once a week. Hitler could almost smell the gerösteter jungtaube (roasted squab) and I (Bavarian bratwurst) that he would order tonight. But the troubles that Munich had underwent had made him realize the power that the Jews, socialists, and republicans had gained Deutschland's expense. It was on November 11th, 1920 that he decided he would see what the Deutsche Arbeiterpartei was all about, for it preached a message similar to his beliefs. And maybe in time, he could use the DAP to purge Deutschland of it's internal parasites, the Jews, socialists, and republicans.(5)

The room gradually fell silent as Herr Drexler ascended the podium. Fifty nine people looked up at Drexler as he began his speech, hopeful that he would usher them into a new era of prosperity and unity. One man however, was already thinking of how he could use this political party to ascend to the highest power in Germany. That man was Adolf Hitler.

*************************************************************************************************************

The Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (German Worker's Party) was founded in 1919 by Anton Drexler, though it would remain unknown to most until a man known as Adolf Hitler joined the party in December 1920. Hitler's political views and oratory skills quickly won over the party and he soon became their primary orator after one of his speeches attracted more than 3000 people, the biggest meeting yet of this small party. At the advice of Rudolf Jung (one of the founding members of the DAP, later an important Nazi theorist), Hitler and the other executive members renamed the party the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (National Socialist German Worker's Party) in order to attract more publicity and appeal to large segments of the German populace.

However, it was precisely this publicity and the disagreements that followed which caused Anton Drexler and some original founders to resign in early January 1921, leaving Hitler as the sole leader of the party. The party's membership skyrocketed during this period, as Hitler's speeches attracted thousands of people, many of whom were disgruntled veterans who believed that the Deutsches Heer was not defeated in the field, but backstabbed by the socialists, republicans, and Jews. The party's paramilitary wing, the Sturmabteilung (SA), was formed on January 19th, 1921. A group of communists attempted to disrupt an NSDAP meeting in a beer hall by yelling obscenities and communist slogans, but Hitler had ignored them and continued on with his speech, albeit in a louder voice. It was then that the communists turned to physical means, as they pushed through the crowd of listeners in an attempt to reach the podium where Hitler stood, though they would swiftly regret their actions only moments later.

Right before the communists reached the stage, a group of 24 NSDAP men lead by Emil Maurice (one of Hitler's close friend, later the 1st Oberster SA-Führer) blocked their path and ordered them to leave. When the communists refused to obey, the Maurice and his men slipped on brass knuckles and soundly beat the communists before throwing them out of the beer hall. It was here that the Sturmabteilung was born, and a careful made organizational system that included ranks, insignia, and medals would soon follow in 1922, when Hans Ulrich Klintzsch was appointed Oberster SA-Führer after Maurice became a member of the SS and Hitler's chauffeur. The formation of the SA was quickly followed by the formation of the Schutzstaffel (SS) during the Schlesische Expedition (Silesian Expedition), though no one would predict that the SS would one day supersede the SA. (6)

In March 1921, membership of the NSDAP numbered only 5,539 individuals, and it was considered by most people to be fringe political party unworthy of any attention, if they had heard of it at all. Few at the time could imagine that the NSDAP would be the only permitted political party in Germany in less than 15 years. Even fewer could have imagined that the NSDAP's power would stretch from the Atlantic to beyond the Urals in decades after.

Early era 1920s.png

Hitler with members of the NSDAP reviewing a SA unit. Circa mid 1921, post Schlesische Expedition.

Hitler_1921.jpg

Feldwebel Adolf Hitler right after his honorable discharge from the 6. Bayerische Reserve-Division of the Deutsches Heer.

Notes:
    1. Unteroffizier is German for Corporal.
    2. Oberst is German for Colonel.
    3. Hitler got shook. The rest is history. :p
    4. ITTL Hitler feels that he has more potential as an artist (the painting for von Richthofen having restored his confidence) and that's the path he pursues after his discharge.
    5. ITTL Hitler is not a vegetarian because I believe that his OTL vegetarianism was just a sham.
    6. And that is how the SA started. More on the SS when I update Chapter 7.

I promised, I now deliver. Hitler stays Hitler. And Nazis stay Nazis.
    Next chapter introduces some familiar faces and things begin to diverge drastically.

-Black Dragon

Chapter 6 has been updated to the new standard. Update of Chapter 7 and the release of the 11th installment will occur shortly.

Last edited:
    Treaty of Versailles
  • Here are the main points of the Treaty of Versailles in this TL, which is slightly different from OTL's treaty. These differences will have significant ramifications down the (bloodstained) road.

1. Military Restrictions
    • The Reichwehr is limited to 100,000 men and 4000 officers in a maximum of seven infantry and three cavalry divisions.
    • Military schools for officer training are limited to three, one school per arm.
    • Conscription is to be abolished and paramilitary forces are forbidden.
    • Private soldiers and non-commissioned officers are to be retained for at least twelve years and officers for a minimum of 25 years.
    • Former military officers are forbidden from attend military exercises.
    • The Rhineland is to be completely demilitarized, and military structures on Heligoland and Düne are to be destroyed. (1)
    • Germany is forbidden from the arms trade and the manufacture or stockpile of chemical weapons, armoured cars, tanks and military aircraft is completely forbidden.
    • The Reichsmarine is allowed six pre-dreadnought battleships and was limited to a maximum of six light cruisers under 6,100 tons, twelve destroyers under 810 tons, and twelve torpedo boats under 200 tons.
    • Submarines are completely forbidden.
    • The manufacture or import of aircraft or related material is forbidden for 1 year following the signing of the treaty.
    2. Territorial Changes
    • Germany is to be stripped of all her colonies. (2)
    • The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk is rendered null and void.
    • Moresnet and Eupen-Malmedy are ceded to Belgium
    • The Saar region is ceded to France for 15 years following the signing of the treaty, and a plebiscite will be held to decide its fate.
    • The fate Schleswig-Holstein is to be resolved by a plebiscite held in 1920. (3)
    • Germany is to recognize the independence of Czechoslovakia and cede to them parts of the province of Upper Silesia.
    • Germany is to recognize the independence of Poland and renounce all all rights and title over the territory.
    • The province of Posen, Pomerelia, and Soldau are ceded to Poland. (4)
    • Germany is to recognize the independence of the Free City of Danzig.
    • A plebiscite is to be held in 1920 to determine the fate of East Prussia. (5)
    3. Monetary Reparations
    • Germany will pay an equivalent of ℳ 20 billion gold marks (US$5 billion) in gold, commodities, ships, securities, or other forms.
    Notes:
    1. Rhineland and Ruhr were occupied at the end of WW1 by the French and Belgians in response to the High Seas Fleet scuttling itself off Kiel. The scuttling was due to fears by senior German naval officers who feared a communist insurrection aboard the warships and knew they could no longer control their men after the Kiel mutiny.
    2. The treatment of Germany's colonies are pretty much the same as OTL, except for one important change. German concession in the Chinese cities of Tianjin and Hankou (Wuhan) are handed to China. The German concession around Qingdao (Tsingtao) is transferred to China. German felt that Japan had only joined the war to seize their Asian colonies and to spite them, they transferred what they could over to China, who they viewed more favorably over Japan. They knew China was rising and it was a good time to improve relations.
    3. A south half of Schleswig-Holstein voted to stay German, while the northern half went to Denmark.
    4. The Polish territories were a source of anger for many of the Germans who lived there. They would later form the Selbstschutz, a Nazi funded and controlled paramilitary group that assisted the Invasion of Poland.
    5. East Prussia stayed completely German.

Chapter 7 is right around the corner.
    See y'all then!
    -Black Dragon

Chapter 7: The Silesian Question
  • Upper Silesia
    17/02/1921
    General Jules Gratier stepped out of his staff car and walked across the street towards the site of his headquarters with his aide-de-camp. It had been a difficult time. Polish insurgents had launched two uprisings in Silesia against the German authorities and tensions were at an all time high. Worse than that was the fact that the Inter-Allied Commission could not even reach a consensus about how to resolve the issue. The British and Italians were strongly in favor of German retaining sovereignty over both Upper and Lower Silesia, as it was an important industrial region with large deposits of economically significant raw materials such as zinc, iron, and coal. They claimed that Germany needed Silesia so they could continue to pay off war reparations. General Gratier and the French delegation believed that Silesia should be divided to weaken Germany. Just like their occupation of the Rhineland and Ruhr Valley, though he could see exactly where that was getting France. Sabotage, strikes, and even armed resistance was an almost daily problem over there. Occupation costs and French casualties were rising, yet economic productivity was zero. Their occupation of the Rhineland and Ruhr Valley had only united the Germans, and the French support of Germany communists only made it worse. General Gratier sighed deeply as he kept walking.

"General Gratier, do you think that our occupation of the Rhineland and the Ruhr Valley is perhaps too harsh?"
    "I agree Colonel Giraud*, but what can we do? We have already gone too far, beyond the point of no return. Our only viable option is to continue the occupation and hope the workers will see sense and return to their jobs."
    "But General is it possible at all to make the occupation less harsh?"

A large truck barrelled down the lane towards the two officers, unnoticed as they continued their conversation. It's brakes had failed, though the truck driver only noticed it after lunch and he decided that it wouldn't be such a big problem. He was regretting this decision as his truck continued to drive at 40 km/h, accelerating as the lane was located on a downhill slope. The driver grabbed the horn and honked it loudly.
    "Clear the way, clear the way!" he yelled in Polish, as he waved his left arm frantically. The motion of his arm waving only made things worse, as it moved his whole body and made his right hand jerk the steering wheel a little bit towards the left.
    The two officers dove out of the way, but it was too late for General Gratier, whose legs were crushed by the truck as he dove left.
    His aide flagged down a passing car and rushed his commander to the local hospital as fast as possible, but it was all in vain. General Gratier was dead.(1)

Upper Silesia
    04/03/1921

Jarosław Jablonowski* was nervous.(2) He was executing the first task given to him by the Polska Organizacja Wojskowa (Polish Military Organization) after he had joined. It was to carry a load of dynamite and detonators to a secret safehouse.(3) It was an easy enough task but the streets were crawling with police officers. Jarosław felt cold sweat on the back of his neck as he walked towards the safehouse. When he got close enough, a terrible sight met his eyes. There were police everywhere, and they were closing off streets near the safehouse. Someone must have informed on them. Jarosław turned around and started walking away from the crime scene as fast as he could. But it was too late.

Two burly police officers block his path up ahead.
    "Why were you walking over there, kid? This place is a crime scene. Do you know anything about it?"
    "I..I...I was just going to my friend's apartment over there. I didn't know t...that it was a crime scene. "
    "Oh, is that so? What is your friend's name?"
    "Uhhhh... Jan Lipowski."
    The two police officers exchanged a serious look.
    "You'll have to come to the police station with us kid, looks like your friend is involved in some interesting business."
    "I...I...I can't. I have to get home for dinner." Jarosław reached into his left coat pocket with his left hand and felt the cold steel of his .25 ACP Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket.
    "It'll be quick, not more than half an hour." promised the officer on the right.
    "I...I...I can't. Dinner is at 1700 and mother will be worried if I don't come home on time."
    The police officer on the left started getting suspicious of the teenage boy. Why go to your friend's place when you have to get back for dinner at 1700? Suddenly, he noticed the kid's hand in his pocket.
    "Can you please take your right hand out of your pocket?"
    In that split second, Jarosław thought the officers had figured out his mission. He decided to shoot the officer on the left and make a run for it, as there was an alley 300 meters away. He was sure he would make it. Pulling out his pistol, he shot the officer on the left, pushed the other officer aside and ran as fast as he could.
    The officer on the right took out his sidearm, a Mauser C96, and shot at the fleeing suspect. Jarosław was hit in the head by the first round and was dead before he bit the dust.
    Although he would never know this, Jarosław had forever changed the fate of Silesia.

******************************************************************************************************

The death of General Jules Gratier on February 17th, 1921 resulted in overall command of the Inter-Allied Commission being passed to the General Filippo Salvioni. This change proved highly beneficial for the German cause, as General Salvioni was strongly in favor of the Germans retaining sovereignty over Silesia so they could continue their treaty payments. This caused the Polish Military Organization to plan their most ambitious operation yet, despite the massive setback of their most recent failure. Codenamed Operation Moskwa, it called for a sabotage campaign against all roads and railways leading into Upper Silesia, which would be followed by a massive conventional assault by Polish-Silesian insurgents.

The death of Jarosław Jablonowski and the revelation of his knapsack contents lead to a massive Freikorps buildup all across Silesia. It was unopposed by the Inter-Allied Commission, as General Salvioni merely saw the action as Germans trying to defend their homeland. Seeing this drastic change of fortune, the Polish Military Organization delayed Operation Moskwa, hoping that most of the Freikorps would grow discouraged by the inactivity and leave. This proved to be the correct decision, as many did pack up and leave after weeks of boredom. What the Poles never expected was, though most Freikorps had left, a group of Germans and an Austrian would soon march into Silesia and forever change the face of history.

Polish Armoured Car in Silesia 1920.jpg

Polish armored car in Silesia, 1 of 2 produced in 1920. It was later destroyed during Operation Moskwa.

Polish Silesian insurgents 1921.PNG

Polish Silesian insurgents posing for a photo before Operation Moskwa. All personnel identified in the photo were killed during the operation.

Notes:
    1. OTL General Gratier prevent British and Italian units from assisting the Freikorp because he was C in C of the Inter-Allied Commission.
    2. In case anyone doesn't know this, this symbol (*) means the individual is fictional and of my own creation.
    3. They gave the job to a noob/greenie because he had just joined and the authorities had yet to put him on the list of suspects. Creates less suspicion, though it didn't quite work as planned.

With kind assistance of AH user NOMISYRRUC, the Black Dragons were able to defeat the evil empire of Writer's Block at the Battle of Silesia ending the 10 day siege of the Dragoncave.
    The next chapter will be posted in the near future!

-Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Chapter 8: Ein Volk, Ein Traum, Ein Reich
  • A large beer hall in Munich
    08/03/1921

Karl Schmitt* was late for the speech and he was not happy about it. But luck was with him and he hadn't missed the good parts. Joining the throngs of people, he looked up towards the podium and it's speaker. As he inched closer, the speaker's words got clearer.

"Deutschland is being threatened by unprovoked Polish attacks on our eastern border! The greedy Poles are threatening to seize Silesia, one of our industrial and economic heartlands, and they stand unopposed by our decadent and corrupt government! We have already lost the Provinz Posen to the Poles because of their incompetence and hesitation! But we, the Deutschen Volke will never let any nation take another centimeter of our beloved Deutschland. We must unite and hold Silesia, from now until the end! Together we are ein Volk! Together we have ein Traum! Together we are ein Reich! Zusammen sind wir stark! (1)

The crowd roared in approval and their cheers echoed across the beer hall. After a few moments of wild cheering, the speaker raised his right arm slightly, and the crowd fell silent again, intent on hearing what else their leader had to say.

"Now I hereby announce the establishment of Sturmbrigade Schlesien (2), our Silesian expeditionary force! Anyone who is able and willing is encouraged to join! We leave for Schlesien in a week from now."

The crowd cheered and howled, louder than ever. Karl cheered as well, while he struggled to make his way to the main table where volunteers for the Silesian Expedition were being signed on. After the Kaiserriech's shameful surrender Karl had felt lost, his Sturmtruppen unit was disbanded and he was without work or a home. But Hitler's expedition to Silesia changed everything. It lit the smoldering embers of revenge within and filled him with a fierce pride. Deutschland über alles, he thought, Deutschland über alles. (3)

****************************************************************************************************

On March 8th, 1921, Adolf Hitler gave a speech at a NSDAP rally in Munich which would later be known as the Silesian rally. There he formed Sturmbrigade Schlesien, an expedition force to protect Silesia. It was primarily composed of SA personnel along with Hitler's personal SS guards, though other Freikorps such as the Freikorps Oberland and various civilian volunteers joined the expedition as well.
    When the unit assembled on March 15th, 1921, the NSDAP leaders counted 3217 personnel. All participants were blooded veterans of the Great War, and they carried ample weaponry, ammunition, and supplies for the coming fight. Additionally, their five transport trains carried three 7.7cm FK 16 field guns (4), courtesy of Krupp, who had hidden the guns after the war and sold them at bargain prices to the NSDAP for the expedition. The expedition's supplies were funded by wealthy Germans in Silesia, who saw the Sturmbrigade as protectors against Polish invaders and saboteurs.

After the expedition departed, the Polish Military Organization launched Akcja Mosty (Operation Bridges), a coordinated sabotage operation that targeted the rail bridges connecting Silesia and Germany. Overall, the operation was a failure with only a single bridge successfully destroyed. This was due to increased security at important infrastructure sites following the Jablonowski incident. (5)
    When news of the attempted sabotage reached Sturmbrigade Schlesien, it prompted a emergency meeting between the expedition leaders who unanimously decided to follow Hitler's proposal that another train bearing construction material for railroad tracks depart immediately, in case of further sabotage along the track. This decision would have a great bearing on the coming battle between the NSDAP lead Sturmbrigade Schlesien and the Polish-Silesian forces.
    Sturmbrigade Schlesian 1921.jpg

Members of Sturmbrigade Schlesien posing with their weapons after arriving at their destination.

Notes:
    1. Zusammen sind wir stark is German for "Together we are strong"
    2. Sturmbrigade Schlesien is German for "Assault Brigade Silesia"
    3. Deutschland über alles is German for "Germany above all"
    4. The presence of German artillery will prove significant in the coming battle
    5. See Chapter 7 for more info

Next update will be posted tomorrow
    I'll add a picture for this chapter tomorrow as well. I can't seem to find the right one as of now.

-Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Chapter 9: Battleground Silesia
  • Gleiwitz, Germany
    23/03/1921

Karl Schmitt was smoke a cigarette as he waited for the expedition leaders and the Inter-Allied Commission to finish their discussion when his commanding officer, Leutnant Ludwig Klostermann walked over.
    "Schmitt, tell our leaders that a local German has something important to tell them. And make sure you tell them in person."
    "Jawohl Leutnant."
    Karl walked into the hotel and asked the front desk for directions to the conference room.
    "Third room to the right on the 2nd floor."
    "Danke Fräulein."

When Karl arrived at the door of the room, he found it guarded by two SS troopers and two Freikorps Oberland troopers.
    "I come with a message for our leaders."
    "Whatever you have to say, you can tell me." replied the SS trooper on the right.
    "I will only discuss this with our leaders. Those are my orders."
    "Fine. I will tell Herr Hitler this."
    As Karl waited outside, he could hear the discussion inside and what he heard interested him.

"So it is agreed then, German forces will not fire upon any Polish forces unless fired upon."
    "Yes. However, if the Poles do launch an offensive, we will resist with any means possible."
    "Alright. Now gentlemen, I believe this meeting is at an end."

The door opened and both the expedition leaders and the Inter-Allied Commission walked outside.
    Karl Schmitt saluted as Hitler walked over.
    "You said that there was something important you had to tell me, Gefreiter?"
    "Jawohl, a local German has some important information that he will only share with you and the other leaders."
    "Alright, show me where he is. This information may prove useful in the coming fight."

Half an hour later, outside the hotel

Adolf Hitler was enraged. The filthy Poles had already attacked and seized the Annaberg Hill, a vital strategical position that overlooked much of the Plains below. (1) To make matters worse, the local had told him that he saw the Poles bringing up artillery and fortifying the hill. They would have to surround the damn hill and wait until the Poles fired upon them before they could return fire. And then they would annihilate them.

Little did he know that a member Polish Military Organization had seen him and the other expedition leaders communicating with the Inter-Allied Commission, though they did not know the contents of their conversation. (2) Their actions would seal the fate of Silesia.

Annaberg Hill, Silesia
    27/03/1921

"Rally on me, men!"
    Karl Schmitt could see the imposing figure of Peter von Heydebreck through the smoke and chaos. Quickly, the German troopers reorganized themselves and charged up the hill.

Spotting a Silesian insurgent trying to throw a grenade, Karl paused to raised his Gewehr 98, aimed, and fired at the rebel.
    The Silesian Pole fell to the ground face first, but the grenade was jerked out of his hand by the impact of the shot.
    It bounced once on the ground and rolled right into a Polish trench.
    To Karl, the results were spectacular.

Pulling the bolt up and back, Karl chambered another round. He aimed at another Pole and fired. But it just wasn't enough. There were just too many Poles holding the line and no sign of that they were faltering.
    Just then, Karl felt something. A minor tremor in the ground that grew stronger by the moment.
    He turned around and looked behind him.

A cloud of dust charged towards the Polish positions, flashing sabers and submachine guns. Their cavalry had arrived.
    MP 18s blazing and sabers slashing, the 500 strong German squadron charged the Polish positions.
    That's when the Poles decided that they had had enough. The sight of German cavalry caused mass panic to infect the Polish ranks, most of whom were just civilians, unlike the German troops who were veterans of 4 years of brutal war. (3) They broke rank and ran, many dropping their weapons in an effort to escape. Many did not; they were cut down by sabers, or gunned down with MP 18s and Mauser C96s.
    Karl Schmitt smile at the sight, fixed his bayonet, and followed his comrades in charging up the hill.
    Deutschland was back.

*****************************************************************************************************

The Battle of Silesia officially began on the 26th of March 1921, when a group of Polish-Silesian insurgents ambushed a German patrol that was reconnoitering Annaberg Hill. The surviving German scouts reported a large Polish presence on Annaberg Hill and that they had been fired upon first when the were reconnoitering the hill. In accordance with an agreement made with the Inter-Allied Commission by Adolf Hitler and the other leaders of the Silesian expedition, German troops could not shot until fired upon. This agreement was made to prevent the continuation of violence in the Silesian region, as the Polish Government in Warsaw had stated that they would take no action until the Inter-Allied Commission had come to a decision. (4)

However, the Polish Military Organization, a paramilitary group lead by Wojciech Korfanty, launched an unsanctioned attack on the Silesian Expedition. This was due the report of a single informant working at a hotel in Gleiwitz, who saw the meeting between the expedition leaders and the Inter-Allied Commission. They reported back to the Organization, who believed that the Allies had decided to hand over the whole plebiscite region to the Germans.

The offensive, codenamed Operation Moskwa was going to be launched on the 30th of March, 1921, but Hitler and the other leaders had decided to attack as early as possible. This was due to fears that the Poles were being constantly reinforced and that soon their positions would be so fortified and reinforced that an offensive would become impossible. So on the 27th of March, 1921, the Germans launched a full attack at 0600 on Annaberg Hill, which overlooked the entire Oder Valley and was deemed to be of high strategic importance.

Their attack caught the Polish defenders off guard and initial progress was promising. However, the weight of Polish reinforcements prevent further gains and the German attackers were bogged down by the Polish artillery and defensive positions. The three 77mm cannons that Krupp had donated to the expeditionary troops proved their worth, as they prevent the weight of Polish numbers from overwhelming the Germans. But it was only at 0937 that a surprise German cavalry charge lead by Hyacinth Graf Strachwitz von Groß-Zauche und Camminetz finally broke the Polish resistance and drove them off the hill. (5)

The Graf was reportedly the first German up the hill and his 500 cavalry managed to capture 6 Polish field guns, 8 mortars, and numerous machine guns and rifles, not to mention a plentiful supply of ammo. This unexpected victory changed the situation completely and local Germans flocked to the expedition and raised more Selbschutz units that raised the German strength to over 15,000 men, most of whom were equipped with captured Polish weaponry.

The German offensive swept across Silesia, driving Polish and Silesian insurgents forces towards the border. A Polish counterattack with 2 armored cars was defeated by German artillery. (6) In order to prevent the victorious Germans from continuing their offensive in Poland, the Inter-Allied Commission ordered the Germans to halt. The resulting negotiations resulted in the Polish government completely disowning the actions of the Polish Military Organization, and the Inter-Allied Commission decided that the entire plebiscite region would remain German.

The expedition was a resounding victory for the NSDAP, who were credited all across Germany as the "Saviors of Silesia" and as a result their membership numbers soared, along with that of the SA. Freikorps Oberland willingly joined into the NSDAP, and many of its members would gain prominence after the Nazi's rise to power. Adolf Hitler had become especially popular in Silesia, as he was the instigator of the expedition and it's primary organizer. Rallies where he spoke crowded with admirers and supporters from a wide range of backgrounds and classes. But Hitler himself had learned some key lessons from the expedition and they would have a great bearing on his decisions.

German soldier advancing in Silesia 1921.jpg

A German expeditionary trooper (Karl Schmitt?) advances in the "Drive to the Border" during the 3rd Silesian Uprising.

German troops pulling a wounded comrade to safety under MG fire Silesia 1921.jpg

German troops pull a wounded comrade to safety while under Polish MG fire during the Battle of the Annaberg.

Silesian Selbschutz taking a break during the fighting 1921.jpg

A Silesian German Selbschutz volunteer takes a beer break during the fighting.

Notes:
    1. This happened OTL. The Poles took the hill and the Germans suffered hell trying to take it with no artillery. But ITTL they have three 77mms.
    2. OTL The Polish Military Organization (PMO) only launched the 3rd uprising because there were rumors that the Inter-Allied Commission would hand the whole place over to the Germans.
    3. This is also a fact. The PMO forces and their Silesian allies mostly composed of civilians, while the German Freikorps were veteran soldiers. Guess the outcome.
    4. Another fact. The Polish Government did not sanction the uprising. Because the uprising failed, the Poles had to disown the PMO, which will have consequences down the road.
    5. Der Panzergraf will have a very interesting career ITTL. Watch the man closely.
    6. Remember the Polish armored car from Chapter 7? It got destroyed, as promised.

This is the updated copy.
    Minor mistakes have been fixed, some important info has been added.
    Pictures and notes have been added as well.
    Enjoy!

-Black Dragon

Last edited:
    Chapter 10: Take back the Reich
  • Notice: This chapter contains some severe racism against black people by Hitler. Just a warning ahead of time.

A hotel conference room, Munich, Bavaria
    09/04/1921

A lively conversation was going on in the conference room when Adolf Hitler strode in at 2100. A newspaper was being passed around the long table when Hitler walked up to the head of the table. It was the weekly issue of the Völkischer Beobachter, the official paper of the Nazi Party.
    The front page showed a picture of Hitler in Landsknecht armor, wielding a Doppelhänder, defending a pretty blonde maiden, the symbol of Germania, from an evil-looking dragon labelled "Poland".(1)
    The room gradually feel silent once Hitler reached his seat at the head of the table. Simultanously and without any signal from Adolf, everyone in attendance stood up and saluted him by extending the right arm from the neck into the air with a straightened hand while chanting "Heil Hitler!" in unison.(2) Hitler returned the salute and sat down, followed by everyone else.
    Once he was seated, Hitler gazed down the table at those in attendance. On his right, from closest to furthest were: Hans Frank, Dietrich Eckart, Rudolf Höß, Peter von Heydebreck, Josef "Sepp" Dietrich, Gottfried Feder, Hermann Esser, Ernst Hanfstaengl, Rudolf Hess, Rudolf Jung, Robert Ley.(3)
    On his left, from closest to furthest were: Emil Maurice, Eugen Munder, Franz Pfeffer von Salomon, Ernst Röhm, Alfred Rosenberg, Maximilian von Scheubner-Richter, Julius Schreck, Gregor Strasser, Julius Streicher, Otto Strasser, Adolf Wagner.(4)

"Does anyone have anything to add to our operational plans tonight?"
    "Uhhh, mein Führer, it has come to my attention that there have been cases of interracial relationships between French colonial soldiers of Negroid origin and German women in the Rhineland and Ruhr."
    "Fucking Negroes, how dare they defile the German race! And those women too, have they no shame, coupling with a bunch of degenerate Negroes? Robert, make a note of this for my speech on the 12th."(5)
    "Jawohl, mein Führer."

Hitler opened the manila folder in front of him and took a few minutes to scan over each document before closing the folder.

"Sepp, Franz, how goes the preparations for Unternehmen Elbe?"
    "Gut, mein Führer, both Sturmgruppes are ready for action. Josef's Sturmgruppe just finished the last of it's sabotage training yesterday." answered Franz Pfeffer von Salomon.
    "Then we shall launch Unternehmen Elbe tonight! Kameraden, tonight we shall strike from the shadows and give the French no peace, till the Reich is whole once more! Sieg Heil!"
    Hitler stood up and preformed the Nazi salute.
    Everyone else at the table did the same.
    It was time to take back the Reich.

The von Richthofen Castle, Denver, Colorado (6)
    09/04/1921

Manfred walked into the kitchen and looked at the calendar. It was a Saturday. A good time do a short flight on his Fokker D. VII.
    "Manny, there's a letter waiting for you at the post office. It's from your brother Bolko. I was going to tell you yesterday, but you were too tired from work."
    "It's alright Carrie, I'll just pick it up on my way to the airstrip. I'm going for a short flight."
    "Ok dear, just stay safe."
    Manfred doesn't reply, but kisses his wife on the forehead and then heads out to the garage.

Denver Post Officer- An hour later

Manfred walked back to his Nash Touring and opened the carefully sealed letter.

Dear Manfred,

I was able to join the Silesian Expedition and meet it's leadership. They graciously accepted our donation and I was able to meet Adolf Hitler.(7) The man is certainly something, an interesting figure with some bold plans for Germany. He seems to be good leadership material, seeing how devoted his SA and SS troops are to him. He also has some talent
    in military leadership, shown by his foresight in deploying the repair train when none of the other expedition leaders thought it was necessary.

The Battle of Annaberg Hill was a total success. Our Silesian cavalry lead by Hyacinth overran the Poles on the hill and their retreat turned into a rout.(8) I personally captured a Polish artillery piece, which was later used against the Poles in our drive to the border. The campaign ended in success, as you have read in the papers. All of Silesia remains German and will be till the end of time.

Mother and Father miss you greatly. Tell me when you intend to return home.

Sincerely,
    Bolko

Manfred closed the letter. His hopes had been fulfilled.
    He sighed. Mother and Father miss you greatly.
    Maybe it was time for Walter to meet his grandparents.
    Or maybe they could take a trip here with Bolko and Lothar.
    With these deep thoughts in his mind, the Red Baron drove to the airstrip.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

The execution of Operation Elbe was one of the greatest successes of the NSDAP before they came to power. Using tactics and strategies learned from their Polish enemies in Silesia, they embarked on a campaign of sabotage and disruption against French and Belgian military personnel in their occupation zones. The British occupation zone in the Rhineland was not targeted as they had remained neutral during the Silesian Crisis and Hitler felt it would be dishonorable to harm a nation that had helped Germany keep Silesia regardless of the Plebiscite results. His speech in Frankfurt am Main on April 12th, 1921 was attended by hundreds of thousands of people, a far cry from the mere thousands that would attend his speeches in Munich before the Expedition.

One of the key features of his speech was a harsh accusation concerning French colonial soldiers, whom he claimed were raping their way through the Rhineland and Ruhr occupation zones. He also denounced German women who had sexual relations with French colonial soldiers, calling them defilers of the German race.(9) This attracted lots of attention throughout the world, especially in Southern United States, where there were strong racist tendencies. Additionally, he told crowds that the British were not the enemy and that people in the British occupation zone in the Rhineland should cooperate with the occupation force. The British had stationed very few occupation troops in their zone as not to antagonize the German population. This was a success, as the Germans in the British occupation zone did not engage in disruptive activities, aside from non-violent protests in solidarity with those under French and Belgian occupation, which the British allowed as long as they were notified in advance. In the French and Belgian occupation zones, Hitler was seen as a saint, a man who was most vocal about the suffering of the locals when their own national government hardly made a whimper.

The French response to Operation Elbe was both swift and harsh. Thousands of additional French troops were put occupation duties and those already stationed in the Rhineland and Ruhr cracked down on any example of German resistance they could find. The Belgians did the same in their occupation zone. This only further alienated an already infuriated population. On May 3rd, 1921 there were mass strikes all across the French and Belgian occupation zones which quickly turned into riots. The German police refused to aid the French and Belgian occupiers, leaving the French and Belgian occupation forces their impossible task of keeping order. Hundreds of German civilians were killed and thousands were wounded after shots rang out at the French soldiers in the city of Bonn and they returned fire.(10) The enraged crowd managed to trap a small group of around 50 French soldiers, who were separated from the main group in the chaos. They were beaten and stomped to death by the crowd, who dispersed shortly afterwards, their vengeance satisfied. The incident, known as the Massacre on the Rhine, created extensive worldwide condemnation against the French government of Raymond Poincaré. The already tense relationship between the United Kingdom and France following the Silesian crisis was now at an all time low. America withdrew further into isolationism, unwilling to get involved in another European mess. Their occupation forces had already gone home in early 1921 following the election, the result of President Harding's campaign promise to "Bring our boys home quick". The former American zone was taken over by the French after their departure in March 1921.(11)

The aftermath of the Massacre on the Rhine saw mass migration by those who were financially capable from the Rhineland and Ruhr over to Silesia, where industry was prospering and there was actually a shortage of workers.(12) This was due to the mass Polish immigration from Silesia, as anti-Polish sentiment ramped up following the German victory. Migrants from the Rhineland and Ruhr received a warm welcome from the Silesians, as both had experienced violence and social upheaval following the war. Another trait shared by both the Rhineland and Ruhr migrants and the Silesians was strong support for the NSDAP. This would prove decisive 10 years later, as these people would become some of Hitler's most loyal supporters.

Rhineland occupation map.png

Legend to Rhineland and Ruhr occupation map above.
    -Red is the British zone.
    -Yellow is the Belgian zone.
    -Blue is the French Zone.
    -Yellow and Blue stripes is the Ruhr Zone, joint occupation by Belgians and French.
    -Green is French occupied Saarland.

France_Invades_Ruhr.jpg

One of the many papers that reported the "Massacre on the Rhine" of May 3rd, 1921.

Julius Schreck driving Hitler 1933.jpg

Julius Schreck driving Hitler and his SS guards (in plainclothes) to Frankfurt am Main for his speech.

1920 Nash Touring.jpg

Manfred von Richthofen's 1920 Nash Touring. Luxury car because he's a millionaire and he can afford it.

Von Richthofen Castle, Denver.jpg

Von Richthofen Castle in Denver, built by the Red Baron's German-American uncle, Walter von Richthofen.

Notes:
    1. Nazi propaganda making Hitler look like the savior of Germany. Typical stuff.
    2. Nazi salute and etc. got invented earlier than OTL because of the NSDAP's greater popularity after Silesia. Gotta have a way to greet each other, superiors, and the Führer.
    3. Guess who's going to survive ITTL till 1935. :p
    4. Freikorp Oberland voluntarily merged with the NSDAP after Silesia, that's why there are so many more people in Hitler's inner circle than OTL 1921. OTL many of it's members ended up joining the Nazi Party and the SS/SA anyway. Just a matter of sooner or later.
    5. OTL Hitler did quite a bit of screeching in Mein Kampf about the "Rhineland Bastards". Same thing here.
    6. It's a real place in Denver, built by the Red Baron's German-American uncle, Walter von Richthofen. Privately owned though, and supposedly haunted. ITTL the Red Baron buys it and moves in, feels just like home because it was modelled after the von Richthofen's castle in Germany.
    7. The Red Baron has not forgotten about Germany. Around 5% of the money that funded the Silesian Expedition was donated by him, through his brother Bolko who was a participant.
    8. One of the Panzergraf's closest friends when he attended military academy was the Red Baron. Both were Silesian and members of the German nobility. It should be no surprise that Manfred's younger brother is serving with him and his Silesian cavalry squadron.
    9. Those poor German women who have had or are suspected of having sexual relations with French colonial soldiers are heavily ostracized and pretty much pariahs in their communities. I genuinely feel bad for them, but alternate history is still history. It's gotta be accurate. :(
    10. Called my friend who's half-German and asked him to pick a big city in the Rhineland. He pulled Bonn of the top of his head, so there you have it.
    11. Americans go home faster than OTL. Silesian Crisis heating up had an effect on their judgement. Let the Europeans keep fighting their little wars. We did our part now lets bring our boys home. With Wilson gone and US not joining the League of Nations, isolationism is getting pretty heavy.
    12. Ironically the German authorities had Silesian migrant workers return home from the Ruhr and Rhineland to vote in the Plebiscite and keep Silesia German, which they did OTL and ITTL. Now the people from the Ruhr and Rhineland are moving to Silesia because all the Poles fled and they don't want to work for the French or Belgians. Less workers in the Ruhr and Rhineland along with lots of resistance means more French and Belgian troops and thus higher occupation costs than OTL. France doesn't budge because they want to hold on as long as they can, probably bitter about the Germans keeping Silesia. Little do they know that the more they hold on, the worst it gets. :cool:

I am very sorry about the massive delay. Had some coursework for my uni. No uni doesn't mean no coursework. But anyway, I decided to perfect this chapter because the first version of the last one was half-assed and I'd sworn never to do anything half-assed. Either it's gonna be perfect or I'm not doing it at all.
    But yeah, here it is. Hope you enjoy it!

Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome!
    -Black Dragon

Last edited:
    The Numbers Game
  • As promised here are my guestimations of the population changes, casualties, occupation cost, etc.
    Population Changes in Germany (1918-1921)

Migration from Eastern German lands that were incorporated in the Second Polish Republic to Germany:

1918:

1919: 10,598

1920: 32,087

1921: 278,487 (1)

Migration from German Silesia to the Second Polish Republic:

1918:

1919: 57,093

1920: 86,982

1921: 398,487 (2)

Migration from the French and Belgian Occupation Zones in the Rhineland and Ruhr to Silesia:

1918:

1919: 31,702

1920: 37,864

1921: 286,473 (3)

Casualties in the "Massacre on the Rhine" in Bonn on May 3rd, 1921:

German dead:

German wounded: 1109

French dead: 50

French wounded: 278

Occupation Costs for the Rhineland and Ruhr:

France:
    1.5 million Francs/day (4)

Belgium: 0.40 million Belgian Francs/day

Notes:
    1. Anti-German sentiment in Poland after the German victory in Silesia caused this sudden increase.
    2. Likewise, anti-Polish sentiment in Silesia caused this sudden increase.
    3. Crackdown on resistance and seizure of goods by the French authorities caused this sudden increase.
    4. OTL cost for 1 day of occupation of the Ruhr was 0.75 million Francs based on the NY Times source. I added another 0.75 million Francs for the Rhineland occupation.

Numbers are partly from OTL numbers, partly from my guestimations and calculations. Feel free to criticize them if you feel they are inaccurate. :biggrin:
    Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome!
    -Black Dragon

Sources:

Last edited:
    A Farewell and A Beginning
  • After a long absence, I have returned, bearing important news.
    This story has not been abandoned, in case you were all wondering.
    In fact, it has been expanded from a simple TL into a three book trilogy.

The names of the three books (in order of publication) will be:
    -Reich Turbulent (Covering the years 1917 to 1931)
    -Reich Resurgent (Covering the years 1931 to 1939)
    -Reich Ascendant (Covering the years 1939 to 1947)

As well, I am officially moving platforms from AH to The Sietch.
    You can find all of my works in the Sietch, as my threads here on AH will no longer be updated.
    Below is a link to the Sietch.

And now, for my third and final announcement.
    I will not longer be doing regular updates in my new thread at the Sietch as this is no longer a TL but an actual novel series.
    However, sample chapters and supplementary materials will still be posted.
    I plan for the first book, "Reich Turbulent" to be published some time in 2023 if all goes well.

And that's all everyone!
    Thank you for supporting my work and I hope to see many of you at the Sietch.
    -Black Dragon

Last edited: