Let me know your honest thoughts and feedback. I decided to go with the Free German Workers’ Defence League (Frei Deutscher Arbeiter Schutzbund, FDAS). Is this grammatically correct or sound good in German? @Tolkiene @RedSword12 ?

One small change: Freier, not frei (it would be 'Freie' in German if you're say writing 'der Freie Deutsche Arbeiter Schutzbund' in a sentence', but for just the name itself, 'Freier'...yes German grammar is confusing. Making things complicated is written into our DNA, I guess).

Also great chapter. Fun fact, I spent a lot of my childhood in Wilhelmshaven.

One small change: Freier, not frei (it would be 'Freie' in German if you're say writing 'der Freie Deutsche Arbeiter Schutzbund' in a sentence', but for just the name itself, 'Freier'...yes German grammar is confusing. Making things complicated is written into our DNA, I guess).
Yeah, that's kinda the source of my confusion. I thought of freier and freie and they both made sense in their respective contexts. It doesn't help that they sound almost exactly the same vocally, since the r is often silent when you actually speak it.

Arbeiterverteidigungsbund is not wrong per se, but a lot of nouns packed together in one word. You'd probably separate Arbeiter from the rest of the word.

No worries! Appreciate being able to help.

Personally, of the two, I prefer Deutscher Verteidigungsbund für freie Arbeiter. But I'd drop the 'für'. In that case, Deutscher Verteidigungsbund freier Arbeiter Either Verteidigungsbund or Schutzbund is okay, but upon reflection the latter might roll a bit easier off the tongue. It's certainly less long.

Here's a list of a bunch of German right-wing groups from German Wikipedia. May be helpful: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Völkische_Organisation

I like Schutzbund (there was a Deutschvölkischer Schutz- und Trutzbund) or Kampfbund (the latter means Combat League, also used by a bunch of fascist groups). Also less of a mouthful than Verteidigungsbund.

Regarding the alt SS, I'd suggest replacing Feldoperationen because it sounds awkward as a name for a group, as opposed to a description of, well, a task. Sturmwache and Leibgarde are both good.

Staatsverteidigung isn't really a term that's used in German, and sounds odd. Assuming this ministry only runs the security forces, the SS expy etc. and not the armed forces as a whole, I'd suggest Ministerium für Staatsschutz (state protection) und Sicherheit. Alternately just shorten it to Ministerium für Staatsschutz (or Sicherheit, but that's quite close to just calling it the Stasi).

If it also runs the regular military, replace Staatsverteidigung with Landesverteidigung (national defence), a term used in Germany and Austria (Austria's modern-day defence ministry is called the Bundesministerium für Landesverteidigung). Staatsschutz is a term that does get used in German to describe combating politically motivated crimes and the like. Of course, here the context is a lot more sinister, to use incredible understatement.
So the Ministerium für Landesverteidung, with the Volkswehr being the Armed Forces. That sound ok?
You know if Hitler can get the industry of Czechoslovakia, Austria, and Hungary combined that isn't that terrible of an industrial base to work with. Especially if he has Romania allied or puppeted (oil) and Italy as Mediterranean access until Yugoslavia can be, reaquired. Mayhaps Bulgaria is still on board if he offers them border pilth and he can have direct trade with Turkey (tungsten) which could be even better if he can get Turkey to join the new Central Powers.
Hitler will have to submit much of Southern and Eastern Europe, either through annexation, puppeting or alliances, to have a snowball chance in hell of accomplishing his goals.

The Axis Power of TTL will have similar faces to OTL with some new additions, and a few who are not part of the Axis OTL who will be here ITTL and Vice versa.
I doubt there will be a 'New Central Powers'
No New Central Powers, but a… remixed Axis Powers.
Before this Strasser led another party?
How big is FDAS? In terms of Membership?
Not totally sure, since my German grammar isn't absolutely perfect, but I believe Freie would be correct, if not that that, Freier or Freies.
Strasser made a (fictional) political party in-universe as there is no NSDAP here. There is a DAP, but it folded with the newborn FDAS. The FDAS holds a lot of the minor political parties and Strasser here is trying to merge most of the Fascist/Völkisch parties into one, uniting the Southern and Northern right wing parties.
Speaking of Ludendorff, maybe he could be a major figure in the more hardline/FDAS-adjacent factions of the DNVP (along with Goering) who argue the DNVP should ally with the FDAS?
Ludendorff might be part of the radical faction of the DNVP, though I feel here Göring might be a “moderate” DNVP.
Freier Deutscher Arbeiter Schutzbund would be grammatically correct.

It continues to be a very interesting story.
I just have strong doubts that this grouping will even begin to reach the popularity of the NSDAP OTL.
Thank you! The FDAS won’t hit the popularity of the NSDAP, but it will be a very militant, vocal and aggressive political party that advocates violent Revolution, and is in tough competition with the KPD.

Ironically enough, the FDAS and KPD will be such a threat on either side of the political spectrum that the DNVP and SPD actually will view each other as lesser evils and “enemies of my enemies” sort of view.
I see what you did there, and I approve :)
Thank you, I was hoping someone would recognize it.
TTL Hitler proving once again that he is wiser than his OTL counterpart. Gregor Strasser as the leader of the Brown Shirts? Interesting
He is for sure. More collected, planning for long term objectives in a more concrete manner. Even though he doesn’t want to go to Japan, he has a plan there that if it succeeds it will reignite his name in Austria and show he is a man of action rather than talk. You’ll see.

The man who introduces Strasser is Ernst Röhm. The SA was it’s own thing, here it became the official paramilitary army of the FDAS.

I also updated Lutjens POV section to be more filled out and refined. The Hitler POV will be for Next chapter as ending the chapter as I did feels like a better close.

Last edited:
What will Turkey be doing here? Maybe we could have Turkey here end up under Recep Peker instead of Ismet Inonu with the ideas of Kadro guiding this Turkey ITTL?

Also great chapter. Fun fact, I spent a lot of my childhood in Wilhelmshaven.
Thanks for the help! I took German in college but I’ve lost a lot of it, especially on the grammar side. Oh nice!
Yeah, that's kinda the source of my confusion. I thought of freier and freie and they both made sense in their respective contexts. It doesn't help that they sound almost exactly the same vocally, since the r is often silent when you actually speak it.
Once I got to my third year in German it got to the point I had a lot of trouble with the grammar, especially if I was using the right case of the word. Like der/dem/den etc.
What will Turkey be doing here? Maybe we could have Turkey here end up under Recep Peker instead of Ismet Inonu with the ideas of Kadro guiding this Turkey ITTL?
Turkey won’t have any foreseeable change until the 1930s (if they are changed at all). Hitler being an Austrian politician won’t affect Them. Now Hitler as Austria’s dictator will influence the region.

I have broad plans for Turkey. Nothing too concrete but I know where I want to go.
If World War I ended the same way it did in OTL, then why would a leftist government take the place of Ataturk?
It definitely won’t go leftist.
I mean what are the no of members?
As of it’s founding? 100,000-150,000 members. Give or take. Number is subject to change.
Thats why 2nd GermanEmpire isn't a one party state.
Correct. Restored Imperial Germany will be multi-party with the SPD and DNVP being the largest.
Yep. Sounds good! Feel free to hit me up if you want input on translations to German in the future.
Will do.

Last edited:
I’ll admit 100k may be too much, but 3k is too low
When the Nazis were founded they had 36 members.
Then they increased to 111 ( 111 specifically as it was the no. of members Hitler gave his first speech to)members. 27x 111= 2997.
Making it around 3000 memmbers.
They have time to increase their membership.
Attraction of Crowds and Lutjens have shown that They can draw support through rallies and propagandas.
I think they can go up to 100K or more members given enough time.

Last edited:
When the Nazis were founded they had 36 members.
Then they increased to 111 ( 111 specifically as it was the no. of members Hitler gave his first speech to)members. 27x 111= 2997.
Making it around 3000 memmbers.
They have time to increase their membership.
Attraction of Crowds and Lutjens have shown that They can draw support through rallies and propagandas.
I think they can go up to 100K or more members given enough time.
Yes, but the FDAS is an amalgamation of over twenty other political parties, some of which were very small (like the German Workers' Party, DAP) while others are in their thousands. I will edit the number to around 30,000, as they will see a rapid increase once the Great Depression hits.

They are:
-anti-Semitic
-anti-monarchist
-anti-large business
-nationalist
-wanting to reverse Treaty of Versailles
-return Germany to pre-war borders (with the Colonies being something they're willing to drop)
-to focus on making Germany an autarky

Gregor Strasser is Party Chairman, his brother Otto is Party Secretary, and Ernst Roehm is Chief of the SA which now the militant arm of the FDAS.

I wonder if he’ll meet Sydney Greenstreet on the trip? He was always lurking on those steamers to the Orient.😉

ric350

Can't wait for Hitler's Japanese adventure. Domo arigatou Mister Okami
I’m toying with the idea of Hitler leaving Japan with a samurai katana, as a gift from a Japanese officer or official he meets there. I have the key plot points of him being in Japan planned out, but a lot of the middling details are placeholders and open to change. Would the Japanese government gift a katana to a foreign National?
Or him meeting and hitting it off with Frank Lloyd Wright over Architecture while both are in Tokyo.
Ehh, maybe. He will meet some known names while there (Japanese and other), but it won’t be very obscure people like that. If anything, maybe in passing at some event.
I wonder if he’ll meet Sydney Greenstreet on the trip? He was always lurking on those steamers to the Orient.😉
Again, maybe. And he didn’t become a known actor till the 40s so mid-20s he’s an unknown.

I’m toying with the idea of Hitler leaving Japan with a samurai katana, as a gift from a Japanese officer or official he meets there. I have the key plot points of him being in Japan planned out, but a lot of the middling details are placeholders and open to change. Would the Japanese government gift a katana to a foreign National?
Not sure the government as a whole would, but maybe he strikes a deep friendship with Tojo or some other person from the military/politics who'd become important.

Last edited:
You could have Hitler receive a Shin guntō, a ceremonial sword/katana that is produced by the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy instead of an actual Katana.

Last edited:
Have him receive Sakura seeds that he plants upon returning to Austria. He takes care of the tree and sees it sprout, turning into a reminder of the low point of his political career. It becomes a symbol of how beautiful things can come from unexpected places and its continued growth continues to inspire Hitler.
And then BAM! It gets blown up or scorched in a bombing raid at the end of the War.