A question: Rommel will be making more appearances in the story?
Also, seems that TTL, Yugoslavia would become in the Hitler's 'bête noir'...

I think it would be interesting if Rommel leads perhaps an anti Hitler resistance, though I don't know how he would end up leaving the german army. Most likely he will end up in the german army and just fight Hitler regardless

I get the very distinct impression it is the Austro-Slovene conflict that propels Hitler to nation, nay international attention, esp in this case the Slovene's broke the peace.

Hoping Paul can get his family to safety from Berlin. Seems a horrible place at the mo.

Glad to read more of this Timeline @Tanner151

Yugoslavia, in particular the Serbians, will be the main targets of TTL Holocaust, alongside the Romanians and Jews.

I'm betting Paul's storyline is going to be an ongoing tragedy, especially if he returns to Austria and sees the madness his old friend has brought about.

The Yugoslavs, frustrated by the multinational and lawful decision for plebiscite over territory they believed to be theirs, have launched an offensive into south-eastern Carinthia that had obviously been readied for weeks. Rudolf Maister’s forces, made up largely of Slovenian elements, attacked in the morning hours of April 29th, likely intending to take all Carinthian land the Butcher of Marburg claimed months ago. It is unknown if the League of Nations or Entente will intervene directly, though both organizations had issued diplomatic protests to the South Slav kingdom and as of yet there has been no response from Belgrade. In the offensive’s opening hours, significant stretches of land have come under the Yugoslavian yoke, though there are notable holdouts and resistance against the attackers is high...
The League actually doing something?
In all seriousness, I see this basically becoming a fait accompli that pushes the Austrians more and more towards fascism. And makes Hitler hate Slovenes alot.

Last edited:
Ahh ok. Hungary will be following a largely historical path here up until the mid-late 1930s due to Hitler’s Austria.
"I am Sturmbannführer Andreas Bolek. I will be your guide when in Linz. You will be housed in a hotel near the colosseum. While in Linz, you must conduct yourself with exception. The leaders of the military, government and the Party will be there. After all, we are celebrating the anniversary of the Party’s formation as well as the recent Verschmelzung.
So, since Verschmelzung roughly translates to Merger, I suppose Social-Nationalist Austria will annex Hungary?

Last edited:
No worries! I know we’ve all been dealing with stuff, so take it a bit at s time
Thanks!
I feel Rommel will make the odd appearance here and there. He’ll even have the occasional POV segment but he won’t be a major character as of now in my roadmap.
I think it would be interesting if Rommel leads perhaps an anti Hitler resistance, though I don't know how he would end up leaving the german army. Most likely he will end up in the german army and just fight Hitler regardless
Rommel will remain apart of the German Army, going from the Reichswehr to the reborn Imperial Army. He will rise far, but not to the degree of OTL I think due to how events play out.
I get the very distinct impression it is the Austro-Slovene conflict that propels Hitler to nation, nay international attention, esp in this case the Slovene's broke the peace.

Hoping Paul can get his family to safety from Berlin. Seems a horrible place at the mo.

Glad to read more of this Timeline @Tanner151
Hitler will become a household name in Austria, at least for a few years, which will propel him into politics lightning quick which will both aid and hurt him in the near future.

He’ll probably have the odd newspaper article over him internationally but won’t become a big big thing until his seizure of power or the years preceding that.

Glad to have a chapter out myself. Didn’t realize it had been a month. Honestly felt like two weeks.
De jure, it was the German Reich, so there's that.
I put Weimar to differentiate it from Imperial Germany and when the Hohenzollerns are restored. I did add the Reich in parentheses.
Yugoslavia, in particular the Serbians, will be the main targets of TTL Holocaust, alongside the Romanians and Jews.

I'm betting Paul's storyline is going to be an ongoing tragedy, especially if he returns to Austria and sees the madness his old friend has brought about.

The League actually doing something?
In all seriousness, I see this basically becoming a fait accompli that pushes the Austrians more and more towards fascism. And makes Hitler hate Slovenes alot.
Serbians, Jews and Romanians will be major targets of the Austrian State. Most Slavs are tolerated. Slavs are considered Aryan ITTL, so it isn’t necessarily a race thing but a cultural superiority complex. Hitler here believes Slovenes are Aryan, they are just misguided and Yugoslavia is a mongrelized state of different ethnic groups with competing goals which has no purpose but to drain life and resources from Austria. He believes Germanic/Nordic people are at the top of the Aryan hierarchy with Austrian being “better Germans.”

Which is hugely ironic considering what the A-H Empire was and what the Austrian State will become.

The Holocaust here will be no less cruel, just a bit smaller due to Austria’s more limited reach compared to OTL.

So, since Verschmelzung roughly translates to Merger, I suppose Social-Nationalist Austria will annex Hungary?
Merger/Amalgamation, Verschmelzung will be Austria annexing territory, just won’t say which area/country just yet due to spoilers.

EDIT: Also, thank you all so much for the votes on the Turtledove! Even though we didn’t win, Der Kampf got like fifth place or so out of around a dozen so huge win in my book. Y’all are great and keep me motivated for this story!

Last edited:
He has to be if Austria is gonna be any kind of threat in Europe.
That said, I am intrigued by how the Social Nationalist Austria would be able to challenge Allied control of the skies with so comparably little industry. Might they mitigate Allied control of the air by using smoke ammunition, night attacks, that sort of thing?

This Hitler is a front line veteran, as opposed to a rear echelon runner, mocked by his regimental comrades and thought of as a lesser contributor to the War effort.
Mhmm, he was on the frontline constantly, he developed a pro-Austrian German mindset rather than a pan-German one like OTL. He was the Hero of Hill 53, was wounded, saw several promotions to the equivalent of First Sergeant, respected by his comrades and was able to whip up a paramilitary force in a short amount of time to go to Carinthia.
He is a more dangerous man in practical terms, at least at this stage of the story. He not only has OTL Hitler’s nationalist fervor, racism, and brutality, but also some organizational and administrative skills since he served as Olbrecht’s adjutant and he has broadened his racial stuff including Slavs as Aryans rather than sub-human which will have major consequences in the 30s and 40s.
That said, I am intrigued by how the Social Nationalist Austria would be able to challenge Allied control of the skies with so comparably little industry. Might they mitigate Allied control of the air by using smoke ammunition, night attacks, that sort of thing?
Sozinat Austria will never have industrial might of the Allies or the Soviets. It simply isn’t possible, nor will they have as much as the Germans ended up having from 1939-1942 but Hitler here knows his country’s weakness and knows that it has to be smart with what they have. So there won’t be a dozen different planes or corporations competing for funding or resources, just a handful of dependable and efficient designs in both aircraft, tanks and Infantry weapons etc.

I can’t say much due to spoilers but Austria will try and counteract Allied aerial supremacy and there will
Be things that cause issues for the Allies.

Depending on how you go about with this it could be very good or very bad. Your writing skills are good enough you have to focus on the plot itself. good luck

I would like to see how the party develops. Would it have similar members, similar history? obviously not.

This is a fragile plot but i am sure you wont ruin it

Depending on how you go about with this it could be very good or very bad. Your writing skills are good enough you have to focus on the plot itself. good luck

I would like to see how the party develops. Would it have similar members, similar history? obviously not.

This is a fragile plot but i am sure you wont ruin it
I know the plot may seemed disjointed, but this is a slow burn timeline. We won't be at Hitler ruling Austria for some time. If I just jumped there right now I would have to spend a lot of time backtracking, explaining things, which would interrupt the pace and seem even more disjointed but here I can establish a foundation, introduce characters we will see triumph and fail, become good or evil, and live and die.

I am currently writing the next chapter, about 1/4 done and it isn't supposed to be a long chapter anyway, but I have been distracted by my Warhammer 40,000 story The Fulgrimian Heresy, which only has three chapters left to write and I am intent on finishing that this year (specifically within the next few months) as the five year anniversary is coming up. With me writing those, each chapter is 10k-15k words long, I have been busy to say the least.

Don't worry this is still my main story, but I want to finish that story so I can move on without it nagging in the back of my brain. I have a terrible tendency to have several projects which I feel I have to work on, which detracts from my writing speed from those that are released to the public. Bad habit that I'm trying to get a hold on.

The ballpark aim is to have the chapter out this weekend, but if my history of never meeting these deadlines is something to go off of, it might be two weeks.

Once summer is here and I can focus on my hobbies more, I would like to release 1-2 chapters a week for two months as well as get the "first arc" of Der Kampf ready for publication.

Thank you all for your patience.

Last edited:
Oh and everyone im expanding and editing Tanner151's Storm of Steel and Fire. Make sure you catch it when im finished, im hoping to start working closer with Tanner151