Slight self-correction. I am used to writing the word Karabinier in referring to the Karabiniers of the Napoleonic Wars, so I accidentally added an "i" to Karabiner. The correct spelling is Karabiner.

I mean, if your complaints about Eisbär were that the species was not extant in Europe (technically it does life in Europe, though only at the extreme fringes), I'd note that the same applies to the Tigers. At least Eisbär is an actual species, unlike King Bear. Apparently there was a fairly substantial trade of Polar Bear pelts in the early 1900's, with around 1,400 pelts obtained per year at hunting's peak. There are definitely ways for Hitler to be aware enough of the species to potentially name a heavy tank after it. Say, for example, that he sees a polar bear pelt in someone's collection and the size of it makes a lasting impression on him. They are after all the biggest land carnivores.

Sounds good.

I suggested them using the Panzer III chassis. When I referred to the Panzer IV chassis, I just meant that the Ostwind, Wirbelwind, etc., were IOTL mounted on the Panzer IV chassis.

As an addendum, considering that night vision probably wouldn't be introduced across the whole Volkswehr due to expense, night attacks might be more typically employed by elite units equipped with it, while regular units are trained for night fighting but are usually used in the daytime so they can benefit from air support.

So perhaps a typical attack in the early war might unfold with Stoßtruppen+Panzers+Panzergrenadiers (supplemented by some regular troops) making the initial assault in the night after a hurricane barrage (later in the night proportional to how quickly recon suggests a breakthrough might occur), followed through by a larger attack (in the late night or at dawn, depending on how the initial attack goes) by the regular infantry (supported by air and smaller reserve units) along the line to exploit the breakthrough and/or overload the enemy front + pin down reserves. Basically a primary breakthrough facilitated mainly by elite units, supplemented by smaller-scale attacks all around to open up smaller breaches in the line, prevent an organized withdrawal, diminish the effect of any concentrated counterattack, and create opportunities for smaller reserve formations of Panzers and STUG's to exploit should the main thrust falter. Sort of like (a bit of a rough analogy, I admit) the story of the boy who put his finger to plug a leaking dike, except the Volkswehr is the water and the leak doesn't get noticed. Perhaps a better analogy is a leak turning into a flood, with water opening up new leaks which weaken the overall structure (the enemy front line, that is).

Maybe a little late, but there's lists of Austrians who were in the Nazi regime or armed forces here and here.
Ahh gotcha. Having the Crocodile based off the Panzer III chassis will help fill out the Volkswehr panzer divisions, especially in the latter half of the war. And having the Vampyr tech will be useful, but you're right, mainly it will reserved for the elite units, the vanguard elements. And thank you for the list! I already have a list but I'll need way more names. War listening to a Mark Felton doc and learned more about Alois Brunner. That monster will show up for sure in the Staatschutz.

Also, would SS runes work for the Staatschutz, or should I have another symbol, perhaps crossed swords or some such. Thoughts on this, everyone?
Very happy with that yes. Personally I'd vote for Konigbar but if you go with the other, I won't protest.

Who'd have thought it would take so much discussion (Never call it argument) to name the Panzers? :)
I'm honestly leaning towards Eisbar, at least for the moment but its quick and to the point. It is honestly semantics as the Panzer V will NOT play a role of any significance in the war due to its heavy cost and the Austrian focus on the cheaper and easier to build PzIIIs and PzIVs. Those are going to be quite streamlined, especially the PzIV compared to the OTL Wehrmacht PzIV.
And is almost luxury compared to the U-505 in Chicago, another one everyone should try to go thru
Oof. I can't even imagine what a deployment on a WW2 submarine must have been like. Claustrophobic and incredibly dangerous. It also was so hot going in. I for some reason thought it would be cool, due to the Hawaiian weather that the engines were off, but I was mistaken. Felt like 85-90 degress and with engines on it could get to 120 degrees.
The German Wiki is really helpful on these, and easy to use if you use Chrome or even Edge that will translate for non-German readers.
Best thing is to make a series of tables to keep notes. It's great stuff to toss in for flavor

For Electronics, that's where relations with Hungary can come in, with Tungsram, one of the largest producers of vacuum tubes in Europe, and you probably might have guessed had, had a facilities in Vienna, as did Auergesellschaft, that was soon to merge with other German companies to create the OSRAM conglomerate
Ahhh, appreciate that a lot.
Just asking for when Hilter gets into power what will the flag of the Austrian State be.Will it be the flag of the party like what he did in real life or is it the Old Austrian flag?
Yes. The red and white horizontal bar flag will be the flag of democracy within Austria. Hitler will quickly have it removed.
Probably the Kruckenkreuz.
Yes. I did at first consider imposing the Kruckenkreuz over the red and white Austrian flag but have decided that Hitler would want to completely separate the Republic of Austria from the Austrian State not only ideologically but also symbolically. So the Kruckenkreuz from the Prelude will be the national flag of the Austrian State.
Correct!

Hey, everyone, I need some assistance over a uniform issue I'm having for the future Austrian Volkswehr and the Sturmwache/Staatschutz:

My original goal was for the Austrian Volkswehr to adopt the pike gray as their uniform for WW2. However, I then imagined a soldier wearing a pike gray uniform, which is bluish-gray, in the Russian steppes in summer and I feel it would stick out like a sore thumb. But I don't want the Austrian State to outright copy the German feldgrau. Would a khaki-green be appropriate for the Austrian Army as a 'summer' clothes with the pike gray as winter. https://www.google.com/search?q=kha...w&biw=1340&bih=600&dpr=1#imgrc=b1jqKreaYvtREM for summer and
1642182905898.png
for winter

For the Sturmwache I might even go some form of camo since they are the "elite" in Hitler's eyes. But the Staatschutz uniform will be this color:
1642183081611.png

Hey, everyone, I need some assistance over a uniform issue I'm having for the future Austrian Volkswehr and the Sturmwache/Staatschutz:

My original goal was for the Austrian Volkswehr to adopt the pike gray as their uniform for WW2. However, I then imagined a soldier wearing a pike gray uniform, which is bluish-gray, in the Russian steppes in summer and I feel it would stick out like a sore thumb. But I don't want the Austrian State to outright copy the German feldgrau. Would a khaki-green be appropriate for the Austrian Army as a 'summer' clothes with the pike gray as winter. https://www.google.com/search?q=kha...w&biw=1340&bih=600&dpr=1#imgrc=b1jqKreaYvtREM for summer and
1642182905898.png
for winter

For the Sturmwache I might even go some form of camo since they are the "elite" in Hitler's eyes. But the Staatschutz uniform will be this color:
1642183081611.png
I think a very dark shade of khaki-green would work, something akin to Feldgrau but more distinctly greenish in color to make it different as you said. Dark brown-grey might also be an option if you want to look into that (braungrau is one of the colors used in the modern Austrian military iirc, although I don't know how far back that goes). I'm not an expert on winter uniforms, but I believe a more white-ish color would be more suitable for winter uniforms. The Austro-Hungarians used white snow camouflage during WWI. I think an almost white shade for the winter uniforms would be more consistent with the Volkswehr's heritage from the Great War.
As for the Staatschutz color (Hechtgrau), if it's more in the police/ceremonial direction, sure. I just don't think it's ideal in the field, although iirc that's not really the Staatschutz's job to begin with. Although the French used a similar color in the Great War and they won, so it can't be that bad, so it definitely can be justified. Camouflage for the Sturmwache makes sense, and I imagine your intention was to make it an analogue for the Waffen-SS's usage of it?

Last edited:
I think a very dark shade of khaki-green would work, something akin to Feldgrau but more distinctly greenish in color to make it different as you said. Dark brown-grey might also be an option if you want to look into that (braungrau is one of the colors used in the modern Austrian military iirc, although I don't know how far back that goes). I'm not an expert on winter uniforms, but I believe a more white-ish color would be more suitable for winter uniforms. The Austro-Hungarians used white snow camouflage during WWI. I think an almost white shade for the winter uniforms would be more consistent with the Volkswehr's heritage from the Great War.
As for the Staatschutz color (Hechtgrau), if it's more in the police/ceremonial direction, sure. I just don't think it's ideal in the field, although iirc that's not really the Staatschutz's job to begin with. Although the French used a similar color in the Great War and they won, so it can't be that bad, so it definitely can be justified. Camouflage for the Sturmwache makes sense, and I imagine your intention was to make it an analogue for the Waffen-SS's usage of it?
Looking at some Google images it seems braungrau is very distinctive from feldgrau while a more dark green khaki may look just like a different shade of feldgrau.

And the Volkswehr having braungrau would be neat I think and could fit in with Rocky areas, steppes, and (to a lesser degree) forests if leaves and the like are strapped to them. White uniforms for winter is good.

Yeah the Staatschutz are very much security police/secret police rather than combat units. The Sturmwache are the Waffen-SS equivalent but they won’t be parts of the Austrian State’s SS. They will be separate organizations. The SW will be Hitler’s bodyguard and a small but elite field unit, while the Staatschutz will remain an intelligence/security apparatus, with no field units armed with panzers. If anything they’ll have some armored vehicles, but nothing like some Waffen-SS units had in OTL.

The SW could start the war with a white-gray uniform but change it to a camo pattern like this shortly into the war
1642386563025.jpeg

Also, here is a flash forward that’ll be in the next chapter. I was gonna have it be part of the next chapter there are some hints here at what is to come and am curious to y’all’s reactions to it, and can change/modify if need be:

Near Lublin, Poland
Second Polish Commonwealth [placeholder title]
February 1943
Commander Bazyli Sniegow shivered in the wintry morning, his right knee aching from the bitter cold. Before him was a snow covered landscape, marred only by small rolling hills, leaf-ridden trees and a single paved road that was kept clear by the labors of those he watched and guarded.

Behind was a three meter tall fence that went for kilometers in both directions. Every five hundred meters was a watchtower, sporting two searchlights and two machine guns, one facing out past the fence, the other facing inwards.

In the distance, what he awaited finally crested over a hill and moved towards the camp. Three Steyr 220s moved towards where Sniegow stood, the Kruckenkreuz carefully applied on each side with pennant flags bearing the upturned sword and crossed spears of the Austrian Staatschutz to declare to all who resided within.

Sniegow wished he were anywhere else rather than here. Out on the Eastern Front, where he served until his knee injury prevented further combat service for his beloved Poland in early 1942, it was brutal but amongst his fellow soldiers it was a home of sorts, a brotherhood that survived against all odds. The great struggle against the Soviet menace was a crusade to defend Poland’s faith, culture and national identity. All just reasons to help explain the savagery being carried out on the Russian plains.

When he had returned to Warsaw a near-broken man, both physically and psychologically, following the Third Battle of Smolensk he dreaded whatever desk job the Army would have thanklessly saddled him with. So when an opportunity came from the Ministry of Public Safety to further protect the ojczyzna, and one that came with a substantial pay increase, Sniegow had seized the chance.

Little did he envision it would involve so much paperwork, walking around in freezing temperatures with a stiff knee, and making small talk with Austrian brutes.

The Volkswehr and Sturmwache he could respect in some ways, or at the very least their military professionalism and effectiveness, but the Austrian security forces were cruel beyond measure.

He sighed, taking his hat off to run a gloved hand through thinning hair. He might not care for the service his government demanded of him, but he was a patriot who would nonetheless carry it out, all in the hope of a better future for his children and those that would follow.

The three Austrian motorcars pulled up. The drivers in all three hopped out to open the door for the powerful men in each. Their aides followed after, presenting twelve men in the hechtgrau of the Staatschutz.

The lead figure was rather slim, despite the thick greatcoat covering him. Adolf Eichmann was Staatsprotektor Kaltenbrunner’s right hand man when it came to the affairs of ‘undesirables’ and had thus orchestrated much of the horrors being carried out in Austria and the former Yugoslavia.

The other two leading SS men were Odilo Globocnik and Alois Brunner. Having not only the Sozinat ‘Architect of the Final Solution,’ but also the State Secretary of the Bohemian Protectorate and the Butcher of Bratislava was disconcerting to say the least.

Sniegow’s right arm shot out. The Austrians repeated in kind.

“Good morning, meine Herren,” Sniegow began, at the moment cursing his fluency in German that had him earmarked to greet the blue-gray clad bastards. “On behalf of my premier and Marshal Rydz-Śmigły, I welcome you,” he turned to gesture at the gate before them, “to the Lublin Jewish Reservation.”

Axis Poland? Guess Germany will have 1914 borders in the East after the War.
What with the implied Kaiser restoration, I imagine ITTL's Germany will be more scary to Poland than IOTL (IOTL, Hitler agreed to a non-aggression declaration with Poland in 1934 that helped cool tensions). If I have to predict how the situation in the chapter occurs, Adolf Hitler would exploit Polish fears of German revanchism and use it to to leverage them into a closer arrangement. Combine that with a more aggressive USSR, and you have a situation where the Polish government feels like it has no choice but to choose the comparatively friendly Hitler as its ally.

Last edited:
Poland as an ally of Austria? That's interesting. Even calling the camps reservations has a quiet sinisterness to it.
Not only the name but with the 'VIP' that arrived (the named OTL war criminals/mass killers) plus the hints from the Polish veteran... I should say that the whole place its giving me a really macabre and dreadful foreshadowing about the possible fate ITTL of the Jews under the Sozinat regime.

Last edited:
Near Lublin, Poland
Second Polish Commonwealth [placeholder title]
February 1943
Commander Bazyli Sniegow shivered in the wintry morning, his right knee aching from the bitter cold. Before him was a snow covered landscape, marred only by small rolling hills, leaf-ridden trees and a single paved road that was kept clear by the labors of those he watched and guarded.

Behind was a three meter tall fence that went for kilometers in both directions. Every five hundred meters was a watchtower, sporting two searchlights and two machine guns, one facing out past the fence, the other facing inwards.

In the distance, what he awaited finally crested over a hill and moved towards the camp. Three Steyr 220s moved towards where Sniegow stood, the Kruckenkreuz carefully applied on each side with pennant flags bearing the upturned sword and crossed spears of the Austrian Staatschutz to declare to all who resided within.

Sniegow wished he were anywhere else rather than here. Out on the Eastern Front, where he served until his knee injury prevented further combat service for his beloved Poland in early 1942, it was brutal but amongst his fellow soldiers it was a home of sorts, a brotherhood that survived against all odds. The great struggle against the Soviet menace was a crusade to defend Poland’s faith, culture and national identity. All just reasons to help explain the savagery being carried out on the Russian plains.

When he had returned to Warsaw a near-broken man, both physically and psychologically, following the Third Battle of Smolensk he dreaded whatever desk job the Army would have thanklessly saddled him with. So when an opportunity came from the Ministry of Public Safety to further protect the ojczyzna, and one that came with a substantial pay increase, Sniegow had seized the chance.

Little did he envision it would involve so much paperwork, walking around in freezing temperatures with a stiff knee, and making small talk with Austrian brutes.

The Volkswehr and Sturmwache he could respect in some ways, or at the very least their military professionalism and effectiveness, but the Austrian security forces were cruel beyond measure.

He sighed, taking his hat off to run a gloved hand through thinning hair. He might not care for the service his government demanded of him, but he was a patriot who would nonetheless carry it out, all in the hope of a better future for his children and those that would follow.

The three Austrian motorcars pulled up. The drivers in all three hopped out to open the door for the powerful men in each. Their aides followed after, presenting twelve men in the hechtgrau of the Staatschutz.

The lead figure was rather slim, despite the thick greatcoat covering him. Adolf Eichmann was Staatsprotektor Kaltenbrunner’s right hand man when it came to the affairs of ‘undesirables’ and had thus orchestrated much of the horrors being carried out in Austria and the former Yugoslavia.

The other two leading SS men were Odilo Globocnik and Alois Brunner. Having not only the Sozinat ‘Architect of the Final Solution,’ but also the State Secretary of the Bohemian Protectorate and the Butcher of Bratislava was disconcerting to say the least.

“Good morning, meine Herren,” Sniegow began, at the moment cursing his fluency in German that had him earmarked to greet the blue-gray clad bastards. “On behalf of my premier and Marshal Rydz-Śmigły, I welcome you,” he turned to gesture at the gate before them, “to the Lublin Jewish Reservation.”
Points to be noted:
1) Poland and USSR are belligerents.
2) Poland and Austria are collaborating
3)Czechoslovakia has been dismembered and annexed by Austria
4) Smolensk is a Kharkov.
5) The war will go on upto atleast February 1943.
6) Lublin is an Austwitch.
Besides that, I also think that Soviets would have less European Satellites than OTL.
Also, would Trotsky lead frim the front like Zhukhov??

Last edited:
Axis Poland? Guess Germany will have 1914 borders in the East after the War.
Poland will be a major member of the Axis ITTL. At least in terms of soldiers supplied. Imperial Germany and Commonwealth Poland will have a tense relationship.
Poland as an ally of Austria? That's interesting. Even calling the camps reservations has a quiet sinisterness to it.
Mhmm. Poland will be a military-dominated/fascist state here. Imagine the United Kingdom from Timeline-191. A democracy but one with a powerful fascist movement that is part of the coalition government that runs the UK (the Silver Shirts). That could change here, Poland could go fully fascist/one-party state, but as of now I have it as a “democracy” dominated by militarism and fascist leanings.

While Austria will have concentration camps, it’s Axis allies will persecute its Jewish populations to various degrees. Poland will have Jewish ‘reservations’ inspired by the OTL Nazi Nisko Plan. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisko_Plan

The Poles won’t be murdering Jews outright, but more of enslaved labor with harsh punishments and potential mass sterilization. Essentially apartheid on steroids but not outright industrial genocide.

What with the implied Kaiser restoration, I imagine ITTL's Germany will be more scary to Poland than IOTL (IOTL, Hitler agreed to a non-aggression declaration with Poland in 1934 that helped cool tensions). If I have to predict how the situation in the chapter occurs, Adolf Hitler would exploit Polish fears of German revanchism and use it to to leverage them into a closer arrangement. Combine that with a more aggressive USSR, and you have a situation where the Polish government feels like it has no choice but to choose the comparatively friendly Hitler as its ally.
That’s hitting it on the head pretty accurately.
Not only the name but with the 'VIP' that arrived (the named OTL war criminals/mass killers) plus the hints from the Polish veteran... I should say that the whole place its giving me a really macabre and dreadful foreshadowing about the possible fate ITTL of the Jews under the Sozinat regime.
Serbia, aka the Serbian Occupation Zone, will be the site of the Holocaust ITTL. I’m thinking the Sozinats wouldn’t want many extermination camps in the Austrian State itself (except Mauthausen) with most of their criminal murder of innocents taking place in Serbia, which would be envisioned as future Austrian territory (accessed via railway and by sea). Possibly a colony of sorts with an Austrian upper class and a Serbian peasantry, sort of like the envisioned lebensraum Hitler had planned for OTL

Points to be noted:
1) Poland and USSR are belligerents.
2) Poland and Austria are collaborating
3)Czechoslovakia has been dismembered and annexed by Austria
4) Smolensk is a Kharkov.
5) The war will go on upto atleast February 1943.
6) Lublin is an Austwitch.
Besides that, I also think that Soviets would have less European Satellites than OTL.
Also, would Trotsky lead frim the front like Zhukhov??
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes-ish. Not all of Czechoslovakia will be annexed. Very little will be, but there will be two protectorates, Bohemia (Czechia) and Slovakia. Subject to change of course
4) That was the goal and there will be Four Battles of Smolensk though I didn’t realize Kharkov had four battles, thought it was only three. A happy little accident if you will.
5) Yes
6) More like the largest Jewish reservation/slave plantation area. The Auschwitz equivalent will be shared between Mauthausen and a camp in Austrian-ruled Serbia that I am calling Camp 23 in my head until I come up with an official name. And it will be the 23rd camp, 2/3 = 666 so that number was done purposeful.

While Holocaust will remain the chief name of the Austrian perpetuated genocide (aided by their allies) it will be called something else in Serbian. Years of Sorrow/Godine tuge is my placeholder.

Trotsky, by the time of Sverdlov becoming Soviet Premier, isn’t a field general but more of the civilian oversight over the Soviet Armed Forces. He isn’t Comrade General but rather Comrade People’s Commissar.

Last edited:
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty
A Mutual Agreement
Tokyo, Japan
Empire of Japan
April 1924
Konrad Leichtenberg was exhausted, having stayed up late, again, yet in spite of his tiredness he did not mind. He enjoyed working, the feeling of accomplishing something for his country. And Hitler, he had found the past two months, was a driven taskmaster with high expectations and little tolerance for failure or excuses. Thus far, Leichtenberg had matched them as there had been no complaint and even an occasional gruff compliment from the Ambassador.

When Leichtenberg was dispatched in 1923 to lay the groundwork for an ambassadorial return, he was by all accounts a consul. He knew once relations between Austria and Japan had been sufficiently normalized that he wouldn’t receive the Ambassadorship. He was too young, too inexperienced, and didn’t have the connections in the coalition government to see it through. Leichtenberg had come to peace with that.

Yet there had been a sense of nervousness, of worry even, for whomever the new CS-NLF government dispatched. The Japanese were a fierce and proud people, and did not take kindly to ‘round-eyed devils,’ especially those they were once enemies with.

And he knew that Hitler’s appointment had been more of political exile than a desired career move, yet Hitler as Ambassador might have done more to normalize Austro-Japanese relations than a more typical politician would have. Hitler was a decorated veteran, noted for his bravery and leadership. The taking of Hill 53 by the former Stabsfeldwebel especially impressed the Japanese, citing that Hitler possessed a ‘true samurai spirit’ in some of their more right-wing newspapers.

It seemed that instead of rejection, the Black Wolf had found respect and acceptance in the Land of the Rising Sun. Already he had attended a half dozen formal dinners and events, ingratiating himself with the politico of several nations. Already Hitler had paved the way forward with aggressive diplomacy and stark bluntness, establishing favorable trade conditions that would be mutually beneficial to both sides and help the financially-crippled Republic stumble towards a facade of fiscal stability.

Though Leichtenberg himself was a Christian Social, his reports back to Vienna contained glowing reviews of the new ambassador. Another reason he stayed on was that the CS leadership wanted a trusted man to be Hitler’s minder and report back on any activities that the coalition government would find… uncouth.

Leichtenberg couldn’t resist a small smile at the thought. He reached for the next stack of paper and his hand froze as he read the memo on the top sheet.

“Well, well, well… isn’t that interesting,” he murmured.​

Vienna, Austria
Republic of Austria
May 1924

Franz Olbrecht sat in Parliament and listened alongside other members of the National Council to Labor Minister Dinghofer. The plump man was giving an update about current unemployment in the country.

“-unemployment has dropped nearly one percent, with our estimations projecting another one to two percent drop by the end of the year, especially once the proposed work programs are passed and put into effect-“

Olbrecht zoned out. He couldn’t help it. The minutiae of economics and labor were mind numbing, to say the least. He had been elected as councilor to the Nationalrat, being one of the Linz representatives, and was a political coup for the National Liberal Front. He was a war veteran, an aristocrat from an established family of regional importance, and a committed nationalist. While this made him popular in Linz and the Front lavished him with funds during his campaign, this public support underwent a marked shift after taking his oath before the rest of the assembled Parliament.

He was not blind nor a fool; he saw the whispered groups that would disperse or change subjects at his approach. The Social Democrats were cold and distant, the Communists hateful and distrustful, which was fine as the feelings were mutual, but it was the reaction from his own party and CS allies that worried him. The only ones he could trust were the other Hitlerites in the Front. The Front had thirty-three seats in the National Council, of which only seven were sufficiently pro-Hitler. Hitler had won them their seats, either directly or indirectly via his well-oiled propaganda machine, and they felt more loyalty to him than they did Chairman Gross or the other key players in the Central Committee.

“This is a waste of time,” the man next to him, a fellow Hitlerite, said. Olbrecht nodded at the words and sentiment. “We need to not be a government of talking but a government of action. The Commander would not waste time debating work programs or announcing these small improvements as if they were great triumphs.” The man looked ready to spit then shrugged.

“As I said,” Ernst Rüdiger Camillo von Starhemberg, Councilor of Eferding District, “this is a waste of time. I wish the Commander were here. This facade of governance would be at an end. We need real leadership.”

“Of that, I completely concur, Ernst. He’ll return, in time, and when he does,” Olbrecht narrowed his eyes and looked around the chamber, eyes lingering on the Communists and the Jewish politicians, enemies of the state in all but name, “Then we’ll rid the raff and restore Austria to its rightful place.”​

Jinzhou, Manchuria
Republic of China
May 1924

The assembled men rose and came to attention as the small thin man entered the room. The man took his seat at the head of the table, and gestured for the others to sit down.

The colonels, generals and government officials sat down, cigarette smoke thick in the air. At the far end of the room was a large map of East Asia, centered on China. Pins noted divisions of the Fengtian Army near the border with the Zhili Clique.

Despite the building’s thick walls, the sound of trains, trucks and men could be heard. Tens of thousands of soldiers in Jinzhou were outside, with thousands more planned in the coming months.

Several adjutants handed out thick packets of paper in front of every official. The man at the head of the table took a sip from his cup of tea before setting it back down. He opened up the packet that would detail the upcoming military operation.

“Let us begin,” Zhang Zoulin, Marshal of Manchuria said. “We will begin with Scenario Thirteen.”
Tokyo, Japan
Empire of Japan
May 1924

Hitler’s pen slashed his signature across the dotted line. Camera bulbs flashed, immortalizing the moment, nearly blinding him.

Hitler looked up and shook the preferred hand of Japanese Foreign Minister Keishirō Matsui, who bowed slightly as they shook. Hitler mirrored it.

Letting go, Hitler grabbed the pen and offered it to Leichtenberg. The First Secretary came to attention and took it with muted surprise. Hitler stifled a smile. He had the man working sixteen hour days, almost as much as himself, and Hitler knew he would have been unable to carry out his duties so vigorously or effectively without Liese and Leichtenberg.

Further politicking and false smiles followed. A reporter moved up to him, an Englishman with a thick, but understandable, German accent.

“What are your thoughts on the agreement, Herr Ambassador?”

“The Austro-Japanese Trade Agreement is a bold step towards revitalizing Austria’s economy. The Austrian electorate voted for us to bring positive economic change to the Fatherland, and this trade agreement helps relieve the great pressures unfairly imposed on us by the Entente.”

The Englishman looked up from his notebook.

“Unfairly, Herr Ambassador?”

From his periphery, Hitler could see Matsui’s translator whispering in his ear.

“You heard what I said. My country intended to avenge the murder of our Archduke, and yet we were cast as warmongering devils. Having the Black Hand with its Serbian and Russian overlords assassinating the man who would have been our next Kaiser could not be tolerated. A response was necessary, hence our ultimatum to the Serbs.”

“Do you not believe the Austro-Hungarian response was needlessly heavy-handed?” The reporter inquired, pencil over his notepad.

“Heavy-handed?” Hitler stared down the man.

Leichtenberg must have seen his hand tighten beneath the tabletop for the First Secretary stepped forward.

“That’ll be all the questions for now. The Ambassador has another meeting scheduled…”

Hitler held up a hand and Leichtenberg snapped his mouth shut.

“It must be a joy, Herr-“

“Fulcher,” the reporter said, “and the joy, Herr Ambassador?”

“The arrogance of Perfidious Albion. To judge others and yet think yourself above it. You say my country was heavy-handed. Very well. Let us compare some historical notes. Was it heavy-handed when your empire intervened with force when Sultan Khalid bin Barghash ascended to the Zanzibari throne? Was it heavy-handed when your navy starved millions in Europe during the Great War with your tenacious and inhumane blockade? Was it heavy-handed when British jackboots marched in Dublin during the Easter Uprising, suppressing the freedom of an entire people to the political ambitions and whims of London. Do not lecture me or mine, Herr Fulcher, on what is heavy-handed.”

The Englishman shifted uncomfortably and opened his mouth to talk but Hitler had one more thing to say.

“There is a saying you English quite love to spout to others, to rub what you believe is superiority but is in fact misplaced hubris. I believe it goes ‘the Sun never sets on the British Empire.’ Well do remember that for every dawn there is a dusk. Your ascendance is not eternal.”

Hitler left the table, shaking the offered hands of lesser Japanese diplomats and several embassy aides, many standing in mute shock.

Finishing, he allowed Leichtenberg to guide him towards a door at the far end of the hall. Standing there was a Japanese suited functionary who opened the door, gesturing for them to proceed.

Stepping through, another functionary stood there who spoke in Japanese. Hitler glanced at Leichtenberg.

“He said, ‘Follow me.’”

The two Austrians followed the Japanese man further into the Ministry. Hitler soon found himself in a much more richly furnished chamber. On one wall was an illustrated and highly detailed map of Asia and the Pacific. Japan and its territories shaded blood-red and done in a way to appear like the rays of the sun spreading across East Asia.. A man in the uniform of the Imperial Japanese Army stood there, looking up at the map, gaze fixed on the Home Islands.

Hitler stopped a certain distance away. His mind went through the steps Leichtenberg had instructed him to follow in this encounter.

He bowed slightly, hands at his side.

“It is an honor to meet you,” Hitler said in Japanese, the memorized words unfamiliar but said with certainty, “Your Highness.”

Near Lublin, Poland
Second Polish Commonwealth
February 1943

In the distance, what he awaited finally crested over a hill and moved towards the camp. Three black Steyr 220s moved towards where Sniegow stood, the Kruckenkreuz carefully applied on each side with pennant flags bearing the upturned sword and crossed spears of the Austrian Staatschutz to declare to all who resided within.

The other two leading SS men were Odilo Globocnik and Alois Brunner. Having not only the Sozinat ‘Architect of the Final Solution,’ but also the State Secretary of the Czech Protectorate and the Butcher of Bratislava was disconcerting to say the least.

“Good morning, meine Herren,” Sniegow began, at the moment cursing his fluency in German that had him earmarked to greet the blue-gray clad bastards. “On behalf of my premier and Marshal Rydz-Śmigły, I welcome you,” he turned to gesture at the gate before them, “to the Lublin Jewish Reservation.”​

Last edited:
“The arrogance of Perfidious Albion. To judge others and yet think yourself above it. You say my country was heavy-handed. Very well. Let us compare some historical notes. Was it heavy-handed when your empire intervened with force when Sultan Khalid bin Barghash ascended to the Zanzibari throne? Was it heavy-handed when your navy starved millions in Europe during the Great War with your tenacious and inhumane blockade? Do not lecture me or mine, Herr Fulcher, on what is heavy-handed.”
Oof, smack down on the British. So true too, not to mention the illegal blockade of neutral trade.

Hope y’all enjoy this. Next chapter will be a lot more of Hitler and the Japanese man seen at the end. I’m going to be focusing more on Hitler in Japan for the next while, outside factors/events will be mentioned via conversation, newspapers, radio etc.

I will be adding the Poland flash forward as some people may not have read it when it was posted by itself.

Here’s to another year for Der Kampf!

Last edited:
It would be the Republic of China as Manchukuo was not proclaimed until the Japanese invaded Manchuria.
Fixed. Warlord Era China has a very… eventful history. Here I will try and simplify and streamline within the realm of possibility.
Oof, smack down on the British. So true too, not to mention the illegal blockade of neutral trade.
Mhmm. Hitler may not have cared for the A-H as a state, but any chance to belittle the British he’ll take, though Hitler here doesn’t hate the British/French to the same degree as OTL. That’s reserved for Russians, Serbs and somewhat for Romanians as well due to them joining on the side of the Entente during the war.

Hitler, due to his experience on the merchant ship, has begun to turn his hate away from Russian people but rather fully to the Russian government (the Soviets).

Major plot points are soon to come, I was hoping to get them in this chapter but I feel like I’m rushing through the Ambassador Arc so I’m slowly myself down so I don’t skimp this arc that will have major repercussions down the road.

Major plot points are soon to come, I was hoping to get them in this chapter but I feel like I’m rushing through the Ambassador Arc so I’m slowly myself down so I don’t skimp this arc that will have major repercussions down the road.
I think I speak for many when I say I can't wait to see where you take this TL! Keep it up and Good Luck!

So is Lublin more of a reservation in the American sense (with Jews treated as Natives Americans OTL), or is this a temporary thing, like how ghettos were done before death camps?

itler here doesn’t hate the British/French to the same degree as OTL. That’s reserved for Russians, Serbs and somewhat for Romanians as well due to them joining on the side of the Entente during the war.

Hitler, due to his experience on the merchant ship, has begun to turn his hate away from Russian people but rather fully to the Russian government (the Soviets).
Aww
He was almost getting better
“As I said,” Ernst Rüdiger Camillo von Starhemberg, Councilor of Eferding District, “this is a waste of time. I wish the Commander were here. This facade of governance would be at an end. We need real leadership.”

“Of that, I completely concur, Ernst. He’ll return, in time, and when he does,” Olbrecht narrowed his eyes and looked around the chamber, eyes lingering on the Communists and the Jewish politicians, enemies of the state in all but name, “Then we’ll rid the raff and restore Austria to its rightful place.”
Chilling
He bowed slightly, hands at his side.

“It is an honor to meet you,” Hitler said in Japanese, the memorized words unfamiliar but said with certainty, “Your Highness.”
And epic!