Official Languages: English
Other Languages: Spanish, Cajun French
Demonym: Confederates,Americans
Nicknames: Southerners, Rebels

Nation Formed: February 4, 1861
Constitution Created: March 11, 1861
Independence Fully Recognized: August 30th, 1863

Government: Made up of Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches

Executive Branch: President may be elected to two 6 year terms. Acts as head of state/government.

Legislative Branch: House of Representatives consisting of 217 members elected to two year terms, Senate consisting of 34 senators elected to 6 year terms. There are no term limits.

Judicial Branch: 4 associate justices and one chief justice. Nominated by the president to lifetime terms. Nomination confirmed by the Senate.

Presidents of the CSA:

Jefferson Davis (1861-1868)
John C Breckenridge (1868-1874)
Alexander Stevens (1874-1880)
James Longstreet (1880-1886)
William HF Lee (1886-1889)
+
William C Oates (1889-1892)
JEB Stuart (1892-1898)

Benjamin Tillman (1898-1904)
Joseph CS Blackburn (1904-1910)
James B Clark (1910-1916)
Woodrow Wilson (1916-1922)
Joseph T Robinson (1922-1928)
Carter Glass (1928-1934)

Huey P Long (1934-1943)*+
James F Byrnes (1943-1946)

Richard Russell, Jr. (1946-1958)
Orville Faubus (1958-1964)

Albert Gore (1964-1976)
Terry Sandford (1976-1982)

Howard E Baker (1982-1994)
Albert Gore, Jr. (1994-2006)
Mike Huckabee (2006-2012)
John Edwards (2012-TBD)

Davis had no party affiliation as president
Blue=Democrat
Purple=Confederalists
Red=Populist Labor Party
+=Died In Office
*=First president to be reelected after the abolition of the single term limit

After lurking here for about a decade, I've got the inspiration for a timeline. After following two great pieces of a mini-timeline started by Chipperback, I thought it might be cool to try something similar. If you haven't looked in on The Road To Willa Cather Landing: GPUR General Election 2012 or Land of Confusion: The Wild Ride of the 2012 IRNA Presidential Election stop reading this and check them out now. The elections in those threads are over, but things are just starting to really heat up.

My favorite thing about those two timelines is that they flesh out often overlooked things like pop culture and sports in the alternate world. I want to do the same thing here.

Sit back, and hopefully you'll enjoy the ride.

I'm subscribing...A modern day CSA with a Civil War PoD....and some interesting Presidents of the Confederacy....

Deal me in :)

I am SO following this TL!

34 senators make for 17 states.

I'll take a stab at what states are in TTL's CSA:

Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Mississippi
Arkansas
Louisiana
Texas
Arizona
Sonora
Chihuahua
Nuevo Leon
Cuba

Consider me subscribed! Two things that stand out to me:
1) Different political parties than OTL, will those be explained at some point, and
2) NO STROM THURMOND OR GEORGE WALLACE AS PRESIDENT! :D

The GPUR does not exist in this timeline..I'd assumed it was CSA and USA in some form...

Right. I should have pointed out that though Chipperback's TL has a Confederate States in it, this is in no way affiliated with his timeline. My Confederate voters are slightly saner (No President Gingrich lol).

I'm In Too!, So I Could Still Cover CMC in this Universe where Chipperback posts stuff about the Great Plains United Republic!

You're more than welcomed to cover entertainment and sports. Though I reserve the right to cover football. I've had an idea for a Dixie Football League rattling around in my head for a few years now.:D

34 senators make for 17 states.

I'll take a stab at what states are in TTL's CSA:

No Mexican states. The original CSA, plus Kentucky, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the old disputed Western Territory (except they're known as Arizona and Lee in this time line).

Consider me subscribed! Two things that stand out to me:
1) Different political parties than OTL, will those be explained at some point, and
2) NO STROM THURMOND OR GEORGE WALLACE AS PRESIDENT!

The Democrats are the Granddaddy of the CSA's political parties. It dominated the scene for most of the nation's history, though it was split among the liberal, moderate, and conservative wings (if you've ever read Advise And Consent by Allen Drury, think of the faction's that were present in that novel's "Majority Party").

The Confederalists emerged as the Anti-Davis Party, and evolved into the party that wanted to strictly follow the constitution. When proposed constitutional amendments started to gain popular support(the direct election or senators, and the abolition of slavery specifically), the party started to wane.

The Populist-Labor Party was born when Huey Long split from the Democrats and formed a party "For the penniless people; not the plutocratic planters." It has become the only party in the last century to give the Democrats any competition. Populist-Labor presidents like Al Gore, Sr. and Terry Sandford were instrumental in extending civil rights to African-Confederates.

Last edited:
I'm liking this...and in my TL....I'm planning to start a third after the New Year..

Because it's 2013.....By the Confederate Constitution...It's an Election Year...and even though the CSA in my TL is a security state...Elections are contested...

I wonder what shape a african-confederate rights movement took ITTL.

I'm liking this...and in my TL....I'm planning to start a third after the New Year..

Because it's 2013.....By the Confederate Constitution...It's an Election Year...and even though the CSA in my TL is a security state...Elections are contested...

I wonder what shape a african-confederate rights movement took ITTL.

If the first election was in 1861 and are every six years wouldnt the last election have been in 2011? Unless something in your timeline threw them off by two years.

If the first election was in 1861 and are every six years wouldnt the last election have been in 2011? Unless something in your timeline threw them off by two years.

In my TL, everything happened as it did IOTL until 1935. That is when the Breakup of the United States began.

The reorganized Confederate States had their first election in 1947 with six-year terms and no term limit.

1947, 1953, 1959, 1965, 1971, 1977, 1983, 1989, 1995, 2001, 2007, 2013

The CSA in the timeline Underboss is building has a PoD as a Confederate Civil War victory.

Dialga

Banned
Mmm, I think I'm going to like this. A history of the CSA that avoids the usual stereotypes (e. g. no Robert E. Lee as presidemt, but his son becomes POTCS).

Looks like the POD is ca. 1863, because Jeb Stuart lives (awesome)! :cool:

Hope there's no demonization or idolization of the CSA. It would be refreshing to see some humanization for a change....

As much as I don't usually enjoy TLs which keep OTL figures around, even the POD is decades before their births; this looks like a helluva lot of fun! :)

'besides; i'm looking forward to seeing the impact that Huey Long had on the CSA! :D

One question, would West Virginia still be part of Virginia or the US, since the POD includes an earlier victory/independence of the CSA?

I can imagine WV exists, as it split from VA in 1862.

Also, my guess is that the CSA probably shaped up between 1885-1915 and is now a member of NATO. (If NATO exists)

Last edited: