Bosnia I would imaginate being quiet similar with Northern Ireland. There might be even their own IRA for Serb population and there being Bosnian Troubles what Danubian (I would imaginate country taking that name) government try to resolve through second half of 20th century.
Northern Ireland with a bit of Florida taste into it.
Brits army is already have Troubles (Heh) to dealing the IRA & UDA paramilitaries in NI that causes over 250,000 British troops go to there, Several of Building bombed and destroyed, Attempted assassination of the Prime minister and thousands of pp dead in Course of 30 Year’s.

Imagine in AH Bosnia with over 3 Ethnic groups together with a Country that had no idea what they dealing with

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
The Balkans under Austria Hungary weren’t hateful ethnically. There were split loyalties over loyalty to the empire and loyalty to other states and sometimes that lead to murder but never over ethnicity.
Add in religion too.

But the Hapsburg Emperor was the glue that really held the disparate bits together

Add in religion too.

But the Hapsburg Emperor was the glue that really held the disparate bits together

True. Habsburg family is only one which can keep whole thing together. Very comparable with Belgian royal family which is glue betwen Flemish and Vallonian population.

True. Habsburg family is only one which can keep whole thing together. Very comparable with Belgian royal family which is glue betwen Flemish and Vallonian population.
I actually didn’t know that Lalli, can you tell about Habsburg family be the only glue that sketch Ethnic and Religious together?

I actually didn’t know that Lalli, can you tell about Habsburg family be the only glue that sketch Ethnic and Religious together?

Not sure was there much else glues than just imperial family. Franz Joseph had several flaws but at least he managed to keep the empire together despite lot of nationalist problems. I think that only influence of emperors can keep the empire together after CPs have won WW1/world without world wars.

Not sure was there much else glues than just imperial family. Franz Joseph had several flaws but at least he managed to keep the empire together despite lot of nationalist problems. I think that only influence of emperors can keep the empire together after CPs have won WW1/world without world wars.
Also AH is actually add Islam as Official religion along side with Catholicism and Orthodoxy. They were actually Progressive at this time even still tho.
Archduke Ferdinand Franz actually kinda don’t like Serbian even called them “Pigs” and Slavs were Sub-Human than History portray.

Meh, that's pretend-HSR :p.

More seriously, while the official limit in Europe is 250+, any, er, serious, HSR project I am aware of has always used trains capable of 300+ km/h, so any HSR-only track built to 250-300 km/h standards is a bit of a weird investment. You are already doing most of the effort at that point, so better just add the extra funding to make full use of what your HSR trains will be able to do. Otherwise, 'normal' trains can pull 200 km/h these days, so you also need enough of an edge over them for the investment to be worth it.
And yet most German HSR lines are built to just 250 or 270 km/h standards and the latest HSR train sets ordered, the ICE 4, have a top speed of only 250 km/h for the pre 2021 sets and 265 km/h for the post 2021 ones, slower even than the ICE 1 and ICE 2 train sets (280 km/h) they're intended to replace. In mountainous Austria and Switzerland HSR lines are even built to just 200 km/h to at most 230 km/h standards. With the exception of the Pannonian basin Austria-Hungary was pretty mountainous too.

Last edited:
Except that state/regional governments simply could not handle such a crisis on their own. The EU/Article of Confederation model would have been a huge mess because the federal government would have totally lacked the fiscal tools to combat economic crises, while states are totally dependent on federal central bank.
Yet that is exactly how Austria-Hungary functioned.
If you think Flemish-Wallonian beefs is bad then AH part of the Balkan will be the Florida of Europe with all of it weird, hateful and crazy stuff between Croats, Serbs, Bosniaks, Hungarian etc.
Not really. OTL 20th century events severely damaged relations between these groups and there was no opportunity (and/or will) to heal these wounds, quite the contrary! There would be ample time and opportunity for reconcilation ITTL, however.

At 250 km/h any point in A-H is reachable in 3 hours or so starting in Vienna. You people are wasting a lot of air on a non-issue, and profitability too is not one either as even today most european rail companies are either heavily subsidized or state owned (such as the Austrian one). At minimum the rail system in the mountains will be better than it is today due to not having a few wasted decades due to all the troubles.

I think that we lacking the discussion of this thread and is that what the Culture of a Survived AH will be look like in the Modern day. I think that’s one of the Most Excellent comment that made by the Gentleman @DocJamore which he made down below that you can read about it. The sad part about this Amazing comment by him is that the Thread about Austria Hungary culture loo like that only has Two replied which is sad.
I do not believe this topic can begin without discussing what would happen to the cities. They would look, act, and behave, fundamentally differently in a surviving Empire than in the resulting nations that emerged out of it. Since the cities would in time resemble microcosms of the Empire as a whole.

Prior to the War Austria-Hungary had one of the fastest growing economies in Europe. However, they hadn't reached that point on the demographic transition model of a population boom and urbanization. They were close to crossing it, but the dissolution of the State came before it could happen. The nations that came out of the dissolution were ethno-nationalist unitary states and they had no interest in anybody in their cities not using their language. Now Austria and Hungary had their own assimilation policies. In fact Hungary's Magyarization policies were the most successful in their cities. However, the main difference facing the cities this time would be the sheer scale of the immigration. The new urban poor would be flooding the cities from across the empire and I do not think the cities would be able to keep up with it. The assimilation policies would fail. They would be overwhelmed by the volume of people. For example, I don't think it would be unreasonable for a modern day Vienna in TTL to have around or over 10 million people. Are all of those people going to be German? Of course not. Now I do not believe that these cities would be homogeneously mixed. Vienna would have ethnic Slavic, Hungarian, and Romanian quarters (to give a few) and many cities have across the Empire would all be multi-ethnic of various degrees. The key difference is that there is no mono-nationalist government trying to force these people to all be the same and assimilate. To put it in another way, Austria-Hungary had 52 million people in 1914. I could be conservative and say the population of a modern AH would be double that at around 100 million. Yet a majority of those people are going to be living in the cities after the demographic transition is over. And when a majority of people are living in the cities, Austria Hungary may have the same borders but it is a fundamentally a different country.

Organized labor would be fascinating. I think at first labor unions would have a nationalist bent to them and refuse to cooperate with each other because of that. That is self-defeating however, as employers could play nationalities off each other. They may even try to encourage immigration from other parts of the Empire into the city, just so they have a means to do this. Now I am not saying they would intentionally do this (though they might), but if there is a nationality in the empire that is willing to work for cheaper wages in the factories than the ones working for you, why not invite them over? That's capitalism. Perhaps unions would then try to downplay ethnicity and nationality as it isn't helping to organized labor in its goals. Maybe they would take up Austro-Maxism, which was frankly two or three generations ahead of its time to catch on in OTL but could work well here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austromarxism

When people live close together, they are forced to speak to each other. So no matter how cosmopolitan these cities are, they will need a lingua franca. That could be German or Hungarian. I can't say much more than that since I am deliberately ignoring the politics of a surviving Austria-Hungary. As for the various "nations" of the Empire, I doubt those will ever go away, though they will be less all-important once the majority of the population is urbanized. People will still speak their own languages, even across the official borders of the Empire. But by that point the Empire is so big, cosmopolitan, and economically interdependent, I am having a hard time imagining the whole thing failing.
Let hope we discuss about the Danubian cultures be like In this thread, Fehervari

If you think Flemish-Wallonian beefs is bad then AH part of the Balkan will be the Florida of Europe with all of it weird, hateful and crazy stuff between Croats, Serbs, Bosniaks, Hungarian etc.

I doubt it, Serbs and Croats didn’t hate each other in 1900, the hatred first developed in Yugoslavia, the Bosnian one the other hand were hated by both groups, but the empire kept everything mostly peaceful between these groups, and I see little reason for it to change.

I think that we lacking the discussion of this thread and is that what the Culture of a Survived AH will be look like in the Modern day. I think that’s one of the Most Excellent comment that made by the Gentleman @DocJamore which he made down below that you can read about it. The sad part about this Amazing comment by him is that the Thread about Austria Hungary culture loo like that only has Two replied which is sad.
Thank you for the shoutout!

I wrote that post awhile ago, when I felt there was a problem on this forum of doomsayers coming in and derailing Austria-Hungary threads. Thread derailment felt a lot worse in the past and Austria-Hungary was a common target for some reason I'll never understand. I'm afraid I don't have that much to contribute right now. I am glad though that people find the idea of an surviving and urbanized Austria-Hungary interesting. I am a fan of these threads!

Unless anyone did want to talk about organized labor in Austria-Hungary because I feel that hasn't been talked about enough. I believe that nationalist labor unions would become a major political force by the 1920s or the 1930s. This was already happening in Prague, where there had been a fallout between German and Czech laborers along ethnic lines just before the war so I am certain something similar would be happening across the Empire as it industrializes.

Yet that is exactly how Austria-Hungary functioned
And it was untested against crises of such magnitude.

I doubt it, Serbs and Croats didn’t hate each other in 1900, the hatred first developed in Yugoslavia, the Bosnian one the other hand were hated by both groups, but the empire kept everything mostly peaceful between these groups, and I see little reason for it to change.
Don't forget Hungarians and other minorities. Beefs between ethnic groups might not get as bad as Ireland, but definitely would be bad enough to bog down legislation like in Belgium (and like in pre-war AH IOTL).

Thank you for the shoutout!

I wrote that post awhile ago, when I felt there was a problem on this forum of doomsayers coming in and derailing Austria-Hungary threads. Thread derailment felt a lot worse in the past and Austria-Hungary was a common target for some reason I'll never understand. I'm afraid I don't have that much to contribute right now. I am glad though that people find the idea of an surviving and urbanized Austria-Hungary interesting. I am a fan of these threads!

Unless anyone did want to talk about organized labor in Austria-Hungary because I feel that hasn't been talked about enough. I believe that nationalist labor unions would become a major political force by the 1920s or the 1930s. This was already happening in Prague, where there had been a fallout between German and Czech laborers along ethnic lines just before the war so I am certain something similar would be happening across the Empire as it industrializes.
I also think I want to address in this Thread that surprise no one alking about and that is the Jewish population of a Survive AH and how it will be MASSIVE Percent of the Population. Back when the Austria Hungary was a country on the 1900s they estimate that over 2 Million Jewish subject was under the Habsburg rule and we’re the Largest population of Jews besides only the Russian Empire.

Now OP said that we’re was No WWII meaning No Holocaust either on the Habsburg Jews were sent to Camps to be exterminated meaning that Jews who died by the Nazis will still be living and they had kids into the Generation. I even estimated what the Jewish population will be like in 2019 as OP chose and here is it for all of you in this Thread.

I research to the Jewish from Czech 🇨🇿, Austria 🇦🇹 , Slovak 🇸🇰, Slovene 🇸🇮, Hungary 🇭🇺, Croatia 🇭🇷 and finally Bosnia 🇧🇦 who died during the Holocaust that I estimate the over 945,305 dead Jews in the former AH country (Couldn’t estimated the Jews from Transylvania, Vojvodina and formed Galicia who died there sorry)
9A5D757F-A5AC-4B7B-B91F-80BCD920253D.jpeg
Now I had done estimated of the Jews how many died by the Nazis Genocide and now what the Population of the Jews in Austria-Hungary will look like and finally there is guys!
7DD3FDF4-D7AF-4AF8-A543-07D09D3610E3.jpeg
The results of the Survived Jewish population of the former AH countries into the 2019 is over 3,497,628.3 Jews in the Danubian Federation But we had to realize that another Jewish population of the AH estimate in 1900s of the Jew pop. f about 2 Million.

Now i finally had my final estimate of the Jewish population of a Survived AH in 2019 before 2020 screw everyone up and this is the result
0CD41FAC-86DB-400A-BC5D-4AC836FF3884.jpeg

Now I know that likely Jewish immigration will begin to USA that will lose the of AH but even still that will probably be the Largest European country with a large Jew population beside only Russia (but idk if the Tsar Government will had no Jews no more and maybe even expelled them like Spain or worse)
They will be the second largest countries with a large Jewish population in the TL World cause of No Holocaust and No Israel 🇮🇱 to be honest.
1662614403561.png

1662614426792.png

A0B990B0-D5F2-484C-9804-2383169B5026.jpeg
Those are OTL estimated of the Jewish population across the country around the world and I even will sent a Link of the Wikis of the Jewish population in World mean that if TL AH got Isekai into the OTL world. It will Immediately beat france with the most Jews in Europe and the Third Jewish populated countries of the World.

So guys what do you think of this and my research and results of the Jewish population in AH?

Attachments

• 1662614467069.png
    1662614467069.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Okay Let’s about Organize labor of a survive Austria-Hungary, Mister DocJamore! We already talk about a pandemic Impact on survive Austria-Hungary and how to function, so it not strange to talk about.

Also what do you think about my AH Jewish population estimates DocJamore and Fehervari?

@CASSICTOR2 Sorry, I won't be able to reply in a meaningful manner for a while. I will be away from my PC for about a week.

Let me just say this though: I heavily disagree with the idea of "quarters" for different ethnicities being established within Vienna or other metropolises. It is not only extremely unlikely to happen, but also such kind of segregation would only bring harm.

@CASSICTOR2 Sorry, I won't be able to reply in a meaningful manner for a while. I will be away from my PC for about a week.
All right hope your week will be good for you okay
Let me just say this though: I heavily disagree with the idea of "quarters" for different ethnicities being established within Vienna or other metropolises. It is not only extremely unlikely to happen, but also such kind of segregation would only bring harm.
I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about Jewish population of the empire and what do you think of my resources was good or not

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about Jewish population of the empire and what do you think of my resources was good or not
Your calculations were adequate, but needlessly complicated, imo. It is just easier to make a comparison to already established numbers of this ATL. The 1910 census states there were 2 258 013 israelites living in A-H. Looking at only natural growth, this number by 2019 could jump to 4,5-5 million, but there would be other factors at play too. Maybe it could be argued that israelite immigration from Russia and emigration to other Western countries could cancel each other out, but even then we would still need to consider assimilation. Without the tragedies of OTL, Jewish identity wouldn't experience such a strong and lasting boost ITTL, and therefore people abandoning their faith might be more common. Since a good chunk of the Israelite population was urban, the rise of atheism and non-religiousness should also be considered.

Taken everything into consideration, I think 3-3,5 million would be a reasonable estimate for the Danubian Israelite population in 2019.

Don't forget Hungarians and other minorities. Beefs between ethnic groups might not get as bad as Ireland, but definitely would be bad enough to bog down legislation like in Belgium (and like in pre-war AH IOTL).
Thats........well, actually that's pretty true of Transleithania barring croatia. Yes, the Transleithanian Legislature will be a problem. Cisleithania did not have those problems however. Neither did Croatia and neither did the Bosnia under the Austrians. Hungary, especially, in regards to Slovaks and Romanians will be a very dreggy place, if OTL legislations are any pointer, to the point that Slovak Deputies and Romanian Deputies begged Franz Joseph IOTL to transfer their regions to Cisleithania in 1910 historically.

Why would it be unlikely when that's what happened practically everywhere in this era, from English cities having Irish neighborhoods to Italian neighborhoods in French cities to the endless diversity of ethnic neighborhoods and small towns in the US? I also disagree with the idea it would be necessarily harmful given the examples above tended to assimilate over time to the point, nor is it necessarily segregation since it was generally not a legal matter.