Decisive Darkness: What if Japan hadn't surrendered in 1945?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by The Red, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Drizzly Mary Ordinary Magician

Gensokyo ASR,Union of Pocketverse SocReps
    Beautiful.Looks like something out of a NatGeo supplementary.

Tsar of New Zealand likes this.
  2. Lost Freeway Western Propaganda F***er Banned

Nice map.

3. Asp Well-Known Member

That's beautiful. You could make these things professionally if you don't already

4. generalurist Map Staring Expert

COOL MAP! Heh, guess the "Free" territory ain't that free....

It sounds like the Tokyo government has more solid control in the south than in areas closer to the capitol, oddly enough.

5. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

This is fantastic, thanks so much! :D

6. Grand Prince Paul II. Xenophobic Russian Agent, pro-Europa

Spa├črepublik, EuroReich, Western Eurasia
    Remember the Japanese mass surrender in western Honshu (Nagoya, Kobe, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc.) at the end of the war.
    In central Honshu, more of the IJA went underground.

7. John Farson The Good Man

The cities in this alt-Japan are far smaller than their RL counterparts, with only a handful even having a million or more people to begin with. And the population of the islands themselves are only 2/3 of the RL level.

8. Guardian54 Well-Known Member

Best timeline I've read on this website besides a certain hijack of "What would China ISOT'ed to early 20th century do to Japan" (see my sig, second line).

And I'm still only on page 84!

Drizzly Mary, The Red and Nivek like this.
  9. Theoretical_TJ Well-Known Member

I shuddered when I read about the "private civil defense batallions" - one of possibly the worst anarcho-Libertarian ideas. Ayn Rand was a horrible person and thinker, and her influence is not for the better in TTL.

10. Beedok I exist.

Especially with how terrible Japan's previous civil defense efforts got here...

11. Tsar of New Zealand Has learned the importance of proper stretching Donor

Happy to do it; thank you for writing such a good TL!

Yes, I was quite proud of myself for that one. Even Red was shocked/intrigued. He described the FT to me as something like modern-day southern Nigeria, a massive Lagos where the roads are good, there are a few very wealthy and a few more well-off people, and a vast, toiling underclass of exploited workers living in conditions which would shock Upton Sinclair: private civil defence was the natural extreme in a region prone to disaster.

My own disdain for anarcho-libertarianism may be apparent in the map. I'd apologise, but if I want to avoid looking disingenuous to the Randians there'd need to be a profit motive in it for me. Oh dear.

12. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

It was a great idea, it's the sort of thing I've become quite tempted to expand on since you made the map!

rzheng likes this.
  13. Theoretical_TJ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure being a peasant Feudal Europe or a serf in absolutist Russia was a better (if not much) fate than this part of Japan. It's hard to imagine a more kleptocratic and brutal society than this most Hobbesian calamity.

To imagine what this world is like, just imagine that your choice of law enforcement/local defense was between the Gilded Age Pinkerton Detective Agency, the Barbary Pirates, the 1920s KKK, the Chechen Mafia, the Red Army Fraction, the IRA, and the Taliban.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. Tsar of New Zealand Has learned the importance of proper stretching Donor

Hooray, I'm helping! Not to distract from Our Struggle, but if you did want to take a quick break to write a vignette, I certainly wouldn't complain.

The Red and rzheng like this.
  15. Tsar of New Zealand Has learned the importance of proper stretching Donor

I've considered it, but I've no idea what to charge for that sort of thing. I also feel bad parting fools from their money (and if you're offering me money, you probably are a fool ;)). Mind you, if I could turn a hobby of mine into a few bob...well, we'll see. This was a labour of love, and I think that showed.

On the "plus" side, imagine how Blade Runner Morioka must be!

Asp, rzheng and The Red like this.
  16. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

I wouldn't go that far, it's not a nice place to live for the majority but there is actually a chance to make some money and achieve some level of social mobility. Mind you, the air was probably fresher in feudal Europe.

rzheng likes this.
  17. Tsar of New Zealand Has learned the importance of proper stretching Donor

That's a thought that occurred when researching Japan (a land of which I'm largely ignorant); if Tohoku is renowned IOTL for natural splendour, I wonder how that's fared under the profit motive. Instinct says "poorly," but somebody could have decided to purchase large landholdings to preserve for their beauty. I suppose it's all rather contingent on a benevolent tyranny.

Wait a moment - Japan, anarchocapitalism, deserted wildernesses made-to-order, vast population desperate to advance their situations/with nothing left to lose - could this be Battle Royale?

Timaeus, skaven, rzheng and 2 others like this.
  18. Theoretical_TJ Well-Known Member

I was only referring to the anarchist Hell, not Japan as a whole.

rzheng likes this.
  19. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

Even Kleptocrats can appreciate natural beauty, although they also like golf courses and gaudy mansions so it's hard to tell how much of the landscape would really be 'saved'.

I imagine that even the Free Territory would draw the line at that! Imagine televising it for free...

20. The Red A virulent, ignorant bigot

Oh I know you were, but people in the Republic would still likely be drawn to it. A lot of the problems in the south are associated with bureaucracy and corruption which the Free Territory is seen as lacking. Even though most people living there aren't massively better off the clear signs of wealth will always work as a pull factor.