Decades of Darkness

Kaiser, the time has come for me to engage in discussion on certain points.

...Grimm relaxes, pulls on rubber gloves, rests hands next to thumb screws...

Argentina: Where are they in this situation? Surely they have become closer to England given Brazil's rise, and would they not be able to mitigate any grain shortages?

USA: Exactly what percentage of the population is free, or free enough, to actually be considered for military service?

Japan: Another British ally which should be available for support. And given that their involvment in Hawaii suggests military/industrial development at least 15 years ahead of OTL...

Australia: You reported over 50 million people in the mid 20th century, so surely they have sufficient manpower to match the donatives for WWI. In fact, shouldn't they, along with the South American allies and perhaps Japan take care of Brazil?

Russia: The behavior seems far too blatant for the time. In return for gains they would like to have soon, they have...well, let's just hope they don't find themselves in need of benevolent neutrality or even honest neutrality from London or its many allies the next time the Germans start licking their lips at the sight of Poland(Say, the next 40 years). Also, mightn't meddling in Turkey be liable to get the German states interested in the Balkans?

Naval matters: It appears that the submarine may be early, but given the British/New England advantage of nearly 3:2, not counting Japan and this ATL's commonwealth...

What you need is some obscure Polish Jew specializing in finance getting the war predicted properly IN ADVANCE, and being ignored if not ridiculed. How fortunate such strangeness would never occur in our OTL. ;)

I have to say that Russia pulling this on Britain isn't exactly the wisest choice at this time.....

If Britain wins, it would bite them in the ass.....

Grimm Reaper said:
Kaiser, the time has come for me to engage in discussion on certain points.

...Grimm relaxes, pulls on rubber gloves, rests hands next to thumb screws...

Argentina: Where are they in this situation? Surely they have become closer to England given Brazil's rise, and would they not be able to mitigate any grain shortages?

Argentina is reasonably close to Britain, yes, and they have some increased grain harvests over OTL. The problem is that even if every bushel of wheat Argentina produced went to Britain (unlikely), and even allowing for increased production over OTL due to the greater population, it just isn't enough. In OTL, Britain was importing close to 190 million bushels of wheat (and various other food crops too). Argentina produce 30 million bushels, and even if this is 35-40 million bushels ITTL, that still leaves a rather empty hole in British stomachs.

USA: Exactly what percentage of the population is free, or free enough, to actually be considered for military service?

Roughly two-thirds, or a little bit under, of the US population is free. They can, however, mobilise a higher proportion of their free population because much of the essential agriculture and industry is being performed by indentured labour. At a pinch, they could free some peons to perform military duties (probably support troops rather than front-line, for the obvious security reasons) - peons do get freed from time to time.

Japan: Another British ally which should be available for support. And given that their involvment in Hawaii suggests military/industrial development at least 15 years ahead of OTL...

Japan is, so far, sitting on their hands. Their deployment to Hawaii was really stretching their naval capacity (it involved a few British supply ships), and would have been suicide against a few naval vessels. Japan is still dominated by the Genro who are on the whole quite conservative and won't risk Japan in a war unless they're fairly sure they'll win. They're more concerned by Russia than the USA, as a matter of fact.

Australia: You reported over 50 million people in the mid 20th century, so surely they have sufficient manpower to match the donatives for WWI. In fact, shouldn't they, along with the South American allies and perhaps Japan take care of Brazil?

Australia has somewhere between 10 and 15 million people in 1905. So yes, they will contribute more than they did in WW1 in OTL. But the most likely options are deployment to the defence of Colombia et al. The South American allies are largely deployed in defensive positions, because they are afraid of losing any territory to US rule, and their force projection capabilities are... low. But expect Australian troops to show up in numbers on one front or another.

Brazil, at the moment, is neutral, so starting a war with them would be an interesting exercise in widening the war.

Russia: The behavior seems far too blatant for the time.

An embargo isn't a declaration of war, and is an accepted tool of diplomacy at the time.

In return for gains they would like to have soon, they have...well, let's just hope they don't find themselves in need of benevolent neutrality or even honest neutrality from London or its many allies the next time the Germans start licking their lips at the sight of Poland(Say, the next 40 years).

At the moment, Germany and Britain are already allies, albeit reluctant ones. (British actions during the Boer War left a lot of German people and some of their leaders VERY unhappy). Russia's government takes the view that Britain is hostile to them anyway (which it is, in fact), so for a relatively low-risk embargo, they'll see what they can squeeze.

Poland, incidentally, is already German-ruled. The Tsar expects that Germany has taken as much land as it wants (which it pretty much has) and that unless he actually starts a war with Britain, Germany will just sit it out.

Also, mightn't meddling in Turkey be liable to get the German states interested in the Balkans?

Not any more than they already are - most of the Balkan states already have German princes.

Naval matters: It appears that the submarine may be early, but given the British/New England advantage of nearly 3:2, not counting Japan and this ATL's commonwealth...

There are other factors at work here, not least that any British operations in the Caribbean will be at the end of a very long supply line. Finding enough coal could be a severe problem. Not to mention potential differences in gunnery tactics and powder. (Cf. Russia vs Japan, Tsushima Straits, or Britain vs. Germany, Jutland).

What you need is some obscure Polish Jew specializing in finance getting the war predicted properly IN ADVANCE, and being ignored if not ridiculed. How fortunate such strangeness would never occur in our OTL. ;)

Hmm, did you have a name in mind? :)

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Bulgaroktonos said:
I have to say that Russia pulling this on Britain isn't exactly the wisest choice at this time.....

If Britain wins, it would bite them in the ass.....

It's not entirely prudent, but governments have occasionally be known to make moves which aren't entirely in their favour. :D Still, the Tsar figures that Britain already hates Russia (which is true), and wonders what else are they going to do which is worse than what they've already done, viz, hem Russia in from Turkey to China? Of course, he also thinks that the USA will win, which is a more open question.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Food shortage...

If your positing that Britain willingly goes to war knowing in advance that food supplies will be a problem...then I have to severely disagree....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! This is a colonial possession of dubious value.....

Yes, the allies want to make a point...But the British will not risk instability on the home front unless their assets or interests closer to home are at stake. That is not the case....

They will cave in meekly at the last minute and avert the war....but it will be an incident that they will remember and they will quietly assemble an array of allies to better prepare for the next incident ... sure to arise (hmm...Costa Rica?) that will most assuredly destroy this US of A. as a power on the world stage. The lesson of being caught so short sighted will not be repeated.

No...the Brits will have prepared for this eventuality...there will be no food shortages if the Brits go to war, unless it lasts a very long time. If the allies go to war it is because they believe they can win...or that they will not be too severely damaged ( and thats all of them). Otherwise some of them will opt out and that makes the whole proposition just too risky to chance the winds of fate.

AuroraBorealis said:
If your positing that Britain willingly goes to war knowing in advance that food supplies will be a problem...

They don't know, not for sure. Some of the British government leaders thought Russia might make some noise; some didn't. They didn't expect an immediate embargo (even the Foreign Secretary, Vickers, only thought that they Russia would do something), and they weren't thinking of grain in particular, they were imagining hordes of Russians pouring into Turkey and China and through the Khyber Pass into India (a common British dread, despite the fact that the logistics were impossible).

then I have to severely disagree....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! This is a colonial possession of dubious value.....

This is weird, I'm getting some people telling me no way would Britain back down, and others telling me no way they wouldn't...

The way I look at things is like this:

In the pre-WW1 era, nations were much more willing to go to war over slights against their interests. For example, the various Moroccan crises, which nearly caused *WW1 early - they were resolved, but it could have easily led to war. British Honduras might not be worth much, but that doesn't mean that a British government will stand idly by and let nations get away with removing their colonial possessions by force or threat of force. (Which applies even more recently, e.g. the Falklands). There is also, of course, the fond British belief that even if they have problems at the start of a war, somehow they will muddle through (which, historically, they usually did).

Yes, the allies want to make a point...But the British will not risk instability on the home front unless their assets or interests closer to home are at stake. That is not the case....

This is British soil being threatened with annexation at gunpoint by slaveholding expansionists. The vital British interest is assuring British subjects across the globe that they won't be sold out. If they sell British Honduras out today, whats to stop them selling out part of China or India or Australia tomorrow? (This would change if they were already at war, of course, but that's another story.

They will cave in meekly at the last minute and avert the war....but it will be an incident that they will remember and they will quietly assemble an array of allies to better prepare for the next incident ...

The problem is that they've just lost their credibility. "Don't worry Costa Rica, we won't sell you out like we did our own citizens". Sure, Costa Rica may listen to them, but it may not, too. Also, don't underestimate the sense of national pride.

sure to arise (hmm...Costa Rica?) that will most assuredly destroy this US of A. as a power on the world stage. The lesson of being caught so short sighted will not be repeated.

It might, but it might also encourage other nations to think that Britain was weak and not worth listening to, and/or should be ganged up on, rather than joining forces with.

No...the Brits will have prepared for this eventuality...there will be no food shortages if the Brits go to war, unless it lasts a very long time.

Preparing for a food shortage is actually extremely difficult and expensive (grain silos of the time were rather pricey), and government intervention in such areas pre-war ran dead against the free trade, non-government-intervention attitude of the era.

If the allies go to war it is because they believe they can win...

France and Britain in September 1939 weren't at all sure that they could win, but they went ahead and declared war anyway. They did try appeasement first, but this was after the experience of WW1, not before. The impact that war had on their willingness to go to war is hard to overstate. Before WW1, nations were more than ready to go to war against those who threatened their interests.

or that they will not be too severely damaged ( and thats all of them). Otherwise some of them will opt out and that makes the whole proposition just too risky to chance the winds of fate.

Don't underestimate the effect of jingoistic nationalism. Again, think of the Falklands... if Thatcher had backed down over them, what do you think would have been the reaction in the country and in the Parliament? And the final outcome notwithstanding, the Falklands War was a very dicey enterprise...

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

The Kaiser is right. Britain would never back down. Hell, they nearly went to war because a bunch of Frenchmen came out of the desert and claimed Sudan. That was all a big mistake, this is blatant aggression......

As for Germany vis a vis Russia.....Only a blind, semi-retarded Germany is going to sit by and let Russia starve Britain. Germany is not going to want to see Britain beaten up by the US as her population starves and Britain is forced to cave. Without Britain, Germany's situation on the Continent gets worse very quickly.

Whether that means war with Russia and Germany, or Russia caving to pressure from Germany, I do not know. But I don't see the embargo against Britain continuing outside the event of war w/Russia, for the reasons here and above.

Bulgaroktonos said:
As for Germany vis a vis Russia.....Only a blind, semi-retarded Germany is going to sit by and let Russia starve Britain. Germany is not going to want to see Britain beaten up by the US as her population starves and Britain is forced to cave. Without Britain, Germany's situation on the Continent gets worse very quickly.

Whether that means war with Russia and Germany, or Russia caving to pressure from Germany, I do not know. But I don't see the embargo against Britain continuing outside the event of war w/Russia, for the reasons here and above.

Germany's political situation in 1905 could best be described as confused. Bismarck is dead, and there's divided voices throughout the Reich and especially within its Diet as to the best foreign policy. Some see Britain as a rival, especially after the Boer War. If Russia threatened war on Britain over Turkey, then that would create enough consensus that Germany would probably declare war too, or at least threaten it and get Russia to back off. Otherwise, they're likely to let Russia squeeze Britain, at least for a while.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Neroon

Banned
I don't want everyone here ganging up on me, but it seems you all are overestimating the importance food from Russia has for Britain. Now i don't know the actual demographics here i must admit. But looking at the map i see that Britain can import food easily enough from Germany, France, etc. and the other neutral European nations. Plus pretty much all of her colonies in Asia and Africa. Even assuming the U.S. having OTLs WW1 submarine technology, they wont have the range to intercept shipments from there (from colonies to Suez to Gibraltar then north).

Neroon said:
I don't want everyone here ganging up on me, but it seems you all are overestimating the importance food from Russia has for Britain. Now i don't know the actual demographics here i must admit. But looking at the map i see that Britain can import food easily enough from Germany, France, etc. and the other neutral European nations. Plus pretty much all of her colonies in Asia and Africa.

Its not so much whether Britain can ship it (although I suspect that they can), but whether the grain is available to buy in the first place.

In 1900 in OTL, the total world exports of wheat were ~500 million bushels. 240 million bushels of wheat came from the USA. 100 million came from Russia. (I don't have precise figures for the rest, but France was third). Britain imported 190 million bushels of wheat in 1900. Even if they buy every other bushel of wheat exported anywhere in the world, that only leaves 160 million bushels for them to find. And I doubt that they'll get it all, since other nations will be bidding for it too. Belgium, Switzerland and Italy were all significant wheat importers in OTL, too (although Russia will sell most of its wheat to them if Britain is embargoed; they still need to sell it somewhere).

So... 'hunger' is a good description of Britain's situation if Russia holds the embargo. This doesn't mean that they can't take steps (ramping up potato production would be an obvious start, despite the class prejudices against it). But it will be a hindrance, all the same.

Assuming the U.S. having OTLs WW1 submarine technology, they wont have the range to intercept shipments from there (from colonies to Suez to Gibraltar then north).

Barring American basing of submarines in Portugal (unlikely, although the two countries are historical allies), the sea routes to Britain are safe from submarines, although not from surface commerce raiders. Any U.S. use of submarines will be to cut off New England, not Britain.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Neroon

Banned
Live and learn i guess. :)
Well i'd still hold that with the U.S. and Britains pre-war relations not exactly the same as in OTL they'd already have started tapping into other food sources and not been throwing all their eggs into the Russian basket. What about rice from Asia for example? Safe sea lanes and rice is extremely nourishing on a nourishment to weight/volume ratio.

Trying to cut off Canada/New England is the obvious U.S. naval strategy since they don't really have any sea lanes of their own to protect (no long ones that is) and can throw almost everything they have there. Unless the U.S. just puts all its ships in one big fleet to confront the British and its allies in one big battle we'll see a lot of small scale raiding and stuff that i have no clue about how it'll work out. But musing about it gave me an interesting and kinda amusing idea:
What about with the sea war in the North Atlantic in a kinda stalemate we could see lot of German trade with Canada/New England who need to import well lots of stuff and no blockade in place, merely raiding with lots of submarines involved therin. Which in turn might lead to a Lutsiana style incident in reverse :D .
Britain due to its proximity to Germany had a huge advantage in the Propaganda war and next to Russia Germany is the most important neutral nation. So any thoughts about Field Marshall Moltke leading an expeditionary force to make the world "Safe for monarchy" some time in say 1909?

Neroon said:
Live and learn i guess. :)
Well i'd still hold that with the U.S. and Britains pre-war relations not exactly the same as in OTL they'd already have started tapping into other food sources and not been throwing all their eggs into the Russian basket. What about rice from Asia for example? Safe sea lanes and rice is extremely nourishing on a nourishment to weight/volume ratio.

If they want rice pre-war, its cheaper coming from the USA anyway, oddly enough. There's still a remnant rice industry there in Georgia and South Carolina. But I suspect that large imports of rice would be difficult without starving the people in East Asia - I'm not sure if there was a large surplus there. And the free trade mentality still held in Britain, in large part - don't buy more expensive food for no reason. But there may be some of it.

Trying to cut off Canada/New England is the obvious U.S. naval strategy since they don't really have any sea lanes of their own to protect (no long ones that is) and can throw almost everything they have there.

There is the Caribbean, a bit - the USA would really hate to lose territory there. But while I expect Britain to raid, and maybe even try to take some of the smaller Caribbean islands for bargaining chips, the pressure to keep the sea lanes open to New England and Canada is almost irresistable.

Unless the U.S. just puts all its ships in one big fleet to confront the British and its allies in one big battle we'll see a lot of small scale raiding and stuff that i have no clue about how it'll work out.

There will certainly be a lot of small-scale raiding in the early stages, with ships showing up all over the place. The Colombian and Venezuelan coasts, for instance, are likely to be prime targets. But there will be a major naval battle coming up soon. I didn't even pre-determine a result for it when I was outlining this sequence about eighteen months ago - I just assigned probabilities to victory from each side (more weighted to the Allies, of course) and used dice to work out which side won, and by how much. The result was... decisive.

But musing about it gave me an interesting and kinda amusing idea:
What about with the sea war in the North Atlantic in a kinda stalemate we could see lot of German trade with Canada/New England who need to import well lots of stuff and no blockade in place, merely raiding with lots of submarines involved therin. Which in turn might lead to a Lutsiana style incident in reverse :D .

Certainly a tempting thought, although if there was a Lusitania incident then Mitchell would back off. He's a bastard in many ways, but not a complete fool.

Britain due to its proximity to Germany had a huge advantage in the Propaganda war and next to Russia Germany is the most important neutral nation. So any thoughts about Field Marshall Moltke leading an expeditionary force to make the world "Safe for monarchy" some time in say 1909?

The main German attitude is 'a plague on both your houses'. The USA is seen as less nice, but its a long way away. Britain is closer, but is disliked for the Boer War. Unless it looks like the balance of power is being disturbed in a major way (e.g. Russia starting an outright invasion of Turkey, as opposed to embargos and suchlike), then Germany is unlikely to bestir itself. Visions of casualties in the tens or even hundreds of thousands, as the newspapers will be reporting, will make them less keen to join in, although it may well lead to a German attempt to impose mediation to stop the carnage.

Hmm, German peacekeepers on the Delaware to guard the post-war border?

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

This is not mean't to be a ganging up on you but....

Anglo - American Animosity in TTL is not new.....The British will be keenly aware of their vulnerabilities with respect to a potential war with the Americans and taken steps, probably well before the election of Mitchell, to deal with this eventuality.

They would have reduced their dependence on American supplies well before this for a start. Obviously, the US cannot be totally replaced though, thus Diplomatic avenues would have been pursued to deal with this eventuality in the event of war.

With the election of Mitchell it would have become the equivalent of a diplomatic full court press, in the various capitals of Europe to make sure that Britain can ensure its supplies from alternative 3rd countries. Their own supplies or them buying the grain elsewhere and then reselling to Britain.

You will have to remind me again exactly what the diplomatic situation in Europe is at this time and where the major players have aligned. You have already stated that their is essentially an alignment of Germany and Britain but relations are strained over the Boer war. I suspect though that Germany ITTL needs Britain in the same way that Germany needed A-H in OTL. They are their only reliable Ally and they cannot afford to abandon them or they will have no ally when they need them.

British diplomacy will most certainly have determined by now what concessions would be necessary to ensure the supply of grain from Russia in the event of War with the US of A. They will also have determined what the Germans are likely to have tolerated in that regard. They will most certainly have determined what concessions would be necessary for Germany to declare war on Russia if the Russian demands are excessive. A Russian embargo for instance would be an act of war in light of Britain's vulnerability in a war with the US. Even if undeclared, every other European state would see this action for what it was and act accordingly.

There are only a few realistic ways for the Br. Honduras incident to progress....

1. Britain caves and agrees to sell their interests there to the US because they cannot avoid the consequences at home. Diplomacy is a two way street.....If the Germans are unwilling to go to war with Russia if Russia embargoes Britain then Britain will lose its leverage with Russia to prevent such an embargo. Britain will have no choice to back down. We have sufficient precedent from our OTL to support this view.....
Fashoda...and the 2nd Balkan War of 1912.

2. War occurs, but it is limited to the Americas, food supply is not an issue
because adequate supplies are available from Russia or 3rd countries.

3. A General European War will be an outgrowth of the incident the moment Russia decides to embargo Britain.

General European War....

if General European War results.....Japan will not be idle....they will be active against the American interests in the Pacific and their allies where they are vulnerable.

AuroraBorealis said:
This is not mean't to be a ganging up on you but....

Anglo - American Animosity in TTL is not new.....The British will be keenly aware of their vulnerabilities with respect to a potential war with the Americans and taken steps, probably well before the election of Mitchell, to deal with this eventuality.

Animosity isn't new, but outright war is. The USA has, since 1837, backed away from war with Britain rather than pushing for it. This included abandoning filibuster attempts on *Hawaii, for example. The question is whether this would trump free trade, which was a pillar of British policy throughout the later half of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth. I'm suspecting not.

They would have reduced their dependence on American supplies well before this for a start. Obviously, the US cannot be totally replaced though, thus Diplomatic avenues would have been pursued to deal with this eventuality in the event of war.

Not all politicians have an intuitive grasp of logistics...

More seriously, there weren't that many alternatives to American grain. Not without abandoning free trade or massive government intervention. Even then, the necessary building of silos (about the only option) would have taken a lot of time - yes, more than 4 years to get the necessary storage facilities and have the grain to put in them.

With the election of Mitchell it would have become the equivalent of a diplomatic full court press, in the various capitals of Europe to make sure that Britain can ensure its supplies from alternative 3rd countries. Their own supplies or them buying the grain elsewhere and then reselling to Britain.

I am expecting Britain to do some of that. ("Leakage" is the usual term when applied to embargos). But given the agricultural technology of the time, there simply aren't that many other places to buy from besides the USA and Russia. No-one else has the necessary surpluses.

You will have to remind me again exactly what the diplomatic situation in Europe is at this time and where the major players have aligned. You have already stated that their is essentially an alignment of Germany and Britain but relations are strained over the Boer war. I suspect though that Germany ITTL needs Britain in the same way that Germany needed A-H in OTL. They are their only reliable Ally and they cannot afford to abandon them or they will have no ally when they need them.

Britain and Germany were the big winners in Napoleonic Wars II, and have since had something of a falling out. France was a big loser and has for now given up on the military game... its army is geared for defence but it isn't doing any big posturing. Russia is more of a rival of Britain than of Germany. Most of the rest of Europe either dances to Germany's tune (Italy, the Balkans) or is strictly neutral and isn't threatening anyone (Scandinavia). The Iberian Peninsula is divided and not full of nations looking to start wars.

The short version is that Germany will back Britain in some circumstances, but it would depend exactly what Russia does. Yes, an overt declaration of war would bring a German response. Squeezing them for concessions over Turkey, most likely not.

British diplomacy will most certainly have determined by now what concessions would be necessary to ensure the supply of grain from Russia in the event of War with the US of A. They will also have determined what the Germans are likely to have tolerated in that regard.

They will find out quite quickly what Russian demands are, but remember that Russia isn't even a major supplier of grain to Britain at the moment. (Most British grain came from North America, Russian grain tended to go to countries around the Med). What Russia is effectively saying is 'you're at war, fine, but we won't bail you out by selling grain to you'.

They will most certainly have determined what concessions would be necessary for Germany to declare war on Russia if the Russian demands are excessive.

This is difficult, since Germany doesn't have a unified diplomatic voice at the moment. The Holy Roman Emperor has different views on where things should go from what the Diet has. The one thing Britain can count on is that a DoW from Russia would be followed by one from Germany on Russia. Past that... not much.

A Russian embargo for instance would be an act of war in light of Britain's vulnerability in a war with the US.

An embargo isn't an act of war, and would not be considered at the time (or today, come to that) as a legitimate causus belli. Any more than the American embargos of Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars were treated as acts of war.

Even if undeclared, every other European state would see this action for what it was and act accordingly.

They would indeed see it for what it is, taking advantage of a distracted opponent. That doesn't mean that they'd treat it as a DoW, because it isn't.

There are only a few realistic ways for the Br. Honduras incident to progress....

1. Britain caves and agrees to sell their interests there to the US because they cannot avoid the consequences at home. Diplomacy is a two way street.....If the Germans are unwilling to go to war with Russia if Russia embargoes Britain then Britain will lose its leverage with Russia to prevent such an embargo. Britain will have no choice to back down. We have sufficient precedent from our OTL to support this view.....
Fashoda...and the 2nd Balkan War of 1912.

Britain didn't back down during Fashoda. France did. Britain would most likely have gone to war if pushed far enough.

2. War occurs, but it is limited to the Americas, food supply is not an issue
because adequate supplies are available from Russia or 3rd countries.

I'd put 2b in here: War occurs and is limited to the Americas, while Britain is forced to make concessions to Russia. As I've said previously in this thread, Russia is not pushing for war, but seeing how much they can squeeze Britain for. "Concessions as the price of neutrality" are a familiar concept in diplomacy of the period.

3. A General European War will be an outgrowth of the incident the moment Russia decides to embargo Britain.

I disagree with this, for the reasons given above. A general European war would result from a Russian invasion of Turkey, not from an embargo.

if General European War results.....Japan will not be idle....they will be active against the American interests in the Pacific and their allies where they are vulnerable.

If there is a general European war, and Britain and Germany were on the same side against Russia, then I'd agree that Japan would join in. If it's just Britain against the USA, then no, I don't see it. Too little to gain and too much risk if they lose.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Kaiser Wilhelm III said:
Animosity isn't new, but outright war is. The USA has, since 1837, backed away from war with Britain rather than pushing for it. This included abandoning filibuster attempts on *Hawaii, for example. The question is whether this would trump free trade, which was a pillar of British policy throughout the later half of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth. I'm suspecting not.

Not all politicians have an intuitive grasp of logistics...

More seriously, there weren't that many alternatives to American grain. Not without abandoning free trade or massive government intervention. Even then, the necessary building of silos (about the only option) would have taken a lot of time - yes, more than 4 years to get the necessary storage facilities and have the grain to put in them.

I am expecting Britain to do some of that. ("Leakage" is the usual term when applied to embargos). But given the agricultural technology of the time, there simply aren't that many other places to buy from besides the USA and Russia. No-one else has the necessary surpluses.

Britain and Germany were the big winners in Napoleonic Wars II, and have since had something of a falling out. France was a big loser and has for now given up on the military game... its army is geared for defence but it isn't doing any big posturing. Russia is more of a rival of Britain than of Germany. Most of the rest of Europe either dances to Germany's tune (Italy, the Balkans) or is strictly neutral and isn't threatening anyone (Scandinavia). The Iberian Peninsula is divided and not full of nations looking to start wars.

The short version is that Germany will back Britain in some circumstances, but it would depend exactly what Russia does. Yes, an overt declaration of war would bring a German response. Squeezing them for concessions over Turkey, most likely not.

They will find out quite quickly what Russian demands are, but remember that Russia isn't even a major supplier of grain to Britain at the moment. (Most British grain came from North America, Russian grain tended to go to countries around the Med). What Russia is effectively saying is 'you're at war, fine, but we won't bail you out by selling grain to you'.

This is difficult, since Germany doesn't have a unified diplomatic voice at the moment. The Holy Roman Emperor has different views on where things should go from what the Diet has. The one thing Britain can count on is that a DoW from Russia would be followed by one from Germany on Russia. Past that... not much.

An embargo isn't an act of war, and would not be considered at the time (or today, come to that) as a legitimate causus belli. Any more than the American embargos of Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars were treated as acts of war.

They would indeed see it for what it is, taking advantage of a distracted opponent. That doesn't mean that they'd treat it as a DoW, because it isn't.

Britain didn't back down during Fashoda. France did. Britain would most likely have gone to war if pushed far enough.

I'd put 2b in here: War occurs and is limited to the Americas, while Britain is forced to make concessions to Russia. As I've said previously in this thread, Russia is not pushing for war, but seeing how much they can squeeze Britain for. "Concessions as the price of neutrality" are a familiar concept in diplomacy of the period.

I disagree with this, for the reasons given above. A general European war would result from a Russian invasion of Turkey, not from an embargo.

If there is a general European war, and Britain and Germany were on the same side against Russia, then I'd agree that Japan would join in. If it's just Britain against the USA, then no, I don't see it. Too little to gain and too much risk if they lose.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Suffice it to say then that we will disagree on this point.... the Political situation in East Asia would be of interest then at this point....OTL this is the time of the Russo-Japanese War...Iwould expect that Japan would be pressing to make gains in Korea and Manchuria at the expense of Russia. Is that the case in TTL.

There are points in the earliest part of your timeline which I thought Highly unlikely but at least they were in the realm of possibility....This is now getting way out there in fantasy land. Only option 1 that I outlined above is likely then under the scenario that you are setting up. this is post 1900 afterall. The Brits will not be drawn into a colonial dispute that they have no hope of winning, or winning only at the cost of irreparable damage at home. The British politicians of this timeperiod are not that stupid....no matter what point has to be made.

This is your TL of course so you can obviously write it any way you like....
but I am seriously doubting its plausibility at this point.

If nothing else, hey...there are PoD's from this TL that can be explooited for another ATL.... DoD lite.....

AuroraBorealis said:
Brits will not be drawn into a colonial dispute that they have no hope of winning, or winning only at the cost of irreparable damage at home. The British politicians of this timeperiod are not that stupid....no matter what point has to be made.

For Britain to back down in this situation is like the United States going to the USSR in 1948 or 1961, "Yeah, go ahead, take Berlin." Chances are we wouldn't let the Soviets have it without a fight. On that same token, Britain is not going to let the US have their colonies. As KWIII said, it will totally discredit them, and nobody will trust them. They have no real choice other than to say no. I don't think they are going to even attempt to save Br. Honduras, as they can't do anything to save it, but will rather seek to destroy the US Atlantic Fleet, take the Caribbean, and shell the coast of the United States. Furthermore, I would expect the Royal Navy to be able to almost completely shut down all international commerce going to the US, as they have far superior force projection, and I would expect a blockade.

Perhaps Britain's best course of action would be to refuse Russia's demands. If snubbed hard and blatantly enough, Russia might well declare war on Britain. This would create the situation in which Germany declares war on Russia, as does Japan.......

AuroraBorealis said:
Suffice it to say then that we will disagree on this point.... the Political situation in East Asia would be of interest then at this point....OTL this is the time of the Russo-Japanese War...Iwould expect that Japan would be pressing to make gains in Korea and Manchuria at the expense of Russia. Is that the case in TTL.

Japan has Korea and parts of China. They would certainly like to make some gains at the expense of Russia, but the Russians are in a stronger position in the Far East than they were in OTL. They've been entrenched in China (well, with the Qing allies/puppets) for longer and would be harder to dig out. Of course, if Russia ends up at war in Europe, I'd certainly expect Japan to join in then.

There are points in the earliest part of your timeline which I thought Highly unlikely but at least they were in the realm of possibility....

I'd consider the secession of New England itself to be low-probability - not impossible, but requires some considerable bungling by Madison to bring off. Mind you, I also think Madison was singularly capable of such bungling, but thats another story. But just out of interest, which are parts did you think highly unlikely?

This is now getting way out there in fantasy land. Only option 1 that I outlined above is likely then under the scenario that you are setting up. this is post 1900 afterall. The Brits will not be drawn into a colonial dispute that they have no hope of winning, or winning only at the cost of irreparable damage at home.

While you're welcome to your opinion, I would like to point out that this is not *just* a colonial war. This is a USA which is itching for a fight to attack major British interests (Canada, British Caribbean, and valuable British allies). Nor does Britain have no hope of winning, and the damage on the home front won't be irreperable. Even at the worst, tt will be several orders of magnitude worse than what Britain suffered in WW2, and that didn't stop Britain going to war then.

The British politicians of this timeperiod are not that stupid....no matter what point has to be made.

You're crediting Britain with incredible levels of foresight here, and also overestimating the problem they're in, food-wise.

In 1901, Mitchell takes office. In about 1902, he starts making threatening noises, unlike any U.S. President for the last sixty years or so. That doesn't mean that he'll try to starve Britain out; its a reasonable expectation that the USA will continue trading grain with neutrals of which Britain will be able to buy a fair percentage. (Which is, in fact, what will happen ITTL, by the way). It does mean that its time to start increasing defence production, particularly of dreadnoughts, which Britain has done. It doesn't mean that they automatically think that Russia will join in. It also doesn't mean that Britain thinks that if they do threaten to join in, that they can't reasonably expect that they can negotiate with Russia then.

But they can't realistically try to work out what concessions will satisfy Russia in advance, because the answer is obvious: Russia will push for as much as they can get away with. You can't ask what will satisfy them, because every concession you do make will encourage them to ask for something bigger. Even if they reached an informal agreement with Russia in 1903 over grain, there's nothing whatsoever to stop Russia from pushing further in 1905 anyway. All the Tsar needs to say is that he believes the American claims of Britain smuggling guns into the USA and illegitimate occupation of American soil are valid, and this is the excuse for the embargo.

This is your TL of course so you can obviously write it any way you like....
but I am seriously doubting its plausibility at this point.

I'll say it again: Britain did not back down over Fashoda. France did. Britain would have been willing to go to war over the incident if necessary. I think you're seriously underestimating the pre-WW1 level of willingness of nations to go to war, and what they regard as their vital interests.

And let me add: I'm not expecting Britain to be brought to its knees, or even suffer major damage, due to the grain embargo. It will require some careful diplomacy and some concessions to Russia, but not starvation in Britain. I wrote the incident in because I thought it highly implausible that Russia wouldn't try to take advantage of a distracted Britain. It doesn't mean I'm expected millions of starving Britons.

If nothing else, hey...there are PoD's from this TL that can be explooited for another ATL.... DoD lite.....

Wait until you see post #111a, Kings Gambit Accepted (coming soon), and tell me if you think the situation as depicted is still implausible. I can and haved retconned events in the TL if I am convinced that they were implausible. The entire business with Russia is, frankly, window-dressing as far as the events of the TL are concerned. It was written to add flavour, not to create a decisive effect in history. It won't break Britain, and it will at most give Russia marginally greater influence.

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Bulgaroktonos said:
For Britain to back down in this situation is like the United States going to the USSR in 1948 or 1961, "Yeah, go ahead, take Berlin." Chances are we wouldn't let the Soviets have it without a fight. On that same token, Britain is not going to let the US have their colonies. As KWIII said, it will totally discredit them, and nobody will trust them. They have no real choice other than to say no.

What I find ironically amusing is that there are people telling me that having Britain back down in any way, shape or form would be fantasy-level implausibility, and there are also people telling me that Britain NOT backing down would be fantasy-level implausibility. Go figure.

I don't think they are going to even attempt to save Br. Honduras, as they can't do anything to save it, but will rather seek to destroy the US Atlantic Fleet, take the Caribbean, and shell the coast of the United States. Furthermore, I would expect the Royal Navy to be able to almost completely shut down all international commerce going to the US, as they have far superior force projection, and I would expect a blockade.

The British have awkward supply lines and maybe not enough naval capacity to blockade all of the USA, but they can certainly intercept most American commerce going to Europe, which is after all where the main trading will be.

Perhaps Britain's best course of action would be to refuse Russia's demands. If snubbed hard and blatantly enough, Russia might well declare war on Britain. This would create the situation in which Germany declares war on Russia, as does Japan.......

In Britain's shoes, I'd grant the Russians some minor concessions, while getting Germany onside to make sure that Russia understands it will mean war if they push too hard. Problem solved. Now we just need to deal with these perfidious Jackals across the Atlantic...

Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III

Kaiser, I'm starting to get a feel for where this is going.

So, after the Allied Powers crushing victory over the Evil Amerikans, what will they demand as spoils?

Restore parts of Mexico as an independent nation? Perhaps Mexico City and southern portions.

Award Pennsylvania to New England, and Oregon to Canada?

Bar the US from the British Caribbean Province(all of it)?

Worse?!? Make all Americans drink tea?!? :eek:

Wait, I was just reviewing some recent posts, and I suddenly realized there existed an vaguely ominous cloud over England...,...you aren't expecting England to lose?!?

AIGH!!! :eek:

Last edited: