Decades of Darkness Kingdom of Ireland Flag

Which version of this Flag is better?

• Number 1

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Number 2

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'ts probably already been done, but I just made a quick mockup based on the descrpition in the World Factbook entry for the Kingdom in DoD Interlude #2, the only difference between the two is a darker shade of green on one of them, but I'm not sure which one looks better:
DoD Irish Flags.PNG

DoD Irish Flags.PNG

Thande

Donor
Although I think 1 is closer to the OTL shade of green on the Green Ensign, 2 looks a better contrast to me.

2 is a horrible contrast. If I squint, the red goes away.

That said, unless the DoD KoI is big on colourblind rights, go for it. ;)

Yeah.

This is a English kingdom in Ireland right?
AFAIK, in DoD, Ireland is granted Kingdom status within the Empire, with it's own monarch, and self rule over most internal matters, but with the UK handling most foreign policy and the like.

AFAIK, in DoD, Ireland is granted Kingdom status within the Empire, with it's own monarch, and self rule over most internal matters, but with the UK handling most foreign policy and the like.

The British empire?
So I guess the harp is fine then ;)

Though it is possible that blue is never replaced by green as the Irish color since the POD is back before this change (this is still carried over into the President's flag, which is the harp on a blue background), I think Number 2 looks the best.

Thande

Donor
Though it is possible that blue is never replaced by green as the Irish color since the POD is back before this change (this is still carried over into the President's flag, which is the harp on a blue background), I think Number 2 looks the best.
It's more complicated than that, green has a long history as being a "Catholic" colour in Ireland but I believe the blue originally comes from the flag of Leinster.

Given that DoD Ireland is not supposed to have Catholic supremacy I suspect blue would actually be more accurate (although that would make it look like the flag of the Northern Irish fascist Blueshirt movement plus harp).

Thande

Donor
Evidence that green flags were being used before the DoD POD (in this case by the United Irishmen in 1798)

20070903123938!Vinhill.gif

The basis for the gold harp on a green field comes from the pre-PoD Society of United Irishmen, who were established in 1791, and used the gold harp on green as their symbolic flag. This flag was used in both OTL and ATL Ireland as a symbol of a united and sovereign Ireland. It was used as a revolutionary symbol in 1798 and 1803, and later used as a symbol for peaceful demands for a separate Ireland during the 1830s and 1840s. The British associated it with sedition, but to the Irish it was viewed as the national flag during this period.

The establishment of the current Irish tricolour is actually considerably post-PoD (about 1848), and it took some time for the tricolour to become predominant. With DoD Ireland gaining sovereignty in 1862, it's going to use the established national flag of the gold harp on green as the basis of their flag.

Edit: The green used in the golden harp on green was a medium to light green, so Flag #1 is probably the more likely flag, regardless of how it may look to modern eyes.

Given that DoD Ireland is not supposed to have Catholic supremacy I suspect blue would actually be more accurate (although that would make it look like the flag of the Northern Irish fascist Blueshirt movement plus harp).
Possible, but in DoD itself the flag is clearly described as being a Red St Patricks cross on a green background with a Gold harp at the center.
The basis for the gold harp on a green field comes from the pre-PoD Society of United Irishmen, who were established in 1791, and used the gold harp on green as their symbolic flag. This flag was used in both OTL and ATL Ireland as a symbol of a united and sovereign Ireland. It was used as a revolutionary symbol in 1798 and 1803, and later used as a symbol for peaceful demands for a separate Ireland during the 1830s and 1840s. The British associated it with sedition, but to the Irish it was viewed as the national flag during this period.

The establishment of the current Irish tricolour is actually considerably post-PoD (about 1848), and it took some time for the tricolour to become predominant. With DoD Ireland gaining sovereignty in 1862, it's going to use the established national flag of the gold harp on green as the basis of their flag.

Edit: The green used in the golden harp on green was a medium to light green, so Flag #1 is probably the more likely flag, regardless of how it may look to modern eyes.
As the author himself has seen fit to comment on this(thanks!:D) I would say we can consider the matter settled

Which, being that this is AH.Com, means that the debate will continue, and indeed, grow more acrimonious:D

Well, as one of the people that put forward the possibiltiy of blue, I'd say it is finished. Since Jared has said how things are playing out, that's how they are. I was only making the suggestion and backing it up with what I knew, not saying it was wrong. Oh well, I planted the little birdy about the enviromental movement flag, so I guess I'm one for two haha.

Last edited: