Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.9%
  • It's ok

Votes: 61 20.0%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 41 13.4%

• Total voters
Hi everyone, this isn't an update, but a question for you all.

I've been practicing writing in a story format recently, and one of the things I wrote while practicing was a short half-page or so segment of a story that was supposed to go with an earlier draft of the latest update that was in a different format. I wrote this to try to capture the horror of what is happening in Albe-Mosquito. I didn't include it because it didn't fit the final format of this update, and because I don't feel it's very good. However, I saw it while checking through my other scrapped stuff and realized it is the only finished thing in my scrap section, so would anyone be interested in reading it?
Absolutely

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Ok then. I'm sorry if this comes across as crass or anything like that. When I wrote this I was trying to get across just how nasty the Red Crosses were, but I'm afraid it might come across as a bit melodramatic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt from The Road to Bluefields by Alexander Thompson, 1980.

The sharp snap of a whip and the terrible shriek of a man suffering pierced the idle sounds of nature, distracting me from the serene beauty of the Jungle. Now alert, I continued my walk, hand at the ready to draw my revolver as I rounded a bend in the Road. Upon doing so, I saw a horror that all of the depravity of the Red Crosses I had seen prior could not match. Just ahead was a gang of a dozen emaciated Miskitans clearing the road of a fallen tree - and lording over them was a brute with a whip in his right hand, pistol the left, and a rifle on his back.

As I approached I could hear the barbarian screaming at the men:

“Faster, faster you blood-suckers! I’ll have your nigger hides if you don’t Work!”

As I drew closer, one of the Miskitans, his belly bloated and ribs sharp as razors, collapsed onto the ground and lay so still I thought he was surely dead. The man screamed and stamped his foot in rage, shouting “Up! Up you dog!” before drawing back the whip, cracking it once, twice on the man’s exposed flesh before I caught his arm as he drew back yet a third time.

“What in the Almighty’s name are you doing to these men,” I demanded of overseer, “Can’t you see these men are too starved to work?”

The fool got over his shock quickly, his face contorting into a cross somewhere between a snarl and a smile as he pulled his hand free from my grasp.

“Lookie here, a nigger lover,” the man said to me, his eyes betraying the rage he felt at having been stopped at his torture. Then, without another word, the man pointed his pistol at the workers and shot two of them dead before gesturing towards me with the still smoking weapon.

“Thanks to your concern, they will have plenty to eat tonight, and if you don’t mind your damn business, there will be a buffet for my workers tonight.”

Still now I hear the overseer’s laughter cutting through the silent jungle above the biting whip and wailing men.

Ok then. I'm sorry if this comes across as crass or anything like that. When I wrote this I was trying to get across just how nasty the Red Crosses were, but I'm afraid it might come across as a bit melodramatic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt from The Road to Bluefields by Alexander Thompson, 1980.

The sharp snap of a whip and the terrible shriek of a man suffering pierced the idle sounds of nature, distracting me from the serene beauty of the Jungle. Now alert, I continued my walk, hand at the ready to draw my revolver as I rounded a bend in the Road. Upon doing so, I saw a horror that all of the depravity of the Red Crosses I had seen prior could not match. Just ahead was a gang of a dozen emaciated Miskitans clearing the road of a fallen tree - and lording over them was a brute with a whip in his right hand, pistol the left, and a rifle on his back.

As I approached I could hear the barbarian screaming at the men:

“Faster, faster you blood-suckers! I’ll have your nigger hides if you don’t Work!”

As I drew closer, one of the Miskitans, his belly bloated and ribs sharp as razors, collapsed onto the ground and lay so still I thought he was surely dead. The man screamed and stamped his foot in rage, shouting “Up! Up you dog!” before drawing back the whip, cracking it once, twice on the man’s exposed flesh before I caught his arm as he drew back yet a third time.

“What in the Almighty’s name are you doing to these men,” I demanded of overseer, “Can’t you see these men are too starved to work?”

The fool got over his shock quickly, his face contorting into a cross somewhere between a snarl and a smile as he pulled his hand free from my grasp.

“Lookie here, a nigger lover,” the man said to me, his eyes betraying the rage he felt at having been stopped at his torture. Then, without another word, the man pointed his pistol at the workers and shot two of them dead before gesturing towards me with the still smoking weapon.

“Thanks to your concern, they will have plenty to eat tonight, and if you don’t mind your damn business, there will be a buffet for my workers tonight.”

Still now I hear the overseer’s laughter cutting through the silent jungle above the biting whip and wailing men.

Now this is terrifying.

I've been practicing writing in a story format recently, and one of the things I wrote while practicing was a short half-page or so segment of a story that was supposed to go with an earlier draft of the latest update that was in a different format. I wrote this to try to capture the horror of what is happening in Albe-Mosquito. I didn't include it because it didn't fit the final format of this update, and because I don't feel it's very good. However, I saw it while checking through my other scrapped stuff and realized it is the only finished thing in my scrap section, so would anyone be interested in reading it?

Hey, the more the merrier.

EDIT: Christ, that was chilling. Perhaps a deeper exploration is in order to truly feel how bad the slaves were treated.

I’d be interested in reading it.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Such a heart of darkness. Sadly real life can be so farcically cruel it seems.

Heart of Darkness is rough to read, but it got across its horror and the insane nature of it very well. I was trying to emulate it to some degree in this, although

Wow, that's Night-level ish right there...

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Perhaps a deeper exploration is in order to truly feel how bad the slaves were treated.

I will come back to it eventually. The reason I've been trying to learn how to write story format pieces is because I've planned on writing short stories set in various locations and times to help with the human element of history. I've personally struggled to fully grasp the human level sometimes when researching history, the "One death is a tragedy, six million a statistic" problem.

Also, I just wanted to say thank you all again. I know I must sound overly paranoid with my fears over things like this, but I'm glad it doesn't seem to have come across negatively.

Last edited:
In its current form, the Albe-Mosquito story is almost a teaser-trailer for the more detailed post that will likely be coming up. Story posts could continue to serve a similar role in a future (for example, a story post on the day of a coup d'etat and then another post on its details and longer term effects)

Also, 1980? Albe Mosquito stays a death camp for two hundred years?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Story posts could continue to serve a similar role in a future (for example, a story post on the day of a coup d'etat and then another post on its details and longer term effects)

That's more or less exactly what I was planning. An example I've actually planned on is a story set during the Battle of Exeter during the Regulator invasion of New Hampshire.

Also, 1980? Albe Mosquito stays a death camp for two hundred years?

Albe-Mosquito isn't going to be this awful the whole time. "Scientific" Racism will evolve over time and last far longer, with Albe-Mosquito being at the forefront of this movement until it collapses.

What are the chances of people who fought for New Africa fleeing west and settling in Spanish territory? Like, for instance, Texas? TTL's Texas Republic could be New Africa version 2.0.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everyone, sorry for the long delay again. My laptop stopped working a bit over a week ago and I've been unable to get any writing until now. For those who are curious, that's the third computer that stopped working in the time this timeline has been worked on, I swear I have a gremlin living in my desk. However, I do have the flags that I designed for the USA that were, thankfully, in the cloud this time, so I figured I could have a flag update.

The next update is the fiftieth however, so it might be a bit more as I plan to have a longer update.

And, thirdly before the flags, I'm sorry @HonestAbe1809 and @AnonymousSauce for not responding.

What are the chances of people who fought for New Africa fleeing west and settling in Spanish territory? Like, for instance, Texas? TTL's Texas Republic could be New Africa version 2.0.

The majority of those who manage to escape will have fled into the western parts of the Carolinas where settlement is low, and there isn't enough authority in the Carolinian governments to reassert control over those regions. When I do an update on the territory set aside for the free slaves. A decent number will end up in Florida, and a few in Louisiana, but Texas is a tad far for the time.

I was referring to the book Night by Elie Wiesel, in which he recounts the horrors he endured at Auschwitz, which frequently included being fed the bodies of his comrades in soup form.

I should have known that. I've read Night before.

Anywho, on with the flags! Sorry if they are a bit rough, I'm not the best at graphics design.

Flag Diagram.jpg

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone again, sorry for the delay, I'm still not quite done with the next update yet due to the most dreaded thing of all: College finals.

But, I should be done either later tonight or tomorrow, so, I've got even more flags, this time from the next update which is on the fall of the Rouge Rogues in France, and will also set the stage for the Rot in Austria.

MCCA.png
CRA.jpg

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Loving your flags, question about the previous post. "Pax in unitum Ignis". Is that "Peace united by fire," google translate is not my friend?

It is more of a case of having issues with spacing. The phrase is meant to be "United in Peace, United in Fire" but I couldn't fit a second "in unitum" in, so I dropped the first "in unitum" and had it in the front, middle so that it can be read front to back twice to get the phrase.

But, I do kinda like the "Peace United in Fire" and I might keep that. Heck, the same explanation (running out of room for one "in unitum" in the original sketches) could explain why the phrase is what it is.

It is more of a case of having issues with spacing. The phrase is meant to be "United in Peace, United in Fire" but I couldn't fit a second "in unitum" in, so I dropped the first "in unitum" and had it in the front, middle so that it can be read front to back twice to get the phrase.

But, I do kinda like the "Peace United in Fire" and I might keep that. Heck, the same explanation (running out of room for one "in unitum" in the original sketches) could explain why the phrase is what it is.
Pretty badass words regardless.

The Rot? Will moldy bread birth a Republic in Austria?

I wonder what'll happen to Hungary, Galicia, and the rest after the Revolution. Sister republics, or carved into departments under direct rule from Vienna?