Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters
“For most Americans, the establishment of the American Monarchy was an unquestionable fact. Such a viewpoint is understandable. After all, despite long strings of internal conflict, civil wars and numerous regime changes, the American Monarchy has been a bedrock of this nation. Of all the things that make an American “American,” few things could hardly be more important than the devotion to their monarch.”
--Ishikawa Yoshiteru, The History of America Book VII: The Early United States
“However, when the United States first began to move towards the adoption of a stronger federal government, the nation was still firmly Republican. In fact, during the drafting of the United States Constitution, the article which provided for a monarchy was only added in due to a minority of draftees advocating for it. And the article was only agreed upon by granting the states the decision to vote for either a republic or monarchy upon ratification. None of the Republican delegates there expected for more than one or two states to vote to abolish the republic; they thought they had saved the republic by adding such a clause.”
--Ishikawa Yoshiteru

Honestly I'm getting vibes of something rather...Japanese. Except rather than 'Shogun' there will be a 'Dictator' as implied by the Washington/Andrew Jackson wiki picture. In fact it would be pretty awesome to see how as multiple European countries must deal with rising Liberalism, Middle/Far Eastern countries deal with westernization, the United States Kingdo....Empire takes a minor 180 and starts to mildly resemble Late Imperial Japan, Byzantium, or the Ottomans but with all the westernization they didn't have or had to work for. Immigrants come because they say the laws here make every man a king, but remember...Revere the Emperor and all that. The emperor guarantees the protection of the Catholics, and the Protestants just want to say their monarch is best. I can just imagine it, some young king meets the Emperor of all North America and say's "how do you get all your peoples to love you, I've tried everything." To which the emperor might say "They tell you to do stuff?" Maybe a great rivalry could develop between the America and Brazil. Honestly this is the most interesting TL i've read in a while. I check everyday for the next update.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everyone, it's me, an advocate for authoritarian anarchism here with another update. Except, before we get to the update, I wanted to respond and so the update is in the post immediately after.

Oh wow, that's a really good assessment of things. I'm sorry I can't talk about everything you mentioned simply because I'm somewhat outclassed here, I will mention a few things. I agree with you entirely on the adopting of names as titles, and I really like the idea of Americans not using names repeatedly to show how different they are. It's subtle, but it really makes sense and is a pretty nifty idea. When it comes to the popularity of monarchism and how it will be perceived, I haven't done enough talking about it yet, but monarchists are still a minority. In fact, the pro-Constitution Republicans are the largest group, they just lost the vote due because a large number of them were shut out of the voting process by the monarchist elites. While I definitely will touch on it more, the perception of the Revolution, Republicanism, Monarchism and America as a whole are going to be heavily debated during the nations early years.

I don't know how the American's will do it Gilbert would pronounce his name "Jill-Bear" which does sound pretty cool.
Quite a few Americans would have some idea how to pronounce French words--by this I mean people in the more literate elite. The kind of people who formed the Continental Congresses and so on, and a substantial number of other townsmen and better off farmers, particularly plantation owners. They'd know more or less not to read it as we would an English name.

Reading it that way instead we get "Gill-burt" more or less, hard G, first syllable pronounced like the "gill" of a fish, every phoneme of the second syllable fully voiced and strongly, the two syllables having almost equal stress with a moderate relative emphasis on the first one--in French I would expect the stress is on the second syllable which is paradoxically also the most worn down in terms of dropped phonemes. "jill-BEAr." American reading of "Gilbert" would thus be GILL-burt. Some confusion as to French rules might lead to some saying JILL-burt, others might essay gill-BEAR or conceivably gil-BURT or jill-BERT.
This may well mean that American English diverges even further from British English as more french gets added too it

Yeah, the pronunciation of Gilbert and a higher French influence may lead to American English being spelled significantly differently than British English. If I remember correctly, it wasn't until the 1820s that spelling reform occurred, so the official spelling might actually be Jillbear or Jillburt or however Americans end up pronouncing it. Imagine the possibility of an English where things sound like how they were spelled! Probably not though, it probably would be worse.

And we Brits will be able to kvetch when the damn Yankees can't pronounce Gilbert and Sullivan properly.

Excellent. Now all we have to do is drop even more of the letter u from words.

Honestly I'm getting vibes of something rather...Japanese. Except rather than 'Shogun' there will be a 'Dictator' as implied by the Washington/Andrew Jackson wiki picture. In fact it would be pretty awesome to see how as multiple European countries must deal with rising Liberalism, Middle/Far Eastern countries deal with westernization, the United States Kingdo....Empire takes a minor 180 and starts to mildly resemble Late Imperial Japan, Byzantium, or the Ottomans but with all the westernization they didn't have or had to work for. Immigrants come because they say the laws here make every man a king, but remember...Revere the Emperor and all that. The emperor guarantees the protection of the Catholics, and the Protestants just want to say their monarch is best. I can just imagine it, some young king meets the Emperor of all North America and say's "how do you get all your peoples to love you, I've tried everything." To which the emperor might say "They tell you to do stuff?" Maybe a great rivalry could develop between the America and Brazil. Honestly this is the most interesting TL i've read in a while. I check everyday for the next update.

Well, thank you very much for your praise. I'd be a liar if I said I saw it myself, but I'm glad others are enjoying it. That's what makes it worthwhile to write this.

BLUFF.jpg

I mean, @The Merovingian, you totally didn't get it 100% right with the exception of USA-Brazil relations. Nope, not at all.

Or maybe an American-Brazilian Union?
I actually thought of this. Maybe first a personal union before a Pan-Americana movement, followed by a war of unification. I actually was wondering if Panama could viably become the capital.

While a Brazil-USA union would be cool, despite being engineered to be the worst at football, without the French Revolution a united Brazil might not exist. I'm not quite sure on what Brazil will turn into, I am somewhat uneducated on Brazil. And for a Pan-American Union? Well, in OTL the USA was an aggressive imperialist towards the rest of the Americas, but you ain't seen nothing yet. I plan for overly aggressive imperialism to end up being what seriously overstretches and destabilizes the USA in the late 1800s.

East Florida vs. George Walton

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
And it's update time!

"In Florida, we're the best melting pot in the world. We love everybody coming to our state."
--Rick Scott

Six thousand Georgians departed from Savannah on September 4th. As the band moved south, it grew slightly as the smaller townships joined in the flight. On September twelfth, the Georgians finally crossed into native territory proper. On September 14th, the Georgians encountered the Muscogee for the first time. Walton personally assured the Muscogee that the Georgians had no intentions of staying in their land; and even ordered the Georgians to be respectful and not harm the natives in any way. Despite this, the Muscogee remained suspicious of the Georgians, and over the next two weeks, Muscogee tribesmen shadowed the Georgians. On September 27th, the Muscogee attacked the Georgian band. Unfortunately for the Muscogee, they attacked the band in an area primarily made up of militiamen and were cut down swiftly.

Walton was infuriated. Despite his assurances and his order to keep the peace, the natives had attacked the Georgians, and now the Georgians were going to attack the natives. Reorganizing the Georgian band into a more defendable procession, the Georgians resumed their slow trek to St. Augustine. Sometime between October 1st and October 4th, they crossed the border and on October 5th, Walton’s reorganization of the Georgian band paid off.

The exact location of the Battle of Bloody Crick has never been determined due to contradictory records on where the Georgians were on October 5th. What is known is that approximately twelve hundred Indians, most likely of the Seminole tribe, attacked the Georgian band. Unfortunately for the Indians, the battle was a massacre for them. Fewer than one hundred Georgians died, yet between five and nine hundred Indians died. Following the battle, Walton ordered five hundred Georgians to chase the natives. The five hundred would come across a native village on October 9th, and massacred the village. Although no Georgian knew it, and the fighting proper wouldn't start for nearly two years, the Battle of Bloody Creek is considered by some historians to be the beginning of the Last Indian War which would end the remaining native societies in the Floridas.

Following the Battle of Bloody Creek, the Georgians would be harassed as they continued south to St. Augustine. Exact numbers are unknown, but it is believed that one in six Georgians died before the band arrived at St. Augustine on October 24th. Upon arriving, George Walton met with Governor Vicente Manuel de Cespedes. Cespedes was receptive of the Georgians due to his current encouragement of non-Spanish settlers in East Florida, and allowed the Georgians to settle in East Florida under the condition that they submit to the Catholic church. While most Georgians grumbled, all “converted” although most did so in name alone, secretly remaining Protestant.

While the few Georgians who accepted Catholicism stayed in St. Augustine, those who “converted” followed Walton slightly northward, starting a new town three miles north of St. Augustine. The town was initially called New Savannah after Walton’s death in 1809, New Savannah would be renamed Waltonia. For the first few months, New Savannah struggled with food problems and disease however as the political and military situation deteriorated in the USA, New Savannah continued growing thanks to an increasingly large number of refugees fleeing either the monarchists, or the New Africans.

Governor Cespedes began to grow concerned over the swelling number of Americans in East Florida, and launched an investigation into the American populous in March. It quickly became apparent that the number of refugees was far higher now than prior, and very few were converting to Catholicism. Thus, on March 19th, Governor Cespedes demanded that Walton either enforce the conversion to Catholicism, or expel the newcomers. In addition, Cespedes also demanded that all American immigrants to East Florida from this date forward were to be turned away.

Walton didn’t take the news well. Despite having only been in East Florida for six months, Walton already had ambitions for Florida, and they could only be achieved with a large American population in Florida. As such, Walton decided to rally against Governor Cespedes and on March 25th, a band of six hundred former Georgians marched into St. Augustine and threatened to overthrow Cespedes if he didn’t reopen East Florida to American immigrants once more. Cespedes would concede, however the seeds of rebellion were sown in East Florida. On March 26th, Cespedes would send a letter to the Captain-General in Havana, asking for troops to keep the peace. The struggle for East Florida had begun.

@Schnozzberry

Does this mean that we could end up seeing an independent Republic of (East) Florida sometime in the timeline's future. Frankly, the monarchists should be encouraging such inclinations. Why? Because it'd be a good way to get rid of those pesky Republicans. Don't like having a King/Emperor? Why don't you create your own country somewhere else? Plus while Florida is quite marshy it's still got a ton more land for Republicans to make their new home than Rhode Island does.

I also like the idea of Alt-Mormons building their own country in the West sometime in the future.

And if the American capital is at New York the Royal/Imperial Palace could be build in Brooklyn, since the area of OTL Brooklyn was a ridiculously underpopulated rural area the time and wouldn't really start growing in population for at least a half-century.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
@Schnozzberry

Does this mean that we could end up seeing an independent Republic of (East) Florida sometime in the timeline's future. Frankly, the monarchists should be encouraging such inclinations. Why? Because it'd be a good way to get rid of those pesky Republicans. Don't like having a King/Emperor? Why don't you create your own country somewhere else? Plus while Florida is quite marshy it's still got a ton more land for Republicans to make their new home than Rhode Island does.
We will see an independent East Florida eventually, although it may not remain a republic either.

I also like the idea of Alt-Mormons building their own country in the West sometime in the future.

The Christian State of California and the Mojave?

And if the American capital is at New York the Royal/Imperial Palace could be build in Brooklyn, since the area of OTL Brooklyn was a ridiculously underpopulated rural area the time and wouldn't really start growing in population for at least a half-century.

I'm not quite sure where the capital and palace will be. New York/Brooklyn does make sense, but the south might throw a hissyfit. Whether or not that works would be up for debate though.

And as a added bonus, if they all die from diseases or worse down there, they're no longer a issue to the Monarchists!

Yellow fever won't catch itself!

We will see an independent East Florida eventually, although it may not remain a republic either.

Will it become a monarchy too or will it become a dictatorship? I can see Walton's family going the way of Napoleon. Namely starting out elected before giving themselves the crown. It just seems like something the children of an ambitious man like Walton would do. Especially since he effectively usurped control of Georgia from its elected government before the Georgian Exodus.

The Christian State of California and the Mojave?

The funny thing is that I was totally thinking of California when I wrote that. Giving Alt-Mormons control over the gold fields of California would do well to cement their country's independence. We need an name that rugged, hardworking, yet pious people would pick. I'm thinking New Canaan as a way to liken it to the biblical

I'm not quite sure where the capital and palace will be. New York/Brooklyn does make sense, but the south might throw a hissyfit. Whether or not that works would be up for debate though.

The only Southern state that's worth a damn at this point is Virginia. Literally, everything south of Virginia only exists in the form of government-in-exiles. They have long since lost whatever power they had. I think that Virginia would understand that they're outvoted this time. The palace could be built in the OTL Brooklyn area and the rest of the government buildings could be built in Manhattan since while it has the most people of the OTL boroughs they've still got only 60,000 people at this time.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'

Ssssh, I'm dead.

Acktually
, I got busy with finals, and then went home over the break. Problem is, I left my laptop power cable in my dorm. So, I've been doing writing/research on my tracphone which is slow as all getgo, so it'll be a bit still. I was hoping to get it out faster, but my tracphone can't actually load the full document I've stored my notes and this timeline's text in without lagging massively. My apologies for this, but I am almost done with a new update which will be on New Africa.

Ssssh, I'm dead.

Acktually
, I got busy with finals, and then went home over the break. Problem is, I left my laptop power cable in my dorm. So, I've been doing writing/research on my tracphone which is slow as all getgo, so it'll be a bit still. I was hoping to get it out faster, but my tracphone can't actually load the full document I've stored my notes and this timeline's text in without lagging massively. My apologies for this, but I am almost done with a new update which will be on New Africa.
Well thanks for informing us on the lack of update, honestly thought this might be dead, and I really enjoyed it x'D

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Well thanks for informing us on the lack of update, honestly thought this might be dead, and I really enjoyed it x'D

Don't worry about it dying, I fully intend on finishing this unless I die IRL. Not so fun fact, there was another timeline yonks ago with a similar premise (USA->monarchy) where the author actually died, so I suppose there is a precedent for this happening.

Please refrain fron no/low content bumps of threads.

Thanks.

Yipes, sorry!

Well, I better add something of vague substance then. This froze my phone for a few seconds when I copied it out of Google drive, but here's a wikibox that's relevant to the next update:

2017-12-11.png

Now I'm wondering what an organization like the OTL Red Cross would call themselves to avoid being misidentified as a group of far-right assholes.

Is Nikism TTL Fascism?