Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.9%
  • It's ok

Votes: 61 20.0%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 41 13.4%

• Total voters
Even if I am not much interested in the happenings in Holland, wonderful to see this back.

Looks like Britain will be distracted from excessive meddling overseas.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Looks like Britain will be distracted from excessive meddling overseas.

I don't know how to hint this the best, but Britain will be more than distracted in the upcoming years. Let's just say I've found record of British governmental debt at this time to be quite interesting.

As long as it doesn't lead to a British Republic.
While I overall agree with your point, such a change would be amusingly ironic.

America, which fought for independence against the British monarchy, ends up a monarchy while Britain ends up deposing their monarchy and becoming a republic.

Why Gilbert. why???? *cries in a corner*. Sorry, I really dont understand why the fuck you would name the king (hopefully Prince) Gil-fckin-bert. And the Dutch have gone crazy. Oh well, the world is still round.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
America, which fought for independence against the British monarchy, ends up a monarchy while Britain ends up deposing their monarchy and becoming a republic.

I will say that if this timeline had a theme, the theme would be irony.

Why Gilbert. why???? *cries in a corner*. Sorry, I really dont understand why the fuck you would name the king (hopefully Prince) Gil-fckin-bert. And the Dutch have gone crazy. Oh well, the world is still round.

Blame Gilbert's mom for the name, it ain't my fault. As it stands though, Gilbert is an unassuming name, it doesn't sound regal or royal in any way. Perfect for a government that in its early days is a crowned republic.

Why the hate for Gilbert? Is there a problem with sharing the name with a stout old English gentleman fond of doodles and smelling of Ginger while also being a geographic feature and a dream?

Why the hate for Gilbert? Is there a problem with sharing the name with a stout old English gentleman fond of doodles and smelling of Ginger while also being a geographic feature and a dream?

It's not hate. It is lack opf understanding. Doesnt make sense to me that he changes his name, especially because it is the transition from a republic to a monarchy and regnal names may be too "monarchist" for it.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
It's not hate. It is lack opf understanding. Doesnt make sense to me that he changes his name, especially because it is the transition from a republic to a monarchy and regnal names may be too "monarchist" for it.

Wait, what? The first name of the Marquis de Lafayette was Gilbert from birth.

So will you use a version of Jefferson's proposed death as a scene in the next update or something? Make it officially part of the TL?

A tale of two Congresses

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everyone. Sorry for the massive delay between posts. While it may not be too surprising, I'm in university, pursuing a history degree. And, as such, I have to write a lot on history. Three papers in four weeks seriously pretty well burned me out on writing history, so this while neither I or my timeline died, I just couldn't muster the energy to keep writing it. I kept starting new chapters, then running out of steam a short way in. But, while I might be running on fumes at the moment, I have no intention of just letting this timeline die quietly so unless I actually die, I will post eventually. Anywho, I figured I should just get that out of the way before I get on with the update. It's a bit short, but I felt that I needed to post something after three and a half weeks.

"There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress. "
--Mark Twain

When the Marquis de Lafayette arrived in New York City, both the Monarchists and Republicans were assembling new governments. In Philadelphia, preparations were being made for the First Congress to assemble starting on July 4th. Senators and Representatives from Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Monarchist New Jersey, Monarchist New York, and Massachusetts had arrived with surprisingly little fanfare. Senators from the governments in exile of Georgia, the Carolinas and New Hampshire were also present, although none of these governments were allowed to send representatives until peace was established. A single representative from Maine was present, despite the Republic of Maine throwing its support behind the Republican cause, as were two Senators from Franklin, a Senator and Representative from Kentucky despite its continued presence as a territory of Virginia, and John Twiggs, a Waltonian Georgian who claimed to represent the true government of Georgia. Twiggs would be arrested on June 29th after a drunkenly dueling and killing William Few, a Georgian Senator. When Lafayette arrived in Philadelphia the following day, he described the congressmen as:

“The men who had assembled in Philadelphia were generally of a disagreeable nature. Few possessed even a fraction of the honesty or passion for liberty which drove their predecessors [the Confederation Congress] to establish this nation.”

Despite the somewhat chaotic situation before the First Congress opened, it was able to get right to business once Congress did open on July 1st. A number of Congressmen had already been striking deals prior to the first session of Congress, which led to James Clinton being appointed Director of the Armed Forces, and James Madison being appointed as Director of the State. On the second day of Congress, Lafayette was offered the crown by Congress only to turn it down, stating that “It would be unwise to accept the crown until Congress is fully assembled.” While a few delegates, primarily from the South grumbled at this, Lafayette was offered to serve as Regent, which he accepted. The final executive position needing filling was Director of the People, an office that was supposed to be elected by popular vote. Some debate existed on whether or not Congress should appoint a Director of the People at all, and even more debate existed on whom should hold the office. The more monarchist elements of Congress wanted a proper Monarchist rather than a pro-Union moderate like James Madison, while the pro-Union republicans who made up the majority wanted a republican. Almost all wanted an older Director than James Madison. In the end, George Clinton, a pro-Union republican and governor of New York was offered the position.

The Republican governments however, had a bit harder of a time forming a united government. Many of the republican states, such as Rhode Island or Massachusetts which were anti-Union and generally unwelcoming of a plan to create a new government. Furthering the issues were territorial claims made by New York and Massachusetts that prevented the republics of Vermont and Maine from participating in the Republican Congress. A third element that hindered the Republicans was the debate on what exactly the Republican Congress was. More conservative Republicans from states like New York or New Jersey considered the Republican Congress to be the legitimate version of the Continental Congress, and their government to be the legitimate government of the United States. More radical elements of the Republican Congress, such as the remnants of the Regulators in Massachusetts, called for the Republican Congress to be a new entity founded in a more radical republicanism. Ultimately this split led the delegates from Massachusetts leaving the Republican Congress in August.

And then, there was Rhode Island. While the tiny state’s government was one of the most fiercely Republican, the governor as well as a number of the state’s legislature were pro-Union. Pro-Republicans did dominate the legislature, and had forced the state into the Republican camp but not without seriously dividing the Rhode Islander government. On July 21st, the tensions caused by this division boiled over as local militias, on the orders of governor John Collins and the pro-Union legislature members, overthrew the Republican legislature. The Pro-union junta was short-lived however. Late into the night on July 24th, pro-Republican militiamen quietly arrested governor Collins, pro-Union legislature members, and members of the military junta. The new Republican junta did not agree with the idea of Rhode Island being a member of the Republican government however, and declared Rhode Island to be the Independent Republic of Rhode Island. The leaders of the junta, Peleg Arnold, Jonathan Hazard and William West became the three triumvirs of the new republic. All three promised to maintain the independence of Rhode Island and, to protect the miniscule country’s republican nature.

Rhode Island’s decision to be fully independent left the Republican Congress with only three members: New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. These three members were relatively conservative republican states, and on August 16th, the Republican Congress issued what would later be known as the August Proclamation. The Proclamation declared that the states of the monarchical Union were under the influence of “a perfidious foreign power,” and therefore the Republicans were operating to liberate the remainder of the states. Also contained in the Proclamation was a promise to “fairly punish those foreign elements which lead the people astray.” While the Proclamation was practically dead in the water due to the military situation in mid August, it would prove to be influential on the rhetoric used by future republicans. For current republicans however, the Proclamation only stirred up more resentment against them. In New Hampshire, one printer noted that it was "foreign elements" which tried to "liberate" New Hampshire under a new republican government. This, along with a number of other writings led to the August Proclamation and the Regulator invasion of New Hampshire becoming linked. A number of patriotic songs, paintings and writings would capture this, but of all things the phrase "Remember Exeter!" would remain a fixture of American anti-Republicanism throughout the decades.

In New Hampshire, one printer noted that it was "foreign elements" which tried to "liberate" New Hampshire under a new republican government. This, along with a number of other writings led to the August Proclamation and the Regulator invasion of New Hampshire becoming linked. A number of patriotic songs, paintings and writings would capture this, but of all things the phrase "Remember Exeter!" would remain a fixture of American anti-Republicanism throughout the decades.
New Hampshire Remembers!

Was going to do a The North Remembers, but the phrasing didn't work.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
New Hampshire Remembers!

After having heaped a pretty good helping of abuse on New Hampshire, it felt like the only decent thing to do was to give them a time to shine before shoving them back out of the limelight so that the South can hog all the attention again.

After having heaped a pretty good helping of abuse on New Hampshire, it felt like the only decent thing to do was to give them a time to shine before shoving them back out of the limelight so that the South can hog all the attention again.
At least they're getting karma before OTL.

Wise of the Regent to not take the crown now. "Rather than take the crown to lend legitimacy to his deeds, he chose to carry out deeds to gain legitimacy for his crown."

He's certainly on his way to winning over Americans talking about their politicians like that i think, khaha.

Unsurprisingly the Republicans have fractured. So we have several factions:

The Union Republicans, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. Of the three only Conn. controls all its territory. They have a common ideology but suffer geographic issues. Their August Proclamation gives them a clear direction though and their constitution acceptance appeals to reform.

Regulators, back for is it round three now? I need to reread. They have to deal with the royalists in the state but also the fact they alienated peopel last time around and failed. There may be an all or nothing approach to the new war as I expect another round of treason will not be treated leniently.

Maine & Vermont, the uncool kids who mostly are on their own because the others are not letting them have a place at the table. Perhaps in the face of victories elsewhere they can be won over to the royalist banner for recognition as states? It would not appeal to everyone but such a proclamation would win over some friends; especially when it seem their fellow republicans gave them a cold shoulder despite everything.

Rhode Island, this seems interesting. They seem to reject the revolution spread and liberation ideals and are just trying to their own way. So they are likely left until later, or maybe not returned to the fold at all? I'm not sure that is possible but the Marquis is not unsympathetic to the ideas they are spouting, unlike the radicals and these trying to conquer the monarchist states.