Deadlock: What Happens if Nobody Wins (Atlantic Monthly, Oct 1980)

I just found this fascinating article from The Atlantic written before the 1980 election. It discusses a scenario where Anderson's candidacy denies any of the candidates an electoral victory and the House deadlocks over choosing the president.

The most interesting thing about it to me is how laughably wrong it seems now, and yet it must have been a very present possibility at the time.

I just found this fascinating article from The Atlantic written before the 1980 election. It discusses a scenario where Anderson's candidacy denies any of the candidates an electoral victory and the House deadlocks over choosing the president.

The most interesting thing about it to me is how laughably wrong it seems now, and yet it must have been a very present possibility at the time.

They were also pretty sure, that the Dems would win the Senate.

You have to remember that in June polls showed Anderson in the twenties. This was no doubt an illusion; it was before the major party conventions, which shored up Democrats' and Republicans' support of their nominees (in particular, Reagan reassured a great many moderate Republicans by choosing Bush). And in any event third party candidates tend to fade as the election grows nearer. But at the time many people took the prospect of a three way race seriously.

One should also remember that Election Day happened to be the first anniversary of the Iran hostage crisis. This fact (of which the media constantly reminded the public) and the breathless speculation on whether the hostages would be released, followed by disappointment when it was cleat they would not be--probably padded Reagan's lead considerably (though he would have won anyway) and may have cost the Democrats a number of close Senate races.

So while expecting either a close presidential race or a good showing by Anderson look ludicrous in retrospect, they seemed plausible at the time (as did continued Democratic control of the Senate).