DCS Revised: A Better Color Scheme

Which color should Hungary use in the DCSR?

• Dark teal (DCS)

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Light teal (current DCSR)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Brick red (NCS)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
1676161129488.png

Here's the Mashriq, containing colors for everything from Sumerian city states and the 12 tribes of Israel to modern terrorist organisations and the Syrian Civil War.

I just noticed, there is no specific color for an "undefined border". Is that intentional? Because that could be quite useful in earlier maps.
I didn't think about that. I'd presume that you would use no border in that case.

Suggestion for Japan and other relevant places: callouts for Pokémon regions.
This is beyond the scope of this color scheme, but perfectly applicable for an extension; many real-world colors can and will be carried over. As a temporary guide for until I or someone else makes such an extension::
  • Kanto: Kanto
  • Johto: Kansai
  • Hoenn: Kyushu
  • Sinnoh: Hokkaido
  • Unova: New York City
  • Kalos: France
  • Alola: Hawaii
  • Galar: England
  • Paldea: United Iberia

This is beyond the scope of this color scheme, but perfectly applicable for an extension; many real-world colors can and will be carried over. As a temporary guide for until I or someone else makes such an extension::
  • Kanto: Kanto
  • Johto: Kansai
  • Hoenn: Kyushu
  • Sinnoh: Hokkaido
  • Unova: New York City
  • Kalos: France
  • Alola: Hawaii
  • Galar: England
  • Paldea: United Iberia
also:
  • Crown Tundra: Scotland
  • Isle of Armor: Isle of Man
  • Orre: Arizona or Navajo
  • Fiore: Okayama or Hyōgo
  • Almia: Aomori
  • Oblivia: Shimane

Not sure if this is worth the effort as it would be a lot of work.

But how about adding otl use dates next to the colors in lesser known regions. One of the reasons I don't use larger color schemes in My stuff is I don't have the time to figure out which color to use in a place like central Africa in the 1700 when multiple people's existed in the same general area but only one was dominant that decade.

(If any of that makes sense 😞)

This is amazing work. I do like how you've been able to combine nations with a singular color. Tempted to borrow some of your work on Germany and Italy for my X4 revamps there, if that's permissible.

I just noticed, there is no specific color for an "undefined border". Is that intentional? Because that could be quite useful in earlier maps.
I'm not sure there's a need for it. It's like defining a colour for places that aren't places. If you draw the border in, you are defining where it is, and hence it is no longer undefined.

I'm not sure there's a need for it. It's like defining a colour for places that aren't places. If you draw the border in, you are defining where it is, and hence it is no longer undefined.
I do like the idea of have no border marks no border. I just think that it should be something that is "defined" somewhere, paradoxically.

I haven't been able to post updates for the last week as I got kicked. Anyway, here's two sections for the price of one: Arabia and Persia.
1676931396519.png

Arabia may be expanded in the future if I find a suitable map of Arabian tribes. Next up is Western Central Asia, then India.

qazse

Gone Fishin'
I haven't been able to post updates for the last week as I got kicked. Anyway, here's two sections for the price of one: Arabia and Persia.
View attachment 812033
Arabia may be expanded in the future if I find a suitable map of Arabian tribes. Next up is Western Central Asia, then India.
I reckon the Tihamah colour in the Yemen section could also be used for the Houthis.

Not sure if this is worth the effort as it would be a lot of work.

But how about adding otl use dates next to the colors in lesser known regions. One of the reasons I don't use larger color schemes in My stuff is I don't have the time to figure out which color to use in a place like central Africa in the 1700 when multiple people's existed in the same general area but only one was dominant that decade.

(If any of that makes sense 😞)
If it helps, I will be including many more colors for smaller peoples and states in Africa as well as other places.
This is amazing work. I do like how you've been able to combine nations with a singular color. Tempted to borrow some of your work on Germany and Italy for my X4 revamps there, if that's permissible.
Go ahead! To be honest, Germany isn't much changed from DCS.
I reckon the Tihamah colour in the Yemen section could also be used for the Houthis.
I already have a color (Saba) for the Houthis.

Sorry for the lack of posts. India is really big (to state the obvious) and there are hundreds of ethnic groups and princely states that I want to add. Here's a WIP:
1677576043826.png

I would call the latter section "West Turkestan" instead.
I'm maintaining consistency with "East Central Asia".

Last edited: