DBWI: Zach Snyder turns down directing Thor

While many people still dislike Zack Snyder's Thor for nearly killing the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I can't be the only one to have liked it. I definitely enjoyed the sword and sandal feel it had, and I thought giving Thor the character arc of going from a self-righteous bigot to a legitimately heroic character was an interesting, nuanced twist on his comics arc (not to mention resonates a lot in today's atmosphere - which is all that will be said), though I can understand why people hated it when it came out for making him extremely unlikable. However, Snyder wasn't the only director considered - directors like Matthew Vaughn, Guillermo del Toro, Tim Burton, and even Kenneth Branagh of all people were considered for the director's chair. So here I pose several questions:
  • What other directors could have directed the film, and how would this affect its box office?
  • How would it affect the Marvel Cinematic Universe's future?
  • What would Zack Synder direct instead?
The film's much less well-received by critics here, with a 63% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but grosses here around $505 million worldwide

Thor is initially this self-righteous, holier then thou character that treats the jotunn as these violent heathen monsters which have no place in the civilised Asgard (essentially a knight templar in pagan clothing), especially after their attack on his coronation, and when Odin decides to accept many jotunn refugees displaced by violence in Jotunheim, he nearly flies off the handle, declaring he feels betrayed by him. Instead of being banished to Midgard, he's first banished to Niflheim before working his way up, slowly but surely realizing how terrible he was because of his narrow-mindedness, ad well as learning to control his temper.

Loki doesn't turn out to have started the Jotunn attack and be the villain, though its initially hinted at as a red herring.

Odin is played by Ian McKellen here, and yes, this did lead to a slew of X-Men jokes, including semi-serious "Odin is a displaced Magneto" theories

Last edited:
OOC: How does this different from his OTL debut characterization in the MCU? When I saw the move, I enjoyed everything but Chris Helmsworth's character, and it wasn't until The Avengers that he truly grew into a likable character by being on a team he didn't lead.

More likely, the difference between this version and OTL will probably come down to casting, production values, and different overall writing choices. If Zach gives Asgard the overall style of Sparta from 300 but in living color with culturally more appropriate melee weapons, then yeah, I could see it being a stinker.

Last edited:
Loki would be a villain, and the whole of the mcu would be more comic accurate, for better or worse. Our MCU featured Loki being haunted by visions of Thanos and Lady Death since a young age, and their tampering in the dark arts and infinity stones was to protect the universe from them. That was all Snyder's idea, as he saw a potential foil for Stark when the pair met.

If Loki wasnt written that way, they wouldn't be amongst the most popular characters, so they probably wouldn't get the character development we saw, so they wouldn't become an icon of nonbinary gender or bisexuality per Taika Waititi.

Similarly, Thor would probably be written more socially intelligent. Yeah he's the General of the Avengers and physically decimates the others, but he's still incredibly obtuse and tends to look bigoted or perverted without Loki's help.

OOC: How does this different from his OTL debut characterization in the MCU? When I saw the move, I enjoyed everything but Chris Helmsworth's character, and it wasn't until The Avengers that he truly grew into a likable character by being on a team he didn't lead.
Thor is initially this self-righteous, holier then thou character that treats the jotunn as these violent heathen monsters which have no place in the civilised Asgard, especially after their attack on his coronation, and when Odin decides to accept many jotunn refugees displaced by violence in Jotunheim, he nearly flies off the handle, declaring he feels betrayed by him. In the film ITTL, he starts rallying many asgardian civilians to lead the attack on their realm. As mentioned above, Loki doesn't turn out to have started the Jotunn attack and be the villain, though its initially hinted at.

Asgard is more or less like it is in OTL, but more norse accurate.

Last edited:
There are some things he did that REALLY worked - going heavy on the Norse elements of Asgard (think of how heavily pan-African and Afro-Futurism was in Black Panther) and his willingness to work with some of the stranger elements of Thor's mythos worked out well in the long run. Plus, the incredible Thor and Loki dynamic - Tom Hiddleston made Loki in the long run, but Snyder has always had a gift for antiheroes, and he helped that boost that much more. Both of which other directors got far more mileage out of, be it Guillermo del Toro with the Thor sequels, or Taika Waititi with Loki.

On the other hand, we should be very, VERY thankful they didn't give him control over the script - Snyder is a great visual director, but his movies are only as good as the scripts he's given, as some of his post-Thor efforts show. Man's had quite the eclectic career in the 2010s.

The better question with Thor directed by someone else - especially since the MCU and Thor both went on fine without Snyder, is what happens with Snyder if he doesn't take the Thor job? Maybe he wasn't kicked to the curb by WB after Watchmen bombed, so he keeps making movies for WB? Maybe even work on one of WB's aborted DCEU films? God knows he can't do a worse job than David Goyer or the Wachowskis did with DC Comics.

I imagine Phil Lord and Chris Miller wouldn't have been tapped to direct The Avengers after Paramount decided that the Zak Pen and Joss Whedon-penned script need some revision into a lighter film to help audiences forget about the utterly unlikable Thor. Lord and Miller definitely made a good job with social interactions, though some of the action's a bit rusty.

Puzzle

Donor
One thing that struck me on first seeing Thor was how ‘super’ Thor was. Iron Man was a little grounded to start, he had some trouble with fighter jets, and then there’s Thor who was basically a natural disaster. It really made SHIELD’s efforts to follow the Hydra weapons pathway make sense when their first alien experience was a walking tornado/earthquake with shades of Shakespeare.