DBWI: Without the Father of Interstellar Travel?

Although mildly obscure to the modern-day folk, the major fundamentals of space travel arose due to the Exploration of Outer Space by Means of Rocket Devices ("Исследование мировых пространств реактивными приборами"), written by the Father of Space-Rocketry, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. This work, published in 1903, grew massively in the scientific community, and this fueled the Great Race, the rise of colonization and exploration of the satellites of our Sun.
Now, what might happen if either Tsiolkovsky was never born, or his works were never published or caused the great change in science that it caused IOTL. How would this change the world at large?

Redcoat

Banned
Meh, someone else would do it. After the discovery of Helium-3 on the moon in 1933 it was basically impossible NOT to go to space. I have no idea how TTL wouldn't come up with a reason not to travel the stars. Not to mention asteroid mining in the 60s. Of course if Tsiolkovsky wasn't born we may not see a Mormon president, or have Brazil be a world power!

Meh, someone else would do it. After the discovery of Helium-3 on the moon in 1933 it was basically impossible NOT to go to space. I have no idea how TTL wouldn't come up with a reason not to travel the stars. Not to mention asteroid mining in the 60s. Of course if Tsiolkovsky wasn't born we may not see a Mormon president, or have Brazil be a world power!
I didn't even consider Brazil! Imagine! Without the Great Race, the need of computers is pushed off for quite a long time, which did help strengthen Brazil's economy, and with it helped push forth a stable and powerful Brazil

Redcoat

Banned
I didn't even consider Brazil! Imagine! Without the Great Race, the need of computers is pushed off for quite a long time, which did help strengthen Brazil's economy, and with it helped push forth a stable and powerful Brazil
Not to mention its prime location as a large equatorial nation! Recife wouldn't be the bustling city it is today without its spaceport! I don't think Florida would be very developed either. You could see the Everglades surviving...

We might have seen a "Second World War" instead of the "scramble for space" where the German Empire (OOC: The Kaiserreich was restored in ITTL's 1930s), the Soviet Union, the United States of America, and the Japanese Empire were the main competitors.

We might have seen a "Second World War" instead of the "scramble for space" where the German Empire (OOC: The Kaiserreich was restored in ITTL's 1930s), the Soviet Union, the United States of America, and the Japanese Empire were the main competitors.
Perhaps. What about the United Kingdom? Would they jeopardize their economy and cease trading with the Kaiserreich, or worse yet, declare war on the Kaiser himself?

Redcoat

Banned
I have a feeling that decolonization will take a lot longer with the world's nations not being distracted in space...Who knows Indochina won't be a nation!

Last edited:
You wouldn't have the eco-terrioist Earth First nutters. They claim it's unbiblical to be in space.

You also wouldn't have the Boshington (Everything from Boston to Washington D.C. ) hyper City. 140 million people. That's of course due to scientific advancements and living longer.

Didn't they try to assassinate the "Astronaut Princess" of Germany in 2007?

Yep tried and failed. On the subject of terrorism; I wonder if that wacko over in Libya. Osana, Alana.. dang it I can't remember his name. The guy who launched the dirty bomb into Madrid last year that killed 3200.

Anyway I have always wondered if that terroist, among others, funded the Eco group.

Yep tried and failed. On the subject of terrorism; I wonder if that wacko over in Libya. Osana, Alana.. dang it I can't remember his name. The guy who launched the dirty bomb into Madrid last year that killed 3200.

Anyway I have always wondered if that terroist, among others, funded the Eco group.
you meant Osama Bin Laden?