As many know, on April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth tried to kill President Abraham Lincoln at the Ford Theater but failed and killed Henry Rathbone.

Booth tried to escape but was captured and shot, the country was shocked and weakened by the news of the assassination attempt and the Confederate United States was dissolved at the end of the month. Lincoln was president until 1869 and achieved reforms that benefited the slaves.

What if the assassination attempt had been successful? What would the country's reaction be like? Could the Confederation recover from the coup or would it still be dissolved? Who would the presidents be after 1865?

Last edited:
Well the biggest change would be that Abraham Lincoln wouldn't serve 108 years as President of the United States.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
At first I thought this was just a typo in the title, but then I noticed that the thread was in post 1900, so it was meant, I assume, to be 1965.

In that case, since Lincoln would have been 156 years old, we'll send this to ASB.

At first I thought this was just a typo in the title, but then I noticed that the thread was in post 1900, so it was meant, I assume, to be 1965.

In that case, since Lincoln would have been 156 years old, we'll send this to ASB.
Wow, I also had the wrong forum :( traslate?

Shouldn't it be in Before 1900. The poster mentioned it was a typo.

It is well known that the South's fears were fully realized following the American Civil War when Abraham Lincoln proclaimed himself God-King of the Americas and initiated his century-long despotic reign of terror that turned the United States into a charnel house of carnage, as the slaves murdered their former masters, the streets ran red with blood, and everyone born to the south of the Mason-Dixon Line were tortured in public for the demented amusement of Republican taskmasters, as they looked down upon them inside a massive colosseum built in the crumbling ruins of Washington D.C.

I salute that brave time traveler, John Wilkes Booth, who tried and failed to kill Lincoln from the grassy knoll while he was driving through Dallas in his mobile Ford Theater, with his harem that included Marilyn Monroe, Jacqueline Bouvier, and the entire population of the state of Illinois. If only Booth had succeeded, then the American people could've finally been emancipated from that tyrant, The Rail-Splitter.

There was a joke in the Soviet Union in 1937, when the 100th anniversary of Pushkin's death was being observed (with the Communist Party of course claiming that it represented the heritage of Pushkin and everything that was great and "progressive" in Russian culture).

The joke was that if Pushkin had been born in the twentieth century, he would still have been killed in '37! :p

It would have been very bad news for ex-Rebs.

Vice-President Johnson was fiercely hostile to traitors, maintaining that they should be "impoverished". So he would almost certainly have sided with Thaddeus Stevens and the Radicals who called for the wholesale confiscation of Rebel property. Indeed he might have gone even further and compelled them to give the vote to all Freedmen instead of just those who had served in the Union Army.