DBWI: What if the Eighteenth Amendment had been repealed?

Well, the "Likker Wars" in the Appalachian south wouldn't have happened in the years following WWII, for one. And crossing the border from either Canada and Mexico would be much easier without the "complete and thorough" searches.

Last edited by a moderator:
There wouldn't be so serious alcohol criminal issue and huge corruption. And probably Trump wouldn't have talked always about Canadian Wall.

And crossing the border to either Canada and Mexico would be much easier without the "complete and thorough" searches.
You mean crossing the border from Canada, right?

And of course Trump wants a wall; it's to root out the competition! His "Premium Pharmacies" probably supply half of our 1%'s alcohol consumption.

Then would mean if Joesph Smith didn't return with our great god Elohim and convert everyone to the truth (Mormonism).

Of course if it had been repealed earlier the rates of alcoholism would be massively increased although there might be a reduction in the amount of alcohol poisoning with the production of alcohol now being subject to licencing and regulation.
The pernicious income tax would also have been repealed once the government is able to tax alcohol once more.

Of course, the most important thing to me is my cousin Ailig wouldn't be doing time for his lucative moonshine operation in the Carolinas. (Although, knowing him, he'd be doing time for tax evasion instead....)

Most countries ban alcohol. This seems to be due to the influence of the United States, and of course the Americans implemented the bans themselves in Italy, Japan, Germany, Vietnam, and Iraq (!) (yes, alcohol had been obtainable in Iraq, a Muslim nation, before but not after the American invasion). Russian resistance to doing this is usually cited as explaining American hostility to Russia even after the end of communism. Though its almost ASB, if the Americans themselves had repealed prohibition, I really doubt it would have been implemented in other countries.

I have read arguments that prohibition was the original genesis of what has been called the "police state" (basically a society were its very easy for even basically law abiding people to have negative contact with law enforcement), especially after the government got serious about enforcing it. The difficulties with crossing the border from Canada and Mexico are cases in point. Alcohol has been banned in Canada for some time now, and is difficult to get in Mexico, where only specially licensed hotels and restaurants sell it, but the the complete searches supposedly to prevent booze from being smuggled in from these countries are still in place.

Probably Britain would have a smaller exile community, as I think we can agree that it was Prohibition that led in turn to the repressive current nature of the American regime in general and the anti Irish and anti Italian pogroms in particular, as they were thought to be involved in smuggling. Indeed its ironic that many families whose descendants fled British repression for American ended up fleeing American repression for Britain.

Further, the totemic nature of prohibition and related "moral" laws has had a strong effect on its foreign policy, and the Anglo-American split and Britain's eventual accession to the Non-Aligned Movement has at least in part been blamed on PM Bevan's...blunt responseto American demands for alcohol to be banned in Britain, a refusal which has lasted to the present day.

Fewer deadly highway crashes because some moonshiner in a nitromethane-fueled muscle car, doing 150 at night w/no headlights, tried to outrun the National Guard. And fewer barns and trailers exploding because they were illegally cooking nitromethane. And fewer IED attacks, if rebels can't get it as a precursor.

I heard that the were thinking about regulating soda consumption in New York. Reminds me of the history books and the Sugar "tax" on American colonists by Britain.