[DBWI] What do you think of kata Loukan?

As usual, the media are blowing this story all out of proportion. Recall the Sentinel:

The contents of this previously unknown Gospel believed to have been written by Luke, an early Christian close to the Apostle Paul call into question the foundations of the Orthodox faith. A new dating to the birth of Jesus is just the beginning.

Personally, while I am thrilled that the document is finally out (and why exactly did it TAKE everyone so long? The Antiquities Authority had it pinpointed to the bank vault since 1968, and they just spitefully kept it away because they were in danger of losing their lawsuit, eejits), I can't see anything world-changing in it.

Personally, though, I am glad that XXI.8 addresses apocalyptic hopes. That may give a damper to those annoying chiliasts.

Of course you can see why the Fathers decided it was not canonical (and despite what the talking heads on TV say, we *knew* that it existed, we just didn't have the actual text). All the legendry woven around Mary and that story about the census and the journey to Bethlehem is just too incredible. Though one wonders whether Christianity would have earned its reputation as the faith poorest in imagery if this text had been among the New Testament.

Anyway, what do you think of the attempts to redate the nativity? And the claims by modern feminist scholars that Mary's role was the reason the old partiarchal Church excised the Gospel according to Luke?

The problems became very evident from the first few verses as Matthew and Luke give two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). They cannot even agree on who the father of Joseph was. I know the Luke apologists try to eliminate this discrepancy by suggesting that the genealogy in Luke is actually Mary's, even though the writer of Luke stated explicitly that it is Joseph's genealogy (Luke 3:23).

Whoever did this really should have known better.

In general this is just part of the wider Intellectual Inquisition that is going on. The Secular Academics and the Huns in the Media are attempting to make war of all forms of thought not like there own. Part of this is a war against all religion. Its sad really what they are doing.