DBWI: U.S. middle class continues to decline after 1975 recession?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by GeographyDude, Sep 1, 2019.

1. interpoltomo please don't do coke in the bathroom

ASB. Too big of a market for companies to ignore, plus you know the weed and soma edibles plus other stuff keep people who'd be causing trouble quiet. The move to a medical/traffick ticket type approach in the 70s and 80s was probably inevitable.

GeographyDude likes this.
  2. TheMann Canuckwanker in Chief

And its hardly coincidence that that approach has actually reduced hard drug use, and that the rehab programs from the Addict Rehabilitation and Mental Health Assistance Act have reduced it further over time, and its even reduced the numbers of alcohol-related issues too.

GeographyDude likes this.
  3. Somedevil Well-Known Member

This is not that crazy I mean they have a history of more traditional windmills so I could see them doing this with a combo of hydroelectric power. Especially if they have less connection to there former colony's

4. Kaze Well-Known Member

Define the "Middle Class". I am talking dollars and cents - how much money is Middle Class? The number stated must be the same for every single American no matter what region they live in and skin color. Say you say between x-number and y-number, so if a person that lives below the y-number finds a penny on the street are they suddenly "middle class"? Say you say between x-number and y-number, a person that lives on the edge of y they lose that penny, are they suddenly "lower class"? Say you say between x-number and y-number, a person that lives on the upper end finds a penny, are they now "upper class?"

5. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

from 1983,

but what if this is delayed to the mid-1990s, combined with higher tuition and significantly harder college admissions, might this lead to a bifurcation of jobs?

Perhaps. This is a good mid-sized combo of a POD, although we might need a few more.

Somedevil likes this.
  6. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

But like me, I’m sure you can see how some citizens focus on the aspect that lower penalties “condone” drug use. And especially some upwardly-mobile, middle-class parents focus on the mixed “message” being sent to kids.

7. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

But I still can’t see Denmark becoming a world leader in wind power tech, I’m sorry.

Somedevil likes this.
  8. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

The standard approach is to take median income, and then say between two-thirds of median and double median. This is used in most economic studies, although some use different measures.

Now, geographic area is all across the board.

Many economic studies use median income for the entire nation, some use state median, and a number use median by metro area.

9. Sam R. Well-Known Member

He’s basically talking about skilled labour which is the labourers as family organisations supplying complex labour power. As we all know from volume one complex labour power is socially defined as unique exertions not available from socially standard labour power. Telephone operation (calling) in 1900 is complex. Telephone operation (calling) in 1990 is simple.

This is mostly not about difficulty but about sectional bargaining capacity. The Union makes plumbers a trade, not plumbing.

10. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

But union membership in the United States has declined,

from about a third of all workers in the 1950s to about 19.5% today, and rather seeming to hold there, at least last time I checked.

11. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

12. Vladislav Well-Known Member

The lack of economic reform means a deepening economic crisis. Problems in the economy through the fault of the Union government will ensure the popularity of the opposition and separatist ideas. The necessary economic reforms will be carried out by the opposition in much worse conditions