Looking back now, it's hard to believe that the idea of rebuilding the Twin Towers after 9/11 was so controversial when it was proposed, and for some time afterwards. Even now, you see the occasional article or opinion piece saying it was disrespectful, a mistake, etc. But the idea's defenders said restoring the skyline to how it was before that fateful day was in keeping with the New Yorker spirit. They also said that not rebuilding such iconic buildings would be a theft from the future. And I think it was Jon Stewart who called it a double middle finger to al-Qaeda.

Of course, the "rebuild the WTC the way it was" camp eventually won out. But what if they hadn't? What would New York City be like today?

I suppose they would have built some kind of memorial plaza there dedicated to the victims.
The 9/11 Memorial OTL was put between the 93rd and 99th floors of the rebuilt North Tower where the first plane hit the original tower. Perhaps the memorial in the world where they opt not to rebuild would end up as a large courtyard in the old WTC complex?

The towers are not identical to the old World trade center. The main structural support is centered on the internal columns the external columns are just cosmetic.
The new structure is a lot more solid than the old ones, there was a little less internal space available It was deemed a worthwhile sacrifice considering how the old structure failed.

He’s probably talking about the rumors about how the area is or was super haunted. That the construction team kept seeing ghosts and what not. Plenty of YouTube videos on the subject.

Oh come on. Don't tell me you believe that load of bullcrap. This is NYC, not an episode of Ghost Hunters.

The controversy and political capitol expended over the economics of rebuilding would have gone in another direction. Possibly 'How could we not afford to build, vs the how can we afford this rebuild debate that clouded the financing. Eventually New Yorkers accepted the project would never do more than approach the break even point and heavy subsidies, the 93 & 99th floor memorials, keep the lights on. Restoring the subway & other infrastructure, and a proposed memorial park would not have had the same job creation and other positive financial effects of building the towers, so the subsides may be worth it.

Oh come on. Don't tell me you believe that load of bullcrap. This is NYC, not an episode of Ghost Hunters.

The "haunting" is likely hallucinations and unwellness due to the vast amounts of toxic mold spores, asbestos dust, polychlorinated biphenyls, and other poisons violently sprayed out during the collapse of the buildings. Which is why the rubble should have been carefully buried at sea and nothing else built on the site.

The towers are not identical to the old World trade center. The main structural support is centered on the internal columns the external columns are just cosmetic.
The new structure is a lot more solid than the old ones, there was a little less internal space available It was deemed a worthwhile sacrifice considering how the old structure failed.

They're also significantly taller than the old ones, IIRC.

Those were some of the alternatives, yes. Multiple alternate designs were suggested, and some of them have since been built elsewhere.

Isn't that complex being built in Brooklyn based on one of the alternate designs?

Isn't that complex being built in Brooklyn based on one of the alternate designs?

You mean the Brooklyn Commerce Center? Because you'd be right.

And that's not the only design that ended up being built elsewhere. Others have been built in San Francisco, Orlando, and Vancouver. Think one's planned for San Juan too.

You mean the Brooklyn Commerce Center? Because you'd be right.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Not rebuilding the towers might have significant impacts on pop culture too. For example, I'm not sure we would've had that famous action scene in the first 24 movie. You know, the one that took place at the construction site?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Not rebuilding the towers might have significant impacts on pop culture too. For example, I'm not sure we would've had that famous action scene in the first 24 movie. You know, the one that took place at the construction site?

Yeah, I remember that. We probably wouldn't have had that scene from the last Transformers movie either. I like how they started making animated ones again.

When it comes to existing media, I'd say "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" probably would've had a heavy shadow over it forever. Some would argue that it does, but I'd say more people would feel that way if the Twin Towers weren't rebuilt.

It's simple economics - real estate in Manhattan is way to valuable and expensive to not build something there.