DBWI: Turks are Islamic

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we all know the Turks are some of the most Christian people on the planet with their government's legitimacy in the eyes of many after conquering byzantium being based defending the Christians from the Mongols. In fact in some european languages Turk is used to denote someone as a very religious Christian. So that's the question what if they were Muslim instead? For starters I think the coptic orthodox and eastern orthodox would still be split with them never having to share an empire and that Armenians, Assyrians, and likely even anatolian Greeks probably would have been displaced by the Turks. Kurds may be a bit better off though. As far as the rest of the world I don't know what would change

They would be kicked out of Anatolia as soon as they come with some kind of a crusade. There is no way that anyone will be happy with Constantinople being a muslim city

ASUKIRIK

Banned
So basically a Muslim Ottomanoi Dynasty? Will they be considered a non-continuation of the (Eastern) Roman Empire instead of the OTL continuation?

So basically a Muslim Ottomanoi Dynasty? Will they be considered a non-continuation of the (Eastern) Roman Empire instead of the OTL continuation?

I'd say so considering how foreign islam is to Europe with Rome always being Christian since Constantine they would probably view it as an evil occupation

The fact the Anatolian Turks (and part of the Central Asian Turks with the rest being a mix of Buddhists and Zoroastrians with the odd pocket of Manichaeism here and there) practice Nestorianism was already bad enough to Western Europeans.

Dolan

Banned
I'd say so considering how foreign islam is to Europe with Rome always being Christian since Constantine they would probably view it as an evil occupation

Well, the Ottomanoi were Emperors until the Rhomaioi themselves get fed up of their mismanagement, corruption, and general decadence of the Imperial Family and Turkish nobility who enriched themselves at the expenses of the "True Romans".

The 1811 Roman Revolution and the formation of Second Roman Republic is the event that started the Revolutionary period in Europe, which unleashed the spectre of Nationalism and Neo-Romanism.

ASUKIRIK

Banned
Well, the Ottomanoi were Emperors until the Rhomaioi themselves get fed up of their mismanagement, corruption, and general decadence of the Imperial Family and Turkish nobility who enriched themselves at the expenses of the "True Romans".

The 1811 Roman Revolution and the formation of Second Roman Republic is the event that started the Revolutionary period in Europe, which unleashed the spectre of Nationalism and Neo-Romanism.
Well, that was the reason why the Turks ended up driven out into Eastern Anatolia, Babylonia, and Syria, forming the Kingdom of Turkey that still legally held claim of being the TRUE ROMAN EMPEROR despite the Roman Republic's constant objection, causing the now infamous Roman-Turk Rivalry.

Now imagine if the Turks were Muslims instead of fellow Orthodox Christians, I would bet that there will be a much bloodier war between the Romans and the Turks.

Dolan

Banned
Well, that was the reason why the Turks ended up driven out into Eastern Anatolia, Babylonia, and Syria, forming the Kingdom of Turkey that still legally held claim of being the TRUE ROMAN EMPEROR despite the Roman Republic's constant objection, causing the now infamous Roman-Turk Rivalry.
And considering that there were another Roman Republic (of Italy) who disputed the name of "Second Roman Republic", and there still The Holy Roman Empire (who is actually German), the Turks keep claiming themselves to be the Basileyum-i Rum is definitely not the worst thing happened in Eurasian diplomacy.

Anyway, with four states claiming to be Roman, two Republics and two Empires, things were interesting with the Constantinople Rome being called Byzantines, Italian Romans being called Lombards, Holy Rome being called Germans, and Turkish Rome is... Turks.

And considering that there were another Roman Republic (of Italy) who disputed the name of "Second Roman Republic", and there still The Holy Roman Empire (who is actually German), the Turks keep claiming themselves to be the Basileyum-i Rum is definitely not the worst thing happened in Eurasian diplomacy.

Anyway, with four states claiming to be Roman, two Republics and two Empires, things were interesting with the Constantinople Rome being called Byzantines, Italian Romans being called Lombards, Holy Rome being called Germans, and Turkish Rome is... Turks.

I have often wondered why there are four countries called Rome? I mean the Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Democratic Roman Republic and the Republic of Rome. Out of these only the Republic of Rome has the city of Rome. Why do the other countries do that?

As far as Muslim Turks are concerned, they adopted Islam after they conquered the city of Constantinople. The turks had a history of adopting the religion of the people they conquered aka the Arslan dynasty who conquered Eran adopted Zoroastrianism. So unless they first conquered Arabia, i dont think the Ottomanoi would convert of Islam.

If Mehmed the Apostle hadn't converted to Christianity in 1453 after his conquest of Constantinople it's likely that there would have been far more opposition to their expansion into the Balkans and the south of the Holy Roman Empire. The Serbs, Hungarians & Austrians all tried to attract support for their wars against the Turks, but with a Christian Emperor ruling the Eastern "Ottomanoi" Empire they never had much success. Maybe Simon the Magnificent never takes Vienna? Presumably a Muslim Ottomanoi dynasty expands south and east into lands held by the Persians and Egyptians instead of reaching the source of the Danube.

You need to make sure that the Abbasids don’t completely fracture to pieces after the Anarchy of Samarra, and then throw in a great conqueror who converts to Islam, and that could be enough to convert them to Islam. India might receive more Islamic influence, and there might not be any Rome by now.

theres no way they couldve gone far into the balkans. the peoples they took would be too rebelious and the pope/habsburgs would never let them near hungary. the venetians would also destroy the ottoman navy in the agean no doubt

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
As we all know starting a "DBWI" with As we all know means it isn't a DBWI at all but a Role Play.

Status
Not open for further replies.