DBWI: The SEGA-CD failed?

Deleted member 100251

What if the SEGA-CD failed to catch the support of third-parties like it did OTL?
Would SEGA actually release Project Mars as a last resort?
Would we still see the SNES-CD (Philips CD-ROM add-on unit for the SNES)?

What would happen to SEGA-CD's classics like Sonic 4, Ratchet and Bolt, Castlevania: Bloodletting, Lunar: Eternal Blue, Sister Sonic, Snatcher, and Sol-Feace?

What would happen to the Saturn? And its famed Sonic titles? (Extreme, Saturn, and Adventures)

So, what do you guys think?

Deleted member 100251

I mean I heard Sony tried their own console called the PlayStation or whatever. Maybe Medal of Honor could find its home there instead of SEGA's console?

The Butterflies would be massive to handled, Sega-CD Being a hit make Nintendo not to drop his CD plans(even if they got into a lenghty legal battle with sony...did that one have even ended yet?) alongside how influence third parties , both in japan and the west? would sega be more relaxed with third parties cost support for Sega.CD and ended blundering(i refused to call a lot of FMV CD games..some did have enought but shit like night trap don't deserves that title).

I mean I heard Sony tried their own console called the PlayStation or whatever. Maybe Medal of Honor could find its home there instead of SEGA's console?
Nintedo killed it in a legal battle is still ranging on IIRC...maybe or for alternate ultra?(Nintendo and EA have never being buddies and when EA did make ilegal things with sega...still medal of honor was a fine game but is not goldeneye)

Deleted member 100251

So true. I think all of that could happen.
The Nintendo v Sony lawsuit is one of the worse I've ever seen.
It would be a dream come true to see that end.

GoldenEye is one of the best FPSes I've ever played.

It could happen the orginal plan was for the CD to use both the CD and cartriges which would have made it more expensive and clunky.

They decided to take a risk and go with just disks and it worked out.

Deleted member 100251

Yeah. Using carts as well as CDs would've been a bad choice.
I'm glad they chose the CDs, it gave the system a chance to become successful (which it did).

The success of the Sega CD made it possible for the Sega DVD (2001), Sega BR (2008) and the Sega BR-UHD (coming spring 2017). Sega's partnerships with Bandai Namco, Tecmo, Koei and Electronic Arts ensured a good supply of games for the Sega consoles throughout the years.

Fortunately, because Sega CD did become successful, they didn't need that weird kludge of a hardware add-on for the Sega Genesis (the 32X). Sega's decision to switch to optical disc loading of game was why when DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray technologies became available at reasonable prices, Sega was able to substantially improve the quality and complexity of games. Indeed, Bandai Namco's Tales of Beseria--which will be a launch title for for the Sega BR-UHD--will have extremely sharp graphics that takes full advantage of 4K flat panel displays and supposedly requires well over 125 hours to complete the game from start to finish.

And we're not talking nintendo side of ecuation, with their 3D(not that good but was servicable till ultra, that is why sega make that kludge 32x, to have somethhing to compete) CD addon with Philips, who later helped with all nintendo console later on, wonder how will affect things, would have Dragon Quest Stayed exclusive? or going full sega if not CD? DQVI was pretty nice with those animated cutscenes.

And yeah Tales franchise for sega might be butterfly away too.

Ah, the Nintendo-vs-Sony lawsuits going back and forth. No wonder why the major game companies are leery of dealing with either of them and prefer to deal with Sega instead. Bandai Namco has not released any "tentpole" game titles for the Nintendo or Sony systems in years, and Electronic Arts since 2010 is mostly into Sega, desktop computers and increasing touchscreen cellphones.

Deleted member 100251

Yeah. The good news though is that Nintendo kept Rare and Square.
Those to have been really helpful for Nintendo.