DBWI: The death of a new paganism. World Judaism.

The fan application to the timeline - To Ourselves, To New Paganism

As you probably know in the eighth-ninth centuries Ab urbe condita (using Roman chronology to avoid confusion), the process of mixing and philosophical rethinking of old religions began. In essence, a modern religious worldview emerged. At the same time, the Jewish insurgents were active. After the suppression of the riots, Jews were scattered throughout the Empire. It sounds crazy, of course ... but what if one of the leaders of the uprising after his death is declared Messiah (messenger)? And around him there was a cult that became a world religion?

But of course, there's been many people who at various points have declared themselves masiah. It went one of two ways: either you appeal to the Greco-Roman zeitgeist and lose the distinctive elements that made your movement Jewish, or you appeal to the Jews and alienate the others. Iamlikoi and other anointing movements often claimed a degree of messianic inspiration, but these movements were often small and marginal in the face of larger movements like the Aleitheists and the general trajectory of Neoplatonist thought towards the Therapeutics.

[I'm honored, btw - but this is in the wrong subforum]

But of course, there's been many people who at various points have declared themselves masiah. It went one of two ways: either you appeal to the Greco-Roman zeitgeist and lose the distinctive elements that made your movement Jewish, or you appeal to the Jews and alienate the others. Iamlikoi and other anointing movements often claimed a degree of messianic inspiration, but these movements were often small and marginal in the face of larger movements like the Aleitheists and the general trajectory of Neoplatonist thought towards the Therapeutics.

[I'm honored, btw - but this is in the wrong subforum]
But I thought about this - religion, as it spreads into the Roman Empire, refuses circumcision, and in Arab countries missionaries take a ban on eating pork. The main thing is that the skeleton is preserved - there is only one God.

[I already wrote a request for a transfer, it was not necessary to create two topics simultaneously]

But I thought about this - religion, as it spreads into the Roman Empire, refuses circumcision, and in Arab countries missionaries take a ban on eating pork. The main thing is that the skeleton is preserved - there is only one God.

[I already wrote a request for a transfer, it was not necessary to create two topics simultaneously]
Well speaking as one of the tribe I'd argue that it wouldn't really be Judaism. I mean monotheism isn't exactly unique in an of itself to Judaism, given that it's a major current in Neoplatonist thought, although we do tend to be more puritanical in our approach to it. Maybe if you had some sort of Neoplatonist who look to Judaism as a means of directly worshipping the absolute? Whilst it probably would have made it more popular amongst elite educated Roman circles, but I doubt it would have the popular appeal factor how hostile it would have to be to all other local religious traditions if it were going to stay true to anything that could plausibly resemble Judaism. Still, it would be interesting to speculate on the pseudo-Jewish mystery cult. Those high-class Romans did have a thing for foreign and exotic religions.

Well speaking as one of the tribe I'd argue that it wouldn't really be Judaism. I mean monotheism isn't exactly unique in an of itself to Judaism, given that it's a major current in Neoplatonist thought, although we do tend to be more puritanical in our approach to it. Maybe if you had some sort of Neoplatonist who look to Judaism as a means of directly worshipping the absolute? Whilst it probably would have made it more popular amongst elite educated Roman circles, but I doubt it would have the popular appeal factor how hostile it would have to be to all other local religious traditions if it were going to stay true to anything that could plausibly resemble Judaism. Still, it would be interesting to speculate on the pseudo-Jewish mystery cult. Those high-class Romans did have a thing for foreign and exotic religions.
Well, as far as I know (I'm from Jayıq Rus - there the Neo-Platonists do not meet, mostly the followers of Buddha and Adurnarseh, so I do not know the details, and I saw Jews - my literature teacher) in some schools it is allowed to worship smaller gods - so in Italy it is very popular Isis (1), in Hellas her name is Sophia .... although you are right. After the Great Revolution (2) in Gaul, most of the urban population focused on the Absolute, the minor gods stay in the countryside.
Judeo-Neoplatonist Syncretism? It sounds like Kabbalism - religion is clearly elitist. Elitist cults will die unless .... Judaic Britain !? Such a religion can dominate the Saxons. And you thought about the faith of slaves? A tool in the class struggle.

OOС - Note
1) Hint at the cult of the Virgin Mary, which in Italy is more popular than Jesus.
2) The French Bourgeois Revolution.
3) Will Neoplatonism get to Kiev (I have relatives in Ukraine)? Without the Arab conquest of trade on the Black Sea can't go.

The overall problem with Judaism, as a recognizable Judaism, becoming so widespread is that there are several "problems". First it is not a missionary religion. Furthermore there are several things that potential converts are put off by - the dietary laws and circumcision being the two biggest. Especially circumcision - for infant circumcision that's not necessarily a big issue, but getting adult males to do this without anesthesia - ouch. This happens at puberty or as part of a "warrior" initiation in some cultures but...

For those who say look at Islam where you have some dietary restrictions, no alcohol, and circumcision remember Islam is an aggressively missionary religion, and where spread by the sword conversion of pagans is not really a choice, and even Christians and Jews have economic and political limitations in Islam. There are other aspects of classical Islam such as multiple wives, enslaving non-Muslims, etc that can make up for no alcohol or pork.

IMHO a Juadaism which is evolved like ITTL and somehow spread would not be recognizable to the Jews of today, all flavors from Hasidic to Reconstructionist.

The overall problem with Judaism, as a recognizable Judaism, becoming so widespread is that there are several "problems". First it is not a missionary religion. Furthermore there are several things that potential converts are put off by - the dietary laws and circumcision being the two biggest. Especially circumcision - for infant circumcision that's not necessarily a big issue, but getting adult males to do this without anesthesia - ouch. This happens at puberty or as part of a "warrior" initiation in some cultures but...

For those who say look at Islam where you have some dietary restrictions, no alcohol, and circumcision remember Islam is an aggressively missionary religion, and where spread by the sword conversion of pagans is not really a choice, and even Christians and Jews have economic and political limitations in Islam. There are other aspects of classical Islam such as multiple wives, enslaving non-Muslims, etc that can make up for no alcohol or pork.

IMHO a Juadaism which is evolved like ITTL and somehow spread would not be recognizable to the Jews of today, all flavors from Hasidic to Reconstructionist.
OOC- don't forget to write OOC.