DBWI: Stalin's death didn't cause the Second Russian Civil War?

In 1953, the Soviet Army revolted after the head of the NKVD, Beria was sworn in as General Secretary. What would need to happen and who would become the next General Secretary? Would the Soviet Union survive to the turn of the millennium?

The USSR not descending into another civil war is near ASB. Stalin didn't let anyone actually able to lead the country live, they were too much of a threat. A lot would be changed, both good and bad. The USSR's Eastern European colonies would remain under Soviet rule instead of turning mostly into SD led governments. The USSR would have remained instead of breaking up into Russia and the various independent republics. Germany probably wouldn't have been reunited after giving up parts of itself to Poland and France and be forced to have a pacifist government with its independence guaranteed by the US.

On the good side there wouldn't have been a bloody mess in Russia... again. The first half of the 20th century really screwed Russia, two world wars and two bloody civil wars. Decolonization would probably be quicker. The civil rights movement would have probably been quicker. The decolonization of Africa and Asia probably would have been less violent

The USSR not descending into another civil war is near ASB. Stalin didn't let anyone actually able to lead the country live, they were too much of a threat. A lot would be changed, both good and bad. The USSR's Eastern European colonies would remain under Soviet rule instead of turning mostly into SD led governments. The USSR would have remained instead of breaking up into Russia and the various independent republics. Germany probably wouldn't have been reunited after giving up parts of itself to Poland and France and be forced to have a pacifist government with its independence guaranteed by the US.

On the good side there wouldn't have been a bloody mess in Russia... again. The first half of the 20th century really screwed Russia, two world wars and two bloody civil wars. Decolonization would probably be quicker. The civil rights movement would have probably been quicker. The decolonization of Africa and Asia probably would have been less violent
The Algerian genocide still gives me shivers. I know a few guys whose parents fled the country during the De Gaulle era. 1958 must never be forgotten!

Stalin didn't let anyone actually able to lead the country live, they were too much of a threat.

Could Stalin left Zhukov alive? I know he officially died due to "traffic accident" ala Patton, but most believe Stalin killed him, but didn't dare to use the regular purge because Zhukov was too popular, being war hero and all.

Maybe have Stalin think killing Zhukov is not worth the risk and instead left him live in obscurity, only for him to rise once Stalin died?

Last edited:
Could Stalin left Zhukov alive? I know he officially died due to "traffic accident" ala Patton, but most believe Stalin killed him, but didn't dare to use the regular purge because Zhukov was too popular, being war hero and all.

Maybe have Stalin think killing Zhukov is not worth the risk and instead left him live in obscurity, only for him to rise once Stalin died?
I am not sure it matters, Zhukov was a general not a politician and had no political ambitions that I know of. Even if he did would he have been any good at it?

Prehapse if the soviet union became dynastic like the Kim's in North Korea and you might be able to keep the soviet hierarchy loyal to Stalin decendents if Stalin built them up the way he did himself with his cult of personality. Despite being destitute North Korea defies all predictions of collapse and if his children kept up the same iron fist dystopia as there father ironicly taking a page from Eurasia in Orwell's 1984. Assuming the nazis don't captuer him then Yakov Dzhugashvili is stalins eldest son but was not liked by Stalin so he might be able to maneuver into power but without changing there relationship he would probably only be able to assume power if Stalin stays silent about who he wants as a successor.
1610578284559.png

Vasily Stalin was born from stalins second marriage and may be the most likly pick if Stalin was to make his heir known before he dies.
1610578572680.png

The more unlikely but interesting choice since the soviat union made a lot of progress in intagrating women into the military which maked me not completely write her off as asb (especially if both of her brothers end up getting captured by the germans) is Svetlana Alliluyeva who defected to the United States and could prehapse be a reforming figure in Russia if she took power
1610578855326.png

A possible dark hourse might be Svetlana Alliluyeva who despite being possibly a illegitimate child of Stalin was debatably the most succesful and if he can be acknowledged by stalin then he might be able to rise to the challenge since he is in a prime position within russian media and communications to influance opinion before he is even in power.
1610581585592.png

Last edited: