DBWI: Seth McFarlane misses the plane

The most shocking loss for the world of Western animation was the death of Seth McFarlane, the creator of cult show Family Guy, in the 9/11 WTC plane crash. McFarlane, as we all know, was a man of many talents: animator, voice actor, director, according to some, he was also a talented singer. We have truly lost a lot when his death was reported.

Now let's think about what would happen if McFarlane missed his plane (which, AFAIK, he almost did).

A lot of possibilities exist here. What can you say?

James G

Gone Fishin'
There are those pathetic loser conspiracy theory chaps who say that he didn't die and staged his death: he knew 9/11 was coming. Apparently, the tin foil hate people say, he did some smart financial stuff first and his so-called death has just made him richer: he's enjoying his zillions somewhere.
But then the Truthers do talk a lot of bull.

James G

I never unnerstand how sheeple like you whats wright in front of you're faces! McFarlane was caught on camera at Charles De Gaul on 9/12! Slow-motion analisis of the footage has shown the Escape CapSUle being launched into the Hudsen river! Davick Icke has provided all the informations you could ever need about McFarlane's ties to the Sawdi royal family! Wake Up !!! THINK about it!!!

Last edited:
It's hard to say what would have happened to Family Guy, but I'm thinking that its cancelation was inevitable; even with the martyrdom of its creator, viewership had more than halved since its first season. I'm not sure if MacFarlane living would change that. Hell, it might do worse.

Maybe the Simpsons would look different? I've heard that the reason they really ramped up the cutaway gags during the 2005-2008 seasons was because Family Guy had become such a cult hit, and the showrunners wanted to get in on it. Obviously that led to a lot of backlash which resulted in the movie being pulled (or so I heard), so maybe we'd see a 2007-2008 Simpsons movie instead of the 2010 one.

Perhaps Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman would have gone on to do work with Seth McFarlane on future shows (I think Seth had too much artistic integrity to try to revive Family Guy when he had quit while he was ahead, like Watterson) rather than becoming the main showrunners behind the Futurama spinoffs. It's a little hard to imagine Friday night Fox without 'Seymour And Nibbler' or 'Turanga!!!', but I'd of loved to see what those three minds would come up with when put together.

OOC: THE POD DID NOT MAKE THAT AND SIMPSON CANCELLED MUST BE THIS OWN BOARD CLICHE....
Well, without McFarlane at the helm due to this unfortunate tragedy, Family Guy was inevitably canceled by end of the 2003-2004 season. It also led to the decline of The Simpsons, and that show was canceled after the 2008-2009 season. An unusual tidbit about the final 2008-2009 season of The Simpsons: the last 11 episodes are the only episodes ever done for the 16:9 aspect ratio high-definition widescreen format.

On Sept 10 he gave a speech at RI School of Design and had been out partying until pretty early that morning. Too bad his hangover wasn't worse.

I agree that Seth McFarlane's death was tragic, but remember how he died -- leading the passengers in retaking the plane! If he hadn't been on that flight, with his bravery and cunning, the terrorists might have succeeded in colliding their plane with the Twin Towers as was Al-Qaeda's original plan. As it was, the passengers overcame the hijackers, then got on the radio with the control tower, the other planes were grounded, and Al-Qaeda foiled.

It is distinctly possible that had he missed that flight, we could have had planes hitting both Twin Towers, and the Pentagon, and the Capital, the way Osama Bin Laden originally intended. Instead of eleven deaths, hundreds would certainly have died -- possibly thousands, because jet fuel burns hot enough to make steel lose most of its structural strength, and the whole building might have collapsed.

We should all die as Seth McFarlane did -- in defense of the innocent, triumphing over evil!

OOC: Couldn't resist.

Had to google this guy. I hadn't even heard of Family Guy. (I was 3 during the events of 9/11.) But yeah, like other people were saying, if he had lived it's unlikely that the show would've lasted long anyway.

Family Guy was funny enough, but I don't know how much staying power you can wring from that brand of animated humor. I don't see Family Guy running for 14 seasons like King of the Hill.

In the end though, that's not what matters. Seth MacFarlane and Mark Wahlberg saved a lot of lives that day.

Last edited:
We would have gotten a few more good seasons, but animated humor at this point would be largely the same. The Simpsons didn't make a classic episode for the last several years. South Park is mailing it in these days, with maybe 2 or 3 good jokes a season and no classics like Go God Go or Trapped in the Closet. Family Guy would gave suffered the same fate unless Seth quit while he was ahead.

OOC: CAN WE LEAVE CURRENT POLITICS AWAY FROM THIS FOR FUCK SAKE ? and just to spite you
I apologise,I was making a example of unintended butterflies,the post is deleted
IC: I mean Trump claimed it was accident, Still cant understand how someone like him became president of United States twice in row. Even defeating Barack Obama in second term

OOC: CAN WE LEAVE CURRENT POLITICS AWAY FROM THIS FOR FUCK SAKE ? and just to spite you

IC: I mean Trump claimed it was accident, Still cant understand how someone like him became president of United States twice in row. Even defeating Barack Obama in second term
Post deleted, I was just trying to show that events can have butterflies down the road. I apologize

Loghain

Banned
Post deleted, I was just trying to show that events can have butterflies down the road. I apologize

Apology accepted. still you have to be carefull if you want to involve anything from current politics in DBWI. its controversial. i Apologize too, i mysunderstood you and throught you are indulging trump hateboner in wrong place.

Well all's well that ends well. Trump and Pence being impeached, indicted and sentenced to Life Imprisonment with no chance of parole is scant comfort to all those who died on his watch. They will at least not be lonely what with the rest of Trump's extended family also spending long periods doing "porridge". The elevation of Nancy Pelosi to the Presidency was a slap in the face for Hillary Clinton who had still harboured designs on being the first female President. Her two full terms would herald a new Golden Age not only for America but the world as a whole.

Loghain

Banned
Well all's well that ends well. Trump and Pence being impeached, indicted and sentenced to Life Imprisonment with no chance of parole is scant comfort to all those who died on his watch. They will at least not be lonely what with the rest of Trump's extended family also spending long periods doing "porridge". The elevation of Nancy Pelosi to the Presidency was a slap in the face for Hillary Clinton who had still harboured designs on being the first female President. Her two full terms would herald a new Golden Age not only for America but the world as a whole.

NOT AGAIN. NOT GODDAMN AGAIN. this is hopeless.

Let's get this back on track.
The unemployed family Guy animators probably wouldn't have gone to work for Microsoft and started working on animated advertisments and announcements and created Microsoft's beloved Bill the Bobcat.
The difficulties of producing and streaming the popular Bill the Bobcat adds led Microsoft to develop animation editing and broadcasting software that turned out to work on live action just as well.
In 2008 the on line X-Network was founded to provide on demand entertainment on line, there are now 108 different channels on the X-Net ranging from computer help to high end movies and everything i with Microsoft buying up smaller failing cable networks raising some upcoming anti trust issues.
If the Guy Animators were still producing episodes they wouldn't have gone to work for Microsoft and Microsoft might not have come to inadvertently dominate the on line entertainment industry.

Not all that many people died , if you spend 7 years trying to start a war and fail because your secretary of state is to good that says something.
Rex Tillerson was the only Trump cabinet member to stay into the Polosi administration and first man to win 6 Nobel Peace prizes