Looking back over 15 years later, it's easy to forget that a lot of people were skeptical of the CIA's findings that Saddam Hussein had active chemical and biological weapons programs. Of course, these findings were later found to be absolutely correct (though claims of Iraqi collaboration with Al-Qaeda turned out to have been greatly exaggerated).

But what if he didn't? How would it have affected the Iraq War and the War on Terror?

My hunch is that there would have been much less appetite for "round two", and the coalition would have thought twice about going after Libya. Gadaffi went out of his way to give the UN access to his facilities; if anything he seemed to be preparing for retirement. If the coalition hadn't intervened I imagine him or one of his sons would still be in power today instead of being tried and hanged.

That raises the question of which one of his sons would take charge, and whether they would fight amongst themselves, but that's another discussion.

For starters, Baghdad wouldn’t be a permanent exclusion zone to this day. I’m still amazed that Saddam authorized mass usage of chemical and biological weapons IN THE CAPITAL CITY and took nearly 8000 US soldiers and 100,000 civilians with him.

Hell, I heard that Bush was seriously contemplating nuclear weapons...

Zen9

Banned
The key problem with this stuff is that Iraq under Saddam had previously nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programmes. As dismantled under the terms of the Ceasefire.

And because his regime became ever more evasive and uncooperative to the inspection process. Suspicions were only natural that he was keeping things back.
Worse all the human infrastructure and institutional knowledge was still in place under his rule.
So it was always a potential that he could resurrect these efforts.
And as if that wasn't bad enough, in order to appear strong to his neighbours and to appease his own underlings he had to preserve the image of having such weapons and of thwarting the UN, US and the Allies.

This is made complex by his trying to appease the Allies by dismantling such himself in order to get the sanctions lifted and the threat of being toppled to go away.

The balancing act fell apart.

Looking back over 15 years later, it's easy to forget that a lot of people were skeptical of the CIA's findings that Saddam Hussein had active chemical and biological weapons programs. Of course, these findings were later found to be absolutely correct (though claims of Iraqi collaboration with Al-Qaeda turned out to have been greatly exaggerated).

But what if he didn't? How would it have affected the Iraq War and the War on Terror?

Well, it wouldn´t have affected the Iraq War itself much, Saddam only used them against Coalition forces when the situation started to look hopeless for him, as some kind of wunderwaffen that could let him counter the clear superiority that the Coalition had then,and also to get enough casualties to break morale on the battlefield and at home, making the Coalition's victory so costly that public opinion would withdraw all support for the war and demand immediate peace, all while Saddam demonstrates to his subordinates that he is still the boss. Of course, by then, even with chemical and biological weapons, the US Shock and Awe tactics had already excluded any possibility of an Iraqi victory, and Saddam Hussein's strategy was seen as motivated by desperation and illusory thinking. In fact, the use of weapons justified the war retroactively and guaranteed its support even in places that once criticized it (for example: Chirac's France). Therefore, if there had not been any weapons to use in the first place, the war would have ended faster, with fewer casualties.

However, here matters a lot when it is discovered that weapons never existed. After all, it was the main justification for the intervention of the Coalition of the Willing, an intervention that did not have the support of the United Nations (which is perhaps difficult to remember now but was still considered relevant at that time) and therefore contradicted international law. If it had been discovered, this would have knocked down all of Bush's justification, and would have ended the political careers of those involved, since in the public opinion, it would have been showed that the anti-war movements were right about them, when they said that the leaders of the Coalition were warmongers who waged an illegal war because of lies and faulty data.
I, for example, can´t imagine Tony Blair still on the list of the best British prime ministers as it appeared in a survey that was made a few years ago, if that happened.

Therefore I imagine the following effects, at least:

*The left is going to be vindicated as the ones who were right, so they would be on the rise after the revelations (the reverse of what happened in reality).
*Neo-conservatism is going to receive a severe hit, with the isolationist wing being on the rise in the post-George W. Bush Republican party. Compassionate Conservatism is also doomed by association. The same for New Labour and its Third Way.
*The Doctrine of Building "Coalitions of the Willing" to decisively and unilaterally act (using military force) outside the UN system would be proved flawed, so the UN is going to recuperate part of the prestige it lost in the 90´s instead of being in a clear and fast decline.
*The War On Terror would have been less nightmarish in the Homefront, because the terrorists would not have easy access to chemical and biological weapons, like they did after the fall of the Iraqi regime OTL. Also, the great humanitarian crisis of 2003, caused by the after-effects of the biological weapons deployed in the war, that affected parts of Syria, Iraq and Kuwait, would not have happened.

Hillary Clinton wouldn't have been elected in 2008. Someone from the antiwar left would have pulled off an upset for the nomination. Maybe even Kucinich.

If that Democrat is too weak/inexperienced, you'll see economic stagnation which will mean an angry electorate in 2012 and massive skepticism of both party establishments. You could end up with an insurgent candidate in 2012. Maybe a candidate like Jesse Ventura (since he has experience as a governor).

Maybe they wouldn’t be tens of thousands of veterans suffering from chemical weapons damage and having to fight the VA to get medical treatment.

You could end up with an insurgent candidate in 2012. Maybe a candidate like Jesse Ventura (since he has experience as a governor).

God no... we Minnesotans would beg you not to repeat our mistake. His term was a farse and you would find no shortage of folks willing to speak out against him.

But, I think the answer is rather obvious: if there are no weapons of mass destruction, than there is no evidence of them and the US thus does not invade. I imagine there's still some deep digging into the source of the 9/11 attacks though... so the connections with the Saudis might be revealed by Iraq took the firm position as the "big bad" in the public international imagination. I can't imagine the Saudi-American relationship could stay warm I such an instance...

You can’t say the Israelis and Iranians didn’t warn them. Both experienced previous attacks by Saddam and heavily suspected he had WMD’s.

It’s a miracle Saddam didn’t send a missile towards Tel Aviv or all of Iraq would be a radioactive wasteland.

Kaze

Banned
He did have them - but he used them on Iran years earlier. The problem is that when the US invaded the first time, they no longer existed and he was playing for time to rebuild his stockpile. Then came the 2nd invasion - if had rebuilt his stockpile by that time - would he not have used them against a US invasion?