DBWI: Ryan Leaf Never Changes His Attitude

The often parroted story of Ryan Leaf having a bad first practice and changing his outlook is probably one of the turning points in the post-1998 NFL. What if Leaf didn't change his attitude? Would he still succeed and end up changing modern NFL free agency or would he just be a bust? Would my favorite player, Peyton Manning, still win his couple of rings without the competition driving him? How would Tom Brady and the Broncos do in this world?

The often parroted story of Ryan Leaf having a bad first practice and changing his outlook is probably one of the turning points in the post-1998 NFL. What if Leaf didn't change his attitude? Would he still succeed and end up changing modern NFL free agency or would he just be a bust? Would my favorite player, Peyton Manning, still win his couple of rings without the competition driving him? How would Tom Brady and the Broncos do in this world?
OOC: he is still drafted by the chargers? or what? did cardinals got #1 pick instead?

OOC: he is still drafted by the chargers? or what? did cardinals got #1 pick instead?

OOC: Chargers. Manning still goes to the Colts #1. The POD here is that Leaf, instead of digging in and becoming bitter, works harder and becomes a legitimately good NFL quarterback as opposed to an all-out bust. He can't find success in San Diego and leaves in free agency, changing free agency like LeBron did in the NBA.

OOC: Chargers. Manning still goes to the Colts #1. The POD here is that Leaf, instead of digging in and becoming bitter, works harder and becomes a legitimately good NFL quarterback as opposed to an all-out bust. He can't find success in San Diego and leaves in free agency, becoming like LeBron.
OOC:thanks

IC: well there was someone to thanks that...Tony Dungy, after he was released from the chargers, the Bucs take cared of him and give all the time to health and he when comeback in 2001 was to improve massively thanks the second chance, not Dungy , leaf might have never change at all. Plus not 2001 Upset vs rams and patriots either, or 2002 game vs Raiders too.

OOC:thanks

IC: well there was someone to thanks that...Tony Dungy, after he was released from the chargers, the Bucs take cared of him and give all the time to health and he when comeback in 2001 was to improve massively thanks the second chance, not Dungy , leaf might have never change at all. Plus not 2001 Upset vs rams and patriots either, or 2002 game vs Raiders too.

I don't know how Belichick would do in this world... Leaf did a good job with him in the Super Bowl in 2004, but I wonder if he'd still find a way to work with Drew Brees and the Giants after Leaf leaves. Belichick may not be wanted if the Pats never win the big game, especially because of his time with the Browns. He may just be the guy who builds a good team but will always blow it in the playoffs.

I don't know how Belichick would do in this world... Leaf did a good job with him in the Super Bowl in 2004, but I wonder if he'd still find a way to work with Drew Brees and the Giants after Leaf leaves. Belichick may not be wanted if the Pats never win the big game, especially because of his time with the Browns. He may just be the guy who builds a good team but will always blow it in the playoffs.

Yeah, it took a while for Bledsoe to get over the hump. Pats fans wanted him traded until he beat the Packers in 2004 - the first Super Bowl to go to OT. Favre threw a pick in Patriot territory and Bledsoe capitalized, throwing a 74-yard TD to Deion Branch to win it 34-28. Figures that the Pack passed the torch to Eli Manning after that.

Dungy was a miracle worker, though - not just Leaf with the Bucs (and too bad his career got cut short by a rotator cuff injury - that guy had a CANNON) but with Ricky Williams in Indy. He got the man off the pot for long enough to win two Super Bowls, even if Manning got the glory for it, and the Colts in ‘07 were good enough to give that great Broncos team their only loss.

Of course, that AFC arms race is missing one name - Aaron Rodgers. I mean, the Cardinals could have supported him better, but they at least got him a ring and a chance at another that he would have had if Boldin hadn’t gotten mugged in the end zone.

**rubs temples** But seeing Rodgers get his ring is tough for me. One meeting with Nick Saban after the Dolphins drafted Rodgers made him decide he wouldn’t play for Miami - Saban was just intolerable. Really, Saban wanted Daunte Culpepper and thought Rodgers was unnecessary, so he demanded that management ship him off. And the Cardinals fleeced the Dolphins. And the Dolphins have had one winning season since. Fuck you, Nick Saban.

I dunno, he's the early 2000s version of Johnny Manziel?

Now that would be something. While it wouldn’t have been as immediate as Manziel (Leaf wouldn’t be playing for a big market team like Manziel with the Cowboys), that would mean he would bust hard and decline sharply.