DBWI: Not resuming Korean war

OCC: based on this historical event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_DMZ_Conflict

Assuming it's somehow possible for both sides to calm down and not to escalate the war, What to do you think the Korean peninsula would look like in the 21st century?
Technically, it was an armistice, not a "true" peace.

Anyways, I imagine that the expression (roughly translating from Korean as)"going Taebaek" for "starting a guerrilla war" wouldn't exist, since the infiltration of the area was such a success, commanders world over still study the operation that made it happen.

Technically, it was an armistice, not a "true" peace.

Anyways, I imagine that the expression (roughly translating from Korean as)"going Taebaek" for "starting a guerrilla war" wouldn't exist, since the infiltration of the area was such a success, commanders world over still study the operation that made it happen.

OCC: i'm sorry, but where do you see i did implied there was a "true peace".
If you mean about an ATL thing, my mistake.
If you mean about the title, sorry for the typing

Last edited:
Yeah, though the entire mess was such a fiasco, that China basically said “fuck it” and stopped supporting North Korea so eventually the peninsula would be reunited under South Korea. It was pretty rough, but then the Economic Miracle of the 90s happened, which smoothed over a lot of ripples.

So...peace between the Republic of Korea and the Crazy Fuck Kingdom of Korea? Talk about ASB, considering Kim Il-Sung’s mission in life was to piss off his neighbor to the south. Eventually he would go too far and directly attack RoK civilians. China would abide Kim Il-Batshit needling the RoK military, but the second he turned toward civilians, even Chairmain Mao looked at Kim and said, “You’re on your own, asshole.” I forget what he actually said, but it roughly translated to, “We will not abide the slaughter of innocents as an act of war, even in the name of communism.”

Needless to say, the RoK won the war easily when the DPRK military capitulated. Kim Il-Sung was executed for war crimes, and I think his kid lives in Malaysia now and he’s a doddering old man.

So...peace between the Republic of Korea and the Crazy Fuck Kingdom of Korea? Talk about ASB, considering Kim Il-Sung’s mission in life was to piss off his neighbor to the south. Eventually he would go too far and directly attack RoK civilians. China would abide Kim Il-Batshit needling the RoK military, but the second he turned toward civilians, even Chairmain Mao looked at Kim and said, “You’re on your own, asshole.” I forget what he actually said, but it roughly translated to, “We will not abide the slaughter of innocents as an act of war, even in the name of communism.”

Needless to say, the RoK won the war easily when the DPRK military capitulated. Kim Il-Sung was executed for war crimes, and I think his kid lives in Malaysia now and he’s a doddering old man.

Well, a buddy of mine (from China), said that peace could be possible, though morn like endless armistice, if North Korea was reigned in.

Granted, with North Korea gone and how everything went, that would lead to destabilization in Southeast Asia that led to a lot of American peacekeeping there.

I mean, those Khmer Rogue nutters from Cambodia were killed by both Chinese and American soldiers because China didn’t want another North Korea.

That, and China’s Communist Party began fracturing because of tHe differing approaches. China didn’t collapse like the USSR, but lumbered into a parliamentary republic by 2001. They are doing better though

OCC: i'm sorry, but where do you see i did implied there was a "true peace".
If you mean about an ATL thing, my mistake.
If you mean about the title, sorry for the typing
OOC: I forgot to put a "IC" tag, to signify that I was in-character correcting you over "escalating into war", since presumably, like OTL, there was only an armistice between the two Koreas, meaning that things couldn't escalate into war because they were at war to begin with, they had just suspemded hostile operations.

So...peace between the Republic of Korea and the Crazy Fuck Kingdom of Korea? Talk about ASB, considering Kim Il-Sung’s mission in life was to piss off his neighbor to the south. Eventually he would go too far and directly attack RoK civilians.
IC: Admittedly he did manage to make the South Koreans and the US almost choke as they swallowed his country up. Aside from Taebaek Mountains, he did order to drop mustard gas while using small forces as baits for the invasion force, to devastating results the first few times and just as a scorched earth kind of thing the other times. That, and managing to bomb the northenmost part of Seoul flat was pretty destructive.

China would abide Kim Il-Batshit needling the RoK military, but the second he turned toward civilians, even Chairmain Mao looked at Kim and said, “You’re on your own, asshole.” I forget what he actually said, but it roughly translated to, “We will not abide the slaughter of innocents as an act of war, even in the name of communism.”
Mao's official statement brought to the rest of the world was pretty much what you said, but he was... way more pointedly angry (and less restrained, I might add) at North Korea in the statement he released for China only. At least, that's what the former Red Guards say.

Well, a buddy of mine (from China), said that peace could be possible, though morn like endless armistice, if North Korea was reigned in.

Granted, with North Korea gone and how everything went, that would lead to destabilization in Southeast Asia that led to a lot of American peacekeeping there.

I mean, those Khmer Rogue nutters from Cambodia were killed by both Chinese and American soldiers because China didn’t want another North Korea.

That, and China’s Communist Party began fracturing because of tHe differing approaches. China didn’t collapse like the USSR, but lumbered into a parliamentary republic by 2001. They are doing better though
An endless armistice seemed to be the way they were headed at first, so that does surprise me.

Khemer Rouge's Cambodia... was a complex case. They did plan to create an agrarian utopia based around communist ideals (and killed many "intellectuals" as a result), and neither China nor the US liked them all that much, but some rumors say that the Sino-American intervention was staged only after Vietnam's general secretary sent an ultimatum to Cambodia to cease raiding the borders or suffer war. Given the bitter pill that was North Vietnam's lightning-fast victory over South Vietnam, the US probably wanted to avoid to look like it couldn't manage to lay a finger on commies.

And don't be fooled by the "parliamentary republic" bit: they are still retaining a lot of the old communust ideological sovrastructure and a fair bit of its laws (though criticizing the government leads to more of an annoying fine than grueling prison nowadays). In fact, their continued relative oppressiveness is one of the reasons for why Taiwan STILL doesn't want to join.