DBWI: No Roman Kingdom?

The Kingdom of Rome was one of the most important civilizations of the later bronze age and early medium age, spawning from southern Gallia, Italia, Magna Graecia, the mediterran islands and Carthage, until met it's demise on the period of the greater migrations south 1266 AUC¹. The Kingdom was a military and economical power and as recent archeological findings show their goods could be found all the way into the indus valley. With this on mind I ask: What if there was no Kingdom of Rome? Or what if it had turned into a dictatorship or a republic? Could it expand more? Personally I think that a republic would have crumbled since it showed to be a weak and oligarchic government, while a dictatorship could have expanded more, but it would be also less prosperous by having to sponsor such expensive military campaigns.

¹Christianity still rose in judea, levant and Anatolia, but it is not even nearly as proeminent as it is OTL, and so I'm using the roman callendary, that translates to 513 AD.

I tough that since the new bronze age game Paeninsulae Itallica was coming on showing the conquest of italy by the roman Kingdom you people would be more interested on this...

OOC: This version of The total war series.