DBWI: MCU succeeds, DCEU falters.

How do you make it so the Marvel movies succeed in establishing a coherent expanded universe through films, while the DC movies falter and fail? Basically a reversal of OTL's situation. Everyone knows that save for a few exceptions, Marvel movies just haven't been very good since the Nolan trilogy more than a decade ago.

Nolan did great work with Daredevil, reviving a favourite of the 1980s after he kind of fell to the wayside during the '90s. You could really tell Nolan went into the lore of the character (particularly Frank Miller's run and Born Again). That being said, I think that Daredevil was too much of a good thing. By trying to retroactively make the Nolan Trilogy part of the MCU, Marvel was forced into a corner with less skilled directors trying to emulate the dark style of Nolan, with it instead coming off as edgy and juvenile (I still can't believe Captain America decapitating terrorists with his shield still made it into the final draft of that script). It was just made worse by the fact that Ben Affleck, the definitive Daredevil, wasn't playing Daredevil anymore.

Maybe if the New Regency deal to buy the rights to a Daredevil movie had succeeded before Nolan got his hands on it, and/or Joss Whedon's Batman script had been rejected, then maybe Nolan could have been the mastermind of a trilogy but the slayer of a cinematic universe on the other side of the DC/Marvel divide.

Last edited:

Rambam23

Banned
Maybe if Marvel was able to hold onto the rights for its characters. But seriously, a successful MCU without the X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Spiderman? ASB. They tried, but after casting Kevin Spacey as Iron Man (who never could have led a Cinematic Universe even without the pedophilia scandal shortly after his casting) things just went downhill from there.

Maybe if Marvel was able to hold onto the rights for its characters. But seriously, a successful MCU without the X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Spiderman? ASB. They tried, but after casting Kevin Spacey as Iron Man (who never could have led a Cinematic Universe even without the pedophilia scandal shortly after his casting) things just went downhill from there.
Who's Iron Man?

I personally think John Krasinski was a good captain America and I personally think he could have carried the franchise had the movie made it's money back so I think don't put Synder on Captain America and instead get a good action director and have the Ant Man and wasp project be based on left over super solider program notes from world war 2 to tie them both together.

Maybe if Marvel was able to hold onto the rights for its characters. But seriously, a successful MCU without the X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Spiderman? ASB.
On the other hand the DCEU managed to turn their C & D list characters into household names. What average moviegoer knew of Jason Blood/Etrigan before Will Smith portrayed the character as “Etrigan the Rapping Demon”?

On the other hand the DCEU managed to turn their C & D list characters into household names. What average moviegoer knew of Jason Blood/Etrigan before Will Smith portrayed the character as “Etrigan the Rapping Demon”?
True I can not wait until Justice League Dark comes out and we see him work off of Jon Hamm's Batman and Matt Ryan's Constantine.

DCEU wouldn’t be half as good as it is without Wonder Woman I-III. Those films are just such unabashed fun that they’re a joy to watch, yet they have a point to them. Yes, I know that the neckbeard brigade complained about Dr Psycho being reimagined as an MRA-type but...that’s basically what gbe character was, and it really worked as a dissection of their poisonous ideology. And the first movie’s setting in the Middle East with Wondy having to stop Ares’ involvement in a conflict in not-Syria had some seriously moving moments.

I mean, it had a lot going for it. The decision to make the Amazons high-tech/magitech like the Golden Age raises some eyebrows but it worked really well and led to a seriously unique-looking Themiscyra, Gal Gadot played the role well and had awesome chemistry with Chadwick Boseman’s Steve Trevor (and Etta Candy, IMO :p ), and Laura Benanti and Danai Gurira stole the show as Queen Hippolyta and General Philippus (and were seriously believable as a couple). I was so relieved when neither died at the end of the 3rd movie.

And let’s face it: movies that involve riding an invisible jet and jumping off it to uppercut a Titan...can’t go wrong there :D

The Nolan's Daredevil films are overrated and pretentious, the damage was trying to imitate them in first place.

(Off Char: Where is the POD? The film series began at the same time, which was first?).

The level of difference is massive. Steel, a literal Superman spin off character become a sucess among Afro Americans who loved see one of them portrayed as a Sucessful Genius and thus becoming a Social Hit, while the damn Avengers movie passed without notice.

I think that the issue was trying to create such a long universe in so much time. The Captain America solo film was fun, but then a Thor, a Iron Man and a Hulk solo film for each of them? That format was doomed from the start. Everyone knows their origins!!

The Nolan's Daredevil films are overrated and pretentious, the damage was trying to imitate them in first place.

(Off Char: Where is the POD? The film series began at the same time, which was first?).
Ooh, someone's being edgy.

(OoC: As the first poster outside the initial premise, the PoD I suggest is that the 2000 deal by New Regency to buy the rights to make a Daredevil movie fails, so Daredevil (2003) isn't made. Christopher Nolan makes Daredevil instead when it's bought by a different studio, while Joss Whedon's Batman: Year One script is approved in 2001, after Frank Miller doesn't leave the project as he did IOTL when it was first rejected. He instead stays on, revises the script, and it's approved.)

Maybe if Marvel was able to hold onto the rights for its characters.
I don't think it needs to be Marvel holding on to the rights, just not spreading them out amongst so many different movie studios over the years.
DC being owned by Warner Bros meant that all the modern DC movies would be made in the same production house, Warner Bros Pictures, making cooperation and coordination all but inevitable once someone influential has the "Superman AND Batman" idea.

I think that the issue was trying to create such a long universe in so much time. The Captain America solo film was fun, but then a Thor, a Iron Man and a Hulk solo film for each of them? That format was doomed from the start. Everyone knows their origins!!

I don't think it's so much that everybody knows their origins, but that nobody cares that much about the origins of such obscure characters. I know for myself, as someone who has never really been into comics and who's primary exposure to superheroes originally came from the '90s Saturday morning cartoons, the only Iron Man I'd ever heard of was the subject of Ozzy's song. And I'm supposed to give a damn about this character? Why? Because he's a genius playboy billionaire philanthropist or somesuch? I'd say introducing the Avengers all at once as a group would give casual fans more of a reason to care about the characters individually...

Last edited:
Who's Iron Man?

You never played Marvel Super Heroes? That was Capcom's superhero franchise attempt. Some great backgrounds and a good though busted game. Injustice Infinite was terrible- with Wildcat being removed despite his popularity, and trying to replace him with his crappy "son" as a function. Some of that was incels and the r/kappa crowd complaining about him being gay, but most of it was him being boring as a character. People also hated Cyclone going away also- one of my friends loved to cosplay her.

If they try again they need to include the JSA characters.

This ended Injustice franchise's seven year run at EVO as well.

(OOC note: in this timeline , Netherrealm's crossover game was with King of Fighters- and did about as well as OTL injustice. The EVO lineup is Street Fighter 5, Mortal Kombat vs KOF 2, Samurai Shodown, RWBY- Arcsys made an all RWBY fighter, its inclusion was questionable as the game wasn't released, Undernight In-Birth, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6 and Smash Ultimate)