DBWI: Kent State worse than Jackson State

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Jackson State Shootings where white police killed 10 black student protesters. There were a couple of other similar incidents in 1970 that were overshadowed. What if another one, say for example the Kent State Shootings, had been worse?

I know it's a bit weird, but my first thought is how would that classic CSN&Y anthem "Jackson State" have been different...

Pass the Pepto-Bismol

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Jackson State Shootings where white police killed 10 black student protesters. There were a couple of other similar incidents in 1970 that were overshadowed. What if another one, say for example the Kent State Shootings, had been worse?

I know it's a bit weird, but my first thought is how would that classic CSN&Y anthem "Jackson State" have been different...
I am absolutely nauseated at the thought, being a Yank, but the outlook of the country in the immediate aftermath of Kent State is not what it is today. The media, the upper and middle classes, and government at all levels were essentially pro-National Guard. You would need the Guard to open up with concentrated machine-gun fire, just to crack the veneer of Archie Bunker mentality that still existed in the overwhelming portion of the American people. Now I'm not saying that flamethrowers and tanks running over the bodies of the students wouldn't produce national shock, but to have issued such weapons at Kent State puts you in ASB land. If the Guard had reacted like the CPD in 1968 Chicago, you'd see soldiers launching bayonet charges. If like at the Golden Temple in 1919 India, they would exhaust their ammunition firing at every possible target.

But these scenarios, as ASB as they are, are just about the only thing that would get the public to do a 180 and howl for Guardsmen blood. Which I think is the question of this thread?:confused:

A-OK

OOC: Just wanted to check... Do you understand DBWI? If so, and that post was IC, you lost me a bit.
I am very new at this, and it's been a long learning curve, I fully admit. I have tried to deal with complaints about long (and short) sentences, poor paragraphing, excessive smiles, and poor layouts. But translation of acronyms has been a matter of trial-and-error. DBWI? OOC? IC? No I really don't know the breakdown of those letters.:eek:

I understood this was a discussion about how Kent State could have been worse. It already had turned into a setting ripe for disaster because the authorities had setup a ridiculous afternoon curfew that coincided that the end of classes that day. So when the soldiers expected the field to clear suddenly hundreds of students appeared going home. The rest is infamy. I was merely going over what would be required to make things worse, that's all.

P.S. I HAVE deduced OTL, ATL, ITTL, and several others. If you feel there are other important acronyms I should know for this website, please let me know ASAP STAT!:D

UT2020: DBWI means "Double Blind What If", which is what you did here. IC means In Context, OOC means Out of Context. Welcome to the Board. :D

OOC: No worries. I should have added what I started to but wasn't quite sure about. Seeing as you did get it, I will now - excellent reply. :) You twisted my thoughts back in a way I didn't quite get at first, and that's very cool. :cool: Any IC post that's so IC that anyone questions if it's OOC is awesome indeed!

I was thinking Kent State and Jackson State swap positions, not just what if Kent State was worse...

And I've always considered the "C" to be "chraracter", as in you're posting as in or out of chraacter for a given situation...

Anywho...

IC:
What I was thinking of was race relations. The Kent State students were white while the Jackson State students were black. If the Gaurd had "gone Jackson" on the Kent State students, the BPP wouldn't have gotten as much attention. What would our inner cities look like?