DBWI: Jets win Super Bowl III

One of the most widely mocked incidents in sports history is Joe Namath's "guarantee" that his Jets, a sharp underdog to the Baltimore Colts in the third Super Bowl, would win. His team's chances lasted about a quarter as Johnny Unitas threw three touchdowns and the Colts dominated the game, 31-16, and well, the rest is history. The Jets covered the point spread, and that's about it.

Is there a way the Jets could have won, and if so, would it have altered football history?

I wonder how that changes things with Shula. Maybe he leaves Baltimore earlier, or goes somewhere else? Without the goodwill from Super Bowl III, maybe his falling out with the Colts is in '69 instead of after Super Bowl V and he never gets the LA Rams dynasty of the late 70s going.

They'd still be a punchline though.

In that city? That's a Giants town all the way. I know the Mets coexist with the Yankees and the Islanders hold their own against the Rangers, but in football, NYC is Giants-dominated and always will be.

Of course, I don't even know if winning the Super Bowl could have saved the Jets. That franchise was a mess from its inception, and the NFL always had plans for a replacement franchise for the Jets. I don't think they planned on the Seahawks getting Terry Bradshaw in 1970, though - yeah, the Rams were tough, but the Seahawks gave them two tough games in the 70s. Those games were epic - and only the Seahawks could give the Rams a game. Even Don Coryell and the high-flying Dolphins fell apart against the Rams.

Well two teams may never be the same and that's the Baltimore Colts and New England patriots

The duel in the 70s between Don Schula's team and Chuck Noll's Patriots was one to be remembered.

When you throw in Madden's Raiders you have the big three of that decade

If the Jets (ASB) had won then would Schula have stayed in Baltimore?

Patriots owner Sullivan said he was going to hire one the winners staff as the Pat's next coach so if the Colts lose instead of Noll the Pats get Clive Rush? Buddy Ryan?