DBWI: Germany with these Cold War borders

IOTL, the United States and the USSR agreed to base their borders of a divided Germany based upon their Line of Contact, resulting in the Soviets reneging on their promise of giving Poland an outlet on the Oder.
(OOC: Poland did, however, receive more parts of the Belarusian and Ukrainian SSRs, as well as all of East Prussia south of the Deyma, Pregolya, Angrapa, and Pissa Rivers)
Also, in a complete twist, a strip in the Sudetenland, extending from Reichenberg to Eger, was retained by the Germans.
Instead Berchtesgaden was lost to Austria, and small parts of Germany on the border were lost to the Netherlands and Switzerland. Heligoland reverted to British control as a Crown Dependency.
The left bank of the Rhine, plus Eupen, became a French satellite state.

However, there were originally proposals for the Allies to split Germany in such a manner which would give the Soviets all of Thuringia, Anhalt-Altmark, and Saxony, with a joint administration in Berlin, as well as drawing the German-Polish border on the Oder and Neisse Rivers. Some versions of the plan even included Stettin at the Polish side of the border. There was no mention, however, of a Dutch occupation of any German soil, the British annexation of Heligoland, nor a separate French administration of Germany in such plans.

So, suppose instead of the borders we have back in 1949, what if the red lines became the borders?

Alt Germany (cut).png

Last edited:
I can’t imagine that joint control of Berlin would remain a stable situation for very long. I mean, unless the Cold War is a lot less intense in this timeline.

I can’t imagine that joint control of Berlin would remain a stable situation for very long. I mean, unless the Cold War is a lot less intense in this timeline.
Well, OTL proved that proposal to be unrealistic, and both the Western and Eastern Blocs went into infighting for a while in the 1960s. West Germany resented the French for their Rhenish Protectorate, while both Czechoslovakia and Poland were pissed by East Germany retaining a part of the Sudetenland. Spain was hated by both sides for their retention of Fascism.

If Berlin was jointly administered, God knows what would happen to the Eastern Bloc. Perhaps instead of a Czechoslovak-Soviet animosity, we might get an East German-Soviet one...

both Czechoslovakia and Poland were pissed by East Germany retaining a part of the Sudetenland
Which is why Czechoslovakia and Poland had under-the-table deals with both Yugoslavia and the People's Republic of China (North China).
West Germany resented the French for their Rhenish Protectorate
Which explains why West Germany and the Republic of China (South China) have very good relations to this day with Nanjing's closest Western ally being the Federal Republic of Germany even after both China and Germany reunited,

Well, OTL proved that proposal to be unrealistic, and both the Western and Eastern Blocs went into infighting for a while in the 1960s. West Germany resented the French for their Rhenish Protectorate, while both Czechoslovakia and Poland were pissed by East Germany retaining a part of the Sudetenland. Spain was hated by both sides for their retention of Fascism.

If Berlin was jointly administered, God knows what would happen to the Eastern Bloc. Perhaps instead of a Czechoslovak-Soviet animosity, we might get an East German-Soviet one...
Would be funny if East Germany ended up even more hardcore communist than the USSR.

Which is why Czechoslovakia and Poland had under-the-table deals with both Yugoslavia and the People's Republic of China (North China).
I understand why Czechoslovakia had those deals as the occupational authorities essentially sent a message that the Munich Agreement was valid, but I never quite understood why Poland did so. It's not like they weren't allowed to retain their annexations in Teschen, and until 1949 nothing is set in stone.
Which explains why West Germany and the Republic of China (South China) have very good relations to this day with Nanjing's closest Western ally being the Federal Republic of Germany even after both China and Germany reunited,
Speaking of which, how would Sino-German and French-German relations change if the red borders were enacted instead?

Last edited: